• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS February |OT| of Curious (Black) Creators & Curious (Black) Characters!

Status
Not open for further replies.

notworksafe

MARVEL
Releasing This Week

COMIC OF THE WEEK:
DEC110588 WINTER SOLDIER #1 $2.99
JCOfVl.jpg

When ex-Russian Sleeper Agents awaken, Winter Solider and Black Widow head into action!

04qit.jpg
zo6l5.jpg
y7UfG.jpg
wMeve.jpg
HI6kb.jpg

dS1vl.jpg
8FXjX.jpg
kZZai.jpg
PJk4o.jpg
PZ5JD.jpg

cvBtQ.jpg
lO8d8.jpg
te8QF.jpg
Z03vv.jpg
i9CaN.jpg

79HVp.jpg

DEC110644 AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #679 $3.99
DEC110602 AVENGERS ACADEMY #25 $2.99
DEC110616 AVENGERS X-SANCTION #3 (OF 4) $3.99
DEC110595 DEFENDERS #3 $3.99
DEC110598 FEAR ITSELF FEARLESS #8 (OF 12) $2.99
DEC110655 HULK #48 $2.99
DEC110648 PUNISHER #8 $2.99
DEC110656 THOR DEVIANTS SAGA #4 (OF 5) $3.99
DEC110663 TWELVE #9 (OF 12) (RES) $2.99
DEC110662 TWELVE MUST HAVE #1 $3.99
DEC110672 UNCANNY X-FORCE #21 XREGG $3.99
DEC110669 UNCANNY X-MEN #6 $3.99
DEC110636 VENOM #13 $3.99
DEC110658 VILLAINS FOR HIRE #3 (OF 4) $2.99
DEC110682 X-CLUB #3 (OF 5) $2.99
DEC110674 X-FACTOR #231 XREGG $2.99

--

Good thread TToB...but no Static? :(

EDIT:
Hardware is in Static Shock?! Why was I not informed of this?!

Oh because nobody is reading it. >:|

I am, asshole! Well, was. D:

I've only read the one so far (Robots in Disguise still sitting in my stack), but it's hard to make a judgement call until it gets a bet farther. I'm not a huge Bumblee or Rodimus fan though..
Ya, that's true, hard to say anything yet. It's just weird for me, not having followed any Transformers comics before, jumping into two new series, so wanted some context for what I was getting into. I had just heard the first MTMTE was good (I think in last month's thread), so picked it up and liked it. I didn't even know there was a second series interlapping until I saw it.

RiD was good, a bit slower and more talky. I like that the characters are rather morally ambiguous; it's more about their choices and different ideas, rather than good vs evil. Not sure if that is standard for IDW Transformers.

Bleeding Cool is reporting that Brazilian comic artist Al Rio has passed away after an apparent suicide. Rio had done interior and cover work for just about every US comics publisher there is since the 90s, most recently Zenescope, and had quite the reputation as a "good girl" pinup artist.

And on a personal note, I always thought he turned out some spectacular Wonder Woman pinups. Beautiful, without being overtly sexual.

RIP

EDIT: It's now reported he hung himself. :(

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/01/31/remembering-al-rio-by-david-campiti/

Al leaves behind three children: Rene, Adrielle, and Isabel, and his wife Zilda. His funeral will be held on Wednesday, February 1st, on Cemitério São João Batista, in Fortaleza, Brazil.

“Few could draw as well, adapting to so many styles so effortlessly, as Al Rio,” said David Campiti, his agent of many years. “We’d gotten together several weeks ago and were working hard on his projects, so news of his death came as quite a shock. He was a long-time friend whose art was a great joy to me and even inspired my wife’s drawing career. Generous and humble, he’ll be deeply missed.”

Contributions may be made to his family on his behalf through Kickstarter, and condolences may be sent to his family through terry@alrioart.com and David@glasshousegraphics.com.

How the hell is this thread an appriciation of black characters in comics and the very best aren't even represented?

Steel_007.jpg

Storm_small.jpg

81642-91951-jakeem-thunder_large.png

215px-Spawn_Classic.jpg

blade16.jpg

static_1.jpg

All the others are either forced PC garbage or come across as somehwat racist/insulting

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
How the hell is this thread an appriciation of black characters in comics and the very best aren't even represented?

All the others are either forced PC garbage or come across as somehwat racist/insulting

steel is trash, there i said it. And ill take hardware, the original static run, or Icon over black lightning or spawn any day.

Tizoc

Anyone who hasn't read Christopher Priest's Black Panther need to get around to that. The first 6 or so issues of his run were collected in TPB and it shows just how friggin' badass the character is.
Oh and do check out Secret Invasion: Black Panther, which is also good IMO-
n5kxu.jpg

Speaking of Priest: Quantum and Woody. I really need to read that someday lol.

Anyways-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFsz7qyxZSc
Superman's 75+ years condensed into 1 minute

Pretty much all the Skrulls in Secret Invasion had the combined powers of various teams. IIRC, that was a Skrull with the combined skills of a number of street-level Marvel characters (Bullseye, Daredevil, Iron Fist, Moon Knight, etc).

Wow, they must have hated that skrull. Lamesauce powers? Right this way...

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
As a white kid from small town England, I've always been really meh on black characters and the 'streetness' of them. A good character is just that, but bad characters spouting gibberish the writer thinks will sound 'real' just doesn't connect on any level. I remember reading the recently published Ink from DC and it was total bullshit. What should have been a cool story about the Tattooed Man turns into this handwringing treatise on gangs and the streets, and escaping your past and blah blah blah.

Pop culture is so ready to define blackness as such a narrow set of stereotypes. It's insulting to me as a white reader, I bet black people are sick of this shit by now. This conversely is one of the reasons I dig Miles Morales Spidey. He's just a normal little kid. He doesn't talk like an idiot, he has parents who love and respect him, it's refreshing. Yeah, there's still the stuff about his uncle being dodgy, but I don't feel that's as much connected to his skin colour as it is to just him being dodgy. It's good stuff, and I admire Bendis for not making the book "Black Spider-Man" so much as "New Spider-Man".

fake edit: but then again, is this just a white writer just trying to make a black character act 'white'? ah man, i dunno, this stuff fucks with my head when I try to process it...

Anyway, Rob Guillory is easily my favourite black creator, I just love his stuff and colour doesn't even factor into it. He just draws real good. I also used to really like Damion Scott's old stuff with that heavy street-art vibe he had going on. I liked how that was really obviously hip-hop/street influenced and had such amazing dynamism to it, it's a shame he's not really in the industry still.

Satch

Banned
THERES NO SUCH THING AS ACTING WHITE

IF I READ THAT SHIT AGAIN ON THIS FUCKING WEBSITE IM BURNING IT DOWN

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
steel is trash, there i said it. And ill take hardware, the original static run, or Icon over black lightning or spawn any day.

boom! this should be the post of the month right here. fuck both steel and spawn. hardware is a much better character

and i like to dedicate this post to one of the characters that marvel seems to have forgotten.

1157202-adam__014_super.jpg

strong enough to beat a hyperion, and stand toe to toe with some of the tops, but doesnt get any facetime. nice one marvel.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Bleeding Cool is reporting that Brazilian comic artist Al Rio has passed away after an apparent suicide. Rio had done interior and cover work for just about every US comics publisher there is since the 90s, most recently Zenescope, and had quite the reputation as a "good girl" pinup artist.

And on a personal note, I always thought he turned out some spectacular Wonder Woman pinups. Beautiful, without being overtly sexual.

RIP

EDIT: It's now reported he hung himself. :(

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/01/31/remembering-al-rio-by-david-campiti/

WTF

wow, no words

Parallax

Parallax I have no idea who that is.

thank you for proving my point spike. barely anyone knows who he is, despite being one of the most overpowered original characters created in the decade. but they made point to let everyone know that the the "new" spider man in the ultimates is black. fucking backward ass marvel.

the characters name is the blue marvel

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Marvel_(Marvel_Comics)

Fuck that, John Henry Irons is on top of this shit.

nope. get his ass outta here.

Slayven

Wow, they must have hated that skrull. Lamesauce powers? Right this way...

SMH........

I am going to mention Maggot, cause no one else will.

thank you for proving my point spike. barely anyone knows who he is, despite being one of the most overpowered original characters created in the decade. but they made point to let everyone know that the the "new" spider man in the ultimates is black. fucking backward ass marvel.

the characters name is the blue marvel

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Marvel_(Marvel_Comics)

nope. get his ass outta here.

Blue Marvel, written by guy that could actually play him in a movie.

Parallax

Just now he sent Hardware's punk ass to get him a sammich.

Post some badass Hardware shots...or right there are none.

Steel_52.jpg

no badass shots of hardware stops steel from being garbage and one of the worst additions to the fall and rise of superman...how? hes been in active publication much longer and doesnt have shit to show for it. his niece is more of a name than he is.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
THERES NO SUCH THING AS ACTING WHITE

IF I READ THAT SHIT AGAIN ON THIS FUCKING WEBSITE IM BURNING IT DOWN

Sorry :|

What should I say instead? But really, how else am I supposed to articulate the difference between say... Belle & Sebastian and Flava Flav?

Yeah, I'm being a bit silly in my examples, but the question stands. How do you refer to stereotypical notions of 'white' and 'black' without using those terms? It's a headfuck. Do you just couch it in codewords like 'urban' or 'street' or whatever?

Parallax

Sorry :|

What should I say instead? But really, how else am I supposed to articulate the difference between say... Belle & Sebastian and Flava Flav?

a touching story vs an embarassment against his legacy? flava flav has always been a joke character, but he hammed that shit up to the nth degree in the 00's

why are you comparing the two anyway? that seems like an odd comparison to make.

Slayven

no badass shots of hardware stops steel from being garbage and one of the worst additions to the fall and rise of superman...how? hes been in active publication much longer and doesnt have shit to show for it. his niece is more of a name than he is.

Steel is the poorman's Technocrat.

Total bullshit. He's a far more dev'd character than most posted.

His appearance in the Superman event, during the Imperiex War wearing the Entropy Aegis made the whole deal.

God damn he's awesome.

STEEL_third_armor_053011.jpg

His niece.....hahahahaha

Nobody's mentioned John Stewart yet? Yeah he's a legacy version of a white character, but so is Steel.

No john stewart sucks hes a boring charecter.

The characters I picked in my post were selected because I felt they really stood out on there own and were not made just to pander and make newspaper headlines "DC creates new black hero!" or come off as a blaxploitation character (black lightning, luke cage, etc.). I knew Spawn was going to be controverstial but keep in mind this charecter was HUGE in the 90s arguably one of the biggest and most famous charecters in any medium in that decade and his franchise is still going strong today so obviously he did something right.

Another person I would add to that list is Ultimate Nick Fury:

UltimateNickFury.jpg

I like black charecters who are just cool characters and I don't even think about their race at all. I don't want to think "oh hey its that new BLACK charecter DC is shoving down everyones throats *COUGHjasonrushCOUGHCOUGH*

akira28

...well, there is a movie, starring Shaq.

This argument over relevance or worthiness of black superheros is pretty ironic, actually. For the most part, they're all pretty much equally ignored or given 2nd or 3rd billing.

edit:
I think he means the band Belle and Sebastian, not the cartoon with the boy and the dog in the French Alps.(awesome cartoon)

How about this. Instead of describing flava flav as "black music" and B&S as "white music", you call them rap, and alt-rock? Since neither is definitive of their entire races' musical milieu? And the same goes for...yadda yadda blah blah blah?

Slayven

This argument over relevance or worthiness of black superheros is pretty ironic, actually. For the most part, they're all pretty much equally ignored or given 2nd or 3rd billing.

It takes a writer willing to give a shit. Bendis, as much as people demonize him did awesome stuff with Luke Cage, and of course Priest with BP. Of course a black character getting a push= being rammed down folks throat, any other character is just getting a pushed.

Parallax

i will agree to this. although not as bad as asians in comics, we are criminally pushed the hell back when it comes to it. being on the hot seat when mcduffie was making his team and when brother voodoo was chosen as the next sorceror supreme really showed how unwanted we are in comics.

akira28

i will agree to this. although not as bad as asians in comics, we are criminally pushed the hell back when it comes to it. being on the hot seat when mcduffie was making his team and when brother voodoo was chosen as the next sorceror supreme really showed how unwanted we are in comics.

asian women = very welcome
asian men = extra lamp from Ikea you don't remember ordering.

I liked what they did with the new Atom, though I wish they'd cut it out with legacy shit, especially when replacing someone I actually fucking like, like Ray Palmer. Create an original character, maybe? I forgot, that requires the sacrifice of actual virgins. This new Ray, he's Korean-American which is cool, but again, DC can't seem to do something new. Just retreads of forgotten characters or offbrand pickups they won in a legal battle somewhere.

edit: asian villain of the week is also welcome.
dat American race based social structure...

Parallax

asian women = very welcome
asian men = extra lamp from Ikea you don't remember ordering.

I liked what they did with the new Atom, though I wish they'd cut it out with legacy shit, especially when replacing someone I actually fucking like, like Ray Palmer. Create an original character, maybe? I forgot, that requires the sacrifice of actual virgins. This new Ray, he's Korean-American which is cool, but again, DC can't seem to do something new. Just a retreads of forgotten characters or offbrand pickups they won in a legal battle somewhere.

welcome to the club. is it so damn hard to ask for original characters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom