• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emo Music |OT| Non-Conforming as Can Be

Easily my favourite album of last year

I CALLED IN SICK FROM YOUR FUNERAL
THE SIGHT OF YOUR BODY MADE ME FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE

*tears intensify*

The lyrics on that whole album hit so hard

Ha, guess what I was just listening to on the train home.

AGMlL6t.jpg

Awesome album indeed.

I can't believe the first time I heard it I wasn't into it, now it's one of my all time favorites.

Been listening to this one a lot. Started with it since my favorite songs you linked were off it. I'm really loving this album man. Thanks for posting this stuff.

Yeah, it's really got a a consistent style and sound throughout. It's by far the most 'classically Japanese' sounding record. This is pretty much regarded to be their best record, I think. It was their breakthrough record. LIke, what Ok Computer was like for Radiohead. Helped cement their style. Super stoked you like it, bro!

Lender

I know it's not emo, but since we don't have (post) hardcore thread I decided to throw it in here. Been listening to Wildlife by La Dispute for over a year now, and the more I listen to it the more it becomes one of my favorite albums of all time. The lyrics, instruments, melodies, emotions,... It's basically hardcore poetry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-JtPrMJOng

But the truth is, you were never there. You won’t ever be.
Sometimes I think I’m not either so what do I do
When every day still seems to start and end with you?
And you won’t ever know, you won’t ever see,
How much your ghost since then has been defining me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz2umuRhXK4

And just the other day I swear I saw a man there
Pulling weeds out of the concrete, sweeping up and patching cracks,
I saw him lift a rag to wash the years of filth from off those windows.
Made me wonder if there's anyone like that for you and me and
Anybody else who broke and lost hope.

The entire cd is just so damn good and covers a wide variety of real life topics. Cancer, depression, loneliness, schizophrenia, gang violence and the effects on regular families,... It's all just so damn good. Give it a listen if you haven't already, you won't be disappointed.

Auctopus

Only just found this thread (or at least forgot about it) and so glad to see Home Like NoPlace There Is being discussed. Sublime album.

Mecha

the beginning sounded very much like Mineral, it transformed into something else though. beautiful!

Whoops, didn't mean to make it look like I was recommending something similar. I was just posting a band. Glad you like them though, they need more fans.

Saw them at a tiny venue near me in the UK. They were such nice guys and played the whole album including a few extras.

That sounds amazing. They played a few of their older stuff like "An Ode to the Nite Ratz Club" when I saw them, not that I complained though because that song is amazing.

http://www.wired.com/2015/10/foxing-dealer-premiere/

IT'S FUCKING HERE

Foxing is streaming Dealer.

Goddamn is it good

4 tracks into this right now and it's so damn good. So many great albums this year.

IT only gets better seriously...

Eiffel is my favorite Foxing song now of all time. the whole album is amazing. Can't believe they actually outdid The Albatross

That song is great, after 1 listen though I think "Three on a Match" is my favorite, such a good closer. It's a gloomy day over her in Maryland and this album fits the mood so perfectly. Gorgeous album all around and to be honest I liked The Albatross, but not that much. This outdoes it by a mile in my opinion.

That song is great, after 1 listen though I think "Three on a Match" is my favorite, such a good closer. It's a gloomy day over her in Maryland and this album fits the mood so perfectly. Gorgeous album all around and to be honest I liked The Albatross, but not that much. This outdoes it by a mile in my opinion.

I am in Houston and we have been getting pounded by rain so I totally feel you on it.

But yeah it is such a great album. I loved The Albatross but there were weaknesses on it.. this I feel like there is none.

I also feel like this could be thought of as the first "post-emo" album

Lender

Listened to it for the first last night while laying in bed with my quality headphones, sounded very very good. Been listening it on the way to work and back as well. It sounds amazing, will listen to again later tonight. It's on it way to be in my top 3 albums of this year.

Listened to it for the first last night while laying in bed with my quality headphones, sounded very very good. Been listening it on the way to work and back as well. It sounds amazing, will listen to again later tonight. It's on it way to be in my top 3 albums of this year.

Yeah it has been my number 1 since I heard it. Dealer is such a good fucking album

So anyone going to the TWIABP & Foxing tour? Been hearing awesome things so far, not that I am surprised but curious if anyone has been yet. I get to go in a couple weeks and can't wait

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Oh, shit, I finally stumbled upon the rad music thread!

I've had The Hotelier's Home, Like Noplace Is There (and The Antler's Hospice) on repeat for the entire fucking week. Really incredible album that's hitting my mood perfectly.

Kawl_USC

Saw Tiny Moving Parts, Jeff Rosenstock, and Modern Baseball in Houston this weekend.

Jeff Rosenstock might have been one of the funniest and most entertaining shows I've seen. They played a hilarious cover of Seal's Kiss From a Rose and played up how they expected most people not to know who the hell they were.

