• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Coachella 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clydefrog

Haha, you fools! I bought my ticket months and months ago, not knowing how awesome the lineup would be. I'll be sittin' pretty in my tent.

http://www.radiohead.com/tourdates/

There are tickets here if you click through. If you see sold out try going back and clicking the button again. I purchased weekend 1 tickets about an hour ago but just did it again on a lark and had the add to cart option pop up again. They've been trickling out tickets all morning.

http://www.radiohead.com/tourdates/

There are tickets here if you click through. If you see sold out try going back and clicking the button again. I purchased weekend 1 tickets about an hour ago but just did it again on a lark and had the add to cart option pop up again. They've been trickling out tickets all morning.

Tried to get 2 for weekend 2 but the next page said not enough tickets and sent me back to the main page :/

Woot! Upside got my tickets. Downside my wifes sister is tagging along. Secured weekend 2 tickets so thats wicked.

Weekend 2 Coachella NeoGAF unite!

Meh, Primavera 2012 line-up looks better to me

prehome_bcn.jpg

Plus, it's in Barcelona. Officially the best place for a festival in the world ever

Lottery for sure. Not sure why they don't just do something like:

1) make you upload a picture per person to be used on each individual bracelet
2) allow you to return your ticket as long as you do so 2 wks prior to event

no more damn scalpers

Lottery for sure. Not sure why they don't just do something like:

1) make you upload a picture per person to be used on each individual bracelet
2) allow you to return your ticket as long as you do so 2 wks prior to event

no more damn scalpers
coachella has been the largest festival in north america for several years running, but still several orders of magnitude smaller than glasto until this year. it's going to be another "growing pain" like what happened in 2010 with over-crowding and rampant gatecrashing and fake tickets but i think its finally to the point where goldenvoice needs to look at how glastonbury handles their ticket sales/system for next year. definitely agree on the return system and the photo IDs.

coachella has been the largest festival in north america for several years running, but still several orders of magnitude smaller than glasto until this year. it's going to be another "growing pain" like what happened in 2010 with over-crowding and rampant gatecrashing and fake tickets but i think its finally to the point where goldenvoice needs to look at how glastonbury handles their ticket sales/system for next year. definitely agree on the return system and the photo IDs.

2010 was the last time i went, can you elaborate on the crowding/crashing etc? Is that not the normal amount of people?

I was...um... not in a state to notice such things.

Also Sweeeeet

2010 was the last time i went, can you elaborate on the crowding/crashing etc? Is that not the normal amount of people?

I was...um... not in a state to notice such things.

Also Sweeeeet
estimates range the number of gatecrahers/fake ticket holders to be from 5,000 to over 20,000. the truth is probably nearer to 5,000 but when the venue is built to hold 75,000 people, an additional 5,000 people can make a huge different.

2010 is the worst year for crowds i've ever seen in the six times that i've attended(2006-2011). 2008 was pretty relaxed (the fest didn't even sell out) and last year was amazing with the additional stage and ground space they added.

I remember there were a lot of fake wristbands sold by scalpers or something like that
the issue was that on the first and i believe 2nd day, the scanners they were using for the wristbands stopped functioning properly. they were reading legitimate bands as fake or simply not at all. goldenvoice instructed the gate personnel to start manually counting tickets to issue wristbands (of which they ran out of somehow).

what ended up happening is that some people were allowed in without a wristband but with a printed ticket. this basically resulted in thousands of people using duplicate ticket print-outs/copies to enter the festival. additionally with the clusterfuck at the gates security was more lax in keeping fence-hoppers out. i witnessed at least 20-30 people jump over a fence at one point, no wristbands, and nobody stopped them.

estimates range the number of gatecrahers/fake ticket holders to be from 5,000 to over 20,000. the truth is probably nearer to 5,000 but when the venue is built to hold 75,000 people, an additional 5,000 people can make a huge different.

