• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 8| The best X-loss teams in the nation

Bama's consistency should be enough for anyone trying to pick someone at this point. Week in week out they are way better than everyone else. 44 game win streak against unranked opponents is awesome.

yeah, I think that they should be in the championship game as they are the reigning champion and so would be good if they got the chance to remain or pass the baton on.

Jameis Winston though, he was unbelievable. I would like to see him win the Championship and Heisman as a freshman.

Instantly eclipse Johnny Manziel. It would really annoy him.

Johnny is still the best to watch in CFB though. Every TAM drive you feel as though they could score.

If he rests this week, they will lose.

I have never really wished anyone to get hurt, but I would be 100% fine with JFF breaking a leg

JFF = Johnny F'ing Football = Johnny Manziel??

He is annoying which is why I would like Famous Jameis to win the MNC and Heisman.

Then, in the future, Johnny couldnt ever be mentioned as the greatest freshman ever without Jameis' name popping up.

I couldnt wish for an injury on someone, so I will wish for Jameis to eclipse JFF.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I feel like JFF gets the hate because of people's reactions to him not his own actions. Like Tebow. Jameis could easily have the same fate.

Quake1028

God, I cannot stomach the thought of losing to FSU twice in one season. I don't think it will come to that, because VaTech is too tough of a game after a big rivalry game, but still, the mere thought gives me the creeps.

You know, Famous Jameis has his own little "I'm swag as fuck" thing going on that could get very old very quickly. I like him way more than Manziel for now, but we'll see. It's only been half a season.

cashman

Banned
In related news: David Ash, the actual QB for Texas, is out again for the next game against TCU. I'm starting to worry about his career at this point.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Bama's consistency should be enough for anyone trying to pick someone at this point. Week in week out they are way better than everyone else. 44 game win streak against unranked opponents is awesome.

No Upsets for us in awhile, thank God.

Bama is 18-7 since 2008 against Ranked teams

Same time period:
Oregon is 8-7
LSU is 12-14
OSUn is 10-8
FSU is 8-12
Stanford is 9-7
Georgia is 7-18
Florida is 11-17
Boise State is 5-4

All this is by me adding the records from cfbstats.com by memory, so I'm probably off by 100%, but it's up to you to prove your math is good.

Kacar

tOSU would still make it over any one-loss team I still think, well at least I hope. We need UM and MSU to win most of their games so we have more quality oppanents at the end of the year.

Would be pretty funny if the year before a 4 game playoff if 4 AQ conference teams all finished undefeated, but this is the time of the year that the undefeated start thinning out, theres really nothing we can do but keep winning.

Edit: over any one loss except Bama I think. If their loss was really close or something.

In related news: David Ash, the actual QB for Texas, is out again for the next game against TCU. I'm starting to worry about his career at this point.

Yeah unfortunately he will forever be at a high risk for concussions so he'll need to evaluate the risk v. reward at some point. A few years ago our RB Tre Newton decided to hang it up after all the concussions he endured. I don't know how many months/years off your life a concussion can take, but if you're not a high NFL prospect looking at a future 7 figure salary, I wouldn't see much of a reason to keep potentially cutting away at your lifespan with every blow

Gator boards are on fire about Pease. Even dug into Baylor boards from 2005 and found the exact same criticisms being leveled against the Gator offense right now.

Don't take his confidence as cockiness.

It's sounds like what Bill Murray said about Chevy Chase. Paraphrased:

When someone gets famous they become an asshole. Can't be helped. They either sort it out after several months or they permanently become an asshole.

JFF has taken the latter route, it seems.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Gator boards are on fire about Pease. Even dug into Baylor boards from 2005 and found the exact same criticisms being leveled against the Gator offense right now.
Baylor boards existed back in 2005?

Baylor boards exist today?

You know what the problem of Baylor in 2005 was?

They were Baylor.

And once Art Briles leaves, they will probably regress to Baylor again.

That "OSU is the best BCS-era team" discussion from earlier today was just ridiculous. OSU hasn't been nearly as bad as the media and nerds on the Internet would have you believe, but with one title and no victories* over the SEC over the last eight years, they're nowhere near the top. Whoever had them fourth/fifth in the BCS era seems about right.

I also hate that 2007 gets held against Ohio State. 2007 was a complete dumpster fire, NOBODY seemed to want to win that thing. I think OSU dropped completely out of the top five with four weeks to go after losing to Illinois. Everybody thought they were out of the title discussion; that was the textbook definition of backing into the title game. Wasn't that also the year of LSU being undefeated in regulation?

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
That "OSU is the best BCS-era team" discussion from earlier today was just ridiculous. OSU hasn't been nearly as bad as the media and nerds on the Internet would have you believe, but with one title and no victories* over the SEC over the last eight years, they're nowhere near the top. Whoever had them fourth/fifth in the BCS era seems about right.

I also hate that 2007 gets held against Ohio State. 2007 was a complete dumpster fire, NOBODY seemed to want to win that thing. I think OSU dropped completely out of the top five with four weeks to go after losing to Illinois. Everybody thought they were out of the title discussion; that was the textbook definition of backing into the title game. Wasn't that also the year of LSU being undefeated in regulation?
Yep.

Kacar

We had Todd Boeckman at qb, It was literally a miracle we were in the MNC.

Lonestar

Hmmm, so Sagarin is part of the BCS deciding factor, huh?

