• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cross The Line - Sexual Assault... ok, maybe just Sexual Harassment!

At last, my dream of hearing nothing on commentary other than Chen complaining about Cammy and Ski screaming senselessly whenever life bars get close to depleting has come to pass.

Will be really interesting to see if this has a positive or negative effect on the viewership of fighting game streams.

vulva

I'm a bit late on marn's stream but someone mentioned he brought up kayopolice, right? So why is it that the fighting game community is being called closed minded and ignorant when it has some well loved and embraced members within it who are openly transgendered? No positive acclaim for treating people like karaface or kayopolice as respected members as well?

Beth Cyra

At last, my dream of hearing nothing on commentary other than Chen complaining about Cammy and Ski screaming senselessly whenever life bars get close to depleting has come to pass.

Will be really interesting to see if this has a positive or negative effect on the viewership of fighting game streams.

Well without Aris and Markman dong Tekken together I will be dropping those.

I will so do SF/Marvel so long as we have Art/David/Yipes though.

It's the FG version of Super Bowl XXXVIII.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
But its not manufacture. Some personalities are just like that. Before the cameras came in, before there were streams. Smoothviper/Noel/Fchamp and a lot of the east coast don't try to make drama, they are just being themselves. Do you really think Yipes doesn't say stuff that can be seen as derogatory?
Barfights was almost a completely manufactured event. Gootecks described it as a tournament without filler... "filler" being the competition and casual matches that anyone but the top players would ever go to a tournament for. It is completely and utterly spectator-oriented in nature, an exhibition through and through. It's a terrible example for you to use, because it's all about presentation and nothing about the substance that Gootecks calls filler.

It changes the way the fgc community gets presented. What actually happens at the event stays mostly the same.

I'm slightly hesitant to believe that but I'll wait and see. Like I said its not hard to see people would say "ok you clean your act on camera, but what about off camera at the venue?"

Barfights was almost a completely manufactured event. Gootecks described it as a tournament without filler... "filler" being the competition and casual matches that anyone but the top players would ever go to a tournament for. It is completely and utterly spectator-oriented in nature, an exhibition through and through. It's a terrible example for you to use, because it's all about presentation and nothing about the substance that Gootecks calls filler.

Yes I know Barfights 3 is manufactured, poor example I admit (I was just mainly thinking about noel's popoff). But that doesn't mean the Westcoast Warzones/Season Beatings/Winter Brawl and the other (mainly eastcoast) majors are manufactured.

Beth Cyra

Didn't realize WoW=Russian Roulette

Haha Katy Perry>Stream Monsters

Just saying, Marn gettting down to Katy Perry is one of the creepiest things ever in the FGC.

.....Take that back, Aqua and Marn dance off was even worse.

smurfx

get some go again
wonder if many of the streamers will end up going overboard in their self censorship and have their viewers turn on them. i understand the need to censor some of the stuff that makes the community look bad but you can't go overboard either.

Azure J

GAF needs it's own Major to show the rest of the world what the FGC IS REALLY ALL ABOUT AMIRITE

Streamed by TeamKadey.
Sponsored by MCZ MarkMan and EviLore.
Brackets run by USD.
Pot bonus courtesy of PSN MahvelGAF.

Damn, PSN on extra blast tonight. Who'd do commentary?

Kikujiro

wonder if many of the streamers will end up going overboard in their self censorship and have their viewers turn on them. i understand the need to censor some of the stuff that makes the community look bad but you can't go overboard either.

I don't know man, maybe spectators tune in to see Daigo vs JWong and not someone cursing. I think the streamers will be fine.

I don't understand what consequences people want. The FGC doesn't have a governing body-- it's a big group of friends. Some people will shun him, some (seems like most) will stay friends with him and probably give him shit about this until the end of time.

But, uh, it would be nice if all this talk about how nobody is doing anything about the scene or how the scene is out of control would stop. This scene is older than Day 1 of Cross Assault and has had far worse scandals-- and everyone involved survived and learned from it! All without the help of the gaming media or non-fans.

There's this false dilemma being presented that the scene needs to clean up or risk losing what we've built. Capcom is throwing in $500k to tourneys this year. Do you think that would happen if the FGC was this balls out crazy, racist, sexist, dangerous thing? Obviously not. Haunts has said that Cross Assault opened doors. Announcements about this stuff will overshadow this drama, hopefully.

A lot of non-fans that are commenting just seem totally out for a fight. The internet commentary is pretty far gone and doesn't seem like it'll be satiated until Aris is sued into homelessness. It just seems odd that non-fans would hear a story about this, then suddenly think they have authority to make things happen in the FGC. And like I said, how Aris is dealt with is gonna happen on an individual, non-internet drama level because FGC mostly takes place off the stream cameras.

Non-fans aren't gonna get some huge denoument to the situation, so it's pretty obnoxious to see these righteous calls for change and massive sweeps in commentary. There'll be some lingering stories-- I'm sure someone will find something to pin on a Final Round commentator, contestant, the crowd...hell, I wouldn't be surprised if a kotaku writer hung out in a stream chat for 5 minutes, then drafted a story about the depravity of stream monsters. But I imagine this will blow over pretty quickly.

and by "blow over," I don't mean we can get back to our regularly programmed misogyny, I mean the FGC can get back to working on itself without all this "outside help." It's a very democratic kind of community and things work themselves out, thanks.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
god's beard since he wouldn't be in the tournament for long. :p

I wanna try commentary sometime as well :) I should start turning my mic on in psn rooms. Besides it would be funny to snap back and forth with gods like I do on the threads already hahaha

JudgeN

It changes the way the fgc community gets presented. What actually happens at the event stays mostly the same.

I agree popoffs with bad language, sidebets, and a large crowd yelling inappropriate things will all still be there. Top players and stream commentators however will be all PG.

What I'm slightly curious about is the "salty suites money matches" to see if that sort of environment can see some form of good behavior especially after players start getting that liquor in them.

alstein

If that's the case, the fighting games aren't doing their job.

Just got in, shocked at all of this news, but pleasantly surprised at the SRK staff.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
If that's the case, the fighting games aren't doing their job.

Daigo justin/wong parry moment = pure fighting game hype nothing else. There are tons more stuff like that as well. The fighting games are doing a fine job imo. It's the, I don't know how to say it any other way, 4Chan style stream monsters that are really making things look shitty. The commentators trying to please them is even more stupid.

But just to get out there, spooky has streams that gets more viewers than MLG events. Fighting games are growing, weeding out the nasty isn't a bad thing.

I seem bipolar as hell if you read all my post in this thread dear god.... idk I just normally view things from every angle possible. One sided debate and discussion is bleh.

Tyree

Neo Member
I never thought Id see gaf be so pro censorship.

Then you enter a whole other grey area of whether Black people should use the N word or not, whether they should be okay with letting their non-Black friends use it, etc. Cause it was Aquasilk who brought that up first.

I don't want to see this fiasco go THAT way. That's ugly too.

I was joking I love that shit.

Yeah -.- I just need friends that are into it as much as I am that want to go. Also a wheel chair x.x

I was talking about commentary.

obonicus

I take back my doubting inkblot. I'm impressed by his response. I don't know if the degree of punishment is appropriate (I'm kind of leaning towards a tiny bit too harsh) but the message came across completely clear.

And personally I watch streams because I like to see talented individuals playing fighting games at the highest level. The drama might be entertaining, but it's not why I'm there -- it's mostly fluff.

Anth0ny

If we lose Rush Hour and Yipes/Matrix because of this... ugh.

I like Chen/David, but those other guys are my favorite on the mic. Insightful commentary mixed with hype and comedy.

and by "blow over," I don't mean we can get back to our regularly programmed misogyny, I mean the FGC can get back to working on itself without all this "outside help." It's a very democratic kind of community and things work themselves out, thanks.

If we were better at self-policing, the drama wouldn't have happened in the first place. If one dude in that room that had asked Aris to back off, if one person had shut him down before his stupid rant, had a few leaders in the community pressured Capcom into booting him after what happened, it's unlikely that it would have went down the way it did.

And given the nature of the things that went on in that room, it doesn't take being a part of the community to know that the things that were said and that were done were wrong.

We do ourselves a disservice when we act as if every perspective from the outside is an attack, instead of taking the perspective as useful and trying to look at the things that went on from another angle.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
I'm a bit late on marn's stream but someone mentioned he brought up kayopolice, right? So why is it that the fighting game community is being called closed minded and ignorant when it has some well loved and embraced members within it who are openly transgendered? No positive acclaim for treating people like karaface or kayopolice as respected members as well?

Normally I would say being a community that welcomes openly gay and TG members is not particularly worthy of distinction, but considering the circumstances, it's worth noting. I certainly can't think of another gaming community with this many celebrated, internationally well known LGBT members. It's also a long running joke that the FGC is the only place where Asians and blacks get along so well, so it's mind boggling that people call the FGC not diverse.

vulva

Normally I would say being a community that welcomes openly gay and TG members is not particularly worthy of distinction, but considering the circumstances, it's worth noting. I certainly can't think of another gaming community with this many celebrated, internationally well known LGBT members. It's also a long running joke that the FGC is the only place where Asians and blacks get along so well, so it's mind boggling that people call the FGC not diverse.

Yeah I wouldn't bring it up normally, since truthfully it shouldn't be something that matters. It's how people contribute and who they are, not what they are. That said, it seems everyone's hell bent on making it seem like this community is entirely closed off and a "traditional boys club" so to speak. Meanwhile we have Ricky Ortiz getting to grand finals against Daigo at EVO 2010 and the atmosphere there was nothing but support for him. No cracks about his attire could be heard over all the cheering for him.

Or how about other "minorities" so to speak, like broly legs. The heavily handicapped Chun player from Texas who's been embraced and supported heavily. It seems like the community has plenty of diversity, but that doesn't matter because a few made crude/inappropriate comments recently.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I don't understand what consequences people want. The FGC doesn't have a governing body-- it's a big group of friends. .

Well, no. There have been players banned from individual tournaments before. Just because there is no governing body (although if you fuck up hard enough, I'm sure Evo can and would ban you from Evo and Road to Evo events).

Welp, guess there's no reason to watch WNF anymore. James Chen/Ultra David are the least entertaining commentators they have. I sure hope this doesn't have any effect on sp00kys stuff. Are they actually blaming them for commenting on the NOS girls?

The only reason those women got that job is to use their sexuality as a tool to control and influence men. You should blame NOS, not the guys on the stream, but i guess both of them are to blame really, I'm disgusted by the NOS girls and the comments, you really shouldn't draw any attention to them in hopes they go away and stop getting paid to whore themselves out for products.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Welp, guess there's no reason to watch WNF anymore. James Chen/Ultra David are the least entertaining commentators they have. I sure hope this doesn't have any effect on sp00kys stuff. Are they actually blaming them for commenting on the NOS girls?

The only reason those women got that job is to use their sexuality as a tool to control and influence men. You should blame NOS, not the guys on the stream, but i guess both of them are to blame really, I'm disgusted by the NOS girls and the comments, you really shouldn't draw any attention to them in hopes they go away and stop getting paid to whore themselves out for products.
Think.

Yeah I wouldn't bring it up normally, since truthfully it shouldn't be something that matters. It's how people contribute and who they are, not what they are. That said, it seems everyone's hell bent on making it seem like this community is entirely closed off and a "traditional boys club" so to speak. Meanwhile we have Ricky Ortiz getting to grand finals against Daigo at EVO 2010 and the atmosphere there was nothing but support for him. No cracks about his attire could be heard over all the cheering for him.

Or how about other "minorities" so to speak, like broly legs. The heavily handicapped Chun player from Texas who's been embraced and supported heavily. It seems like the community has plenty of diversity, but that doesn't matter because a few made crude/inappropriate comments recently.

If you want those stories out there then send a tip to the guys who write stories on a regular basis. They don't write a story on every tip, obviously, but if we're not engaged with them then how are they supposed to know? Gaming is big, and an editor at a general gaming site isn't going to know everything going on with all the various sub-communities out there.

Considering the fact that they are now paying attention to what's going on at these tournaments, now's a pretty good time to show anyone and everyone what we're like at our best.

vulva

If you want those stories out there then send a tip to the guys who write stories on a regular basis. They don't write a story on every tip, obviously, but if we're not engaged with them then how are they supposed to know? Gaming is big, and an editor at a general gaming site isn't going to know everything going on with all the various sub-communities out there.

