• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 8| The best X-loss teams in the nation

Oregon hasn't really beaten anybody... well, they had one good win but that good win has now lost 3 in a row. Washington was the only ranked team they've played so far. The rest has been beating up on cupcakes like Nicholls State or the worst teams in the Pac-12 (Cal and Colorado) and the ACC (Virginia).

They'll get a bump if (when) they beat ucla and Stanford the next couple of weeks.

Meier

It sounds like Mizzou is ahead of Oregon in some computer polls due to the fact Oregon doesn't really have the good wins yet.. so once Mizzou loses and/or Oregon wins against a top team, they'll probably get a bump.

Bama beating VTech, A&M and Ole Miss is more impressive than us beating just Clemson.

Beating Ole Miss as a reason to be impressed is hard to swallow.Texas A&M has one of the 10 worst defenses in college football. VTech got taken to triple overtime by Marshall but is still most likely Alabama's best win thus far.

I would take a road win over Clemson over these three wins combined to be honest.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I can't believe that the best team in the BCS era isn't even in the top 3. Do these pollsters and computers even lift?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
It sounds like Mizzou is ahead of Oregon in some computer polls due to the fact Oregon doesn't really have the good wins yet.. so once Mizzou loses and/or Oregon wins against a top team, they'll probably get a bump.

Yeah, it is hard to say what happens in two weeks since Oregon has the opportunity for two good wins and we have the opportunity for just one. I think they jump us next week and then it is real close on November 3rd.

MIMIC

Banned
Are we Boise State now? :(

Fake edit: *looks at the win-loss record of Ohio State's remaining opponents*

OMG ;_;

edit: I guess our only hope (other than the teams above us losing) is the Big 10 championship game and hope that Michigan State continues to win.

mre

Yeah, it is hard to say what happens in two weeks since Oregon has the opportunity for two good wins and we have the opportunity for just one. I think they jump us next week and then it is real close on November 3rd.
I take solace in the fact that when FSU beats us next weekend, it will move them down in the polls.

Balphon

Let's just root for Bama to lose.

FSU vs Oregon sounds like a pretty awesome NCG right now.

I take solace in the fact that when FSU beats us next weekend, it will move them down in the polls.

It's good that we can count on NCSU's torrent of suck to bring down everyone around it.

Enfinit

I don't understand why everyone's assuming Oregon's going undefeated. They have an extremely difficult schedule in the upcoming weeks, and I'm not necessarily a believer they're going to get through all of them with a W. Oregon has an unbelievable track record of dropping a game every season.

Are we Boise State now? :(

Fake edit: *looks at the win-loss record of Ohio State's remaining opponents*

OMG ;_;

edit: I guess our only hope is the Big 10 championship game and hope that Michigan State continues to win.

All Ohio State has to do is hope they are one of two undefeated teams at the end of the season which is highly likely.

Unless you think a repeat of 2003 is going to happen (the last time we had 3 undefeated teams before the bowl season started, where Auburn got left out because the SEC was a complete joke back then)

mre

IF we make it to the MNC game this year, I will personally buy John Fulton a ticket to Miami.

Balphon

I don't understand why everyone's assuming Oregon's going undefeated. They have an extremely difficult schedule in the upcoming weeks, and I'm not necessarily a believer they're going to get through all of them with a W. Oregon has an unbelievable track record of dropping a game every season.

2 out of the last 3 seasons is an unbelievable track record? :p

It's silly to assume any team will go undefeated. Big upsets happen all the time. Hell, FSU played Boston College way closer than they should have not three weeks ago.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
AUGusBus.jpg

For anyone wanting to jump on the Gus Bus.

IF we make it to the MNC game this year, I will personally buy John Fulton a ticket to Miami.

ISWYDT

Piano

Banned
If Alabama, Oregon and FSU all win out there's not much of a shot FSU can stay in the top 2.

The only way I could see it happen is if they beat a #7 Miami, who then subsequently loses to VTech and then VTech wins out, climbs to around #10 and FSU beats them in the ACC Championship.

Otherwise I see Alabama / Oregon as 1 & 2. Even as a Noles fan they definitely deserve it.

Now, if OSU or Mizzou jump an undefeated FSU...

...that would be fucking garbage.

If Alabama, Oregon and FSU all win out there's not much of a shot FSU can stay in the top 2.

The only way I could see it happen is if they beat a #7 Miami, who then subsequently loses to VTech and then VTech wins out, climbs to around #10 and FSU beats them in the ACC Championship.

Otherwise I see Alabama / Oregon as 1 & 2. Even as a Noles fan they definitely deserve it.

Now, if OSU or Mizzou jump an undefeated FSU...

...that would be fucking garbage.

Mizzou will have to play Bama in the SEC CG, so that one will sort itself out

Enfinit

2 out of the last 3 seasons is an unbelievable track record? :p
2012 - Lost to Stanford
2011 - Lost to LSU, USC
2010 - Undefeated
2009 - Lost to Boise State, Stanford
2008 - Lost to Boise State, USC, Cal

Maybe "unbelievable" wasn't the correct adjective, but 4/5 seasons is certainly a track record.

Oregon's remaining schedule is way tougher than FSU's, that computer lead isn't gonna last
Again, the assumption that Oregon isn't going to lose is off the charts.

Piano

Banned

True, forgot about that.

2012 - Lost to Stanford
2011 - Lost to LSU, USC
2010 - Undefeated
2009 - Lost Boise State, Stanford
2008 - Lost Boise State, USC, Cal

Maybe "unbelievable" wasn't the correct adjective, but 4/5 seasons is certainly a track record.

FSU's track record OF fucking up easy games is VERY GOOD.
read: FSU fucks up lots of easy games.

edit: FIXED.
edit: FIXED AGAIN

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Yeah if Mizzou wins out, meaning beating likely Bama in the SECCG, i don't necessarily have an issue with them going ahead of us.

Regardless it is way too early to be guessing about ways to be pissed off. We still have to win out with lots of bumps, so does Oregon, so does Bama, so does Mizzou, and so does tOSU... Ok maybe not that last crappy team who some claim is the greatest of the BCS era.

How can you even claim a team is the greatest of the BCS era when their team didn't win a BCS game with a combination of a hook and ladder and going for two (when one would tie) using a statue of liberty play? And then the MVP proposes to their cheerleader girlfriend? Was that tOSU? No? Then they aren't the kings of the BCS era. All hail Boise State.

Of course, at this point, tOSU might as well be Boise State.

Once in the BCS era we have had three undefeated teams from major conferences. These hypotheticals are fun but mean nothing in the long run, the teams that are able to win out have a near 100% chance of playing for the title based on recent events.

Win your games, ignore everyone else. You are in (unless you are Auburn lol)

Balphon

2012 - Lost to Stanford
2011 - Lost to LSU, USC
2010 - Undefeated

Oregon wasn't in the NC conversation for 2008 and 2009. We were in 2007, but that season was crazy all around and the team collapsed due to injuries.

So is the assumption that FSU isn't going to lose. But so long as we're "stating facts," Oregon will almost certainly jump FSU if both win out. Though, as you say, it's a big if.

2012 - Lost to Stanford
2011 - Lost to LSU, USC
2010 - Undefeated

if one of them lose, this entire discussion is pointless

Enfinit

So is the assumption that FSU isn't going to lose. But so long as we're "stating facts," Oregon will almost certainly jump FSU if both win out. Though, as you say, it's a big if.

FSU has a much easier path to being undefeated than Oregon does.

if one of them lose, this entire discussion is pointless
Exactly. My point being, Oregon is statistically likelier to lose than FSU. Yes, their schedule is much stronger than FSU's, so if they DO win-out, it'll look exceptional.

However, what many people here neglect, a strong schedule doesn't just make wins look better - they also pose more probable losses.

Karl2177

Here's where things could get messed up. Bama only loses to Auburn. Auburn wins out their season. This means an Auburn/Mizzou SEC championship game. Auburn wins it. Now you have 3 1 loss SEC teams. Do any of them gain an advantage over undefeated OSU, Oregon, FSU/Miami, or Baylor/TTU?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Here's where things could get messed up. Bama only loses to Auburn. Auburn wins out their season. This means an Auburn/Mizzou SEC championship game. Auburn wins it. Now you have 3 1 loss SEC teams. Do any of them gain an advantage over undefeated OSU, Oregon, FSU/Miami, or Baylor/TTU?

No. Not Oregon, FSU or Miami anyway. Maybe tOSU. Because they aren't in a major conference anymore.

Nope.

No chance a 1 loss team from any conference gets in over an undefeated team from a major conference (ACC-B1G-Big XII-Pac10-SEC)

No chance. Lest we forget the only reason Alabama even made the title game last year is because Oregon laid an egg.

Alabama, Oregon, FSU, Ohio State will all be undefeated.

Would have been a great year if the four team playoff was in as I think they are all pretty evenly matched.

After Saturday, FSU is my pick to win it.

They have the best combined offence and defence.

Bama's offense is not good enough.
Oregon's defence is the worst out of the above four teams.
Ohio State doesnt have as good offense or defense as FSU.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Alabama, Oregon, FSU, Ohio State will all be undefeated.

Would have been a great year if the four team playoff was in as I think they are all pretty evenly matched.

After Saturday, FSU is my pick to win it.

They have the best combined offence and defence.

Bama's offense is not good enough.
Oregon's defence is the worst out of the above four teams.
Ohio State doesnt have as good offense or defense as FSU.

Bama's consistency should be enough for anyone trying to pick someone at this point. Week in week out they are way better than everyone else. 44 game win streak against unranked opponents is awesome.

Top Bottom