• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM 4 Leaks [Update 3: 170 New Leaked Images]

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
CpEG6.jpg

Little bit of Kevin Spacey?

Doom 4: modern warfare. Where are the demons!!!!!

Mass Warfare 4
sigh. obviously because these screens don't show enemies, the game doesn't have any enemies at all. they aren't just shots of the wip levels.

If it looks like that they should just start over and make a lower budget brutal doom style game designed around mouse and keyboard.
why? Doom 1 and Doom 2 weren't designed around mouse and keyboard and it seems like from this thread, Doom 4 isn't allowed to be a modern take on Doom 2's story, it has to be beholden to the same technical limitations that Doom 2 was stuck with. so it should be designed around the keyboard and 320 x 240.

are all the people bitching about how it looks like Rage forgetting how much of Rage was sweet shooting in corridors?

SO MANY POSERS IN THIS THREAD

It's easy to tell who actually played DOOM and DOOM 2 to completion, and who cheated their ways around the game; and who hasnt even played them.

Doom II has a 2 cutscenes with text telling you whats going on in the game (I believe the first one is before Level 10 when you fight the gang of mancubus + cyber spiders in a small arena), and it explains that you managed to clear up the spaceport, allowing humans to escape, but that the monsters have spread deeper into the cities.

Those first 10 levels are all sets in small factories, industrial type places,Then the 10 next levels or do are all sets in big open areas, outside, because you are hunting down the demons. Then you get another wall of text explaining something about how Hell has started to convert Earth and that you go jump deep into it to destroy the source of all evil. The next 10 levels are all hell themed, with bodies everywhere, lava, more and more demonic imagery..

Even the names of the stages makes it obvious:

Doom 3 is a retelling of the original planned storyline of Doom1; it followed the original design document, you can even find them online.

YUP. If someone didn't know Doom 2 took place on Earth, they have ZERO business commenting on what Doom 4 "should" look like.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I can't quite understand why some fences and other stuff like that were made in Zbrush too (at least it looks like it was made in zbrush). Can you simplify models with one-click in zbrush and import them into the game? I don't think so. It seems to be a huge waste of time and resources if what I described is the case.

Metal-Geo

are all the people bitching about how it looks like Rage forgetting how much of Rage was sweet shooting in corridors?
Would Jackal Canyon fall under corridors? Because that was definitely the pinacle of the game. So goooood.

I can't quite understand why some fences and other stuff like that was made in Zbrush too (at least it looks like it was made in zbrush). Can you simplify models with one-click in zbrush and import them into the game? I don't think so. It seems to be a huge waste of time and resources if what I described is the case.
I believe you're able to convert details into textures (normal maps?) with Z-brush.

DaBuddaDa

Todd Hollenshead on Twitter said:
Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see - Benjamin Franklin

None of what you hear = the game isn't cancelled.

Half of what you see = these are old or currently unused assets.

PnCIa

Seriously, this is something that would normally happen when a company gets closed. I cant loose the feeling that something is foul there, i mean where are Bethesdas lawyers who want those taken down?

daedalius

The environment shots are probably early assets with stock textures; I'm sure they would be massively refined by the time the game came out.

However, besides the hell tornado, areas need to look more hellish/burny imo.

Characters look neat, wish there were some demons in there though ;)

Metal-Geo

In the 170 image leak, there's an image named 'augustusingame.jpg'. In there you'll see bit of the user's taskbar with a bar saying "W:\DOOM4...". So I guess that's pretty much a solid confirmation. :p

Edit: Oh who cares at this point

msv

shot00046, 7 and 8, it's a hub :( Seems like they really think they have a style of gameplay with Doom3/Q4/Rage. In reality, it's just a mess that wants to be (make money) like military shooters. I've been with/pro ID for a long long time, but if Doom4 really turns out to go more in the direction of Rage and military shooters than back in the direction of DoomI/II & Quake I, then they've lost everything that made them great. There's just nothing left of what made DoomI/II & Q1/2/3 fun. The only thing they have left is a nice engine, which doesn't stand out nearly as much as it used to.

StuBurns

Banned
Having looked at the big leak, I really love the look of the game. I know it's not very Doomy, but that's good, those games have horrible art. This looks like City 17, day one.

