• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crimzon Clover: World Ignition |OT| Boosting Towards Obliteration

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Got this during the sale. It's ridiculous. Utterly fucking ridiculous. In the best way possible. It's SO GOOD.

More shmups, Steam, please.

(Side note: I have all three eXceed games, Danmaku Unlimited 2, Crimzon Clover, all three Gundemonium games, Ether Vapor Remaster, Satazius, Jamestown, and Ikaruga. Am I missing anything?)

Zeth

Awesome - and thanks for reminding me about Danmaku Unlimited ^ Grabbed it for $2.49. Played the hell out of it on iOS - very competent bullet hell.

Aaron

Got this during the sale. It's ridiculous. Utterly fucking ridiculous. In the best way possible. It's SO GOOD.

(Side note: I have all three eXceed games, Danmaku Unlimited 2, Crimzon Clover, all three Gundemonium games, Ether Vapor Remaster, Satazius, Jamestown, and Ikaruga. Am I missing anything?)
Syder Arcade and Sine Mora are pretty good. Humans Must Answer is decent.

Kumubou

It is an arcade game so I'm pretty sure the aim is to get you to continue as much as they can!
I think the point is that it's much more satisfying to play to try to finish it in one credit than to beat the game after feeding it $10. Then you have some games (like Smash TV, Gauntlet, or CarniEVIL) which were designed to be impossible to finish on one credit (and people figured out how to do it anyway :x).

Astrebreed came out recently and it's very good.

Tain

oneida said:

That's the way to do it. From a player's perspective, at least. No spoilers, just progress!

It is an arcade game so I'm pretty sure the aim is to get you to continue as much as they can!

That's the aim of the arcade operator, but the aim of the game developer is to please both operators (who want play sessions to be shorter) and players (who want play sessions to be longer). So they do that by making a tough-but-learnable game, one where bad players don't last very long on a credit (and get less and less time out of each continue, should they want to), but good players can pay once and play for a while.

Yes Boss!

That's the aim of the arcade operator, but the aim of the game developer is to please both operators (who want play sessions to be shorter) and players (who want play sessions to be longer). So they do that by making a tough-but-learnable game, one where bad players don't last very long on a credit (and get less and less time out of each continue, should they want to), but good players can pay once and play for a while.

Yeah,

It was kinda a joke. I like to straddle both like mentioned. Check out the game by feeding it initially then lock into no-continue mode.

There is something to be said by stellar players making it incredibly far as a type of advertisement for gameplay.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Died at the EX boss 2 in Boost-Novice. So close to the 1cc. ;_;

danmaku

Holy crap, how could I miss this game? Thankfully I found it in the Steam sales!

I played the demo of the old version and it was pretty good, this one is even better. Graphics are still bad, everything else is amazing. Fast, easy scoring system, unforgiving difficulty, great bullet patterns (very Cave-ish) and interesting bosses. Plus, it's ridiculously cheap. Head and shoulders above any other shmup on Steam.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Oh my god I just 1CC'd Boost-Novice on my first try. Didn't lose a single life until the last stage, then promptly lost all my lives and just barely made it, but whatever, I FUCKING DID IT HOLY SHIT.

nexen

Enemy Mind, Procyon, Sine Mora, Humans Must Answer, C-Rush, Super Killer Hornet Resurrection, Syder Arcade, Razor 2, Aqua Kitty, RefleX

(Sine Mora is pretty, but not very good. C-Rush is only one level, but it is cheap, SKH-R is ... inspired, Razor 2 is terrible)

edit: RefleX and Procyon are the most old-skool shmup of those that I listed.

Arcadehero

Neo Member
First post.

I'm glad this thread popped up as I wasn't aware of CCs release on Steam. Next best thing since the arcade board would never get a release in the US.

ArjanN

Japanese shmups are designed with a precision that's really difficult to emulate.

I liked Sine Mora a lot, but I know it's not really popular with hardcore shmup fans.

But to be honest the hardcore shmup fans seem kind of like all the other niche communities (RPGcodex / Shoryuken.com etc.) in that they're completely focused on the specific thing they like, which sometimes makes them miss the forest for the trees.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So if anyone wants to check it out, here's the replay of my 1CC run of Boost/Novice I did earlier today. There's a lot of slowdown due to the recording process and my PC not being super powerful, but it's not too bad (except in the last stage, where it does get a bit bad at times). What I'm trying to say is it wasn't slow while I was playing, just while I was recording the replay. :lol

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5

EDIT: Fucking seriously, Youtube? 360p? *sigh*

So if anyone wants to check it out, here's the replay of my 1CC run of Boost/Novice I did earlier today. There's a lot of slowdown due to the recording process and my PC not being super powerful, but it's not too bad (except in the last stage, where it does get a bit bad at times). What I'm trying to say is it wasn't slow while I was playing, just while I was recording the replay. :lol

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5

EDIT: Fucking seriously, Youtube? 360p? *sigh*

Nice! I only managed to 1CC it once so far (on Novice Boost), still working on standard, which I find much more difficult. Your score is better than mine too.

Managed to upload the replay here.

danmaku

I put a few more credits in Novice Original mode and it's much better than I expected. In Cave ports Novice mode is basically useless, the enemies barely try to shoot, but in CC they are an actual threat. It's much easier than Arcade mode but still fun. I can reach the 5th stage, now working on the 1CC before jumping into Arcade.

I also noticed that Iconoclast is already 2nd place in the Arcade Original leaderboard. Congrats!

Llyranor

Picked it up today. Great little game! Very hectic. My goal will be to 1cc Novice first of all.

Too bad the 360 SF4 TE stick didn't work as is, but it seems to work fine with Joytokey. Haven't been annoyed by any input lag yet

Highly recommended to shmup fans!

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
v1.02 Patch Detail:

Screen Settings : The dialog to choose Window/Fullscreen was abandonned. In its stead, a new SCREEN SETTING option is available from SETTINGS menu which allow to more detailed set up of Game Resolution/ Screen resolution to play with maximum comfort.

Vertical Screens: Support of vertical resolution screens added.

Controller: Support for XBOX360 Real Arcade Pro added.

Scoring and Leaderboard:
- Support of Friend score display added
- Display of the total number of score added
- "Unofficial Score" system added : if for some reason (mostly framerate) a score is not judged valid, it is still added to leaderboard as an unofficial score
- Filter for official/unofficial score added
** 3 gauge and the current FPS are now displayed on screen bottom right, should any of these gauge be in the red at the end of a level, the score will be judged as an unofficial score **

Level 2 Boss fight correction for a possible crash bug. (Some replay data might be affected)

Bug when choosing "Replay (this stage)" during the EX boss fight corrected.

Some scores judged wrong were removed from leaderboard.

Finally vertical resolution options! All thats now missing is a option to select the screen the game should start on...

The_Super_Inframan

Ohh...I have to try out those new screen options.

It works without problems.

The "friends only" leader board is also a great addition!
I added you on Steam, I need more people playing this on my friend list for score comparison

Sadly I'm not that great, but this game is sooo much fun!

Mechazawa

I'm really glad they finally got proper 360 arcade stick support in. Was starting to get worried that was never coming.

Friend leaderboard is great to hear about too. There's nothing fun about going to the leaderboards and looking at how much better than me the top 100 players are.

epmode

Can anyone confirm that the Mad Catz TE arcade stick is detected now? I'm happy that I might not have to use JoyToKey anymore!

Jucksalbe

Banned
It works without problems.

The "friends only" leader board is also a great addition!
I added you on Steam, I need more people playing this on my friend list for score comparison

Sadly I'm not that great, but this game is sooo much fun!

Thanks. You're the only one on my friends list with this game, so if anyone else wants to compare score, feel free to add me.
The new screen options are great, finally the game works the way I always wanted it to be. Now I can finally spend some serious time with this game. I suck at it, though. I'm still trying to 1cc the Novice Boost mode, but at least I got quite a bit further this time than before, up to the final phase of the stage 5 boss, stupid thing just rammed into me. Next time.

BOTEC

Damn, everything about that patch sounds awesome. I wish I was home testing it out instead of stuck at work.

BOTEC

Oh man this game is so much dumb fun. I need to get back into it. Fuck that Bullet Soul shit.

This patch is great. I like the X/Y stretching options to get rid of the stupid black bars on the top and bottom. The only gripe I have with that is that when I stretch the X axis to match the Y axis, the little frame rate counter scrolls off screen. I like frame rate counters :(

As confirmed in the patch notes, the Hori Real Arcade Pro VX-SA Kai works like a charm now. Now lets all agree to make all controllers work in our games from now on, and not have any of this unsupported nonsense ever again, m'kay?

The only thing left on my wishlist is make Arcade Mode the default option when starting the game. I believe in trial-by-fire, so I'm never going to bother with Novice. But when I let the continue timer expire, get dumped back to the title screen, tap the shoot button to get back into the game, I may inadvertently enter that mode. FIX THIS SHIT YOTSUBANE!

Jucksalbe

Banned
Finally managed to 1cc Novice Boost mode. It was a lot of fun, but I feel like this will probably also be the best I can achieve in this game.

The_Super_Inframan

Argh, I just died on the final form of the final boss... almost had my novice 1CC original mode...

This game...

The_Super_Inframan

Finally!

EuGgWbE.png

:D

I really need to work on my scoring...

Great, somehow the replay of my 1cc run got corrupted and now it shows me dying at the second boss.

That sucks...

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Great, somehow the replay of my 1cc run got corrupted and now it shows me dying at the second boss.

Yeah, it's because of the changes made to the second boss in the latest patch. They warned that it could corrupt some replays. Glad I recorded mine and uploaded it to Youtube before the patch hit.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Seems this was a side effect of a different problem. Someone else posted on the Steam forums that changing from full-screen to windowed mode slightly messes up the frame rate for him.

I think something similar might have happened for me, because I had to change resolutions in both cases before I tried my replay (because changing monitors seems to reset resolution settings for some reason). Now that I restarted the game on the same monitor I didn't need to change settings again and the replay works again. Maybe the discrepancy between the expected frame rate and actual frame rate made the replay go out of sync or something.

I'm just glad it's not the replay file itself that's messed up.

gngf123

Damn, I'm seriously rusty at this game now. Can barely beat Novice original.

I want to improve on my old high score, I'm still in the top 50 but not by much. Anyone have tips for a higher score? I'm mostly using break mode invincibility frames to point blank enemies and then activating double break immediately after for more invincibility time.

Riposte

Got this. Getting rekt'd, of course. I'm still trying to figure out the mechanics. I tried the insane difficulty mode or w/e and it was completely out of my league, assuming I'm not missing some obvious mechanic. I'm too lazy to take out my TE stick, so I've been using a PS3 controller with most buttons assigned to the shoulder buttons; I really don't like the analog stick though. Also visibility is a bit of an issue.

Thought the thread deserved a bump anyway.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently Yotsubane and Degica have been very happy about the reception from the west to CCWI. More details in the shmups forums.

Top Bottom