2010 is the worst year for crowds i've ever seen in the six times that i've attended(2006-2011). 2008 was pretty relaxed (the fest didn't even sell out) and last year was amazing with the additional stage and ground space they added.
Yeah last year wasn't nearly as crowded. They also sold fewer tickets, if I remember correctly. only 70K

Now it is time to implement step 2... Band list management for maximum music experience.

Remember to have at least 3 lists in case something happens such as battling through hordes of stoned zombies and not making your next band in time (possible second closer selection could be a possibility given distance to target and factors such as overall hunger, energy, need to use blue box of relief or quench your thirst with an overpriced horrid selection of beer).

Then off to step 3. Gear allowed... You might have to sneak that super awesome camera lens in an area that super awesome camera lenses should not go. Don't subject your lenses and you to such torture. Find the right bag and look innocent, security won’t give you grief. Don't forget the recording devices... Tape trees did not die with the Grateful Dead and you are going to want to record some of the shows you go to.

Sullichin

Hell yeah. Going to weekend 1. Radiohead! Jeff Mangum! Modeselektor! Flying Lotus! Dr. Dre! Beats Antique! Sebastian! Gaslamp killer! Fuck. So much good music. Never been to coachella before, gonna be coming all the way from Jersey. So pumped!

Getting tickets was a massive fucking bitch though. My credit card was flagged for fraud and by the time i got back to Radiohead's stie to buy them, they were sold out there and on coachella.com. But my friend got me an extra.

Puddles

Banned
It's crazy that both weekends are sold out. I went every year from 06 to 09, and 07 was the only year when tickets were even slightly difficult to get. And that was for Rage Against the Machine playing their first live show in six years.

So what to do if you're left out in the cold?

First things first: don't buy anything right now. Tickets on the secondary market are at their highest levels right after a show sells out, as people start panicking. Right now, everyone selling a ticket is a scalper.

What you want to do is wait for the people who suddenly find out they can't go. Work, or a family emergency, or a wedding, or something else comes up, and they need to sell their tickets. These people generally aren't interested in making a profit and will usually take face value (or less in some cases). You'll start to see these people pop up on message boards and on craigslist over the coming months, but especially in late March and early April.

Now craigslist has become rife with scammers over the past few years. Here are some guidelines for buying tickets on craigslist:

- Meet at the seller's house. Don't meet in a parking lot or some other crowded place. You want to know where this person lives.

- While talking to them on the phone, tell them up front that you'll want to see photo ID.

- Find out why they can't go. They should have a legitimate story.

- If they seem sketchy, bail out.

So guys, I got a GA pass with shuttle as they were the only ones left. But I'm in the UK so how does it work with shipping? The website says shuttle passes must be shipped, but does this apply to shuttle passes only, and not the ones joint with the GA pass?

I am confuzzled!

So guys, I got a GA pass with shuttle as they were the only ones left. But I'm in the UK so how does it work with shipping? The website says shuttle passes must be shipped, but does this apply to shuttle passes only, and not the ones joint with the GA pass?

I am confuzzled!
I haven't seen the shuttle pass, but I assume it's going to be something to do with the wristband. They are going to physically ship you the wristband, and you better bring it with you.

I haven't seen the shuttle pass, but I assume it's going to be something to do with the wristband. They are going to physically ship you the wristband, and you better bring it with you.

They said it would be that call thing for it though since it's inernational. This doesn't make sense. Are they going to ship the shuttle passes but make us pick up the GA passes over in the US? :s

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Got a Week 2 ticket! 2nd week Gaf unite!

Someone should make a Coachella OT. I've never been so maybe someone with experience who can give advice?

And we should def have a mini Gaf meetup. I've met gaffers before and still have my kidneys so y'all better come out.

Puddles

Banned
Got a Week 2 ticket! 2nd week Gaf unite!

Someone should make a Coachella OT. I've never been so maybe someone with experience who can give advice?

And we should def have a mini Gaf meetup. I've met gaffers before and still have my kidneys so y'all better come out.

If I end up buying Week 2 tickets, I'd be down for a meetup. I'm gonna target Week 1, but it depends on the price and what's available.

Advice?