Santar

I just can't get excited about any of these screens.
I think it'd be more interesting if they went back to a more basic Doom 1\2 open ended brutal gameplay style. Exploring open levels at your own pace, satisfying bloody combat. Distinctive enemies.
Maybe as a digital release.

shot00046, 7 and 8, it's a hub :( Seems like they really think they have a style of gameplay with Doom3/Q4/Rage. In reality, it's just a mess that wants to be (make money) like military shooters. I've been with/pro ID for a long long time, but if Doom4 really turns out to go more in the direction of Rage and military shooters than back in the direction of DoomI/II & Quake I, then they've lost everything that made them great. There's just nothing left of what made DoomI/II & Q1/2/3 fun. The only thing they have left is a nice engine, which doesn't stand out nearly as much as it used to.

yeah other than awesome gun play, great weapons, cool secrets and AI that's fun to fight against, Rage is nothing like id's older games and is exactly like COD.

i don't understand this thread at all.

http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/MAP13:_Downtown_(Doom_II)

tell me skeptics, what does THAT look like to you?

you didn't get past level 11 in Doom 2: HELL ON FREAKING EARTH did you?

peakish

Jumping to conclusions all up in this.

Do you really think so? It doesn't look that way from where I'm standing.

I think most commenters are puerile, belligerent and utterly oblivious. Fankly it's goddamned shameful. OH NO THAT BUILDING LOOKS LIKE RAGE! I DIDN'T LIKE RAGE FUCK THIS GAME. Give me a break.
I guess I'll have to take it back.

Save us Princess Celestia.

Deadbeat

Banned
I have no problem with id software making Doom more like other shooters. What better way to complete their divebomb into irrelevancy.

Rename quakecon to bethcon/zenicon or something. Dissolve id software and deposit talent across the companies zenimax owns. This game, if it comes out in the fall like Rage will crash and burn just like rage. Out with the old and in with the new.

shuri

Banned
The best thing about Doom (if you play on ultra-violence or even Hurt me plenty) is that you are always on the verge of getting killed if you are not careful; especially in the earlier levels; you really have to be careful with ammo management. You are always outnumbered; and your only way out is pure skill and intelligence. There's ALWAYS a way out of every panic moment; and the fun of the game is about evading those moments while mowing down everything in your path.

DarkChild

Banned
Jumping to conclusions all up in this.
There is a reason why people jump to conculsion. 4 years ago...Game announced > new id engine > big hype. This year...RAGE flops hard > engine looks outdated > rumors about development problems > lay offs > leaked screens that look like crap. JC promised 3x visuals and we get this :/

msv

yeah other than awesome gun play, great weapons, cool secrets and AI that's fun to fight against, Rage is nothing like id's older games and is exactly like COD.
I'm counting that under 'a nice engine'. Rage was nice, loved the visuals and the gun gameplay, but I hated the hubs, wastelands and such. I don't see what's wrong in pointing out that the direction ID is taking is making them into more of a run of the mill game studio.

i don't understand this thread at all.

Wait, I'm not getting what you're saying. You're calling that map a hub?

edit: And yeah I'm not trying to pre-judge here. Just voicing my hopes that have been shattered by Doom3 and Quake 4 already, not that much to do with the screens,.

As somebody who still semi-regularly goes back to Doom 2, their city stages were pretty damn abstract. Hell, the whole game's design was abstract. That arguably worked in its favor, gameplay-wise, but it did require some fairly large leaps of logic to see them as actual locations.

Although really, I'd love a Doom game that looks like this, but I'm hoping that the levels are still abstract labyrinths instead of more linear Half-Life-esque levels or wide open sandboxes. These screens don't really tell you anything about that detail...

I'm counting that under 'a nice engine'. Rage was nice, loved the visuals and the gun gameplay, but I hated the hubs, wastelands and such. I don't see what's wrong in pointing out that the direction ID is taking is making them into more of a run of the mill game studio.
Hub levels aren't run of the mill in shooters though. the only two I can think of off the top of my head that feature them are the most recent Wolfenstein and Rage. COD, BF, Halo, Killzone etc... they don't feature hubs.

i mean, i get you didn't like having HUBs in Rage, that's fair enough, but that doesn't make the game run of the mill by any definition of the term that i'm aware of.

Wait, I'm not getting what you're saying. You're calling that map a hub?

nope. just pointing out that it's obviously a city on Earth with streets and blocks.

As somebody who still semi-regularly goes back to Doom 2, their city stages were pretty damn abstract. Hell, the whole game's design was abstract. That arguably worked in its favor, gameplay-wise, but it did require some fairly large leaps of logic to see them as actual locations.

Although really, I'd love a Doom game that looks like this, but I'm hoping that the levels are still abstract labyrinths instead of more linear Half-Life-esque levels or wide open sandboxes. These screens don't really tell you anything about that detail...

i don't think they were abstract by design though, if you get what i mean. pre Duke Nukem 3D I don't remember any first person shooters looking much like real places, but i sense that wasn't because ID didn't want them to look like real places, but it was that they couldn't make them look like real places on the Doom engine.

i don't think they were abstract by design though, if you get what i mean. pre Duke Nukem 3D I don't remember any first person shooters looking much like real places, but i sense that wasn't because ID didn't want them to look like real places, but it was that they couldn't make them look like real places on the Doom engine.
On the contrary, I'm pretty sure they were intended to be abstract. I mean, look at the development process for the first Doom; Tom Hall was designing maps to actually represent plausibly real locations (insofar as a base on Mars can be considered plausibly real). Everyone else on the team soundly rejected his concepts, and the end project went to a more abstract bent, which basically upset Hall so much that he quit the team entirely. They had to have gone abstract deliberately.

That it's much much much easier to design abstract maps with Doom's engine, given its total lack of rooms-over-rooms, was certainly a major impetus for that, of course, but I can't believe it's the only one.

.la1n

I liked how Rage ended up looking in the final product. I feel like if they are aiming for higher quality and a locked 30 fps then these screens are obviously not indicative of the final product (or even it's current state I'll bet.)

Grinchy

Banned
The character models look pretty incredible. I know nothing about this stuff though, could we even expect them to look like that in-game?

olore

The character models look pretty incredible. I know nothing about this stuff though, could we even expect them to look like that in-game?

Yeah, I`m too slightly slack jawed over how real they look. Though I guess Crysis/2 had models as real looking as those.

Also, Quadoomwolf, they are all meeting in the middle. They need to specifically not make Doom like Quake or Wolf. They need to distinguish it properly.

robin2

On the contrary, I'm pretty sure they were intended to be abstract. I mean, look at the development process for the first Doom; Tom Hall was designing maps to actually represent plausibly real locations (insofar as a base on Mars can be considered plausibly real). Everyone else on the team soundly rejected his concepts, and the end project went to a more abstract bent, which basically upset Hall so much that he quit the team entirely. They had to have gone abstract deliberately.

That it's much much much easier to design abstract maps with Doom's engine, given its total lack of rooms-over-rooms, was certainly a major impetus for that, of course, but I can't believe it's the only one.
This. The tech was a handicap in doing otherwise, but they still deliberately embraced the abstraction.

EVIL

If there is one thing I'd like them change it is the static sky. After playing Skyrim, I'm spoiled :(

I agree, it looked so fake when you play rage, and hear the wind blow and you look up at the sky, and you see these clouds sitting there, not moving and then bam, the illusion of it being 3d broke.

sigh. obviously because these screens don't show enemies, the game doesn't have any enemies at all. they aren't just shots of the wip levels.

why? Doom 1 and Doom 2 weren't designed around mouse and keyboard and it seems like from this thread, Doom 4 isn't allowed to be a modern take on Doom 2's story, it has to be beholden to the same technical limitations that Doom 2 was stuck with. so it should be designed around the keyboard and 320 x 240.

I know. That's why I want Doom 4 to be like brutal doom but designed around mouse and keyboard. ;)
And modded Doom already is in HD and holds up great. They could do Doom 4 in a similiar style but with a "real" 3d engine so it doesn't look wierd when you look down. I don't give a shit about the story, I just want something that plays like Doom not a Call of Duty with the Doom license.

Angry Fork

This is what happens when you decide to spend close to a decade not releasing any info on a new highly anticipated entry of a series. Eventually someone will crack and unfinished material ends up online. Valve take note.
Please give us HL3 info =(

Top Bottom