• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor lampooned in "Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt" found dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://uproxx.com/tv/2015/04/unbreakable-kimmy-schmidt-is-being-blamed-for-the-death-of-a-doctor/

Martin Short’s plastic surgeon character on Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, Tina Fey’s new Netflix series, is hard to look at for too long. His face is swollen, his posture is reminiscent of Igor from Young Frankenstein, and his skin color is not so much tan as it is microwave-burned. Dr. Franff seems like a wholly original creation, but he actually looks a lot like famed celebrity dermatologist Dr. Fredric Brandt, who was found dead at his home on Sunday, and some are blaming Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.

Brandt’s publicist said in a statement, “He passed away this morning. He was suffering from an illness,” but sources reveal that the similarities between him and Dr. Franff “devastated” him.

screen-shot-2015-04-06-at-7-55-16-am.png

That's unfortunate...

Vashetti

Banned
As I said in the Kimmy OT, very depressing.

I hope the writers didn't intentionally base it on this guy, but the similarities are so blatant...

Fury451

Banned
Are they implying it was a suicide due to the show? Or that being upset over that depiction worsened his health or mental health?

Very tragic, and it's fairly obvious who that is based on, but parody and satire and all that is protected. Sad news regardless.

border

I thought it was a pretty awful and unfunny character that made the show feel that much more disconnected from any kind of reality. I didn't realize the Dr. Franff was also quite a mean-spirited cariacature.

At least this means he will probably never be brought back onto the show.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
That's unfortunate but I think "blamed" is a strong word. It was a simple lampoon.

Busty

Banned
yeah you can't blame the show for that shit, nice try media. But sad story nonetheless

This.

I'm sure that it didn't help but to say that Netflix is somehow responsible for this man's death is ludicrous.

A sad story that is seems to be taking a strange spin.

Neverfade

These events aside, why in the world would you go to a dermatologist who has utterly fucked their skin in such a manner?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Unfortunate for sure, RIP to the guy.

That said, the show is parody. If someone committed suicide because of SNL making fun of them on Weekend Update, or on a skit, would we blame that show too? Where does the line get drawn?

coleco

Unfortunate situation all around. They say the show wasn't the cause of suicide but it probably didn't make him any good in his state of mind, but how could the writers know.

Wow, I thought it was some crazy over the top creation. Out of all the characters in that show he was oddest.

hmm..... is there some real life version of Leo Spacemen out there? God help his patients.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I really don't like Martin Short in basically anything and this was no exception.

Sad about this guy's mental illness and obvious addiction to altering his appearance. I guess I'm conflicted about whether Tina Fey is the real "mean girl" in this situation. I'm sure that guy had what seemed like good reasons to him for doing whatever he was doing in his life, and being lampooned for that probably seems unfair from his perspective. From an outside perspective, though, it can be pretty hard to sympathize with people so lacking in self-awareness, and if he hadn't died I don't think many people would be thinking twice about making fun of his (self-inflicted) appearance.

pj

Banned
How do you know this dude wasn't a dickhead who tried to convince people to get expensive, possibly dangerous procedures done that they didn't need and probably ended up making them look worse?

Most people have never heard of this guy so for him to even be in the show I would expect that someone involved had first or second hand experience with him.

The knee jerk shaming of UKS is pretty silly

To say that he killed himself over this (or partially) is not that far reaching in my opinion.

This guy probably did alter his face because he was an already self-conscious man. I'm speculating but Kimmy Schmidt could have made it an easier decision for him to take his own life.

But really that is just one thing. Society as a whole has failed him. We need to stop pushing superficiality, and stop making fun of people who have done no wrong. I don't know Fredric Brandt but unless he said something clearly wrong/stupid I don't think that kind of parody of someone is right. It's a fine line though comedy. People will disagree with me, but I think satire should be targeting people who have done/said things that are clearly wrong or idiotic.

Of course I could be wrong myself and Dr Brandt may have been someone who was unlikable (like I said I don't know of him) or idiotic in his public opinions like.

Nonetheless I think it is a good rule of thumb to stick by. I don't blame the creators of Kimmy Schmidt (it's still a great show) so much as I simply want to heed a warning to all creative's to tread carefully when dealing with real people who have real feelings.

I'll never get why it's not considered tasteless and disgusting to meddle in the private affairs of public figures who commit suicide. Guess in the end those clicks and manufactured controversies are more important than the privacy of the family.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom