• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT3| Men in pink? How bizarre!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anth0ny

I wonder how much money Akira Toriyama has made off of the series. It's been a cash cow for like 30 years.

Also with all of this GT talk, i was wondering. What is the best way to watch it? Is there an HD version? Maybe a fan upscale or some sort of hidden gem.

Last time I watched it was on bootleg garbage quality DVD's in the early 2000's, so I'm curious to see how I feel now.

I've always wondered what his net worth is. I know the franchise has sold $5 billion in merchandise since the very beginning.

Also, the complete series of GT is available in 4:3 via those green DVD sets. They're still easy to find on Amazon or ebay.

olympia

how is the quality of the green boxes? is it the same at the sub on Hulu? Are the GT dboxes better?

I would also like to now the best way to watch it. I need to see the best version of that opening

I've always wondered what his net worth is. I know the franchise has sold $5 billion in merchandise since the very beginning.

Also, the complete series of GT is available in 4:3 via those green DVD sets. They're still easy to find on Amazon or ebay.

I read that Oda earns around 20 million dollars a year, but that is with an active series. I am guessing Toriyama is earning a decent amount each year in royalties.In the past month I have helped him by buying the manga and Dr Slump, too.

I am guessing the publishers get a big cut of the merchandise.

Anth0ny

how is the quality of the green boxes? is it the same at the sub on Hulu? Are the GT dboxes better?

I would also like to now the best way to watch it. I need to see the best version of that opening

If I recall correctly, the Dragon Boxes are still the best, but the green boxes are a damn good option, especially since they have english subtitles. Same with Dragon Ball.

It was only Z that was butchered with the orange boxes, and later, the blu rays.

Due to a convention in my hometown, I got the 4th volume of Kai in German two weeks earlier. Can't wait to hear the new VAs, especially the new Trunks. Re-dubs really are exciting :3

HeroR

You said that Dragon Ball GT DVDs don't sale none of this shows this.

Your game reference is equally broken unless your gunna say Dragon Ball is equally Aliens 3 because Dragon Ball gets featured rarely as well.

Also the bottom bit about sales says nothing about GT or how it's viewed.

I don't care about GT being canon. The fights Dragon Ball fans about canon is in my opinion the dumbest shit I've ever seen as content being canon simply doesn't matter to me that much.

I just want to see the sales Data of GT tanking and don't think using terms like the majority of fans feel one way about something for a product of this size is something that should be done.

I said DVDs in general don't sell in Japan. Super DVDs barely sell. Japan just isn't a big DVD market like the US since they rather see stuff on TV. Z didn't get DVD release in Japan until the 2000s.

The original Dragon Ball does gets feature a lot in games. We also know the reason why Dragon Ball stuff hasn't appeared in Xenoverse is because none of the characters can fly. Stupid reason, but isn't the lack of popularity.

And GT simply isn't that popular with the fandom. Why do you think it took so long to get another Dragon Ball series? It isn't about canon or not canon. GT isn't that popular outside of stuff like Super Saiyan 4.

Here are GT's rating:

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/episode/gt/list/

For reference, here are the ratings for Dragon Ball and Z:

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/episode/db/list/

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/episode/dbz/list/

Nohar

Hi everyone. I stopped watching Super rather quickly, finding the animation especially lackluster (the less said about episode 5, the better), and most episodes having a rather slow-ish pacing. I think I stopped at Goku and Beerus' fight, when both of them are in space. However, I heard that the addition of a new antagonist (
Goku Black
) made the serie great again.
Frankly, since I haven't been paying attention to it for a long time, has Super been improving and is now worth a watch? Does the pacing and animation get better?

Hi everyone. I stopped watching Super rather quickly, finding the animation especially lackluster (the less said about episode 5, the better), and most episodes having a rather slow-ish pacing. I think I stopped at Goku and Beerus' fight, when both of them are in space. However, I heard that the addition of a new antagonist (
Goku Black
) made the serie great again.
Frankly, since I haven't been paying attention to it for a long time, has Super been improving and is now worth a watch? Does the pacing and animation get better?

The first two arcs are shit and you're better off watching the movie.

Tournament arc had some interesting concepts but was underwhelming and kinda pointless.

Black Arc is the closest thing we've had to Z since Super started. Interesting villain and a more stretched out story. Animation is better and there's still lots of mystery.

HeroR

GT happens until Super goes into that timeline. Bullshit the rest in there. As we've seen lots happens off screen.

Kind of hard to BS how Hell works. How exactly do you explain how Gero built 17 from Hell when he's hanging from a tree?

The first two arcs are shit and you're better off watching the movie.

Tournament arc had some interesting concepts but was underwhelming and kinda pointless.

Black Arc is the closest thing we've had to Z since Super started. Interesting villain and a more stretched out story. Animation is better and there's still lots of mystery.

The Champa Saga is far from pointless. You get the introduction to how the multiverse works, The Super Dragon Balls, Zuno who plays a role in Episode 57, the upcoming multiverse tournament with all 12 universe, and Zen'o.

As for the retellings, I am of the mind that you should watched and judge for yourself. I personally enjoyed the BOG retelling, while the Resurrection 'F' retelling was okay, but added many stuff that I liked.

But, if you're really in a hurry, jumped to Episode 28 when the Champa Saga starts. Then and go back and rewatched from the start if you want.

Also from TheDevilsCorpse on Kanzenshuu about Xenoverse:

So, after bitching over on Twitter last night about not seeing Dabra in the game yet, Rhymestyle replied saying that he's been told the (Ex)Demon King isn't making the cut (potential DLC excluded)...

NeonZ

The apparent low number of new characters in Xenoverse 2 is so odd. You'd think that by reusing the engine and assets we'd get more new characters...

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
The original Dragon Ball does gets feature a lot in games. We also know the reason why Dragon Ball stuff hasn't appeared in Xenoverse is because none of the characters can fly. Stupid reason, but isn't the lack of popularity.

X0U09v7.jpg

The best is probably the Dragon Box, but it will cost you a pretty penny, and it lacks subtitles. The green bricks aren't that bad other than the lack of grain.

It is the only way I watch the dub since it comes with the original Japanese music, and they went out of their way to dub all the endings and the openings.

The most important thing, however is that Enter the Grand Tour was banished to HFIL.

Kind of hard to BS how Hell works. How exactly do you explain how Gero built 17 from Hell when he's hanging from a tree?

The Champa Saga is far from pointless. You get the introduction to how the multiverse works, The Super Dragon Balls, Zuno who plays a role in Episode 57, the upcoming multiverse tournament with all 12 universe, and Zen'o.

As for the retellings, I am of the mind that you should watched and judge for yourself. I personally enjoyed the BOG retelling, while the Resurrection 'F' retelling was okay, but added many stuff that I liked.

But, if you're really in a hurry, jumped to Episode 28 when the Champa Saga starts. Then and go back and rewatched from the start if you want.

Also from TheDevilsCorpse on Kanzenshuu about Xenoverse:

So, after bitching over on Twitter last night about not seeing Dabra in the game yet, Rhymestyle replied saying that he's been told the (Ex)Demon King isn't making the cut (potential DLC excluded)...

I get what you're saying but besides Zuno, it's almost like none of it matters (right now). In Z, each arc led into the next. Even BoG->RoF flowed a little better. Then it's like you have this random arc in the middle of it all. Lots of characters introduced, lots of plot points brought in, and then almost all of it is placed on hold. I get that the Black arc was Toriyama's idea, but I wish each arc didn't feel so standalone.

NeonZ

You're forgetting the Super Dragonballs... But, yes, main issue with the tournament arc is that although its set up episodes and the conclusion have been relevant, the actual core of the story is completely throw away so far.

The apparent low number of new characters in Xenoverse 2 is so odd. You'd think that by reusing the engine and assets we'd get more new characters...

Who would you like?

We have not seen the entire roster yet but Super content is pretty much a no show until DLC since development was started way before Super got into any real story content. That said they plan to support the game with DLC for a year post launch at least.

Android 16
Goku Black
Cooler
Turles
Lord Slug
Super Gogeta
Future Gohan
Majin Vegeta
Super Janemba
Zarbon
Dodoria
Imperfect Cell
Time Breaker Bardock
DBS Future Trunks

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

NeonZ

The core involving champa was resolved in a nice way

By "core" I meant the tournament itself. All the characters and world building directly related to the battles (like the Universe 6 Saiyan stuff) have been pointless so far.

Who would you like?

We have not seen the entire roster yet but Super content is pretty much a no show until DLC since development was started way before Super got into any real story content. That said they plan to support the game with DLC for a year post launch at least.

Android 16
Goku Black
Cooler
Turles
Lord Slug
Super Gogeta
Future Gohan
Majin Vegeta
Super Janemba
Zarbon
Dodoria
Imperfect Cell
Time Breaker Bardock
DBS Future Trunks

I guess I was expecting the roster to basically double due to keeping the same models... There isn't any single character that I'm missing, just many smaller omissions that add up.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I get what you're saying but besides Zuno, it's almost like none of it matters (right now). In Z, each arc led into the next. Even BoG->RoF flowed a little better. Then it's like you have this random arc in the middle of it all. Lots of characters introduced, lots of plot points brought in, and then almost all of it is placed on hold. I get that the Black arc was Toriyama's idea, but I wish each arc didn't feel so standalone.

Bingo.

NeonZ

The problem with the U6 arc is that it introduced all this exposition about a place that they apparently have no interest in actually exploring (at the time), so all that feels pointless right now. The world building that has carried over so far is specifically related to U7.

I'm sure they'll go to the Saiyan planet at some point. In the meantime, we get more with the Super Dragon Balls, more on different universes, Zuno, and Xeno's continued fascination in Goku. I don't think it's a bad thing that not every single aspect brought up in the previous arc will be tackled immediately in the following arc.

HeroR

That is because Super is closer to the story arc format of the original Dragon Ball than Z. The 21st World Martial Arts Tournament had a few plot points like Krillin being introduced, Goku training under master Roshi, and challenging him in the final match, but a lot of elements from that tournament were throw aways.

Also, only really the Saiyan Saga led to a bigger arc. The Cell and Buu Saga were kinda disconnected from each other.

NeonZ

That is because Super is closer to the story arc format of the original Dragon Ball than Z. The 21st World Martial Arts Tournament had a few plot points like Krillin being introduced, Goku training under master Roshi, and challenging him in the final match, but a lot of elements from that tournament were throw aways.

That's still much more than the consequences of the Universe 6 arc though. If Hit and Cabba had joined the main cast, I don't think people would talk about a lack of progression.

There's also the issue of focus - a completely throw away character like Frost got basically 3 episodes.

Also, only really the Saiyan Saga led to a bigger arc. The Cell and Buu Saga were kinda disconnected from each other.

Their foes are disconnected from each other, but the ending of the Cell Saga sets up the entire beginning of the Buu Saga. There's a clear passage of time and progression, while Super in comparison has mostly settled into a status quo ever since Goku and Vegeta left to train with Whis.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I read that Oda earns around 20 million dollars a year, but that is with an active series. I am guessing Toriyama is earning a decent amount each year in royalties.In the past month I have helped him by buying the manga and Dr Slump, too.

I am guessing the publishers get a big cut of the merchandise.

I think One Piece only managed to surpass it for a year or two world wide, before DB took back it's crown.

HeroR

That's still much more than the consequences of the Universe 6 arc though. If Hit and Cabba had joined the main cast, I don't think people would talk about a lack of progression.

There's also the issue of focus - a completely throw away character like Frost got basically 3 episodes.

Their foes are disconnected from each other, but the ending of the Cell Saga sets up the entire beginning of the Buu Saga. There's a clear passage of time and progression, while Super in comparison has mostly settled into a status quo ever since Goku and Vegeta left to train with Whis.

Honestly, only the build up for the World Martial Arts Tournament had long-term consequences. The tournament itself had nothing but throw away characters introduced. I mean, were get to this entire backstory for Nam who had the most motive to win, and he was a throw away in the end. We also know that most of U6 will return for the Zen-O's tournament, so chances are we will see Frost again. Which is more we can say about most of the characters from the 21st tournament.

What status quo are you referring to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom