• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon (PC/PSN/XBLA) - May 1st 2013 (Michael Biehn included?)

Tobor

It was a legit question as I don't know anything about it except what I see in those screens. My question was serious, if it's just the same old but with a different style then I don't get the point.

You can honestly look at this and not get the point? Someone said it before, and it's true, you need a new hobby.

tumblr_m7p5olVD4b1rqfhi2o1_500.gif

Sooo is it just another shooter but with a different color scheme/art style? I can't really tell the difference in the screens.

Yes, with a filter over it that will probably be annoying as hell.

Except thematically, I'm excited as fuck and will probably enjoy this 10 times more than it will deserve.

If this thing ends up challenging and fresh, I'd be surprised as hell, but thrilled speechless.

duckroll

It was a legit question as I don't know anything about it except what I see in those screens. My question was serious, if it's just the same old but with a different style then I don't get the point.

Far Cry 3 is an open world shooter. The appeal of an open world setting changes based on the setting itself and what you can do within that setting. This is a widely different setting with stuff we don't see enough of in games - homages to 80s scifi craziness. That is the point.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
You can honestly look at this and not get the point? Someone said it before, and it's true, you need a new hobby.

Just move on, he has nothing of value to say. That's complaining just to complain. It's a spin off from a shooting game, which was part of a series of shooting games. No one is expecting this to invent a new genre of games, it's just a really neat concept and setting.

Derrick01

Banned
Far Cry 3 is an open world shooter. The appeal of an open world setting changes based on the setting itself and what you can do within that setting. This is a widely different setting with stuff we don't see enough of in games - homages to 80s scifi craziness. That is the point.

Right, I guess I just wanted to know if it was going to do anything different except for a filter change. At least the box art is cool as hell.

This makes me wonder why it's even called Far Cry 3. Why not just Blood Dragon? There has to be a story behind this.

I am saying this not having played FC3 yet.

It probably uses the same engine, control scheme, animations, and mechanics as FC3, and it's still set on an open-world tropical island. It may have some kind of weird tangential tie-in with FC3, like someone pointed out in this thread jokingly, it could be some kind of drug-fueled hallucination. I really believe that could be a real possibility.

Tobor

This looks great but WTF does it have to do with Far Cry 3

Engine, gameplay mechanics, reused assets, and possibly a story element(Jason get's into the magic mushrooms again?).

Even if it has nothing to do with the story, by calling it Far Cry 3 we know how the game will play. It's like a professionally done overhaul mod.

duckroll

That's awesome! I'm sure the island will be much smaller than the FC3 world, but that also means there could be more awesomeness packed into each and every square foot! I wonder if there will be wildlife (besides blood dragons)?

Based on the achievements, there will be:
- Garrisons
- Predator's Path Quests
- Hostage Situations
- Different animal types (Enemies)
- Braincages (Destructibles?)
- Dragons (Enemies)
- Dr Calyle's Notes (Collectibles)
- VHS Tapes (Collectibles)
- TV Sets (Hidden Messages)
- Weapon Attachments
- Character Level

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
It probably uses the same engine, control scheme, animations, and mechanics as FC3, and it's still set on an open-world tropical island. It may have some kind of weird tangential tie-in with FC3, like someone pointed out in this thread jokingly, it could be some kind of drug-fueled hallucination. I really believe that could be a real possibility.

That, and Far Cry 3 was pretty successful. This is a great opportunity to piggyback off the success of the base game while trying something new and crazy at the same time.

The Jason

Yep for all of those reasons, and probably name recognition as well.

ezekial45

Banned
Since it's a downloadable title, I'm wondering just how big the game is gonna be. No way it's gonna be the size of FC3.

This is all very exciting.

Beckx

I don't even know how this came to be a thing that actually exists, from a major publisher no less, but I want it.

ezekial45

Banned
Maybe its the size of one of the two Islands of Far Cry 3

That's still very big. Even the second island, which was much smaller and less dense with content still was a very big space to explore.

Then again, maybe I'm not giving Arcade/PSN title enough credit.

Salsa

honestly i'd prefer it if this was the real canon world and Far Cry 3's shitty disappointing story was a weird hallucination

This makes me wonder why it's even called Far Cry 3. Why not just Blood Dragon? There has to be a story behind this.

I am saying this not having played FC3 yet.
I've read comments on this story from other news sources and plenty of people have been saying they normally wouldn't buy it but because it says Far Cry 3 they trust the quality.

Pure, distilled awesome. If you were born in the 90's and later then you are incapable of understanding and I feel sorry for you.
I'm from '92 and I understand why this is awesome. Of course, most of the movies I grew up with as a kid were '80s sci-fi and action, so maybe I'm just '80s at heart.

Oh my, those achievements look incredible! Kill a dragon with the bow? Kill 25 dragons? It really is gonna be like Skyrim with guns!

Lijik

Can't believe its so close. I'm pumped as hell for this. The 80s era aesthetic and scenarios are just too good to be true

My favorite achievement:

Hail to the King
-Reach maximum level and become the ultimate badass

I can't wait to see what kind of combat abilities you get!

It would be amazing if they let you star with most, if not all of the Far Cry 3 abilities. Then learn some new ones as you level up.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

It's Far Cry 3. Yes, FC3 is a shooter. This seems to be sort of like the crazy Washington DLC for AC3, but they made it stand alone. The point is they took Far Cry 3 and did something crazy and cool looking with the content, instead of just adding a few more regular DLC missions.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
It seems like its going to easily be a $20-25 priced title I think

...and that's totally cool if the content backs up the price. That's to be determined, but I'm definitely down for REAL expansion sized content. Rockstar had the right idea with the Episodes and Undead Nightmare but from what I've read they didn't sell enough to make it worth the effort. :(

Top Bottom