• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 8| The best X-loss teams in the nation

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Well, to paraphrase the YPP defensively rating for Alabama (#13 total) and OSUn's (31st), they actually played a team in the top 10 for Offensive YPP this year, and no, Clemson didn't shoot down because they played FSU (Their 6.3 ypp would be about 30th)

FSU's Best: 21st Maryland (50th Pitt would be next, followed by 51st Clemson)
Oregon's: 49th Washington (69th WSU would be next)

OSUn: 7th Wisconsin (58th Northwestern would be next)
Alabama: 6th A&M (55th Kentucky would be next)

Stats for EVERYTHING.

(Healthy JFF + Healthy Mike Evans + John Fulton - Deion Belue = W)$*GH#P($V*NSD) Good thing that Oregon's offense isn't based on "run around for 15 seconds and then run or pass.

How on earth is Ole Miss behind Kentucky in YPP? #60? That's really surprising to me.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
How on earth is Ole Miss behind Kentucky in YPP? #60? That's really surprising to me.

Maybe going fast means smaller chunks of yards at a time? But really, looks like going apeshit on the horrible Miami of Ohio boosts them. But damn, they averaged 5 ypp against South Carolina.

A&M's highest YPP came against Alabama (hey, apparently, having a 1 play for 95 yards will furk you up)

:lol, take away that one play, and Alabama's tied with Oregon on Defensive YPP. Mike Evans should be a Top 5 pick.

Remember that "Sagarin" should always be prefaced with "noted Pac-10 homer."

he should fix it then, if Oregon is #5 :p

Maybe going fast means smaller chunks of yards at a time? But really, looks like going apeshit on the horrible Miami of Ohio boosts them. But damn, they averaged 5 ypp against South Carolina.

A&M's highest YPP came against Alabama (hey, apparently, having a 1 play for 95 yards will furk you up)

funny, going fast makes Oregon's defense look worse than they really are

Lonestar

Anyone else want to create College Football Fighting Game with cheat codes?

Something along the line of SaltyBet?

hK9Cbc3.jpg
Oh yeah, might as well post a photo from my seat. I need to make more money, to afford more tickets. Stupid decade long waiting list...

I Push Fat Kids said:
Yards per play rank out of the four:

3. FSU
8. Oregon (see Leach is low class comments)
13. Alabama
31. Ohio State

Seriously though, go here to be better informed.

Stats are not the best indication of ability in college football because no two teams have the same schedule. And then you can't go back into previous years as teams differ so much each year.

Also, you are talking about Yards per play, is that a defensive or offensive stat?

You can only really base the current teams against each other and from what I have seen, Oregon have the weakest defense of the four.

I Push Fat Kids said:
I'd rank them defensively:

1. Bama
2. FSU
3. Oregon
4. OSU

So now you rank them as having the third best defense out of the four, which isnt too far different than my opinion.

I'd argue that Ohio St's opponents have so far been better than Oregon. Wisconsin has the best offense of all the teams that either team has played. They scored 24pts against Ohio St which is a good indication to me that Ohio St have a good defense.

I'm yet to see Oregon under the same sort of offensive pressure that OSU got from Wisconsin (two awesome running backs and an awesome wide receiver).

Washington has a decent offense but not as good as Wisconsin. They provided Oregon a pretty good work out and scored 24pts against them.

Based on what I have seen Ohio St has a better defense than Oregon but worse than Alabama and FSU.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like Shaw isn't playing against Mizzou. If so they should cruise until they play JFF and Evans, but upsets aren't exactly out of the ordinary at the moment.

Also, you are talking about Yards per play, is that a defensive or offensive stat?

It's both, since the offense earns YPP and the defense gives up YPP.

In either case you have to factor in the quality of the opposing offense/defense though. Baylor, for example, looks really good in terms of how few yards they've given up but the best team they've played on offense is KSU, who is 46 in YPP and 76 in YPG. Second best is WVU, 84 in YPP and 78 in YPG. Easy to pad stats against cupcakes, on both offense and defense.

It's both, since the offense earns YPP and the defense gives up YPP.

In either case you have to factor in the quality of the opposing offense/defense though. Baylor, for example, looks really good in terms of how few yards they've given up but the best team they've played on offense is KSU, who is 46 in YPP and 76 in YPG. Second best is WVU, 84 in YPP and 78 in YPG. Easy to pad stats against cupcakes, on both offense and defense.

Cheers for the clarification.

Yes, I agree you have to base it on the quality of the opposition.

Wisconsin and Northwestern (two best teams Ohio State have played) have better offenses than Washington and Washington State (two best teams Oregon have played).

Yet OSU gave up less points to those teams compared to what Oregon gave up.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Wisconsin is in the top 10 on offense, but Northwestern is actually ranked lower than both Washington teams (well, better than Washington St. on YPP, not YPG, but that's probably distorted due to the Air Raid).

But then you have to determine the competition of those teams and it becomes a messy tangled web of who-gives-a-shit-let's-just-see-what-happens.

Wisconsin is in the top 10 on offense, but Northwestern is actually ranked lower than both Washington teams (well, better than Washington St. on YPP, not YPG, but that's probably distorted due to the Air Raid).

But then you have to determine the competition of those teams and it becomes a messy tangled web of who-gives-a-shit-let's-just-see-what-happens.

yep, its a huge messy tangled web that is for sure.

I only base my opinion on what I have seen. And from what I have seen, Ohio St have a better defense than Oregon.

I can't articulate exactly why I think that, but its got something to with the balance of Ohio St's defense. It doesn't rely on a couple of players but many good players, hence why they defended well against Wisconsin who can run (with Guiton, Gordon etc) and throw with Abbredaris. If they had a decent QB, and not a choker like Save (or whatever his name is) Wisconsin would be one of the best offenses in CFB.

It's sounds like what Bill Murray said about Chevy Chase. Paraphrased:

When someone gets famous they become an asshole. Can't be helped. They either sort it out after several months or they permanently become an asshole.

JFF has taken the latter route, it seems.

Given Johnny's family, I'm guessing he's probably been an asshole his entire life.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I can't imagine this lasts as I can't see us going undefeated, but if before the season you had offered me a season which saw us hit the top 10 at some point regardless of final standing I'd probably have taken it without a second thought.

True freshman QBs, shallow OL, young first time head coach, and our fifth defensive coordinator in 5 years? At 7-0 right now we're playing with house money for the rest of the season. I think I'll probably be satisfied with anything better than 0-5 to finish the season at this point.

Meier

In related news: David Ash, the actual QB for Texas, is out again for the next game against TCU. I'm starting to worry about his career at this point.

Usually if concussion symptoms persist or if someone gets two very quickly, they shut someone down for the remainder of the year at a minimum. I would be surprised if we see him again this season.

Meier

No, no - like I said, he's on my good side. Firmly so at that. Just saying, the potential for high degrees of annoyance is there. It's early.

I think the fact he is so humble helps balance out his big personality. He's playing great but never answers the questions about his individual success with any talk of himself -- it's always about his OL, his receivers, his defense, etc. Really refreshing.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
P.S. Can we please have Luke Del Rio back? We'll give him a scholarship and everything!
Sorry, he's our 3rd string at the moment. We do have a 5th string ginger QB you can have. I'll even thrown in a senior CB with starting experience.

Lonestar

holy shit, there are gingers, and then there are GINGERS

:lol, Limedust hasn't been on GAF in a couple of days.

Meier

I was reading the Heisman Pundit site this weekend and noticed the O/U in the FSU-Clemson game was 63.5. That TD with 15 seconds left for Clemson sure made a lot of people upset and/or happy.

Lonestar

Whoa... I am stunned into silence by his incredible ginger-ness.

This guy is clearly the result of an experiment to splice the DNA of Brandon Weeden and Andy Dalton to create the ultimate ginger QB.

That 1st picture, he barely has enough flesh tone in his skin, to stand out from the white background.

Enfinit

I think the fact he is so humble helps balance out his big personality. He's playing great but never answers the questions about his individual success with any talk of himself -- it's always about his OL, his receivers, his defense, etc. Really refreshing.
Exactly. I would pay money to the person who finds a post-game interview with Jameis where he credits only himself. Every single interview, every single one, the interviewer ALWAYS tries to get Jameis to talk about himself. He always credits his receivers and guys around him much more than himself. It's extraordinarily refreshing.

Prime example: Clemson post-game interview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roJywFHwWKc

For a guy who's shot to stardom overnight, his humbleness and confidence is astounding.

Sometimes I really like Brian Kelly's dry sense of humor.

From Sunday's teleconference:

Q. 5‑2, not ranked. One of the handful of times in Notre Dame that's happened. Any thoughts on that?
COACH KELLY: Must be a conspiracy.

I was reading the Heisman Pundit site this weekend and noticed the O/U in the FSU-Clemson game was 63.5. That TD with 15 seconds left for Clemson sure made a lot of people upset and/or happy.

I know those of us still at Death Valley at that point were happy. After that slaughter we were willing to celebrate anything.

Carlos Hyde has not had a negative or no gain run this entire season, meanwhile Michigans Fitz Toussaint has 11 of his 32 go for no gain or negative yards against Indiana.

Lonestar

almost expect multiple days worth of Meltdown.

But I assume it'll be LSU and A&M heavy, followed by South Carolina and Clemson. UGA and Florida are so beaten up, and on their 3rd loss, I imagine most "meltdown posts" are apathetic.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
almost expect multiple days worth of Meltdown.

But I assume it'll be LSU and A&M heavy, followed by South Carolina and Clemson. UGA and Florida are so beaten up, and on their 3rd loss, I imagine most "meltdown posts" are apathetic.
Yeah, but UGA lost to Vandy. That still stings, no matter what you've done before.

Lonestar

You know your defense is bad when Auburn is throwing on you.

I've seen people starting rumors of UGA firing Grantham. Either now, or end of year.

Jeff-DSA

Sometimes I really like Brian Kelly's dry sense of humor.

From Sunday's teleconference:

Q. 5‑2, not ranked. One of the handful of times in Notre Dame that's happened. Any thoughts on that?
COACH KELLY: Must be a conspiracy.

It's in anticipation of their loss to BYU. You don't get to be ranked if you lose to BYU this year.

Meier

cpat.gif

Bowden is going to be honored at the NC State game this weekend. 250-300 former players will line the field while he plants the spear.

Top Bottom