• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cross The Line - Sexual Assault... ok, maybe just Sexual Harassment!

Man, this entire topic just stinks. There's no way of picking a side without ending up being reductionist.

Speaking as a UK FGC member, I don't understand the US culture. But I think that all this silly drama which stemmed from the actions of one person needs to really be looked at in perspective, and the US FGC needs to act as one over this issue. This is 100% drama and it's getting the way of men throwing hadokens at each other.

There is a very important difference between allowing people to speak their minds and what Aris did. The fact that this has now erupted into a massive drama over streaming and what can be said is silly.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Man, this entire topic just stinks. There's no way of picking a side without ending up being reductionist.

Speaking as a UK FGC member, I don't understand the US culture. But I think that all this silly drama which stemmed from the actions of one person needs to really be looked at in perspective, and the US FGC needs to act as one over this issue. This is 100% drama and it's getting the way of men throwing hadokens at each other

There is a very important difference between allowing people to speak their minds and what Aris did. The fact that this has now erupted into a massive drama over streaming and what can be said is silly.

You can talk about the subject in this topic easily. Just be as rational as possible and don't let one side of the argument piss you off to the point were you turn into a raging lunatic and start spouting hateful garbage. The more you can see both sides of the argument the easier it is to do so. This is pretty much the guideline for any debate or discussion.

"I survived CrossAssault" is becoming a noteworthy accomplishment, it seems.

I like what Jared said. There should be more talk like this (not necessarily in terms of agreement, but tone) and less tit for tat bullshit.

Daigo justin/wong parry moment = pure fighting game hype nothing else. There are tons more stuff like that as well. The fighting games are doing a fine job imo. It's the, I don't know how to say it any other way, 4Chan style stream monsters that are really making things look shitty. The commentators trying to please them is even more stupid.

But just to get out there, spooky has streams that gets more viewers than MLG events. Fighting games are growing, weeding out the nasty isn't a bad thing.

I seem bipolar as hell if you read all my post in this thread dear god.... idk I just normally view things from every angle possible. One sided debate and discussion is bleh.
Like this.

And speaking of that Daigo/Wong parry, that's what got me into this whole thing, cheesy and cliche as that may be. I had seen competitive gaming here and there, but nothing like *that*. The energy in that room was palpable even in a shitty internet vid (before youtube even, iirc!).

Kifftopher

Neo Member
Neato getting banned just reinforces my generally low opinion of the type of gaf. Half of this thread is complaining about taking sexual harassment too seriously and overly punishing people for it. Neato calls them on their hypocrisy and they prove his point.

Shouta

Neato getting banned just reinforces my generally low opinion of the type of gaf. Half of this thread is complaining about taking sexual harassment too seriously and overly punishing people for it. Neato calls them on their hypocrisy and they prove his point.

Did you not read what duckroll just posted?

How is it out of line? Assuming he means Marn's stream, isn't that absolutely on topic? I'm watching this one http://www.twitch.tv/marnorz/b/310289554 at the moment, and it's sobering to see how impossibly stupid he is. I can't argue that he's willfully ignorant in his self-pity party, as it's clear that he -- like so many who have posted in this thread -- is incapable of understanding the line that Aris crossed, unable to see how vulgarity isn't the issue, and that nobody is asking for pointless politically correct bowdlerizing of fighting game commentary. If he was ten nobody would begrudge him for forcing them to explain what adults know, but he's not. Instead he's an uneducated buffoon who has apparently passed into some semblance of adulthood without working, without socializing outside of an insular clique as small as it is small-minded. (That clique being his friends, not the larger "community.")

It's amazing the lengths a person will go to dehumanize someone else just to further their crusade.

Actually, about a week ago, I heard marn talking some shit on a stream. he was being his usual dumb, belligerent self. Then he got a call from some girl who was crying to him about how she needed to be picked up 6 hours away or something. Not sure what the deal was...he didn't want to go at first because apparently she stole stuff from him. But then he decided he couldn't just let her hang if she was really in trouble and left the stream to go pick her up. The other guys on the stream were commenting about how he was so friendly and all that stuff despite being kind of a rough guy.

So, you know, chill out before running off on someone just cause you witness some of their weaker moments.

obonicus

Also, mods have participated quite a bit in this thread, and not a SINGLE one has disagreed with what happened being despicable and unacceptable. duckroll's comments on the FGC early on in the thread were extremely harsh.

You can talk about the subject in this topic easily. Just be as rational as possible and don't let one side of the argument piss you off to the point were you turn into a raging lunatic and start spouting hateful garbage. The more you can see both sides of the argument the easier it is to do so.

Good life advice.

