• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crimzon Clover: World Ignition |OT| Boosting Towards Obliteration

Yes Boss!

Can confirm that PS360 works fine. Got the game up and running in one of my cabs! Gonna install the original Crimzon Clover as well since I have the disc from years ago.

25FA84F7-3977-4C90-B861-01734DB181E7_zpsu6fdvuyr.jpg

shaowebb

Are there any softwares or stuff I can use to let me use my 360 sticks from Mad Catz? This aint happening on a controller man.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Can confirm that PS360 works fine. Got the game up and running in one of my cabs! Gonna install the original Crimzon Clover as well since I have the disc from years ago.

25FA84F7-3977-4C90-B861-01734DB181E7_zpsu6fdvuyr.jpg

I still love that you have that Taito ashtray. Makes me want to start smoking, just so I can put cigarettes out in that sonbitch.

I'm impressed as well as saddened by how well this game runs.

Jeeze, throw me a freakin' bone here. Even when the screen is getting lit up there's no slowdown.

mannerbot

seems like the 360 controller drivers should cover it:

That actually doesn't help because this is an issue with Crimzon Clover specifically; the 360 TE stick is fully plug-and-play with Windows. I've seen people report that they got a 360 TE stick working pretty painlessly with both xpadder and joytokey, but I haven't done it myself yet so I don't know which is the superior option. You can probably just flip a coin though!

That actually doesn't help because this is an issue with Crimzon Clover specifically; the 360 TE stick is fully plug-and-play with Windows. I've seen people report that they got a 360 TE stick working pretty painlessly with both xpadder and joytokey, but I haven't done it myself yet so I don't know which is the superior option. You can probably just flip a coin though!

oh. well there you go. i am a lowly scum pad player so i can't help much more than that.

Yes Boss!

Did you buy a PC already?

Yep, just got a cheapy off-the-shelf for the cabs. $379. Still wanna build one for my HDTV for that comfy-bed gaming with my sticks. I put the game on the vertical and it is way cool!

39B7CE5F-ED37-477E-9092-21757977F5A4_zpsdphgdkpf.jpg

Also bought Gunhound EX and I can't get it to work yet...gotta figure out joytokey or something. Kinda depressing because it is basically the low-rez PSP game...kinda looks like shit.

If you want something more visually impressive you probably want to check out Astebreed... I liked what I saw of it at PAX East.

There are probably some tweaks I can do to that PC - like make it boot up in Steam Big Picture mode, which should be completely controllable with the sticks on the cabs. Would like to take a closer look at the hardware anyway, I can't say I've ever been impressed with retail boxed PCs at that price point.

Yes Boss!

If you want something more visually impressive you probably want to check out Astebreed... I liked what I saw of it at PAX East.

There are probably some tweaks I can do to that PC - like make it boot up in Steam Big Picture mode, which should be completely controllable with the sticks on the cabs. Would like to take a closer look at the hardware anyway, I can't say I've ever been impressed with retail boxed PCs at that price point.

That would be cool to boot up into it! I've got it on VGA since there is the 360 in there on the HDMI...so they can both remain in the cab simultaneously.

Honestly, I woke up today hungover and then got tasked to move furniture all day so when done I was bored and drove to Best Buy and bought the cheapest one I could find to play around with it. Seems to run this game perfectly! So in essence my Crimzon Clover player. I'm a little scared to try more games after getting a little burned on Gunhound. I would not mind eventually trying to get the Mame thingie working to try some of thise emulated games, like Progear, that I've never played...but that is way beyond my ability to do.

Tain

Also bought Gunhound EX and I can't get it to work yet...gotta figure out joytokey or something. Kinda depressing because it is basically the low-rez PSP game...kinda looks like shit.

Gunhound EX is goofy because while it works fine with controllers, it by default has nothing bound to it. You need to, with keyboard, navigate to the binding screen in Options and bind all directions and buttons, and make sure to scroll to the bottom of the list (off-screen!) and confirm.

Japan can sometimes be a bit behind when it comes to support gamepads in Windows. I'm thankful more recent Japanese PC games even work with POV hats at all.

If nothing else, you can get pretty much any game working with your joystick using JoyToKey (or like iconoclast said Xpadder, though I've never tried that one). Just a bit of a pain.

Yes Boss!

Gunhound EX is goofy because while it works fine with controllers, it by default has nothing bound to it. You need to, with keyboard, navigate to the binding screen in Options and bind all directions and buttons, and make sure to scroll to the bottom of the list (off-screen!) and confirm.

