• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny Trailer, Gameplay Will Be Shown For The First Time At The PS4 E3 Conference

i-Lo

So on the US PS blog, the story of the gameplay being revealed during E3 2013 was posted and in the comment section, a member of Bungie's community team, DeeJ, was replying to certain comments. As such I chimed in and got an interesting response:

i-Lo said:
I know cutting edge graphics have neither been their focus, nor their forte. That said, after looking at the CG, I do hope (after Bungie have fine tuned all story, gameplay, interactive elements) we get close to it in real time on PS4.
Good luck, Bungie.

DeeJ said:
You’ll have to be the judge of that. The new tools that we’re using to build this brave new world let our artists do some pretty amazing things. As a long-time Halo fanboy, I’m really excited about the things I’m seeing in Destiny – even at this stage of development.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
iOvqrI8uPXYLn.gif

Well that's one way to get the message out. Come see Destiny on PS4 first. Not stopping at any chance to bring in more games and to emphatically state that case. I like it.

If you actually play Killzone you'll see it sets itself miles apart with gameplay mechanics alone. Neither Cod or BF can even compare. It does need better story though, although honestly they all do. Its also unique in being sci fi. also, over 2 million copies in sales, its not going anywhere thankfully.

Series have been canned for selling 3 million opening month this gen.

It's not getting better.

Echo Six

Neo Member
Not quite sure why some people feel so strongly about CGI trailers, they're just trying to grab a wider audience for the actual gameplay reveal at E3. And imho these trailers are a more entertaining use of those bloated advertising budgets. Anyway I thought it was neat. Marty still has the magic evidently. Also I hope those gun sounds are indicative of the real game, especially the machine gun. Sounds much meatier than the Halo guns which always sounded a bit weak to me.

the irony of his game being shown as cgi first must be lost on him.

LOL

Series have been canned for selling 3 million opening month this gen.

It's not getting better.

well I hope KZ is here to stay. For me its honestly leagues beyond other FPS's, although I do enjoy the others. The sense of realistic movement and weapons/animations, combined with the cover mechanics make it just sublime to play. Adding the slide mechanic in KZ3, which can automatically press you into cover was godly. And that new futuristic weapon in Shadow Fall looks insane, in form and function.

Perhaps they should put more money into marketing it.

=======================================

anyways, getting off topic.

For Destiny, I don't think gameplay will be a problem. But I do want details on exactly what type of game this is.

Mix

Destiny has so much potential it's not even funny. I have such high hopes, please, dear beloved bungie, don't mess this one up.

MS paying for COD exclusives, Sony paying for Destiny exclusives.

Acti laughing all the way to the bank.

Kinda a good thing to do though i guess - gets the Halo fans watching the Sony conference.

Who says they paid for the Destiny exclusives? The Bungie guys seemed like they were eager to stick it to M$ so maybe it was free.

Roche

Game looks really very good, Bungie have often proved themselves ambitious (Often times to a fault) I hope this turns out well.

So it seems like PS4 is being set up as the preferred platform for this title? I'm gonna assume it will be the lead platform/better optimized and have exclusive content?

Woorloog

Banned
So it seems like PS4 is being set up as the preferred platform for this title? I'm gonna assume it will be the lead platform/better optimized and have exclusive content?

Dunno. But i really, really hope Bungie takes the advantage of PS4's more powerful hardware.
It is not nice when third parties cater to lowest common denominator.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Yes... Star Wars is the closest example of "Mythic Science-fiction" (as Bungie calls Destiny's genre) there is.

But fresh. Star Wars is good but it does feel... ancient, you know?

star wars is retro sci-fi, which is a lot of its appeal (and the reason the new ones have lost some of their magic IMO). but this is fresh and new. same OG star wars feel

Woorloog

Banned
star wars is retro sci-fi, which is a lot of its appeal (and the reason the new ones have lost some of their magic IMO). but this is fresh and new. same OG star wars feel

Retro? Nah. It is epic space opera, or more specifically, space fantasy, which is why "mythic science fiction" could describe it well.
Retro-SF is when you read Foundation or some Heinlein's works (though they're arguably often hard-scifi as well).
Sorry if this feels nitpicking.

Regardless, this does have the magic of new for now... hopefully Bungie can keep that up.

DAY.F***IN.ONE!

It's Bungie. I don't need to know anything else or see anything else. And yes... I will get it for PS4!

Edit:
Who is Gus? And why is he so popular/important?

Nonentity

I feel like I'm at the "old dog new tricks" phase where I just am never going to get as good with controller as I am with keyboard and mouse.

I don't even really care if it only comes out on consoles (though I want a PC version), but I just want keyboard and mouse support.

That's a question I should ask at E3. Hm.

Iacobellis

MS paying for COD exclusives, Sony paying for Destiny exclusives.

Acti laughing all the way to the bank.

Kinda a good thing to do though i guess - gets the Halo fans watching the Sony conference.

It's gonna turn into a smart move. I can't see CoD remaining popular for another generation.

I wish this would have been revealed at Activision's press event. I don't want too much time going to FPS games. Especially cross gen ones. we already have a surfeit of FPSes

Qvoth

surprised they never showed x1 logo at the end of the trailer
thought it's ps4 exclusive for a minute

oh yeah and the game made me think of borderlands for some reason
i guess it's all the co-op thing from the trailer

grumble

well I hope KZ is here to stay. For me its honestly leagues beyond other FPS's, although I do enjoy the others. The sense of realistic movement and weapons/animations, combined with the cover mechanics make it just sublime to play. Adding the slide mechanic in KZ3, which can automatically press you into cover was godly. And that new futuristic weapon in Shadow Fall looks insane, in form and function.

Perhaps they should put more money into marketing it.

It's not just the marketing though... there's something just not QUITE there about killzone. It might be the abysmal story or a number of weak single player moments, or maybe the art style isn't quite mainstream enough, can't put my finger on it. It just is missing that little something that makes it a smash hit like gears, halo, CoD, Battlefield, whatever.

Mix

The pure lore of this game is going to be phenomenal. I cannot wait to see what kind of stories this universe spins just by it's very nature.
We've had games where you're the main character, but not as centered around you as this is going to be.

It's not just the marketing though... there's something just not QUITE there about killzone. It might be the abysmal story or a number of weak single player moments, or maybe the art style isn't quite mainstream enough, can't put my finger on it. It just is missing that little something that makes it a smash hit like gears, halo, CoD, Battlefield, whatever.

yeah i bet its just marketing. the games play superbly.

Top Bottom