• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cross The Line - Sexual Assault... ok, maybe just Sexual Harassment!

Riposte

Of course Aris should be lynched. Look as I said, I'm all for crass humor, absolute trash talking, no holds barred. Fully explicit.

However you can't go around smelling women man, focusing the camera on certain body parts, and telling this female to do what you ask; that is crazy creepy.

This guy should be in a holding cell.

Do you think one could actually present a case that would get Aris in jail (for I assume sexual assault)?

Are you serious or are you just xenophobic?

We're not villains who are out to make your community look bad and nor are we trying to intervene anything. We're not in a position of power to do so. And neither are you. However, together we can create awareness of the issues to the figures who organize, sponsor and broadcast the events you so love. That is what the various media outlets have been doing. To inform a broader group of people of these issues that are not just prevalent in your community but in the whole gaming community as well. United we stand, divided we fall.

You can speak for yourself but you cannot speak for everyone, which so happens to include the minority which wants to see the fgc burn. By allowing such people like Rob Beschizza post blatant misinformation about the situation, is it really a wonder that people in the community are wary of the outsiders exploiting the fgc for hits?

By blowing the situation into what it is only increases the crusade/witch-hunt that we see now. Some people are sensible enough to try to clear up the situation but for every level headed Evilore who posts good stuff we have people perpetrating stereotypes and misconception. And outrage is always easier to manufacture than good writing.

Beth Cyra

Actually, I agree with you. He wanted to make a statement about diversity, and racial diversity is not the FGC's problem. That it's a boy's club is (and this is a problem that is shares with most games, though I don't know if to the same degree). If he had made a statement that "FGC is like a boy's club", the thread probably wouldn't have come to a screeching halt, but it's not something people haven't said earlier in this thread, so no one would have cared.

This is already happening on it's own.

It's slower then one would like but even Spooky made mention of how Aris an OG, people like him and his way of thinking are falling by the way side while others like David and Chen take their place.

We need to do something to speed up the process for sure, but strides are being made.

Makoto

You can speak for your self but you cannot speak for everyone, which so happens to include the minority which wants to see the fgc burn. By allowing such people like Rob Beschizza post blatant misinformation about the situation, is it really a wonder that people in the community are wary of the outsiders exploiting the fgc for hits?
These posts are always funny. It's like listening to Republicans talk down immigrants, "If we let em in, they're gonna change our way of life! Outsiders aren't welcomed, they're just going to change our values and traditions! They're trying to destroy our country!"

Do you know how paranoid you sound right now?

Cetra

Aris fucked up plain and simple. He's apologized publicly. As far as I'm concerned, he's been humiliated, reviled, and demonized enough. He's a human being, we make mistakes and we have really screwy opinions. If he's as stupid as he seems AT TIMES he won't learn to watch what he says. But if he's got half a brain, he will.

I'm more appalled that Capcom hasn't done more to distance itself as a company from the remarks made on Cross Assault. My company would have fired Aris outright. Most companies would. In the business world cases of sexual harassment don't get much more water-tight than this one. Issuing a stock statement doesn't seem honest in the least.

I kind of expect some level of Aris' attitude in ANY gaming scene. (You think is bad log on Xbox Live and play some Halo, or CoD, or Uno for Christ sakes.) But for Capcom to publicly appear so "meh" about the situation is disturbing.

Wallach

djWheat may not be pushing the right article - I think inkblot's article is pretty hollow personally - but he's pushing the right message. Exactly what I am afraid will happen in the fallout from this is a lot of words will get said, and fuck all will actually get done to stop it from happening in the future.

udivision

you are welcome. of course you could actually try to respond to the point I'm making with, you know, something.

Unless of course you've been missing the last week. Then nevermind.

Uh sorry, I just liked the stealth pun :/

Maybe the FGC is a lightning rod because it's one of the louder, more active communities? I don't even know if COD tournaments exist but I cerntainly watch streams and tournaments from FG. The FGC places greater importance on the C, i think.

d0c_zaius

Uh sorry, I just liked the stealth pun :/

oh man my bad. I didnt even realize the stealth pun I made. No really I didnt. Everyone with internet has been trolling me all day saying jokes about how I must be sexist because I've been playing fighting games for years. GUess I just mistakenly assumed.

I think this topic has me in too serious mode. sorry :(

udivision

oh man my bad. I didnt even realize the stealth pun I made. No really I didnt. Everyone with internet has been trolling me all day saying jokes about how I must be sexist because I've been playing fighting games for years. GUess I just mistakenly assumed.

no prob, i understand

CPS2

On liveon3 just then, that was some Michael Jackson interview shit.

djWheat: SO INKBLOT'S ARTICLE IS GOOD RIGHT? YOU SHOULD SHARE THAT AROUND RIGHT?

some FGC dude: no... er... yes... er... he's got a point but Aris is getting crucified

djWheat: NO NO NO NO NO WTF

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
yea I dont really understand that either. I guess as a community we are now THE accepted punching bag for gamer stereotypes.

I thought GAF was a great place to be for all FGC discussion, but if people are really allowed to post insulting garbage like that with no consequences then I'm honestly not so sure.

djWheat: SO INKBLOT'S ARTICLE IS GOOD RIGHT? YOU SHOULD SHARE THAT AROUND RIGHT?

some FGC dude: no... er... yes... er... he's got a point but Aris is getting crucified

I don't know how someone that lazy managed to bother calling in.

Judderman

drawer by drawer

That caller was a fucking dolt.

These posts are always funny. It's like listening to Republicans talk down immigrants, "If we let em in, they're gonna change our way of life! Outsiders aren't welcomed, they're just going to change our values and traditions! They're trying to destroy our country!"

Do you know how paranoid you sound right now?

Another crappy analogy that makes fun of the situation. Thanks for contributing.

Firemind

You can speak for yourself but you cannot speak for everyone, which so happens to include the minority which wants to see the fgc burn. By allowing such people like Rob Beschizza post blatant misinformation about the situation, is it really a wonder that people in the community are wary of the outsiders exploiting the fgc for hits?

I'm going to have to see this blatant misinformation for myself, because every news article I've read so far included a transcript of conversations that actually took place, some providing videos of the heinous offense. I don't see that as misinformation. Lack of information perhaps, but this isn't the issue at hand. The issue is that it happened and that the responses so far, both from the organizers and from the community as a whole, have been lukewarm.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

Where are these people?

lZh0j.gif

alstein

yea I dont really understand that either. I guess as a community we are now THE accepted punching bag for gamer stereotypes.

I think it's due to a combination of factors:

There are plenty of folks who perpetuate negative stereotypes: while it's not a majority, it's a noticeable segment. Add to that the fact that the FGC is probably on gameplay alone the most newbie-hostile genre out there, it's a powder keg for folks really not liking the community- and stuff like this just gives a easy outlet for the hate to come out.

The FGC doesn't need to make itself an easy target.

Riposte

Add to that the fact that the FGC is probably on gameplay alone the most newbie-hostile genre out there

I wouldn't say so, though I bet some people would like to think so. Something like DotA or more obscure strategy games (i.e. not Starcraft) are usually a tougher shell to crack.

d0c_zaius

Where are these people?

lZh0j.gif

people on IM and PSN and such. Of course they were just trolling, but it got old pretty quick. No receipts for you though, I unblocked this one post of yours and thats good enough.

I thought GAF was a great place to be for all FGC discussion, but if people are really allowed to post insulting garbage like that with no consequences then I'm honestly not so sure.

Well the main reason why I was even bothered by it was that its allowed to be put out there, but 8-9 people were banned for not being serious (well some were serious and dumb) and crossing a line. 1 person was banned just for warning people not to get banned. But apparently THAT bigot stuff is ok? Confused.

I think it's due to a combination of factors:

There are plenty of folks who perpetuate negative stereotypes: while it's not a majority, it's a noticeable segment. Add to that the fact that the FGC is probably on gameplay alone the most newbie-hostile genre out there, it's a powder keg for folks really not liking the community- and stuff like this just gives a easy outlet for the hate to come out.

The FGC doesn't need to make itself an easy target.

This is correct. But seeing some of the things endorsed the way they are in this topic, and how things were enforced in the other topic with all the bannings, and it appears lame. Cross Assault keeps on giving.

aeolist

Banned
I don't understand why the idea of having trash-talk and competition without sexism, homophobia, and racism is so impossible

Beth Cyra

I don't understand why the idea of having trash-talk and competition without sexism, homophobia, and racism is so impossible

Overall because alot of it isn't that there is even these things, it's that they are just common terms used that often end up being totally seperated from the negatives.

Like we have steams all the time with black guys saying nigga, not a single one of these men are talking down to one another yet it can easily be seen as a racist term.

Same thing with the hype matches with someone kick that bitches ass when Pheonix/Wesker comes out.

It's not like these guys/women are being sexist or racist, they are being hype.

The outright hostility to people even looking into this clearly hasn't helped either (people were seriously getting mad in the main thread that Kuchera wanted to talk to Haunts about it). Nor has some of the absolutely puerile things that people defending this have said in comments on the articles.

Why does it affect you if it does exist? Some people like different humor than you, and I've never seen any homophobia in the FGC. Sure they will call you sexual slurs, but actually hunt someone who is gay and lambaste, attack, assault and perform hate crimes on them is totally different. Same with racial slurs, no one attacks anyone for being a different colour, but it is just how some people talk, especially those who share the same ethnicity. It is what is, if you don't like it, remove yourself.

Some people don't understand the difference.

Not defending Aris however. He crossed the line and should be in prison. I won't stop saying that. He absolutely went too far. I have never in all my life seen someone go that far.

Codeblue

Overall because alot of it isn't that there is even these things, it's that they are just common terms used that often end up being totally seperated from the negatives.

Like we have steams all the time with black guys saying nigga, not a single one of these men are talking down to one another yet it can easily be seen as a racist term.

Same thing with the hype matches with someone kick that bitches ass when Pheonix/Wesker comes out.

It's not like these guys/women are being sexist or racist, they are being hype.

Why are Phoenix and Wesker classified as such?

Why does it affect you if it does exist? Some people like different humor than you, and I've never seen any homophobia in the FGC. Sure they will call you sexual slurs, but actually hunt someone who is gay and lambaste, attack, assault and perform hate crimes on them is totally different. Same with racial slurs, no one attacks anyone for being a different colour, but it is just how some people talk, especially those who share the same ethnicity. It is what is, if you don't like it, remove yourself.

Some people don't understand the difference.

Not defending Aris however. He crossed the line and should be in prison. I won't stop saying that. He absolutely went too far. I have never in all my life seen someone go that far.

This post is bad on a number of obvious levels, and even contradicts itself with a dangerous slippery slope. It's like Two-Face from Batman arguing with himself.

Beth Cyra

Why are Phoenix and Wesker classified as such?

What does it matter? To a larger public that doesn't care seeing a female come out and hearing a man shout get that bitch is going to sound sexist.

This wouldn't be the angle that these people would be trying to use it for, and for those listening you are right there with them when you see those wings pop.

This post is bad on a number of obvious levels, and even contradicts itself with a dangerous slippery slope. It's like Two-Face from Batman arguing with himself.

How? People live in the "real" world and certain groups of people interact differently with each other within their base. There is no coddling. There is no PC. However, just because a group of guys are absolutely tasteless, and call each other the first funny thing they can think of, they do not under any circumstance perform violent hate crimes, or deriding and shameful sexual assault and exploitation, which Aris did. His actions are the extreme and he should suffer the consequences.

this weird jared being interviewed conspiracy thing is so bizarre and makes me wonder how much job or life experience the people putting this forward have.

How. People live in the "real" world and certain groups of people interact differently with each other within their base. There is no coddling. There is no PC. However, just because a group of guys are absolutely tasteless, and call each other the first funny thing they can think of, they do not under any circumstance perform violent hate crimes, or deriding and shameful sexual assault and exploitation, which Aris did.
...gurhg.

How. People live in the "real" world and certain groups of people interact differently with each other within their base. There is no coddling. There is no PC.

Ok, ignoring common courtesy for people who might find your humor offensive or upsetting their standing in the community which doesn't directly correlate into "sexual assault, humor or otherwise", but the REAL funny part of this post...

they do not under any circumstance perform violent hate crimes, or deriding and shameful sexual assault and exploitation, which Aris did.

uqq0J.gif

Ok, ignoring common courtesy for people who might find your humor offensive or upsetting their standing in the community which doesn't directly correlate into "sexual assault, humor or otherwise", but the REAL funny part of this post...

uqq0J.gif

What I'm trying to say is you are grouping the 2 together when they don't belong.

A group of guys sitting around a table, calling each other the N words, and being nasty to each other, making cruel jokes is one thing.

Is not the same with what Aris did to Miranda. He does not know the girl on that level, and he over stepped boundaries, and down right assaulted that female.

Is anyone understand what I am trying to say?

Top Bottom