• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon (PC/PSN/XBLA) - May 1st 2013 (Michael Biehn included?)

Derrick01

Banned
What makes you say that? I thought the stealth aspects of Far Cry were some of the most satisfying I've come across in the first person arena.

Because like everything else in the game it was made with minimal effort and for the lowest common denominator. It doesn't have any stealth aspects, it has a crouch button and takedown button and some weapons have a silencer option. That's it. You don't make any noise while crouched if I remember right and you can spam rocks to get people to turn their back to you for the easy takedown kill. There's no effort, challenge or skill involved with it.

partyphone said:
Could it be that Far Cry 2 and 3 were terribly awesome?

No, that's a big reason why I asked if this was just more of the same. Because if it's the same mechanics and abilities from FC3 then it will suck as much as FC3 did.

Never played any Far Cry. I can honestly say anything Far Cry about this title will be the part I give a shit about the least.

I'd like it to not suck, but I'm a sucker for the theme. I'm not gonna rationalize that it's actually good if it's not though. I just hope this isn't another Retro City Rampage.

legacyzero

Banned
FC3 was fucking terrible.
ibiSEngKuiyZpP.gif

Dabanton

Never played any Far Cry. I can honestly say anything Far Cry about this title will be the part I give a shit about the least.

I'd like it to not suck, but I'm a sucker for the theme. I'm not gonna rationalize that it's actually good if it's not though. I just hope this isn't another Retro City Rampage.

FC3 is actually built on a solid premise. Exploring the islands in FC3 was amazing with the added element of 80's sci fi action it will be good.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I get all sorts of nostalgia listening to that music.

I don't know why but the beginning of the video where the title comes into view reminds me of the Orion movie intro. Somehow dubiously, righteously, and tubularly 80's.

COWABUNGA!

It's almost not at all. FC2 was a lot deeper and had less bullshit content and broken takedown abilities.

Having just finished Far Cry 2, I think there are some great things about the game, such as the atmosphere and the music.

However, I think it's nostalgia to say the game is "deep." There is very little variety between the gameplay in hour ten (Leboa-Sako) and hour twenty (Bowa-Seko). To survive the regenerating guard-posts and often punishing enemy AI, you stick to the same formula and it gets very repetitive.

Derrick01

Banned
Far Cry 3 was so good that it was named Rock, Paper, Shotgun's Game of the Year:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/12/24/magnificent-and-important-advent-calendar-day-24/

They do a good job of explaing why, even though it wasn't my personal fave. Still a great game and this might be a lovely eighties style icing on the cake.

RPS does stuff like this sometimes. They're without a doubt the best place to go to for un-biased reviews and previews but every now and then they pick a bad game to like. They did something similar by calling Dishonored (a really bad stealth game) the best stealth game since Thief 2.

RPS does stuff like this sometimes. They're without a doubt the best place to go to for un-biased reviews and previews but every now and then they pick a bad game to like. They did something similar by calling Dishonored (a really bad stealth game) the best stealth game since Thief 2.

No that's a true thing. It was an amazing stealth game.

Because like everything else in the game it was made with minimal effort and for the lowest common denominator. It doesn't have any stealth aspects, it has a crouch button and takedown button and some weapons have a silencer option. That's it. You don't make any noise while crouched if I remember right and you can spam rocks to get people to turn their back to you for the easy takedown kill. There's no effort, challenge or skill involved with it.

I would like to disagree a little with the idea that it takes no skill or effort to act stealthily. Granted, you are not constantly nursing a light and sound meter or worrying that you have enough rocks in your backpack to distract the next two guards, but there are clear patterns that guards will take that must be taken into consideration when attacking a base, and an order of dispatching that needs to be figured out more often than not. I'm not arguing that it is massively complex, but I do find it satisfying, even though it's simple.

I enjoy complex gaming systems as much as the next person, but I also sometimes like to stab a dude in the back from 20 feet away and then shoot another guy with a fire arrow whilst getting mauled by a tiger. Why? Because it's awesome.

If you constantly seek out complex game mechanics in triple A titles, I'm afraid you will never be satiated, just stuck in an endless diatribe with people such as myself who can find pleasure in such games. Luckily we live in the age of the Kickstarter and a lot of these older more complex gaming systems are starting to see a resurgence so all may not be lost for you Derrick.

I find that I agree with RPS' opinions and evaluations of games about as much as I disagree with them. I certainly can't get behind FC3, which is an awesome world in which mostly dreadfully boring things happen.

Maybe I am getting tired of the latest episode of 'Escape from AAA Dangerous Places', but when that game was done I was glad it was over, and thought that it had worn out its welcome by a good while for me.

This standalone title looks awesome based on aesthetic and style alone.

made amazing by blink

I felt it ruined the stealth aspect. Levels, etc were all built around the mechanic. Sure you could go without, but the same is true of Absolution and its Instincts mode and it only serves to make the game so frustrating that you simply lose the will or drive to continue playing.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
It is if your goal is to play it as a linear narrative based game. But just playing in the open world sandbox with all the interacting systems is fun because some hilariously stupid shit is happening all the time.

Just Cause 2 is another game like this. Ignoring the story missions and blowing shit up or grappling shit to other shit and then blowing that shit up is some of the most fun you can have in a video game.

FC2 was fighting me every step of the way when I tried to play it as you described.

Top Bottom