If there are genuinely problematic commentators that can't be trusted to cross the line into legit sexism, I think it's fair to not allow them to commentate. But there's the ability to indicate that your stream is for 18+ people on Twitch for a reason. I like how people are blunt and honest in the US scene. It's less manufactured than many other esports.

People also need to consider that the western FGC community is probably the most racially diverse community in gaming, so the fact that there's now a massive argument over sexism, which is just another form of bigotry, is actually really interesting, and it suggests an obvious solution in just treating female and male players equally, rather than encouraging or discouraging female players. It's not actually the end of the world if not many women are involved. Do you see football players ripping their hair out over worries that not as many women play football competetively as men? The fact that we make such a big deal over players like Sherry and Super Yan because they're a novelty is, I would argue, a bad thing.

Treat everyone around you as a human being and you will be in a community of human beings. Treat everyone around you as men and women and you end up in a community of tensions.

FartOfWar

Banned
It's amazing the lengths a person will go to dehumanize someone else just to further their crusade.

Actually, about a week ago, I heard marn talking some shit on a stream. he was being his usual dumb, belligerent self. Then he got a call from some girl who was crying to him about how she needed to be picked up 6 hours away or something. Not sure what the deal was...he didn't want to go at first because apparently she stole stuff from him. But then he decided he couldn't just let her hang if she was really in trouble and left the stream to go pick her up. The other guys on the stream were commenting about how he was so friendly and all that stuff despite being kind of a rough guy.

So, you know, chill out before running off on someone just cause you witness some of their weaker moments.

Yes, the "but he was such a nice, churchgoing neighbor" witness for the defense. Watch the stream I linked. Explain to me how it doesn't demonstrate his inability to differentiate between vulgarity and racist/sexist vulgarity and outright sexual harassment. Trust me, I love vulgar humor, and I've demonstrated it's possible to be vulgar and not racist/sexist.

Chavelo

Okay:

It's good (and encouraged) to have discussions and bring forth your opinion in this forum.

He was not banned for doing that.

Please do read his other posts and see what is the difference between his posts and the rest.

ElFly

Well, SRK actually did something. His first article about this was pure talk but this one is a good start.

Taking away the sponsorship from tournaments that do not impose a a minimum code of behavior is good.

e: and punishing commentators and participants too. Yeah, evo seeding points are next to meaningless, but it's that or banning marn. Marn should learn a lesson here.

Kifftopher

Neo Member
Having a valid point does not give anyone a free pass to use personal insults and post shit to further stir shit up on purpose.

Don't worry, this thread is now much classier now that the guy saying shit like "fucking cretin" is banned. You're welcome.

Edit this slightly and it would be Neato's argument about punishing people like Aris for their sexism.

Wanting to maintain your community doesn't give you a free pass to use sexist comments and insults and say misogynistic shit.

The FGC would be much classier if the guy saying shit like "what's your bra size" is banned.

Chavelo

Edit this slightly and it would be Neato's argument about punishing people like Aris for their sexism.

Wanting to maintain your community doesn't give you a free pass to use sexist comments and insults and say misogynistic shit.

The FGC would be much classier if the guy saying shit like "what's your bra size" is banned.

Wait, so...

Are you thinking that we are happy that he got banned for having a different opinion that some of the posters in this thread?

I mean, really? Do you not... see why he got banned?

If anything, I agree to some extent with what he said, but... really?

Stooping to Aris level language to attack people that are debating civilly isn't the way to solve things either.

duckroll

The difference is that the "FGC" is not an organization. It is a loose combination of various people from all over the world and all over the internet with their own communities and social circles, who sometimes get together at major events, and other times just talk about shit online.

If there is an official organization known as the FGC, and they organize all the major tournaments and events internationally, then I believe many people would indeed be in favor of having a sanction against Aris for the crap he said. He would probably also take the ban and reflect on what a terrible douche he was for ruining the mood of the contest for his own team.

But there isn't. So all people can do right now is make it known to him that they are displeased with him, and do not agree with him.

SRK did (relative) good here. Leading by example, although I'll miss Marn's antics on WNF.

Telling the other venues that they're not going to tolerate the negligence that let the Cross Assault event occur in the first place is a pretty firm foot forward. The punishment is also broad/severe enough to satisfy people who may not understand the whole picture(tldr PR).

Hopefully this doesn't have to happen again... I'd still like to have my salty, blowup-flavored pie and eat it too.

obonicus

That slight edit would involve calling someone a fucking cretin, though. Neato was not the only guy saying that what the FGC did was not okay, either. A lot of people have taken that side of the argument. I'd even say most people who've participated in this thread have gone that way. It's only since inkblot's post that we got a bunch of new people from the 'the FGC will suck now' camp.

I am a moderator on a Twitch user called JefMajor's Twitch stream. Our ban policy is like GAF's in a lot of ways. Don't just let the chat post stuff and only ban links or something. All caps? Ban. Just being an idiot? Ban. Twitch TV faces of any kind? 10 minute time-out.

From my experience, before the strict rules were in place, the chat was garbage. Afterwards, the chat is readable and intelligent, and there's rarely a need for slow-mode.

Charity begins at home, reducing idiocy starts with banhammer. Remove the people who are causing the actual problems, but the SRK post makes me seriously worried that there's going to be an overreaction that goes from just banning people to banning topics, opinions and anything that's not been vetted by a streaming staff that wants a totally santatized product.

duckroll

Just so I don't misunderstand, can you state for the record that you are saying that you have a low opinion of GAF because you disagree with the moderation of this thread? I want to be clear here before I do anything.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Good life advice.

If there are genuinely problematic commentators that can't be trusted to cross the line into legit sexism, I think it's fair to not allow them to commentate. But there's the ability to indicate that your stream is for 18+ people on Twitch for a reason. I like how people are blunt and honest in the US scene. It's less manufactured than many other esports.

People also need to consider that the western FGC community is probably the most racially diverse community in gaming, so the fact that there's now a massive argument over sexism, which is just another form of bigotry, is actually really interesting, and it suggests an obvious solution in just treating female and male players equally, rather than encouraging or discouraging female players. It's not actually the end of the world if not many women are involved. Do you see football players ripping their hair out over worries that not as many women play football competitively as men? The fact that we make such a big deal over players like Sherry and Super Yan because they're a novelty is, I would argue, a bad thing.

Treat everyone around you as a human being and you will be in a community of human beings. Treat everyone around you as men and women and you end up in a community of tensions.

Yup this is the same reason I never played nice vs ANYONE at the arcades. No one got special treatment everyone was just another person playing the game to me. I don't give a damn if you have a dick or a vagina or tits and a dick or you are 8 years old. If you are going to play we are going to play and I'm going to beat you.... or try to at least hahaha.

The whole girls league thing at evo was dumb as well. Just hearing about that event pissed me off. If girls want to play games and not be treated as something different THEN FINE DO THAT don't sign up for some dumbass shit like that. Girls don't play worse than guys there is nothing there that causes them to do so. Giving girls special treatment as well is stupid as hell and is sexist just as bad as acting all shocked they are there in the first place.

Just so I don't misunderstand, can you state for the record that you are saying that you have a low opinion of GAF because you disagree with the moderation of this thread? I want to be clear here before I do anything.

I think he was just calling out how hateful your first post in the thread was, then again when you just hear news emotions can be a little high. It was a little over the top though. Moderation in the thread has been fine for people on both sides of the fence and has been keeping the discussion as sane as possible.

FartOfWar

Banned
I am a moderator on a Twitch user called JefMajor's Twitch stream. Our ban policy is like GAF's in a lot of ways. Don't just let the chat post stuff and only ban links or something. All caps? Ban. Just being an idiot? Ban. Twitch TV faces of any kind? 10 minute time-out.

From my experience, before the strict rules were in place, the chat was garbage. Afterwards, the chat is readable and intelligent, and there's rarely a need for slow-mode.

Charity begins at home, reducing idiocy starts with banhammer. Remove the people who are causing the actual problems, but the SRK post makes me seriously worried that there's going to be an overreaction that goes from just banning people to banning topics, opinions and anything that's not been vetted by a streaming staff that wants a totally santatized product.

Ban wanton use of ellipses as well!

Mr Jared

Yeah, people have been trying to make me the scapegoat on this since it kicked off. That's fine, but I'm also not going to let myself get bullied or have people spread rumors about me without a chance to respond. I'm still going to support the fighting scene and fight for sponsorship for events wherever I can. People might not like what I say, that's fine, but the answer isn't to smear people to make them disappear so you don't hear it anymore.

Besides, I think I've said enough ;) For the foreseeable future I'll be focused on the games themselves and doing what I usually do in the background to try and ensure growth and reward players. It's up to others to run with the message -- hopefully in a positive way.

Kifftopher

Neo Member

I'm not defending Neato's specific language, just saying it seems ironic that a lot of people in this thread have complained that people are taking misogynist insults and sexual harassment too seriously, saying "it's just joking around" and they don't want people to be harshly punished for it, but harsh punishment comes down on Neato for his insults.

