• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4 will be released on November 18th (PS4, Xbox One, PC, 360, PS3)

I'm sure there was hatred in their heart when they designed it.

Not really, probably just ignorance. Look, I have no problem with it if in game the guy is a racist shitlord but some how I have the sneaking suspicion this cover was just drawn to make the bad guy look cool. And they succeeded! They just didn't have to give it racist undertones is all i'm saying.

Basketball

As long as it stays away from the saints row 4 route

Superpowers, aliens, laser weapons

I know it will be good. + map editor

Xyrmellon

If the guy on the preorder banner is the main character, it looks like it's keeping with the theme of anti-hero. He looks like a lovable doofus.

MormaPope

Banned
Anyone thinking this won't be limited by old-gen will be sorely disappointed. They will just add graphical effects to the game not possible on the old gen.

The models will be roughly the same polygon count, textures will be slightly better, all of the in game world geometry and structure will be roughly the same.

This trend needs to stop.

What about the gameplay and design itself?

People complaining about cross gen games are really getting tired. Get a grip, they're not going anywhere.

Anyway, not sure about this game. They'll really have to wow me to get me to commit. I didn't care for FC3 at all and I feel like the series is starting to devolve into Saints Row territory in terms of its humor. Which is completely lost on me. But I'll try and keep an open mind.

Squire

Banned
Not really, probably just ignorance. Look, I have no problem with it if in game the guy is a racist shitlord but some how I have the sneaking suspicion this cover was just drawn to make the bad guy look cool. And they succeeded! They just didn't have to give it racist undertones is all i'm saying.

Nah, the games are vaguely self-aware. The undertone is intended, although I don't believe it's malicious. They're making a play at satire.

But going by this thread, goddamn if that hasn't completely gone over some heads. It's funny because the cover is actually a subversion of the cover to FC3. Perhaps the plot will be as well.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
fc4-global-bg-top-fg-i8a8.png

fc4-global-bg-bottom-mg-i8a8.png

JordanN

Banned
2014 needs to be the last year of cross-gen.
I get that publishers probably greenlit these projects while the next gen consoles were new so I'll give them leniency there.

But next year, there will have been so many next gen games made by MS and Sony 1st party that PS3/360 graphics will look horribly out of place and outdated in 2015.

Anyone thinking this won't be limited by old-gen will be sorely disappointed. They will just add graphical effects to the game not possible on the old gen.

The models will be roughly the same polygon count, textures will be slightly better, all of the in game world geometry and structure will be roughly the same.

Well to be fair, Far Cry 3 on pc looked pretty damn good for a 2012(?) game. This game won't be the prettiest game ever, but the art direction will make it worth looking at for sure. Question is if its gonna be 30 or 60fps on consoles. Betting on 30.

Now they just need to make the missions more like far cry 2 vs 3, give me more options and don't make me fail everytime i get off the 'path'.

mrhej

Far Cry 3 was weird for me. I loved the game but as soon as I beat the story I never touched it again and I never do that.

RedSwirl

Overall, I think I'm down. Far Cry 3 disappointed me in a lot of ways compared to FC2, but I still found it to be one of the few games recently I actually enjoyed enough to justify full price. I don't expect Ubisoft to change a whole lot since FC3 was so successful, but I'll still try to hope.

I really enjoyed Far Cry 3 when I was just running around in the jungle encountering random events and taking down enemy bases. The actual missions though are kind of dull. The main missions are too linear and the open-ended side missions are too simplistic. It's actually pretty much the same format as the last few Assassin's Creed games: Open world, linear main missions, simplistic open-ended side missions, tons of crap to collect. It looks like Watch_Dogs is going to be doing nearly the same thing.

I'm hoping beyond hope that FC4 can at least bring back FC2's open-ended main missions. But even there I'm afraid Ubisoft will design all the areas as blatant video game levels rather than realistic places.

Here's the thing though: Every Far Cry game so far has basically been a PC game with significantly inferior console ports.

The actual original Far Cry 1 didn't even come out on consoles until this past February (the older Xbox versions were different, inferior games). When Far Cry 2 came out people talked about how the PC version was different and better in a few significant ways (a lot of them visual). Far Cry 3 ran like shit on PS3 and 360 (and actually had pretty high system requirements on PC at the time).

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I liked FC3 only for story related missions, for stealth and for the crafting system... the rest of it is a total waste of time. Now, about FC4. The cover is just awful and as for the game....meh, I don't think they will deliver drastically different game this time... I rather play Blood Dragon 2 (the first Blood Dragon was a much better game than FC3 in almost every aspect in my opinion). So, I definitely wont buy FC4 and wont be playing it this fall.

Nah, the games are vaguely self-aware. The undertone is intended, although I don't believe it's malicious. They're making a play at satire.

But going by this thread, goddamn if that hasn't completely gone over some heads. It's funny because the cover is actually a subversion of the cover to FC3. Perhaps the plot will be as well.

I don't get the satire part, but I've spoken my peace so i'm done. I like the art direction and color they're going with and no doubt it will be fun to play, especially since I didn't play 3.

Squire

Banned
I don't get the satire part, but I've spoken my peace so i'm done. I like the art direction and color they're going with and no doubt it will be fun to play, especially since I didn't play 3.

The satire was in Far Cry 3, sorry. I'm just guessing they're going for that again.

But yeah, I do think it's good art. Game sounds good.

i see they're getting the weird racist overtones out there right from the start now

Yeeeeah, I get that this is clearly supposed to be the villain being a paternalist racist weirdo but it's not really a great choice for box art. Without knowing anything about the game you kind of just look at this and go, like, oh ok wow

Plus, FC3 itself wasn't as clever as it thought it was and just came across as dumb and racist in spots, so this isn't exactly something I trust them with handling.

Hellshy.

Wat

I certainly hope that's the case.

It's a waste of time to create PS360 versions, though. FC3 was one of the worst performing console games we've seen in the last decade. Just an awful frame-rate.

maybe i just dont remember but the screen tearing is what drove me nuts.I am sure the frame rate wasnt good. I Havnt played a AAA game in a bit on ps3 but the last few I played had horrible tearing, especially far cry 3 and metro last light.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
franchise's become quite the exercise in creating the most fugly arrogant smugs in a videogame. Second Son comes real close, though

I wonder what the plot is. I hope it doesn't involve rich kids again

also, Hurk? Lol

So are we playing as a white guy again who has to come to the aid of the useless local brown people who can't do shit, and have to rely on the good old Mighty Whitey tropes, and whose mystical ancient bullshit can only be properly used by you?

kiguel182

Why cross-gen?

Apart from that it looks good if it can improve on FC3, I liked that one. But being cross-gen will limit it a little. Let's wait and see I guess.

-PXG-

So are we going to need to know graduate level calculus and refer to a huge ass chart in order to decide on which one of the 500 versions of the game, for us to buy?

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Main thing I want is exhaustive HUD options.

I recommend everyone who's able to play Far Cry 3 on PC with Ziggy's Mod, which removes all the superfluous, hand-holding garbage and really transforms the game for the better.

eXistor

I haven't even seen any footage and I know it's just gonna be more of the same. FC3 was your typical Ubisoft snorefest, so no thanks. If it means Blood Dragon 2 also gets made, then I'm all for it though.

velociraptor

No chance for 60 FPS on PS4 or XBO

I played Far Cry 3 on my brand new 7970 and the frame rate was all over the place. The game was jaggy as well...

Ubisoft really need to learn how to optimise their games. Their games consistently appear to be amongst the worst performing games released.

Seanspeed

Banned
I think he means on PS4/Xbone.
Which are still consoles.

The point is that they've clearly shown that performance was not a high priority for them. Even on the PC, it took a fairly capable rig to run this at decent settings at 60fps. You're dreaming if you think they'll even 'aim for 60fps' here.

Bricky

I loved Far Cry 3, but am a bit dissapointed that this is basically going to be Far Cry 3-2 instead of true next-gen Far Cry. There is SO much potential to revolutionize this franchise just by adding more raw console power, yet they decide to make it a cross-gen game. What a crying shame.

On the upside, the game will probably be 1080p/60fps on the PS4. And Far Cry 3 looked amazing that way on PC. So there's that.

Anyway, still hyped, but not as hyped as I wanted to be.

Which are still consoles.

The point is that they've clearly shown that performance was not a high priority for them. Even on the PC, it took a fairly capable rig to run this at decent settings at 60fps. You're dreaming if you think they'll even 'aim for 60fps' here.

792p on PS4 and sub-720 on Xbone at 43fps. BELIEVE.

Why cross-gen?

Apart from that it looks good if it can improve on FC3, I liked that one. But being cross-gen will limit it a little. Let's wait and see I guess.

Well, Ubisoft like money so its probably something to do with that.

I don't really see all the fuss to be honest, can't wait to get it.

Top Bottom