Modern Baseball killed it as they usually do.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Saw Tiny Moving Parts, Jeff Rosenstock, and Modern Baseball in Houston this weekend.

Jeff Rosenstock might have been one of the funniest and most entertaining shows I've seen. They played a hilarious cover of Seal's Kiss From a Rose and played up how they expected most people not to know who the hell they were.

Modern Baseball killed it as they usually do.

I saw them back in the Spring and they played The Killers' When You Were Young as their encore. They weren't super great live, but it was a pretty fun show.

Also, seeing Rosenstock just seems like a great time. I'd love to hear his Seal cover, man.

Kawl_USC

I saw them back in the Spring and they played The Killers' When You Were Young as their encore. They weren't super great live, but it was a pretty fun show.

Also, seeing Rosenstock just seems like a great time. I'd love to hear his Seal cover, man.

I've seen Mobo 3 times now, and it's been neat to see their crowds grow. However, This show was super annoying in terms of people fucking with shit on stage, kicking over mic stands, shouting into the mic. Regardless, I wouldn't rate them above say the hotelier but I always enjoy the show.

The Seal cover was both one of the worst and best things I've ever had the (dis)pleasure of hearing. It helps that the song was held up in contrast to one of the best albums of the year in We Cool?

Filthy Slug

I've seen Mobo 3 times now, and it's been neat to see their crowds grow. However, This show was super annoying in terms of people fucking with shit on stage, kicking over mic stands, shouting into the mic. Regardless, I wouldn't rate them above say the hotelier but I always enjoy the show.

The Seal cover was both one of the worst and best things I've ever had the (dis)pleasure of hearing. It helps that the song was held up in contrast to one of the best albums of the year in We Cool?

Haha, that reminds me of early Front Bottoms shows. There would be douches clawing their way up to the stage and then hopping around, phone in hand, filming themselves alongside the band. But those crowds morphed into the best ones real fucking quick, thankfully.

And now you have me wanting to go to a Jeff Rosenstock show, man! Jamming out to We Cool? may not cover it anymore.

They did a full Killers cover set at Fest, with help from Greg & Tom from The Menzingers and Bob from Captain We're Sinking. I didn't leave in time to get in as it was first thing on day 2 basically, but there's a video of it up on Youtube. Seemed hella fun.

When they came through last year and I saw them, I commented to my friend that I love Moden Baseball but fuck their fans. I mean I get they're mostly younger people who're just getting into more underground stuff, but fuck me if they aren't annoying as fuck. They also didn't care about Spraynard which is just indefensible, GAWD.

Haha, that reminds me of early Front Bottoms shows. There would be douches clawing their way up to the stage and then hopping around, phone in hand, filming themselves alongside the band. But those crowds morphed into the best ones real fucking quick, thankfully.

And now you have me wanting to go to a Jeff Rosenstock show, man! Jamming out to We Cool? may not cover it anymore.

Rosenstock was fucking amazing at Fest. I'm still pissed at myself for not seeing BtMI when they came over.

Kawl_USC

Don't get me started on assholes doing that shit at tFB. Saw them in Columbia a while back and the morons messed up their trumpet and interrupted the final verse to Twin Sized mattress. That's like the greatest verse they've ever written and the snot nosed punks ruined it.

And I highly recommend seeing Rosenstock if you get the chance.

Have you guys checked out The Cardboard Swords yet? I was having a hard time this week trying to come up with a top ten albums for this year, but then I went to check out the Count Your Lucky Stars bandcamp and found a new album to add to the list.

Some other albums this year I have been stoked about are:
Hop Along - Painted Shut
mewithoutYou - Pale Horses
oso oso - Real Stories of True People Who Kind Of Looked Like Monsters
Spraynard - Mable
The World is a Beautiful Place & I am No Longer Afraid to Die - Harmlessness
Turnover - Peripheral Vision

So overall it hasn't been a bad year, but last year was just amazing! I mean we had good or great records from The Hotelier, Pianos Become the Teeth, La Dispute, Prawn, Empire! Empire!, Braid, Tigers Jaw, The Jazz June, Kittyhawk, Tiny Moving Parts and Gates!

Is there anything coming up in the next month? What else did you like from this year?
I wasn't that impressed with Annabel or Foxing upon the first few listens. Maybe I should give them another chance.

Have you guys checked out The Cardboard Swords yet? I was having a hard time this week trying to come up with a top ten albums for this year, but then I went to check out the Count Your Lucky Stars bandcamp and found a new album to add to the list.

Some other albums this year I have been stoked about are:
Hop Along - Painted Shut
mewithoutYou - Pale Horses
oso oso - Real Stories of True People Who Kind Of Looked Like Monsters
Spraynard - Mable
The World is a Beautiful Place & I am No Longer Afraid to Die - Harmlessness
Turnover - Peripheral Vision

So overall it hasn't been a bad year, but last year was just amazing! I mean we had good or great records from The Hotelier, Pianos Become the Teeth, La Dispute, Prawn, Empire! Empire!, Braid, Tigers Jaw, The Jazz June, Kittyhawk, Tiny Moving Parts and Gates!

Is there anything coming up in the next month? What else did you like from this year?
I wasn't that impressed with Annabel or Foxing upon the first few listens. Maybe I should give them another chance.

Sorority Noise Sorority Noise Sorority Noise Sorority Noise

I really fucking love this album

There's also the Donovan Wolfington album, though I haven't listened to that fully yet

Sorority Noise Sorority Noise Sorority Noise Sorority Noise

I really fucking love this album

There's also the Donovan Wolfington album, though I haven't listened to that fully yet
I really liked Forgettable but Joy, Departed hasn't done much for me yet, but I haven't listened to it for a few months so I'll go give it another shot. I like the split with Somos though. Didn't really like Donovan Wolfington album either on first listen although I liked Stop Breathing but I'll give it another shot too.

for the love of all whatever please go see the Foxing, TWIABP, and TTNG tour. fucking amazing. Also get there early to check out Brightside. Awesome band. So go everyone! beyond worth it

kiguel182

I need to start working on my top 10 AOTY list. I think I have the 10 records but I've had the drive to go and actually write them.

Also, I wish I could attend all those awesome tours. I'm born on the wrong place to be an emo music fan.

So what is everyone's top 3 albums this year? We could do some voting but I feel like almost everyone's top 3 will be pretty different so I feel like it would be useless to do a vote. So just share your top 3 for the year! Curious to see what everyone says

1. The World Is... - Harmlessness.

2. Foxing- Dealer

3. Marietta- As it Were

Funny how my AOTY worked out though. I adore Foxing and loved Dealer, but recently I realized that I found myself listening to Harmlessness a lot more and came to fully appreciate the entire album more than just a few standout tracks and it overtook Dealer which was a huge surprise to me.

Also Marietta's new album was awesome. Hard to leave out Sorority Noise though I feel like As It Were was better than Joy, Departed

Edit: it's As it Were not As it Is... idk why I thought that lol

So what is everyone's top 3 albums this year? We could do some voting but I feel like almost everyone's top 3 will be pretty different so I feel like it would be useless to do a vote. So just share your top 3 for the year! Curious to see what everyone says

1. The World Is... - Harmlessness.

2. Foxing- Dealer

3. Marietta- As it Is

Funny how my AOTY worked out though. I adore Foxing and loved Dealer, but recently I realized that I found myself listening to Harmlessness a lot more and came to fully appreciate the entire album more than just a few standout tracks and it overtook Dealer which was a huge surprise to me.

Also Marietta's new album was awesome. Hard to leave out Sorority Noise though I feel like As It Is was better than Joy, Departed

Gotta go with

1. Turnover - Peripheral Vision

2. Runaway Brother - Mother

3. Marietta - As it Were

Number 1 was an easy choice, slept on that record until late in the year but once I heard it for the first time I keep coming back, still listen to it every day. Same with the new Runaway Brother record, instantly hooked by it. I loved Summer Death so I was pumped for new Marietta and it delivered.

Major honourable mentions to Hyperview by Title Fight, Joy, Departed by Sorority Noise, Having it All by Annabel and Everybody Is Going to Heaven by Citizen.

EDIT:

Forgot to mention that all 2015 releases from Run For Cover Records are free/pay what you want on their bandcamp right now, until midnight pacific tonight, in case anybody didn't know and is interested.

Turnover's new record was awesome. Some great releases this year! Enjoyed Title Fight as well and nice to see Marietta in your top 3 as well. Need to check out Runaway Brother though

Filthy Slug

My top 3 this year are:
1) The Front Bottoms - Back on Top
2) The Hotelier - Home, Like NoPlace is There
3) The Mountain Goats - Beat the Champ

I'm gonna expound on these tomorrow or when it's not 3am, but this has been such a great year for music.

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
Anyone considering going to the New Year's Promise Ring show in Chicago? I wish they'd play in their damn hometown instead.

kiguel182

My top 3 this year are:
1) The Front Bottoms - Back on Top
2) The Hotelier - Home, Like NoPlace is There
3) The Mountain Goats - Beat the Champ

I'm gonna expound on these tomorrow or when it's not 3am, but this has been such a great year for music.

The Hotelier record is from last year.

EDIT: Also, are we doing AOTY already? Got to have to do my list soon then!

Yo so does anyone else listen to Prawn? How the fuck have I not listened to them before tonight. I checked out the Moving Mountains/Prawn split finally since I love Moving Mountains but fuck Prawn is the shit.

Top Bottom