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2013/10/bethune-cookman_no_4_in_bcs_sa.html
1. FSU
2. Alabama
3. Missouri
4. Bethune Cookman
5. Oregon
6. Northern Illinois
7. Fordham
8. Oregon State
9. Virginia Tech
10. Coastal Carolina
11. Ohio State
12. North Dakota State
13. Auburn
14. Texas Tech
15. UCLA
16. Miami
17. Clemson
18. Baylor
19. Stanford
20. Fresno State
21. Lehigh
22. Tennessee State
23. Central Florida
24. Eastern Illinois
25. Ole Miss

Kevtones

Alabama, Oregon, FSU, Ohio State will all be undefeated.

Would have been a great year if the four team playoff was in as I think they are all pretty evenly matched.

After Saturday, FSU is my pick to win it.

They have the best combined offence and defence.

Bama's offense is not good enough.
Oregon's defence is the worst out of the above four teams.
Ohio State doesnt have as good offense or defense as FSU.

Yards per play rank out of the four:

3. FSU
8. Oregon (see Leach is low class comments)
13. Alabama
31. Ohio State

Seriously though, go here to be better informed.

Yards per play rank out of the four:

3. FSU
8. Oregon (see Leach is low class comments)
13. Alabama
31. Ohio State

Seriously though, go here to be better informed.

You play to the whistle. WVU was down 66-21 at the beginning of the 4th quarter against Baylor a couple weeks ago, and WVU scored 21 points in the 4th quarter against Baylors 3rd team defense. You didn't hear any of Baylors coaches whining in their press conference for WVU scoring meaningless late TD's. If protecting stats was more important than making sure your 1st team remains healthy for the next game, then put out your 1st team defense, otherwise respect your opponent and don't cry when they shred your backups.

desh

I take solace in the fact that when FSU beats us next weekend, it will move them down in the polls.
Your team is NC State in this scenario?

IF we make it to the MNC game this year, I will personally buy John Fulton a ticket to Miami.
Now your team is Alabama? How many teams do you have?

As it stands, a 1 loss Pac-12 team would get in the national championship over an undefeated Big 12 team. We've fallen hard as a conference this year.
What if that team is Oregon State?

Kevtones

You play to the whistle. WVU was down 66-21 at the beginning of the 4th quarter against Baylor a couple weeks ago, and WVU scored 21 points in the 4th quarter against Baylors 3rd team defense. You didn't hear any of Baylors coaches whining in their press conference for WVU scoring meaningless late TD's. If protecting stats was more important than making sure your 1st team remains healthy for the next game, then put out your 1st team defense, otherwise respect your opponent and don't cry when they shred your backups.

I'm not really arguing for Aliotti's comments, although Leach left his first-string in for a reason on both sides of the ball. Methinks one should have more of a philosophy of 'building talent' as opposed to risking injury of your normal players. Why not get game experience for your future players? What does that say to recruits?

Every other team Oregon has played sans Washington (who challenged Oregon), played their second/third lines when the game was over in the 3rd quarter.

What I'm saying is that Oregon is really hard to pin down statistically but they have a very good defense. They play better on the road and they're very talented (even after losing Dion Jordan and Kiko Alonso etc.).

I'd argue they have one of the best secondaries in the nation despite the 557 yards thrown on them yesterday (132 and two TDs with WSU's first string playing against Oregon's scout in the final four minutes left of the game).

Oregon's pass defense rankings after yesterday's game:

They rank:
DEAD LAST at #125 in attempts/game
DEAD LAST at #125 in total attempts
#9 in QB rating
#3 in yards/attempt

What I'm saying is that Oregon is really hard to pin down statistically but they have a very good defense. They play better on the road and they're very talented (even after losing Dion Jordan and Kiko Alonso etc.).

Considering Oregon has played just one team in the Top 50 of scoring offense (The huskies), the verdict is still out on that.

Their next 3 opponents (UCLA, Stanford, Utah) all are in Top 40 in scoring offense. Guess we will find out next week.

Lonestar

Well, to paraphrase the YPP defensively rating for Alabama (#13 total) and OSUn's (31st), they actually played a team in the top 10 for Offensive YPP this year, and no, Clemson didn't shoot down because they played FSU (Their 6.3 ypp would be about 30th)

FSU's Best: 21st Maryland (50th Pitt would be next, followed by 51st Clemson)
Oregon's: 49th Washington (69th WSU would be next)

OSUn: 7th Wisconsin (58th Northwestern would be next)
Alabama: 6th A&M (55th Kentucky would be next)

Stats for EVERYTHING.

(Healthy JFF + Healthy Mike Evans + John Fulton - Deion Belue = W)$*GH#P($V*NSD) Good thing that Oregon's offense isn't based on "run around for 15 seconds and then run or pass.

Kevtones

I looked up EVERY team all four played and Alabama/FSU were ahead but OSU and Oregon lagged. However, OSU has played a higher opponent but a lot of shit and they haven't been in blowouts.

I'd rank them defensively:

1. Bama
2. FSU
3. Oregon
4. OSU

Ohio State's secondary is borderline terrible and riddled with injuries. However, their rush defense has shown potential. It is funny considering the only semi-decent offense tOSU has played all year was where the defense performed at their best.

After getting so acquainted with Tressel-ball, watching our defense the last few years is flat out unbearable. Can't tackle, broken coverages everywhere, soft...hard to swallow.

Top Bottom