• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cross The Line - Sexual Assault... ok, maybe just Sexual Harassment!

If you watched WNF last night it was when Floe was playing Guy vs Gen and they were talking about getting it in his Ass.... err dude you said ass. OH I MEAN BUTT HE'S GETTING IT IN HIS BUTT. In terms of locking and rushing him down. Followed by the NOS girls and claiming a girl they want...

You know typical guy talk these days.

You missed out the part about sexual harassment.

As a girl who use to actively participate in the FGC (at arcades and tournaments), the thing that I think Aris is really forgetting is the difference between being competitive and actually harassing someone. Feel free to say my Dudley is dog shit or that I played a weak game, but my gender should never be the reason behind it. Not only that, but he was barely even trash talking. Almost none of his commentary was directed towards how she played and was instead about her breasts, thighs, and how she smelled. All of which are widely inappropriate in any context.

Edited for bad typo.

Can we just finally ban Kotaku again? I feel like every hundred posts I make, I plea for this. :(

Why? Because it's negative attention?

Arturo Sanchez ‏ @nycfurby
@sherryjenix @Dios_X_Reloaded Yeah, thats the problem. Everyone from behind the scene is too busy and overloaded with work to talk as well.

Too busy and overloaded to talk but not so busy he can tweet once every two minutes in a display of exactly the kind of walled off defensive posture the Kotaku article brings up as an immature response to the debacle? Not a good look for Arturo.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=461782

Floe's Boshy stream thread. Where everyone that finds this stuff funny are horrible racist people and also sexist.

http://youtu.be/AuDFM5z3AOY

Floe's "greatest" rant

Dark Humor is the best way to describe it. Do the people saying this type of stuff actually feel like that? Well I can't say, I myself get a laugh out of it but I sure as fuck don't find it funny if real shit goes down. Joking about it in analogy form I have no issues with, using it as a threat or going through with actions related to stuff like that.... yeah fuck that.

Is south park banned yet? No it sure as fuck isn't. If someone directly did something at events and such and they got reported, you can bet your ass they will be out of there.

You missed out the part about sexual harassment.

I skipped it cause it was irrelevant, smart ass talk that everyone and their mothers do when a situation like that exist in the world for laughs. If you want to criticize them, criticize them about the actual meat and bones there, not the sarcasm.

Why? Because it's negative attention?

Too busy and overloaded to talk but not so busy he can tweet once every two minutes in a display of exactly the kind of walled off defensive posture the Kotaku article brings up as an immature response to the debacle? Not a good look for Arturo.

Yeah, he can stream a bunch for blowup and gettin them three dollas but when people say stupid shit he can't take a minute to tweet his opinion on it.

Doomshine

Almost everyone is on their way to or at Final Round right now, tweeting on your phone is not the same as giving statements to the press.

As a girl who use to actively participate in the FCG (at arcades and tournaments), the thing that I think Aris is really forgetting is the difference between being competitive and actually harassing someone. Feel free to say my Dudley is dog shit or that I played a weak game, but my gender should never be the reason behind it. Not only that, but he was barely even trash talking. Almost none of his commentary was directed towards how she played and was instead about her breasts, thighs, and how she smelled. All of which are widely inappropriate in any context.

this is a point which many people here seem incapable of absorbing despite repeated attempts to pound it into their skulls.

there's a difference between trash talking someone for superficial shit like skill at a game and going after someone for qualities intrinsic to who and what they are as a human being

broz0rs

Eh, it'll be a story only until the next round of gaming-related layoffs or some major release. Gaming news sites have the attention span of a gnat.

Yeah, just like Ocean Marketing a month or two ago.

The whole thing probably would have been kept to a minimum if the entirety of the FGC didn't rise up and start to white knight the dude. Some of those "I know what really goes on because i'm a member of the FGC and you're not" tweets are just asking for it. It just kept the fans of flames blowing and invited more and more people to argue the issue.

He also should have never apologized. This ain't a relationship. Apologies never fucking works in the internet, especially considering he doesn't represent an organization. The only apology he should have made is that he got caught and he shouldn't say shit in public like that again.

obonicus

I skipped it cause it was irrelevant, smart ass talk that everyone and their mothers do when a situation like that exist in the world for laughs. If you want to criticize them, criticize them about the actual meat and bones there, not the sarcasm.

In the context of actual sexual harassment caught on video that happened not even a week ago, it is the meat and bones.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
He also should have never apologized. This ain't a relationship. Apologies never fucking works in the internet, especially considering he doesn't represent an organization. The only apology he should have made is that he got caught and he shouldn't say shit in public like that again.
His apology wasn't even an apology. Textbook "I'm sorry you got offended" rather than "I'm sorry for saying shitty things."

No, because they seem to have a knack of putting out shit articles.

About which any reasonable human being can come to their own conclusions. "I don't like that source ban it!" just seems too knee-jerk to be rational.

Almost everyone is on their way to or at Final Round right now, tweeting on your phone is not the same as giving statements to the press.

