• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon (PC/PSN/XBLA) - May 1st 2013 (Michael Biehn included?)

Tookay

Had no interest in FC3, but this caught my attention instantly. I love the bold direction.

I don't know who we have to thank for the 80s revival, but thank you.

Sober

Born in 88 but I know the 80s sci-fi feeling.

This is going to be fucking amazing. Ubisoft finally doing something completely right for once.

tci

Everything about this looks and sounds amazing.

This is actually the only DLC so far that I have been interested in. Day 1.

Drakeon

Goddamnit, I'm in. I have some microsoft fun bucks sitting around from a half off sale from Christmas, so fuck it, why not.

ChaosXVI

At least now Michael Biehn has somehow become synonymous with the '80s, but since his best movies (Terminator & Aliens) were made then, I guess it makes sense.

God this is just so awesome, but I feel like most of the people who have played Far Cry 3 won't really appreciate it. Hotline Miami and this need to be in a boxed compilation for PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U, and SEGA Genesis.

Had no interest in FC3, but this caught my attention instantly. I love the bold direction.

I don't know who we have to thank for the 80s revival, but thank you.
Funny, after seeming the screens and reading the summary, I think the exact opposite.

Loved Far Cry 3, but this seems, I don't know, stupid. I wasn't an '80s baby, so maybe this just isn't for me. I'll wait till I see some gameplay before passing judgement though.

saunderez

I wasn't an '80s baby, so maybe this just isn't for me.

I'm sure you'll get some entertainment value out of the sheer cheesiness of it all but yeah, its hard to be nostalgic for something if you weren't around the first time. I was born in 84 so barely remember it myself. Game looks incredible though, I can't wait.

take_my_moneynqbso.gif

Yep

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
How does this game tie from Far Cry 3 that we know to this game?
I am so confused.
But Im still buying it.

Think of Undead Nightmare from RDR, or Carnival of the Tiger from Sleeping Dogs. They don't tie into the main game.

Which makes this so freaking awesome!

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I think they misjudged how awesome this was going to be. They should have gone all out and made a giant full priced game.

Since it's a downloadable title, I'm wondering just how big the game is gonna be. No way it's gonna be the size of FC3.

This is all very exciting.

Eurogamer were suggesting it might take place on one of the outlying islands. I could see that a real possibility, especially with it being an open world title. Perhaps the one where the military bunkers are?

zon

Hmm I might just be forced to purchase this fine piece of art. I've always wondered what 2007 would look like.

The Jason

Its gonna be funny when this is released and some people take it seriously. Its quite obvious to us but some people will hate it.

When i was playing farcry 3 i always wondered what the consequence of eating all those "berries" in the cave.

Guess this is it.

I hope Ubisoft realise a lot of people would buy the things in the shop.

Also there are a few aesthetic styles I absolutely adore. This is one of them.

Eusis

So it's labeled "FarCry3" only for marketing purpose?
We'd need to see who exactly developed it, but I imagine it's in the same engine and by the same people, and likely deemed so meaty it'd be better sold as a stand alone campaign than something that required FC3. Would be nice if on PC it'd at least share the same folder and assets where relevant to cut down on space, similar to Valve and Source games.

glaurung

Oh dear lord, where did this thing come from?

It looks awesome. FC3 is awesome in itself, but I got lost doing the side stuff and haven't finished the main quest line yet.

I wonder how this game will pan out against FC3's open world shenanigans.

Stoked.

Eusis

It likely plays like Far Cry 3, so why not call it Far Cry 3?
Well, if it's sufficiently different in terms of people responsible and whatnot I'd think just calling it "Far Cry" would be enough. Which is why I'm speculating this is basically planned DLC growing so much they wanted to sell it alone instead, rather than slapping it on something that was never related. We'll see when it's out I guess, but this usually is around when we'd see meatier DLC hitting popular games, just look at Skyrim and Dishonored.

sakipon

We'd need to see who exactly developed it, but I imagine it's in the same engine and by the same people, and likely deemed so meaty it'd be better sold as a stand alone campaign than something that required FC3. Would be nice if on PC it'd at least share the same folder and assets where relevant to cut down on space, similar to Valve and Source games.

I'm okay with using the same engine, assets etc, but still not sure FC3 should be that prominently in the title. Couldn't such info be presented in the cover art or store description?

duckroll

Well, if it's sufficiently different in terms of people responsible and whatnot I'd think just calling it "Far Cry" would be enough. Which is why I'm speculating this is basically planned DLC growing so much they wanted to sell it alone instead, rather than slapping it on something that was never related. We'll see when it's out I guess, but this usually is around when we'd see meatier DLC hitting popular games, just look at Skyrim and Dishonored.

Oh yeah? Explain this then. It doesn't even play much like AC3. It isn't by the same team at all. It doesn't feature the same characters. It's not even set in the same time period!

IeDKsyY.jpg

i would have called it FAR CRY: BLOOD DRAGON 3 for maximum Straight to Video -effect.

Eusis

Oh yeah? Explain this then. It doesn't even play much like AC3. It isn't by the same team at all. It doesn't feature the same characters. It's not even set in the same time period!

IeDKsyY.jpg
Oh yeah, that. Actually I checked again, and the times DO overlap (AC3:L taking a smaller portion), and the game came out at the same time, seemingly intended to be the portable tie in much like the CoD games on DS. It does indicate that Ubisoft IS prone to just lumping them together for the sake of sales, but I can't help but think Blood Dragon reminds me too much of a normal DLC release, except it sliced out the "requires the main game" part. I imagine someone's going to say something eventually in an interview whether it was planned as DLC or a separate game they couldn't rationalize as a full title.
i would have called it FAR CRY: BLOOD DRAGON 3 for maximum Straight to Video -effect.
Yeah, if the intent is just tying in they could've been clever there by making it LOOK like the 3 followed Far Cry, only for it to really be following Blood Dragon. The reaction might be hilarious/painful too.

duckroll

Oh yeah, that. Actually I checked again, and the times DO overlap (AC3:L taking a smaller portion), and the game came out at the same time, seemingly intended to be the portable tie in much like the CoD games on DS. It does indicate that Ubisoft IS prone to just lumping them together for the sake of sales, but I can't help but think Blood Dragon reminds me too much of a normal DLC release, except it sliced out the "requires the main game" part. I imagine someone's going to say something eventually in an interview whether it was planned as DLC or a separate game they couldn't rationalize as a full title.

Or... they just decided to make a stand alone expansion which is already getting rather common? Take2 did it with Episodes from Liberty City. Sony did it with Festival of Blood. Not really new.

Eusis

Or... they just decided to make a stand alone expansion which is already getting rather common? Take2 did it with Episodes from Liberty City. Sony did it with Festival of Blood. Not really new.
Took a physical disc for the former, but point. Although come to think of it Festival of Blood does seem to be along that line of thought I was having, but I guess when it comes to a fairly sizable chunk of content they stop and consider whether it's REALLY worth having the barrier of entry of getting the original game when they could just include the extra relevant data and sell it alone instead. And given you can charge more AND sell to more people potentially it really doesn't make much sense to require that base game when you think about it.

Top Bottom