• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth NA Release Date Announced [Feb 2nd 2016]

Yeah, there are no large, wide-open places like you might find in a console rpg. They do a good job giving you a variety of places to go, so even though each area is relatively small, it doesn't feel "confining".

Dungeons can get pretty large towards the end, but that's more "length" than "area".

I guess that is OK. So long as it is more sophisticated than Pokémon.

I guess that is OK. So long as it is more sophisticated than Pokémon.

The best comparison is Persona. You select an area to go to on the map, like a district in Tokyo, and then you can walk around in said district, with a fixed camera. Outside of that, you'll be walking around Dungeons in cyberspace.

Now that I think about it, it's almost structured exactly like Persona, as far as exploration goes. Does that help?

Sandfox

The best comparison is Persona. You select an area to go to on the map, like a district in Tokyo, and then you can walk around in said district, with a fixed camera. Outside of that, you'll be walking around Dungeons in cyberspace.

Now that I think about it, it's almost structured exactly like Persona, as far as exploration goes. Does that help?

If anything I would compare the Digimon Story games to SMT.

If anything I would compare the Digimon Story games to SMT.

Yeah, pretty much the same formula. So, in regards to being more sophisticated than Pokemon, I'm not really sure how to answer that question. What would 'more sophisticated than Pokemon' entail, Muffins?

Shizuka

Play-Asia is still taking pre-orders for the physical Vita version, here's the asian cover for the game:

80qErKp.jpg

More stats/abilities mainly was what I wanted to hear. I want more ways to strategize.

As far as abilities etc go, I didn't find the game to have more depth than Pokemon when you consider how outrageously deep the Pokemon meta game is.

However, there is depth there. Especially in raising your Digimon. You'll be doing a hell of a lot of evolving, de-evolving, hatching and training at the Digimon Farm to fine tune your Digimon's stats so it goes down a certain evolution path, for example.

sensui-tomo

Is it bad i'm considering double dipping if only to help increase the chances of the Digimon World sequel to come out over here (that ps vita game New order or something)?

More stats/abilities mainly was what I wanted to hear. I want more ways to strategize.
I'm not sure that you're asking the right questions here, since Pokemon is absurdly deep as a multiplayer game.

It's not as deceptively simple as pokemon, and is otherwise much more similar to Shin Megami Tensei as far as I can tell.

I don't think it can't really be compared directly to Pokemon.

sensui-tomo

No, you are very great

i'd rather have that psp/3ds game and the digimon sequel over this to be honest, gotta hope that some group decides to translate the 3ds game (i dont want to get the psp game but if all else fails, it'll be an easy import and will have to actually use ppsspp)

Kinsei

Banned
Is it bad i'm considering double dipping if only to help increase the chances of the Digimon World sequel to come out over here (that ps vita game New order or something)?

I'd double dip (Vita + PS4) if I could. I really want more Digimon games to be localized.

Maligna

Banned
Want to get this for Vita to support it... But the PS4 probably looks and plays better and I can just Remote Play to my Vita. Agh. Decisions....

I'm not sure that you're asking the right questions here, since Pokemon is absurdly deep as a multiplayer game.

It's not as deceptively simple as pokemon, and is otherwise much more similar to Shin Megami Tensei as far as I can tell.

I don't think it can't really be compared directly to Pokemon.

To be fair, I only play single player Pokémon. I don't play multiplayer at all.

Sandfox

ay man, you never know. i bet a good amount of people thought until dawn wouldn't chart either yeah? either way though I hope it'll still be a success.
you think the vita version will sell better?

The Vita version is DL only so the chances of it charting are high.

krumble

Quote from the latest trailer on PlayStation YouTube

"A harmless on line chat with friends led to a chance encounter with a cyber-stranger for one average teenager..."

Does anyone proof read how creepy that sounds these days?

"A harmless on line chat with friends led to a chance encounter with a cyber-stranger for one average teenager..."

It's only creepy if you make it so. That's really your problem lol

Doesn't sound creepy to me.

pikablu

pre-ordered from gamestop. this year is really weird. I haven't preordered a game since pokemon omega rubyand this year i've already preordered ff explorers and this. XD

This has me incredibly interested in the game and I've never played anything from this series... It looks great visually. May be worth checking out to hold me over until P5...

...all of my want.

This has me incredibly interested in the game and I've never played anything from this series... It looks great visually. May be worth checking out to hold me over until P5...

...all of my want.

It's a great game! Kind of ashamed I stopped playing it around the 34 hour mark. Will rectify that with the localisation though. But yeah, I think the way Persona games are structured is the closest 1:1 comparison, just without the social links.

Story is really good and there's a surprising amount of depth involved in raising your Digimon and leading it down the desired evolution branch.

I'm thinking about double dipping... Is the game cross save? I don't think I've seen information about it anywhere.

It is, supposedly.

It's a great game! Kind of ashamed I stopped playing it around the 34 hour mark. Will rectify that with the localisation though. But yeah, I think the way Persona games are structured is the closest 1:1 comparison, just without the social links.

Story is really good and there's a surprising amount of depth involved in raising your Digimon and leading it down the desired evolution branch.

It is, supposedly.

How many ways can you evolve a Digimon? Are they highly malleable?

How many ways can you evolve a Digimon? Are they highly malleable?

Have you seen the evolution tree of a Digimon?

In Pokemon you have stage 1 -> stage 2 -> stage 3 in very linear fashion (with only a few exceptions)

In Digimon each new evolution have many separate branches, and they can even cross over with each other and share branches. Not to mention different Colours and modes.

aitakute

Here're some interesting infos
Habu also pointed out that Digimon has become progressively more successful as a result of Digimon World Re:Digitize on the PlayStation Portable and Digimon Collectors on mobile phones shifting its age demographic higher. Implicitly, Habu is referring to the franchise's failure to appeal to children during the Xros Wars era--a time which proved devastating for the brand, in which less than 1% of all Japanese households were watching the TV anime, and initially strong toy sales ultimately petered into losses for Bandai.

Once again, Habu emphasized that there were originally no plans to release Cyber Sleuth overseas at the time of its original development. The producer attributed the game's international launch--as he has many times in the past--to the Operation Decode fan petition. As for whether future Digimon titles will see localization, he stated "If this title becomes a success, we can hopefully consider a worldwide, simultaneous launch for the next title. [...] It will all depend on [Cyber Sleuth's] success for the future."
Source

ReaperXL7

Here're some interesting infos

Source

I'd be very curious to know what they are looking at in order to be considered a success. I think this game looks really cool, and I'm hoping that it being brought over on PS4 as well will help it overall but I still don't see it doing gangbusters.

I'm hoping their expectations are not unrealistic

Top Bottom