Sblargh

Banned
Yup this is the same reason I never played nice vs ANYONE at the arcades. No one got special treatment everyone was just another person playing the game to me. I don't give a damn if you have a dick or a vagina or tits and a dick. If you are going to play we are going to play and I'm going to beat you.... or try to at least hahaha.

The whole girls league thing at evo was dumb as well. Just hearing about that event pissed me off. If girls want to play games and not be treated as something different THEN FINE DO THAT don't sign up for some dumbass shit like that. Girls don't play worse than guys there is nothing there that causes them to do so. Giving girls special treatment as well is stupid as hell and is sexist just as bad as acting all shocked they are there in the first place.

I think he was just calling out how hateful your first post in the thread was, then again when you just hear the news emotions can be a little high. It was a little over the top though. Moderation in the thread has been fine for people on both sides of the fence.

I am all in favor of playing your max against anyone. Not crushing people is more disrespectful than acting more dumb than you would in what you consider a real match. You really show respect by playing your best every time.

But to be clear. It is not the same as how you treat them when in a conversation.

Azure J

Yup this is the same reason I never played nice vs ANYONE at the arcades. No one got special treatment everyone was just another person playing the game to me. I don't give a damn if you have a dick or a vagina or tits and a dick or you are 8 years old. If you are going to play we are going to play and I'm going to beat you.... or try to at least hahaha.

You are really on fire with these posts Q.

Satch

Banned
People also need to consider that the western FGC community is probably the most racially diverse community in gaming, so the fact that there's now a massive argument over sexism, which is just another form of bigotry, is actually really interesting, and it suggests an obvious solution in just treating female and male players equally, rather than encouraging or discouraging female players. It's not actually the end of the world if not many women are involved. Do you see football players ripping their hair out over worries that not as many women play football competetively as men? The fact that we make such a big deal over players like Sherry and Super Yan because they're a novelty is, I would argue, a bad thing.
I like the general idea, but I don't think this is completely how it should be.

Women largely feel unwelcome in many insular, male dominated communities (I should know! :p), and I feel that it's pretty important to show women that the environment is a welcoming one.

You don't have to treat us in any sort of dramatically special way, because we generally don't want to feel singled out, but many of us do want to feel like our wishes can be respected, without a furor in response, when we choose not to comply with the more "masculine tropes" (for lack of a better phrase).

FartOfWar

Banned
The difference is that the "FGC" is not an organization. It is a loose combination of various people from all over the world and all over the internet with their own communities and social circles, who sometimes get together at major events, and other times just talk about shit online.

If there is an official organization known as the FGC, and they organize all the major tournaments and events internationally, then I believe many people would indeed be in favor of having a sanction against Aris for the crap he said. He would probably also take the ban and reflect on what a terrible douche he was for ruining the mood of the contest for his own team.

But there isn't. So all people can do right now is make it known to him that they are displeased with him, and do not agree with him.

There's a loose coalition of people who have the money and the equipment, how can we possibly sanctio... Oh wait, the people with the money and equipment could do it.

"Just so I don't misunderstand, can you state for the record that you are saying that you have a low opinion of GAF because you disagree with the moderation of this thread? I want to be clear here before I do anything."

The king demands that you explain yourself before he beheads you.

Speaking as a UK FGC member, I don't understand the US culture. But I think that all this silly drama which stemmed from the actions of one person needs to really be looked at in perspective, and the US FGC needs to act as one over this issue. This is 100% drama and it's getting the way of men throwing hadokens at each other.

I think the reason it got as big as it did is that had the things that he did been responded to in a transparent and decisive manner, it likely would have not caused the terrible things to have been said on Sunday, nor would the stink have festered enough that someone felt they needed to tell the media.

Once it got into the gaming press, it became not just about Aris and what he had done but the community to which he belonged. Many comments on the blogs wondered whether or not this was endemic to the scene (as Aris seemingly suggested) and many people emphatically stated that he was an isolated case and did not represent them.

Marn, thanks to his making light of an issue that the community as a whole has been shamed by, undermined literally everyone trying to make the case that Aris is an isolated case. He embarassed Level|Up and cost them both EVO points and SRK sponsorship, thus making sure that every person who now streams is going to have to think about the possible consequences for themselves or their organization, especially if they are supported by SRK Illuminati or other organization likely to pull funding because of bad behavior.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I am all in favor of playing your max against anyone. Not crushing people is more disrespectful than acting more dumb than you would in what you consider a real match. You really show respect by playing your best every time.

But to be clear. It is not the same as how you treat them when in a conversation.

I agree, I was going on about how the community makes a big deal about having girls in it. Evo isn't guilt free.

The subject as a whole right now is way past the how to talk to girls nicely part.

Women largely feel unwelcome in many insular, male dominated communities (I should know! :p), and I feel that it's pretty important to show women that the environment is a welcoming one.