- Get a refillable bottle and learn the location of the water spigots.
- Don't lose your schedule/map.
- Have a plan for the day ahead of time, but be ready to change if an act is delayed or sucks.
- Join the coachella.com forum and research the artists that a lot of people seem to be excited about. Most of the time, those artists will be good.
- Find out which artists are known for good live performances and target those.

Not sure if you're into weed, but if you are:

- Roll joints ahead of time.
- Don't smoke on the periphery of a crowd. Only do it when you're inside the crowd.
- If you see anybody getting arrested, note the appearance of the arresting officer. Learn to spot the signs of an undercover officer.
- If you wait to smoke until the music starts, and you're inside the crowd, you'll almost certainly be fine.

Fiftyeight

Neo Member
I lucked out and scored one ticket for weekend 2 just minutes before they sold out.

If anybody has extra tickets for weekend 2 that they're looking to sell, please let me know. I've got a few less lucky friends who were supposed to make a trip out of this with me.

Have fun, I've been to coachella a bunch, just be smart about the drugs you're taking, its also most likely going to be really hot, drink alot of water.

tm24

my one and only coachella tip is to drink water.

seriously though, drink water.

Additional pro-tip. Spend the money on the refillable container. You'll be glad.

Can't wait for the 40 minute walk to my house/campgrounds. My body hates me so much after that

So what to do if you're left out in the cold?

First things first: don't buy anything right now. Tickets on the secondary market are at their highest levels right after a show sells out, as people start panicking. Right now, everyone selling a ticket is a scalper.
i would highly advise signing up on the coachella forums. they monitor the selling forum to ensure people are selling for face value. the members are pretty good at policing it as well.

It is *possible* I have an extra weekend 1 ticket coming my way. If my friends in line fall through I'd be willing to let it go to anybody here who got screwed over.

Ermac

tumblr_m0xrv3wv921qg35s9o1_1280.png

:)

Is someone gonna make an OT? I would but this is my first time going. Would prob be best for someone who's gone before to do it.

Seeing La Roux there gives me hope she will have some new stuff for us.

Really, an incredible line up, though

and now I've read she has cancelled =(

That's cool! I wonder if us picking up our passes at will call will get the same package.

Question about that actually: Does anyone know exactly where we have to go to pick up our tickets and shuttle passes? I have a shuttle pass from Indian Wells Tennis Gardens but I'm not sure where or when we need to get our tickets.

I heard she cancelled :/

Sai-kun

Banned

and now I've read she has cancelled =(

Yeah, they fucking cancelled. They were gonna play new shit, too. I can't believe it. I was so pissed when I read it, because they were the reason I was going in the first place. :/ I still have a ton of other people I wanna see but still, it blows.

When are they gonna announce the official times/schedules for this? I really wanna know what acts I'm gonna get screwed out of seeing :(

Meier

If ya know what's good for you, you'll catch Noel's set. The tracks he's playing from oasis are timeless classic and his new solo stuff is really quite good. One of these days I will make it to Coachella.. it's right around my birthday every year and I've been dying to go forever. Some day..

tumblr_m0xrv3wv921qg35s9o1_1280.png

:)

Is someone gonna make an OT? I would but this is my first time going. Would prob be best for someone who's gone before to do it.
This thread is 3 pages long and has all the info an OT would have. I think it counts as the "OT."

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
me and my buddies got our passes and car camping spots. that radiohead set is gonna top last year's arcade fire. i can feel it in my jon bones.

btw guys we have an extra car camping spot if anyone needs one, just PM me.

zENSU.jpg

Ermac

I have a extra bus shuttle pass if anyone wants on, PM me.

I went to the Phish Halloween festival on the Coachella grounds in 2009. That is one of the most spectacular places to see music I've ever seen. Of course, it was late October when I went. I can imagine it being a little warmer when you guys go.

N4Us

When are they gonna announce the official times/schedules for this? I really wanna know what acts I'm gonna get screwed out of seeing :(

They're usually up on the site a couple days before the event, usually on the Tuesday or Wednesday of the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom