• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cross The Line - Sexual Assault... ok, maybe just Sexual Harassment!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Stream commentary is soooo important, man.

All I really care about is pulling more people into attending real life events. I enjoy a lot of stream antics as much as the next guy, but if that has to be pushed aside then whatever.

Pretty much this, if I could go to the events I would. But most of the time I'm just watching the streams cause I want to see the fights. Hell honestly half the time I have it muted.

Tyree

Neo Member
I'm offend by the "Nigga Special".

Pretty much this, if I could go to the events I would. But most of the time I'm just watching the streams cause I want to see the fights. Hell honestly half the time I have it muted.

You are missing a lot of fun.

Hahahaha! Brutal logic.

Then explain this:

Really?

The problem here is using the term dwarf as a prerogative, not the person it was applied to.
And yet that doesn't negate the entire other points he, or others, were making, regardless of how much some of you wish it did.

Personally, I'd be calling this Aris fellow a lot more than dwarf if I had any kind of relationship with a female he harassed excessively.

I watch streams for the matches. Off color commentary is extra. If it just normal ultrachen commentary, I'm fine with that.

Yipes can be good PG.

Stream commentary is soooo important, man.

All I really care about is pulling more people into attending real life events. I enjoy a lot of stream antics as much as the next guy, but if that has to be pushed aside then whatever.

I don't see the antics changing, and it shouldn't have to. The swearing can stay, the blowups can stay, all of it. I don't see them having to tone it down at all. Obviously, they won't be joking about this sexual harassment situation and they will watch more of what they say, but the core of the FGC mentality (trash talking and overall competitiveness) will not and should not change.

Just so I'm not misunderstood:

By an opportunity to prove him wrong, I don't mean to say that the community is wrong or that Aris represent it by himself. SRK's sponsorship pull symbolizes real action to put that best face forward that's not being shown by the oft-villified media.

What Aris said is foolish. Trash talking is a part of the community and honestly, one part I don't want to change at all. But no one approves of sexual harassment. There is a difference between the two and I hope that everyone can recognize that.

Kikujiro

inkblot doing the job, and people were saying he was dodgin the issue. Crows served.

Yeah, I agree the punishment may be disproportionated (Level Up is one of the most professional stream out there and I don't think they deserve that), but I think inkblot wants to send a clear message, since some of the people in the community (like Marn) doesn't seem to understand the problem, at least now they do.

Quadratic

Really though, if someone swears on Spooky's stream this weekend does that mean Final Round doesn't get evo points, or pot bonuses?

That's a bit extreme. They can swear all they want. The point is not perpetuating this crazy drama fest any further. I'm curious what will be said this weekend on stream.

JudgeN

Imagine no more Rush Hour or Yipes and Chris Matrix. It's a damn shame it comes to this.

Yipes will probably be ok but he has used the word "bitch" many a times when talking about phoenix. I hate to say but Rush Hour would probably get the boot. If progress is really actually made i'm curious to see what happens to number of viewers & participant.

You are missing a lot of fun.

Maybe I should get that for dinner so damn good.

jbug617

Banned
Spooky does have the 18 and older disclaimer before you can enter his stream but I can totally see Chris Hu being banned from the mic because of the things he talks about. Actually viewers were down yesterday but don't know if that was due to AE2012 being the only game on stream.

Triphos

Neo Member
I think pulling the sponsorship from WNF is really excessive, especially considering WNF has banned the people responsible from being on mic and is changing up their process for letting anyone else talk on stream.

I understand that SRK needs to take a stand but this is just punishing everyone. With no EVO points available, bigger names aren't going to go to WNF anymore, causing fewer people to watch it, which is just a death spiral.

I recently stopped watching FGC streams because they were eating up too much time. But what is happening right now, wtf? Good thing I bailed out in time it seems. Kotaku, fuck off.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Then you enter a whole other grey area of whether Black people should use the N word or not, whether they should be okay with letting their non-Black friends use it, etc. Cause it was Aquasilk who brought that up first.

I don't want to see this fiasco go THAT way. That's ugly too.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I don't see the antics changing, and it shouldn't have to. The swearing can stay, the blowups can stay, all of it. I don't see them having to tone it down at all. Obviously, they won't be joking about this sexual harassment situation and they will watch more of what they say, but the core of the FGC mentality (trash talking and overall competitiveness) will not and should not change.
As someone mentioned earlier, Chris Hu is probably going to have to reign it in a little bit. You and I know he doesn't mean harm or anything, but...

Unfortunately, if some random game "journalist" who's a complete outsider to the scene decides something in the commentary is offensive to him, you won't see it anymore. How long until they ban sidebets, I wonder.

Just to clarify, I don't condone sexual harassment, but like I said, that issue was resolved all within the community. They didn't need Kotaku or Penny Arcade to give their sensationalist take on the matter in order to do something. And now they'll forever have to give answers to the mainstream internet media.

They will lose the rawness, you can be sure of that.

The reason the Aris thing came to the forefront in the first place is that someone was offended enough by what they saw to bring it to other people and get them to look into it.

When the community insists that something is handled and that it's an isolated incident, it's idiotic to play into the stereotypes that a negative article may foist upon the community.

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
I think pulling the sponsorship from WNF is really excessive, especially considering WNF has banned the people responsible from being on mic and is changing up their process for letting anyone else talk on stream.

I understand that SRK needs to take a stand but this is just punishing everyone. With no EVO points available, bigger names aren't going to go to WNF anymore, causing fewer people to watch it, which is just a death spiral.

Precisely, this isn't helping.

Spooky does have the 18 and older disclaimer before you can enter his stream but I can totally see Chris Hu being banned from the mic because of the things he talks about. Actually viewers were down yesterday but don't know if that was due to AE2012 being the only game on stream.

Well it wasnt on the teamspooky stream and most of the big players are on their way to Final Round, which probably accounts for most of it

Edit: ah you were talking about WNF? Probably that and the lack of a lot of big players..

Yipes will probably be ok but he has used the word "bitch" many a times when talking about phoenix. I hate to say but Rush Hour would probably get the boot. If progress is really actually made i'm curious to see what happens to number of viewers & participant.

Yea Yipes can make it but the others will have to put in some work (Rush Hour: their commentary on culture, Matrix: whenever Storm is on the team/in-play lol)

Beth Cyra

Chris and Aqua are the worst part of Spooky's stream to me.

However I really hope they don't get censored. Though a large portion of their jokes consist of them making racial sterotype jokes together and Chris hitting on/wanting 16 year olds.

That and he loved the number game. It will be interesting to see where this goes from here.

Threi

notag
Then you enter a whole other grey area of whether Black people should use the N word or not, whether they should be okay with letting their non-Black friends use it, etc. Cause it was Aquasilk who brought that up first.

I don't want to see this fiasco go THAT way. That's ugly too.

I doubt any of the mainstream press would give two hoots about an issue like that.

Yea Yipes can make it but the others will have to put in some work (Rush Hour with their commentary on culture, Matrix whenever Storm is on the team/in-play lol)

Yeah, Matrix is creepy when Storm gets on the screen, but I'm imagining he can keep it pretty PG otherwise.

I don't remember anything Steve said being offensive either. More Steve = win.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I think I echo everyone else here when I say that people better not #cross any lines at Final Round this weekend, or else god knows what will happen. The media will definitely be watching. And if not watching, picking up trinkets of information from periphery sources like GAF and Twitter.

Beth Cyra

Yeah, Matrix is creepy when Storm gets on the screen, but I'm imagining he can keep it pretty PG otherwise.

A bt to excited maybe, but Creepy? Really? Matrix loves the character and seeing her played well. I think creepy is a bit much with Matrix and Storm.

I think I echo everyone else here when I say that people better not #cross any lines at Final Round this weekend, or else god knows what will happen. The media will definitely be watching. And if not watching, picking up trinkets of information from periphery sources like GAF and Twitter.

Shinblanka should fight a dude on the air~!

broz0rs

man this community is completely losing its balls.

that kotaku hack must be ecstatic and jumping on his chair that he generated such a massive response.

sleepykyo

Pretty sure plenty of the WNF regulars are just going there for a good time and have been going there before WNF became part of the Evo circuit. The big names don't normally show up on WNF anyway unless a major is coming up.

Azure J

Matrix's Storm love comes off as campy more than creepy to me, but otherwise agreed. Also MMSteve is awesome. Steve + Yipes is only a notch under Matrix & Yipes imo.

A bt to excited maybe, but Creepy? Really? Matrix loves the character and seeing her played well. I think creepy is a bit much with Matrix and Storm.

Well, perhaps creepy is the wrong word. But the way he talks about Storm when she gets on screen that is a bit....excessive, I guess.

jbug617

Banned

Final Round should be alright with James Chen, Ultra David and Skisonic being there. At the same time all those guys compete in games and it would be unfair to them having to do commentary all the time because they paid their own way out there and they are not paid for commentary.

Final Round should be alright with James Chen, Ultra David and Skisonic being there. At the same time all those guys compete in games and it would be unfair to them having to do commentary all the time because they paid their own way out there and they are not paid for commentary.

Just don't let Ski near the NOS girls or we're going to have another unflattering grope pic.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I don't see how Matrix does anything even remotely wrong. He is as postive as you can be and just really hype.

He does nothing wrong, it's just the same way when a girl talks a ton about a male character they really like. xD it comes off as creepy/obsessive in a way.

Just don't let Ski near the NOS girls or we're going to have another unflattering grope pic.

Uh oh don't let the media know about that.

Chavelo

With no EVO points available, bigger names aren't going to go to WNF anymore, causing fewer people to watch it, which is just a death spiral.

:lol

EVO points were just started to be given out on WNF this season, and they had a good amount of great players and watchers checking out before that.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Pretty sure plenty of the WNF regulars are just going there for a good time and have been going there before WNF became part of the Evo circuit. The big names don't normally show up on WNF anyway unless a major is coming up.
Yeah I don't understand the fear that all of a sudden people will stop going to WNF. Lack of seed points didn't stop people before, and WNF still had some of the biggest, if not the biggest turnout of any weekly.

The withdrawal of sponsorship, thats a touchier subject though. I do agree taking money out of the community is inverse progress though, even if it does set a precedent. I just hope SRK does something else with that money instead of just sitting on it to show that a punishment has been made.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Yeah I don't understand the fear that all of a sudden people will stop going to WNF. Lack of seed points didn't stop people before, and WNF still had some of the biggest, if not the biggest turnout of any weekly.

The withdrawal of sponsorship, thats a touchier subject though. I do agree taking money out of the community is inverse progress though, even if it does set a precedent. I just hope SRK does something else with that money instead of just sitting on it to show that a punishment has been made.

The money will be used for contest for the wonderful nice people that post on the forums at SRK....Kappa

Cross Assault as a whole just shouldn't have happened imo. People outside the FGC (I hate the term but hey, what can I do) shouldn't have a say regarding what's going on within it.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I thought the whole sponsorship thing was also implied as a season/timed repercussion? I'm sure everything will be assessed as the community cleans up.

Top Bottom