Maybe, but he still took an hour out of his schedule to gripe about how the truth was not getting out, which is a very ineffective way of getting the truth out and only serves to antagonize regardless. I guess my expectations should be lower?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
You mean one of the faces of the FGC, someone that the uninitiated see as being representative of the whole? Just sayin.

If you mean representative as the butt of jokes, then yeah. People that take things at face value and the paint a brush across everything off that are genearly not so great people themselves.

Marn acts like a total idiot. Everyone that spends even 15 mins looking into things would figure that out.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=461782

Floe's Boshy stream thread. Where everyone that finds this stuff funny are horrible racist people and also sexist.

http://youtu.be/AuDFM5z3AOY

Floe's "greatest" rant

Dark Humor is the best way to describe it. Do the people saying this type of stuff actually feel like that? Well I can't say, I myself get a laugh out of it but I sure as fuck don't find it funny if real shit goes down. Joking about it in analogy form I have no issues with, using it as a threat or going through with actions related to stuff like that.... yeah fuck that.

So you make your argument on something almost entirely unrelated to the video in question (while also insulting everyone in the topic), but then throw the possibility out there that maybe--just MAYBE--they wouldn't find it funny as a "threat" or actual "related actions". Of course the people find it funny in analogy form like you do. Who the hell would legitimately find that shit funny if it actually happened? Pretty sure I'm not racist either, but thanks for insisting I am.

So you not only insult a bunch of people randomly, but then admit you find the same stuff funny before explaining why they're not such bad people after all. Correct me if I'm misunderstanding your post, but it seems entirely pointless in that context. Hoping your post was sarcasm or something, as I get a sense that it could have been.

Others have already pointed out that the Starcraft community isn't exactly some corporatized safe haven from sexual harassment and misogyny, despite what some in the FGC might think. Here are two articles on the subject:

http://thehathorlegacy.com/sexual-harassment-for-female-players-in-starcraft2-thread/
http://www.themarysue.com/all-about-eve-the-story-of-starcraft-2s-first-female-pro/

Dude, that doesn't really help. You can't deflect criticism from one group by pointing out how badly another group fucks up from time to time as well. This might be a valid point of discussion if people were still saying that everyone needs to take a page from MLG/E-Sports/whatever, but that hasn't been mentioned in a good while. Your post just comes off as reaching, that's all I'm saying.

edit: I'll say this, though: if you were just trying to show that this sort of harassment goes beyond fighting game players, you won't find much opposition on that front. It's a problem that stems from (and I loathe to use the term because it's so loaded, but I can't think of another one at the moment) gamer culture as a whole. But the point of this thread is to discuss this incident, and some posters are hoping that this can be a start for some genuine change, where similar incidents have not.

Or to stroke their own egos by painting people they don't know as bigots, apologists and numbskulls with broad strokes and almost no tact, while invoking absolute moral superiority to boot. That happens too.

*back to lurking*

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
So you make your argument on something almost entirely unrelated to the video in question (while also insulting everyone in the topic), but then throw the possibility out there that maybe--just MAYBE--they wouldn't find it funny as a "threat" or actual "related actions". Of course the people find it funny in analogy form like you do. Who the hell would legitimately find that shit funny if it actually happened? Pretty sure I'm not racist either, but thanks for insisting I am.

So you not only insult a bunch of people randomly, but then admit you find the same stuff funny before explaining why they're not such bad people after all. Correct me if I'm misunderstanding your post, but it seems entirely pointless in that context.

Sarcasm sure is hard to get across online :( it wasn't insulting everyone in the thread. It's why I brought up south park as well. maybe I should put the links at the bottom of the post and not the top =/ I watch that damn boshy stream every night til it goes off. It's point was in relevance to the WNF event.

Sarcasm sure is hard to get across online :( it wasn't insulting everyone in the thread. It's why I brought up south park as well. maybe I should put the links at the bottom of the post and not the top =/ I watch that damn boshy stream every night til it goes off. It's point was in relevance to the WNF event.

Yeah, I just edited in a line at the end of mine because I noticed it could have been sarcasm. Was hard to tell. :p

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
He owns EG now? I knew dude was rich but damn...

He's sponsored by mad catz and himself

Given the context of what's happening, why even let someone everyone knows is an idiot onto the mic?

Because everyone in the community for the most part have become close friends over time. Valle can even get along with and have fun with marn at times. Just in different ways. That video is a short clip of a night long event. It's like how the worst parts are always the parts that get shown over the funny or good memories.

Kamek

That Kotaku article is so off base it's not funny. Did they just start paying attention to the FGC? They're taking everything entirely out of context.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Yeah his tag is usually MCZ|MRN Marn.

If he throws himself under the bus, fine, but god dammit Wolfkrone's going to catch some of this too.
Wolfkrone is the most introverted dude in the scene and gives shoutouts to God after winning tournaments.

He'll be fine.

notworksafe

visSHm.jpg

obonicus

Because everyone in the community for the most part have become close friends over time. Valle can even get along with and have fun with marn at times. Just in different ways. That video is a short clip of a night long event. It's like how the worst parts are always the parts that get shown over the funny or good memories.

I realize they're friends. But this I think is a bigger deal than the jokes themselves. It doesn't seem like the FGC is taking this as a serious issue at all. It's just a joking matter, something that'll blow over in a couple of days. inkblot's statement notwithstanding.

If you're actually trying to let the outside media know that 'hey, we're not really like that', then you keep someone who'll make exactly that sort of joke off mic.

Edit: And for people claiming that this is sensationalistic, you should be aware that if they wanted to dig they could find a lot more dirt. It'd take more work, naturally, but there's all sorts of streams out there from after the Miranda thing. Hell, marn was on stream with mike ross, and I couldn't watch the whole thing in archive. So if they wanted to cherrypick the very worst, they could probably do much worse.

RotBot

Dude, that doesn't really help. You can't deflect criticism from one group by pointing out how badly another group fucks up from time to time as well. This might be a valid point of discussion if people were still saying that everyone needs to take a page from MLG/E-Sports/whatever, but that hasn't been mentioned in a good while. Your post just comes off as reaching, that's all I'm saying.

*back to lurking*

I'm not trying to deflect criticism; I don't even follow the FGC much outside of EVO. I'm trying to shine a light on the fact that these attitudes are endemic throughout most gaming communties, like Starcraft, or Bioware RPG nerds, or even Pokemon (actually, probably even more for Pokemon, considering that age group), and to a more general extent, human society at large. We shouldn't get content in our little ivory towers looking down upon the vices of some other community.

Edit: just saw your edit, and that's basically what I'm getting at.

vg260

If you mean representative as the butt of jokes, then yeah. People that take things at face value and the paint a brush across everything off that are genearly not so great people themselves.

Marn acts like a total idiot. Everyone that spends even 15 mins looking into things would figure that out.

His backstory does not matter if he's the one whose face and voice are on these streams. This "broad brush" defense is kinda silly. What do people expect when these are the public faces and voices of the scene (like it or not)? Of course people are going to judge the scene based on the people representing it. If someone turns on a PBA bowling event and sees similar behavior from the faces and voices, they're going to attribute it to the whole PBA environment. The whole issue here is to fix the problem so people have no reason to make such broad classifications. It's obviously present. Brushing it off as people not taking the time to research individuals is ignoring the problem.

Wolfkrone is the most introverted dude in the scene and gives shoutouts to God after winning tournaments.

He'll be fine.

Nope, he's sponsored by Mad Catz just like Marn. Already tainted. If someone has an ax to grind against Marn, they'll naturally go after his sponsor and anyone even remotely involved with them. But Markman has been fairly reasonable about the initial fallout, and I'd assume that Mad Catz will do something about Marn's comments.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I realize they're friends. But this I think is a bigger deal than the jokes themselves. It doesn't seem like the FGC is taking this as a serious issue at all. It's just a joking matter, something that'll blow over in a couple of days. inkblot's statement notwithstanding.

If you're actually trying to let the outside media know that 'hey, we're not really like that', then you keep someone who'll make exactly that sort of joke off mic.

Oh they are taking it very seriously after all this crap is blowing up in their faces, think of it as venting out stress. Sure it comes off stupid as hell. But most people are tense as fuck right now about everything. Having a smart ass idiot on the mic like marn might make everyone look like they don't care to the world, but overall the whole lightheartedness and energy is what everyone is in need for right now.

Where is the video of Valle shouting in marns face doing an SRK to his chin irl after a ryu vs ryu match for shits and giggles while people around marn hold up signs saying fruad and HOLD DAT. Where is the stuff that happened after that. Where is the talk about Floes boshy references and such.

No where, you can't make news off it.

And yes there is FAR WORSE THINGS the media could dig up if they wanted to waaaaaay worse things. A shame the good things that happen won't be talked about just as much.

That there exist worse things in the world does not make any news about this event less relevant.

And considering that places like Kotaku are general gaming websites it's not shocking that they would not spend time covering every little neat thing that happens in the fighting game community.

They cover things that they think people outside genre-specific communities might find of interest.

vulva

I'm in class right now but watched WNF last night. I don't seem to remember any outright awful dialogue about women. I remember, what sounded like, some guys joking around. I'm not saying there wasn't anything sexually offensive in the video but can someone post direct quotes or something since I can't listen? I'm curious what specifics were said to cause such outrage.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I'm in class right now but watched WNF last night. I don't seem to remember any outright awful dialogue about women. I remember, what sounded like, some guys joking around. I'm not saying there wasn't anything sexually offensive in the video but can someone post direct quotes or something since I can't listen? I'm curious what specifics were said to cause such outrage.

If you watched WNF last night it was when Floe was playing Guy vs Gen and they were talking about getting it in his Ass.... err dude you said ass. OH I MEAN BUTT HE'S GETTING IT IN HIS BUTT. In terms of locking and rushing him down. Followed by the NOS girls and claiming a girl they want...

Toss in omg dude THAT'S SEXUAL HARASSMENT CANT TALK ABOUT THAT STUFF!!!! while laughing and ya that's the gist of it

Top Bottom