You don't have to treat us in any sort of dramatically special way, because we generally don't want to feel singled out, but many of us do want to feel like our wishes can be respected, without a furor in response, when we choose not to comply with the more "masculine tropes" (for lack of a better phrase).

I would really like to hear examples of this, because I think this is the crux of the matter.

What should manz consider, if anything? Is there a general list of things people should consider?

Warpticon

I'm not defending Neato's specific language, just saying it seems ironic that a lot of people in this thread have complained that people are taking misogynist insults and sexual harassment too seriously, saying "it's just joking around" and they don't want people to be harshly punished for it, but harsh punishment comes down on Neato for his insults.

I've read a lot of this thread, and I don't remember any of this. Who are these people?

Neki

Why do you think the FGC and NeoGAF are the same? Just because some people in the FGC may believe that people are taking things too seriously, that doesn't make anyone exempt from being punished on neogaf for exhibiting the same behaviour.

Sblargh

Banned
I agree, I was going on about how the community makes a big deal about having girls in it. Evo isn't guilt free.

The subject as a whole right now is way past the how to talk to girls nicely part.

I honestly don't know what to think about the woman's tourrny. On one hand I like, because there is this historical weight and while most guys played games as little kids, a lot of girls started a lot later; but on the other hand, I feel they should slowly carve they way in and that's why it is so fricking important that they feel welcomed, so they have a chance to do that fair and square.

Kifftopher

Neo Member
I really hope FGC doesn't stoop to banning Aris.

Dude made a major fuck up and needs to deal with it, however with as big and diverse the FGC is I much rather it take the believe people aren't as bad as their lowest point.

Aris is a man who has put in a lot of time and effort into the FGC and we all, especially the Tekken scene has benefitted greatly from all the work he has out into it.

Aris should pay his due, but let's not ruin what has proven to be a good thing and for the scene when all is said and done.

Just first example I found, I could find more if you really want, Warpticon.

duckroll

There's a loose coalition of people who have the money and the equipment, how can we possibly sanctio... Oh wait, the people with the money and equipment could do it.

I believe it has been explained before, but the problem is not that there is no one who can sanction Aris, but rather that no single organizer has the reach to sanction him in any meaningful way.

But I think the bigger question here is, why didn't Capcom sanction him for the actions and comments he made while on a show organized by Capcom, which Capcom has now come out to say they disagree with and find unacceptable?

obonicus

But I think the bigger question here is, why didn't Capcom sanction him for the actions and comments he made while on a show organized by Capcom, which Capcom has now come out to say they disagree with and find unacceptable?

Especially since inkblot/EVO was able to quite effectively sanction WNF/Marn/ETR.

FartOfWar

Banned
I believe it has been explained before, but the problem is not that there is no one who can sanction Aris, but rather that no single organizer has the reach to sanction him in any meaningful way.

Absolutely. This was the point I meant to make.

LiK

whoa, this thread has been quite interesting. i'm curious how all this pans out in future tourney streams.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

They pulled him aside and there were apologies, later on miranda said ON AIR nothing was wrong and the one person that wrote a blog post about her being harassed she called a dumbass and that there was no issue in the first place... ON AIR.

The situation is dumb ass hell, and I'm really not trying to play blame the victim here, but I think things went on further because she acted like things were okay. Let alone almost asking one of the contestants how big their dick is to back up her statement about her boyfriend. Capcom was probably like OH HEY LOLZ THEY ARE ALL GETTING ALONG AGAIN :D

No there is still no excuse for why he was still on the show after it. I'm guessing they just didn't want to stop it.

Toss in all this internet publicity she is getting now about it, making things even worse for her. You think someone that was sexually harassed or raped or any of that subject mater wants the world to know and see that type of stuff about it, or see the break down of it. Shit really sucks for her.

Well some people are open about it, but she really really doesnt seem the type.

Chavelo

I completely agree with this.

That was really bad on Capcom's part, and I find it sad that an amateur (or semi-pro, to be more nice) production got on it on the next day. Both times there was an article that called them out on it, but only Level-Up Live apologized in matter of hours. :-/

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I think that SRK/Evo removing EVO seed points and endorsement from WNF is a clear sign of things to come.

Hurmun

Neo Member
e36Hu.gif

seriously, wtf?

When I read that I lost my mind man. Aris made the situation worse for himself.

Toski

Just first example I found, I could find more if you really want, Warpticon.
I don't find this a very good example of people defending Aris' actions.

He did the crime now he has to do the time, but some think that he shouldn't immediately be ostracized from the community and given a second chance in due time.

Top Bottom