• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dan Hsu leaves 1up

adg1034

BAIL OUT
BAIL OUT
BAIL OUT
BAIL OUT
BAIL OUT
BAIL OUT
BAIL OUT
BAIL OUT
BAIL OUT
BAIL OUT
BAIL OUT
BAIL OUT
BAIL OUT
BAIL OUT
BAIL OUT
BAIL OUT
BAIL OUT
BAIL OUT
BAIL OUT
BAIL OUT
BAIL OUT
BAIL OUT
BAIL OUT
BAIL OUT
BAIL OUT
BAIL OUT
BAIL OUT
BAIL OUT
BAIL OUT
BAIL OUT
BAIL OUT
BAIL OUT
BAIL OUT
BAIL OUT
BAIL OUT
BAIL OUT
BAIL OUT
BAIL OUT
BAIL OUT

Seriously, though, what do all these exodi mean for 1UP Editorial? Is the ship really sinking this badly?

I believe Shoe when he says this has nothing to do with the GFW consolidation, but I can't believe it doesn't have something to do with general ZD problems.

Regardless, I think 1UP is losing someone that helped make it great, and I'm really going to miss the level of class he brought to everything he was involved with.

Nif

scoobs said:
Glad to hear Hsu is gone, always thought it was a bad thing for 1UP to have a halo nut running the office.

Really? Liking a videogame should disqualify him from running a videogame magazine? Really?

Sucks that so many people are leaving 1up. Good luck to you, Shoe.

Struct09

Hsu was a great editor with some real integrity, I wish him the best.

Even if all he wants to do is get more achievements

traveler

Not Wario
Best of luck, Shoe. Thanks for the decade of contributions you gave us; I've really enjoyed the mag throughout your time there and can only hope I'll continue to under this new leadership.

Speaking of which, best of luck to Sam as well. While I haven't really heard a lot from him, the stuff I have heard, read, and seen seems pretty encouraging. (I know he gets flack here for being a Sony fanboy, but I can't say I've ever really seen his opinions as anything less than fair.)

I AM JOHN! said:
(oh wait, wasn't EGM constantly called out last generation for being completely pro-Sony?)

Don't let that hide in your comments; some of these idiots need to be called out for this utter shit.

dai said:
dude, you're just as fucking pathetic as the people you're "arguing" with.

You know what? I agree with him; I'm really tired of having to hide behind civility while the blatantly obvious fanboys of this forum parade about with their usual douchebaggery. It's absolutely ridiculous.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
I AM JOHN! said:
1. Which Killzone was this? Since the first two are pieces of shit, and I don't remember him saying that Killzone 2 had bad graphics.

2. He never said that.

3. God forbid someone really like Halo and achievements. God for-fucking-bid. Perhaps we should hate Giant Bomb because Jeff Gertsmann and Ryan Davis are huge achievement whores, too. Or is it just that you hate him because he's more vocal about his Halo love than other games (aside from Advance Wars), because that OBVIOUSLY MEANS THAT HE'S A MICROSOFT FANBOY OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (oh wait, wasn't EGM constantly called out last generation for being completely pro-Sony?)

So I noticed, you pathetic fucking fanboy. How about instead of justifying why you're being a cunt, why don't you just stop being a cunt?
What is with you? Do you have turets or does shit always flow out of your mouth? Am I insulting Dan or you? No.. All I said was that I agree he shouldnt be running 1up. Seriously you need to settle the fck down.

1. KZ2, in a 1up yours podcast. plus some of it at EGM
2. yeah he was
3. I dont mind people liking something but when you are one sided then you should not be a critic for that medium. relax is nothing bad
4. if you look at our post, you will see u are being the cunt here not me

Anyway good luck to him, I'm sure he will be still be exposed to us where ever he goes

traveler

Not Wario
PistolGrip said:
3. I dont mind people liking something but when you only seem to like things on my side then you should not be a critic for that medium. If a movie critic finds all Universal Studios movies as 5/5 and Columbia pictures 2/5 then why would you take him seriously on movies?

Do elaborate.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
eatyobeans said:
Is Ziff Davis dead yet?

I know SOME people are eagerly waiting for Ziff Davis to be dead and buried, but honestly, their lack of presence will be dramatic and profound.

Sure, something will pop up in place, but they are one of the last BIG game groups.

Wizman23

Banned
beelzebozo said:
i wish i could gather 60% of the people in here and collectively punch them in the face.

I think it's more like about 85%...the latest Too Human thread really made me realize how bad this place has become.

stotch

Banned
PistolGrip said:
What is with you, do you have turets or does shit always flow out of your mouth? Am I insulting Dan or you? No.. All I said was that I agree he shouldnt be the running 1up. Seriously you need to settle the fck down.

1. KZ2 in a 1up yours podcast. plus some of it at EGM
2. yeah he was
3. I dont mind people liking something but when you only seem to like things on my side then you should not be a critic for that medium. If a movie critic finds all Universal Studios movies as 5/5 and Columbia pictures 2/5 then why would you take him seriously on movies?
4. if you look at our post you will see u are being the cunt

Halo 4 isn't coming out til the 720 amirite? And Shoe wasn't going to get to review his second favorite game, 360/PC Splinter Cell conviction cos he repeatedly called out Ubisoft on their PR practices. Edit: So why are you still bringing this stuff up about Shoe on the day he leaves 1up?

Ten-Song

traveler said:
You know what? I agree with him; I'm really tired of having to hide behind civility while the blatantly obvious fanboys of this forum parade about with their usual douchebaggery. It's absolutely ridiculous.

Yes, they are annoying little pricks, but at the same time, I'd rather keep a civil tone, than devolve into the same kind of GameFAQs like posts that they throw about.

Also, this news really sucks. I've been reading EGM for years, and Shoe's really done a bang up job with it all these years.

PistolGrip said:
What is with you, do you have turets or does shit always flow out of your mouth? Am I insulting Dan or you? No.. All I said was that I agree he shouldnt be the running 1up. Seriously you need to settle the fck down.

1. KZ2 in a 1up yours podcast. plus some of it at EGM
2. yeah he was
3. I dont mind people liking something but when you only seem to like things on one side then you should not be a critic for that medium. relax is nothing bad
4. if you look at our post you will see u are being the cunt

Anyway good luck to him, I'm sure he will be still be exposed to us wheever he goes
Is English your first language?

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
stotch said:
Halo 4 isn't coming out til the 720 amirite? And Shoe wasn't going to get to review his second favorite game, 360/PC Splinter Cell conviction cos he repeatedly called out Ubisoft on their PR practices. So why are you calling bringing this stuff up about Shoe on the day he leaves 1up?
Srry I am not, "I AM JOHN" is forcing this with his insults and asking for reasons for my simply agreeing with someone else that it may not be bad for EGM as a whole.

Assaulted Nuts said:
Is English your first language?
no, its spanish and portuguese actually but thanks. guessing from your previous posts, I assume the same of you.

This is good news. Now they need to slowly weed out all the other jokers. I could care less about dude's journalistic integrity when his direction always resulted in one issue of 'amateur assclowns make opinion' after another. Hire people who are capable of taking the medium seriously zd,

PistolGrip said:
Srry I am not, "I AM JOHN" is forcing this with his insults and asking for reasons for my simply agreeing with someone else that it may not be bad for EGM as a whole.

no, its spanish and portuguese
Sorry dude, no one is "forcing" anything.

And you're free to have your opinion, it's just there are much, much, MUCH, better ways to go about expressing it than what has so far been displayed in this thread

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
For old times' sake:

shoe.jpg

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Assaulted Nuts said:
Sorry dude, no one is "forcing" anything.

And you're free to have your opinion, it's just there are much, much, MUCH, better ways to go about expressing it than what has so far been displayed in this thread
He is asking me why the topic was brought up. I didnt bring it up, it was I AM JOHN.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
PistolGrip said:
What do you expect from some of us? this man put down Little Big Planet, said killzone was buggy and bad graphically, said PSN would never amount to anything, , puts achievements and MS products on a pedestal.

So what you're saying is that you and your ilk are getting some final revenge trolls in?

I never was a fan of Hsu either, but I wish him the best.

mosaic

go eat paint
Damn, now this is a megaton.

Some thoughts...

... Good luck, Dan; we only ever interacted very briefly on IRC, but I have to give you super-props for helping to re-mold EGM and for giving it CPR in an age when the Internet rules (all while remaining down-to-Earth).

... Did Ziff-Davis hire Josh Larson or something?

... In any case, I've got $5 that says Shoe won't be the last recognizable name to "bail out"...

sajj316

BenjaminBirdie said:
Newsflash, any EIC of a gaming magazine is going to be a die hard fan of some game, I would fucking hope.

Actually, I disagree. I think the editor and chief of a gaming magazine should keep it on a business level. If you love Halo, make sure no-one knows.

dacuk

Nif said:
Really? Worshipping a videogame should disqualify him from running a videogame magazine? Really?

Sucks that so many people are leaving 1up. Good luck to you, Shoe.

See, I fix your post.
EGM was better before Hsu, and now it will be.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Maybe it's just that with podcasts and whatever, the faces have become known and people think it's important now...
But, I mean, if you look at an EGM from 5 years ago, more than half the people who worked on that mag are gone. Even people who work in the press seem to concede that their jobs are not lifelong careers, but for many of them are just jumping pads to PR or development or "community manager" jobs.
I have a feeling that this will end up being an overreaction on both ends.

Either way, good luck to you Shoe, whereever you end up.

keanerie

Sad to see him go. Well, I'm always sad to see anyone from the halcyon days of EGM go...I guess I'm just a sentimental guy. Best of luck in your future endeavors, you had the gumption to make EGM a worthwhile publication.

And jeeze, what is with this thread...this is almost worse than the "Jane Pinckard Leaves 1UP" one.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
I thought print magazines had a least another 10 years to go but Ziff seems all out of steam as of late.

SnowWolf said:
So what you're saying is that you and your ilk are getting some final revenge trolls in?

I never was a fan of Hsu either, but I wish him the best.
Yes because all the sony fans are wishing him death /sarcasm

I think 99% of the thread agrees with wishing him the best, u guys need to quit twisting peoples words for your own agenda.

Top Bottom