Considering the fact that they are now paying attention to what's going on at these tournaments, now's a pretty good time to show anyone and everyone what we're like at our best.

Fuck it, may as well send something in. That said, people want blood right now since it's a hot item. Sensationalism will always grab more interest than calm discussion. This thread's way too big to sort through but I'm sure that every positive thing existing within this community has already been twisted in to being viewed as a negative.

Well, no. There have been players banned from individual tournaments before. Just because there is no governing body (although if you fuck up hard enough, I'm sure Evo can and would ban you from Evo and Road to Evo events).

yeah, Evo is one part of the FGC. And Spooky is another part, LevelUp another-- that's my point. I keep seeing these calls for giving him consequences and other things that reflect a lot of misunderstandings about the "community" part of the FGC. It's pretty loose and easy going. If Miranda wants to sue Aris and Capcom to really lay the smackdown (which i'm sure the drama leeches and hit counters really want to see), that's her prerogative.

Masaki_

I don't understand what consequences people want. The FGC doesn't have a governing body-- it's a big group of friends. Some people will shun him, some (seems like most) will stay friends with him and probably give him shit about this until the end of time.

But, uh, it would be nice if all this talk about how nobody is doing anything about the scene or how the scene is out of control would stop. This scene is older than Day 1 of Cross Assault and has had far worse scandals-- and everyone involved survived and learned from it! All without the help of the gaming media or non-fans.

There's this false dilemma being presented that the scene needs to clean up or risk losing what we've built. Capcom is throwing in $500k to tourneys this year. Do you think that would happen if the FGC was this balls out crazy, racist, sexist, dangerous thing? Obviously not. Haunts has said that Cross Assault opened doors. Announcements about this stuff will overshadow this drama, hopefully.

A lot of non-fans that are commenting just seem totally out for a fight. The internet commentary is pretty far gone and doesn't seem like it'll be satiated until Aris is sued into homelessness. It just seems odd that non-fans would hear a story about this, then suddenly think they have authority to make things happen in the FGC. And like I said, how Aris is dealt with is gonna happen on an individual, non-internet drama level because FGC mostly takes place off the stream cameras.

Non-fans aren't gonna get some huge denoument to the situation, so it's pretty obnoxious to see these righteous calls for change and massive sweeps in commentary. There'll be some lingering stories-- I'm sure someone will find something to pin on a Final Round commentator, contestant, the crowd...hell, I wouldn't be surprised if a kotaku writer hung out in a stream chat for 5 minutes, then drafted a story about the depravity of stream monsters. But I imagine this will blow over pretty quickly.

This post is too real. +1 respect

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Fuck it, may as well send something in. That said, people want blood right now since it's a hot item. Sensationalism will always grab more interest than calm discussion. This thread's way too big to sort through but I'm sure that every positive thing existing within this community has already been twisted in to being viewed as a negative.
Give us some credit, no blindfolds here.

Point being, that kind of stuff, while great, is also what should be expected. What outsiders like myself want is an end of the vocally prevalent insular mentality, and a better reflection and representation of what goes on in the FGC (so if the sexism and offensive shit isn't a defining feature, stop showcasing it). Sp00ky's (no more mic for the offenders) and inkblot's (slightly harsh) changes work towards that.

rCIZZLE

I found the commentators last night incredibly boring. Some vulgar here and there doesn't bother me but the stream was a mess. David and James do an excellent job of combining entertaining and insightful commentary... they're pretty much the best we have.

We know why the NOS girls got their jobs however you can't have the guys connecting the event with the public speaking in such a way. Can you imagine the same for an athletic event?

Mr Jared

This is actually a very great point and something I've been wanting to write about for a while. Things are getting to the point where if you want to see the scene grow, everyone has to play their part, including the viewers. If you saw an amazing match, create a highlight and send it to the press, or put it on Facebook and share it with your friends. When you go out to buy new equipment, think of your favorite players. Are they sponsored? Support those sponsors and let them know. These companies are monitoring for these exact exchanges.

If you want to buy a new gaming headset and support someone like Gootecks or Combofiend, buy a Sound Blaster, then write them or tweet them and say, "These guys might not be your PC gamers, but they're the reason I bought Sound Blaster."

When you're done watching Final Round this weekend, reach out to external sponsors like NOS, GameStop and CheapyD. Thank them for supporting FGC events. Make them feel like their investment in a tournament was worth it. Doing so will help ensure that these sponsors, hopefully, stick around for the long haul and continue to support competitive gaming events.

These are just a few examples of what can be done as a spectator to help encourage positive growth. I'm sure others can run with it and find more ways to contribute, even when you can't attend an event or afford the latest game / hardware.

This is actually a very great point and something I've been wanting to write about for a while. Things are getting to the point where if you want to see the scene grow, everyone has to play their part, including the viewers. If you saw an amazing match, create a highlight and send it to the press, or put it on Facebook and share it with your friends. When you go out to buy new equipment, think of your favorite players. Are they sponsored? Support those sponsors and let them know. These companies are monitoring for these exact exchanges.

If you want to buy a new gaming headset and support someone like Gootecks or Combofiend, buy a Sound Blaster, then write them or tweet them and say, "These guys might not be your PC gamers, but they're the reason I bought Sound Blaster."

When you're done watching Final Round this weekend, reach out to external sponsors like NOS, GameStop and CheapyD. Thank them for supporting FGC events. Make them feel like their investment in a tournament was worth it. Doing so will help ensure that these sponsors, hopefully, stick around for the long haul and continue to support competitive gaming events.

These are just a few examples of what can be done as a spectator to help encourage positive growth. I'm sure others can run with it and find more ways to contribute, even when you can't attend an event or afford the latest game / hardware.

for the record, I just wanna say that I knew to donate and click ads before this post was made. but thanks, jared. Thanks a lot.

Guys, vulgar/sexist doesn't automatically mean entertaining.

You can be entertaining without all that extra juice. I guess we will find out who has the real commentary chops now? :)

We will be fine.

I was around before when there were no streams/commentaries. I was in the room at Cal Poly for the daigo parry.. Great, great memory. The match (and crowd) made that moment, not an announcer.

Things will still be hype. It's about the gameplay, remember that. There will still be shit talk and vulgar talking going on at the venue. It just won't be on the stream screen all the time, which I personally don't think is such a bad thing. If you want to experience that part of it, come on out to a gathering!

yeah, Evo is one part of the FGC. And Spooky is another part, LevelUp another-- that's my point. I keep seeing these calls for giving him consequences and other things that reflect a lot of misunderstandings about the "community" part of the FGC. It's pretty loose and easy going. If Miranda wants to sue Aris and Capcom to really lay the smackdown (which i'm sure the drama leeches and hit counters really want to see), that's her prerogative.

I think that the what SRK Illuminati did today is a pretty good example of the kinds of things that leaders in the community can do to censure folks in the community they believe are behaving badly.

Obviously they have no authority over Capcom and can't do much to individuals, but it's clear they do have some power over organizations that they affiliate themselves with.

I found the commentators last night incredibly boring. Some vulgar here and there doesn't bother me but the stream was a mess. David and James do an excellent job of combining entertaining and insightful commentary... they're pretty much the best we have.

We know why the NOS girls got their jobs however you can't have the guys connecting the event with the public speaking in such a way. Can you imagine the same for an athletic event?

I know what you mean, but it's wrong in the athletic events as well.

As I said, I don't promote their comments. But it seems extremely odd to me that people are just dancing around the fact that what the nos girls do is just as bad if not worse and wont be addressed.

I like James and David a lot, but they never bring the hype and excitement people like Yipes and Matrix do for me, neither of which are on blast here, but I worry they might be invited to commentate less due to this.

People like yipes are the heart and soul of the FGC.

As I said, I don't promote their comments. But it seems extremely odd to me that people are just dancing around the fact that what the nos girls do is just as bad if not worse and wont be addressed.

Huh? They are promoting a product through the use of their physical features, but I don't see how it's remotely the same as making light of a serous issue like sexual harassment.

James and David are good but we don't need them all the time, as for me I prefer Yipes and others with out them we would not have the chris g theme.

Top Bottom