Japan can sometimes be a bit behind when it comes to support gamepads in Windows. I'm thankful more recent Japanese PC games even work with POV hats at all.

If nothing else, you can get pretty much any game working with your joystick using JoyToKey (or like iconoclast said Xpadder, though I've never tried that one). Just a bit of a pain.

Yeah, seems like it might not be worth it. Looks great on my PSP and Vita so maybe I'll just consider it a $15 donation to Dracue.

KDR_11k

To PC-only people that might not play a lot of these games: don't use continues, they are lame and make the game way worse.

There has to be a solution for this continue problem somehow... Infinite credits right from the start are awful.

I did beat Gunhound with a keyboard but it's really mindbreaking to control.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
There has to be a solution for this continue problem somehow... Infinite credits right from the start are awful.

I actually kind of liked the way the vanilla version of CC handled it. By default you have no credits to continue, but you can buy up to 9 in the bonus shop using money earned by playing, and they're one use only.

tomasdk

Love the game but I wonder why they removed the need to unlock everything and buy lives and continues, that was an interesting system that I haven't seen before. In any case, the game is awesome so it doesn't really matter.

KDR_11k

I actually kind of liked the way the vanilla version of CC handled it. By default you have no credits to continue, but you can buy up to 9 in the bonus shop using money earned by playing, and they're one use only.

That makes the most sense, if this was the 3DS I'd say use play coins for the buying but on the PC coins earned by playing will have to suffice. Too bad moneygrubbers these days would just try to use F2P mechanics instead...

gngf123

Spent a couple of hours with it now since my audio problems are fixed. Really enjoying it.

I'm really bad, but damn is there a big difference between arcade and novice. I can beat novice without any issues at all, pretty much on my first go. I can clear the first level on arcade mode without getting hit and then it all goes to shit. I'll need to practice. Also, the soundtrack is awesome.

Looking forward to unlocking the other ship.

SOME-MIST

missed out on playing it Friday since I didn't make it home, but got some runs in last night and this morning and I'm having a blast. definitely a lot more refined than the previous release.

did a quick 1CC run of novice arcade and novice boost, and hitting a roadblock on stage 3 in arcade original..

that stage is just brutal.

Mr.McFist

This game is seriously amazing, the best shmup I have ever played - it has totally blown away all my expectations. I've made it to the stage 5 boss on novice mode on 1 credit so far, I am slowing improving and trying to clear novice and eventually move on to arcade mode.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
The online leaderboards only show the top 100 players? How can I upload my score? Am I too crap to even show up there? D:

gngf123

Achievements have now been fixed, if you do a 1CC you will get the True Complete achievement.

Decided to do a quick run of Novice, since I was a bit annoyed that my old 1CC's didn't count. Ended up getting a score of 726,303,371,800. Just outside the top 20 on the leaderboards!

Really want to try to break 1t, but that's going to be tough.

EDIT: Also seems like the leaderboards have been changed slightly. I can now see more than just the top 100.

ChryZ

V1.01 is LIVE!

Patch details below :

BUG corrections
- Fullscreen mode : When the 1280×768 is not supported, the software will look for a resolution close to that and fill the screen with dark bars to fit.
- Achievements Garbled in Japanese : The text showing the Achievements ingame is now displaying correctly
- Leaderboard 100th ~ : The ranking over 100 are now shown properly
- Keyboard entry when inactive : In window mode, when the game is not active, it will not react to keyboard entry anymore
- Slowdown with text display : Displaying text would sometimes cause slowdown, this has been fixed. (Training setup, Replay screen)
- Arcade-Boost Level 1 - Boss : The attack pattern of Titanix did not perfectly match the Arcade version. This has been modified to match, but as a result, REPLAY made with version 1.00 of that mode can not be replayed correctly.

ADD
- 1cc Achievements: the new 1cc achievements are supported by this version ! Good Luck !!
- Name Entry : The last name entered is saved and automatically entered when ranking.
- ESC dialog : A simple dialog is now shown when pressing ESC.

V1.01を配信開始!

対応の修正リストは下記です。

バグ修正:
◆実績取得時の2バイト文字の文字化け
※Steam側のゲームの言語設定で、英語以外にすると現象が発生していました。
◆フルスクリーンでの起動
現在はユーザーの環境が1280×768に対応していなければフルスクリーンになりませんが、ユーザーの環境の対応解像度を自動探査し、1280×768に近いものがあればフルスクリーン化するようにしました。(ただしその場合、若干黒い隙間ができます)
◆ゲームのウィンドウが非アクティブのとき、キーボードの操作がきかないようにしました。
◆リーダーボードが100位までしか表示されていないのを修正しました。
◆文字描画処理が重かったので高速化しました。
トレーニング設定画面やリプレイ画面がかなり軽くなっています。
◆アーケードのBOOSTモード・1面ボスの挙動に一部NESiCAxLive版と異なる点があったため、修正を行いました。
そのため、ver1.00で保存したアーケードのBOOSTモードのリプレイはver1.01では1面ボス以降、正確に再現がされません。

追加機能:
◆モードコンプリート系の実績がコンティニューしても取得できてしまっていたのを修正しました。健闘を祈ります!
◆Escキー押下時、終了確認のダイアログを出すようにしました。
◆ネームエントリーを毎回入力しなくてよいように、前回入力した値を保持して表示するようにしました。

http://steamcommunity.com/games/285440/announcements/detail/1679028563131599267

ArjanN

I like that the ESC key isn't a straight up boss-key anymore, that messes me up every time in Japanese indie games. Oh, let me just pause the game for a sec -> boom, desktop.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Care to elaborate?

I'm talking about the fullscreen mode. Before the patch it wouldn't start at all for me, no matter what option I picked it just went to windowed mode. Now when I select fullscreen, it actually starts in fullscreen and I can even see the loading text for maybe a second and then it immediately minimizes and I can't get back into the game. I can hear it running in the background (sometimes), but I can't maximize the window anymore and the task manager lists it as not responding.

I don't know if it's all in my head, but I feel like the black bars got bigger after this patch.
1280x768 is a weird resolution between 16:9 and 16:10 and this patch mentioned adding black bars to the nearest supported resolution to make it fit. This should end up pillarboxed on most 16:9 monitors and letterboxed on 16:10.

Tain

Holy shit, this game is intense! Very rough by Original stage 3 (arcade of course), though I've had my mind on breaks instead of bombs.

Lots of familiar names on the leaderboards. I'm 5 slots away from vtf.ino, lol. And it looks like Original mode only has, like, six players that have cleared it, and only a single clear for Unlimited. Intimidating in the best way.

Mr.McFist

I managed to 1CC novice mode with Type 1, I've just started playing arcade mode and can't even make it past stage 2 yet - it is very rough indeed

Durante

I finally got to play this, and it's much better than I expected. It does suffer a bit from "can't see shit captain" syndrome from time to time, especially in coop, but that's the only criticism I can level at it. I'd prefer it if your own shots were more subdued (Touhou-like).

Tain

I can't really stand most modern shooters in co-op, but this seems like it would be especially nasty with the overlapping lock on shots.

Durante

One thing I really appreciate about the Touhou series is how easy it is to read the screen. I feel like making the player's shots almost invisible (compared to the enemies') is a good choice -- you generally know where you're shooting, you don't need to see that.

BOTEC

I can't really stand most modern shooters in co-op, but this seems like it would be especially nasty with the overlapping lock on shots.

I once tried DoDonPachi with a friend, it was not a pleasant experience. It's a nice option to have, but shit is chaotic enough with only one ship shooting lasers and dropping bombs.

Holy C-R-A-P this game rocks.

I mean, it rawks. I had to stop playing after just a bit, my hand was cramping up from gripping the controller way more tightly then I needed to. Its just so dang intense. Boost mode is friggin bananas, but there's a great and fair difficulty curve to it also.

What a great, great shooter this is.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Finally fixed the problem I had with the fullscreen mode in this game. Turns out some external program caused the problem (some Adobe shit). I only realized that when I tried to start a different game today that I already played before and wouldn't work now in the same way that Crimzon Clover didn't. I'm glad I finally got that fixed.

But then again, fullscreen mode doesn't look all that great when the game's resolution of 1280x768 isn't supported. That huge black bar at the bottom is kinda stupid. At least I can now fully concentrate on actually playing the game, really enjoyed what I played of it so far, even if I suck at it.

Toshin

picked up the deluxe on steam during the sale, how much am I going to enjoy this hype fest? <3
Intro tips and advice anyone or just jump int the pool?

Tain

Go straight to Arcade Original, get beaten in, start from the beginning every time you run out of lives, get better.

gngf123

Going against the grain: I think continues are okay when used properly. I sometimes use one to get a better idea of what is coming up so I can plan for a better run next time. Just don't continue spam.

Top Bottom