• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT8| Made it to the Championship play-offs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShogunX

I don't think it works that way...

How many clubs were in the Europa this season?

We had Birmingham for their cup win, Stoke for finishing runners up to Man City in the FA cup and Spurs for finishing fifth.

Looks like it does work that way. But then it's only the Europa league so you don't want to be in it anyway...

Kyoufu

Overall performance of Benfica was not special. They're the home team, they had more possession. SHOCK AND AWE!

Chelsea had better chances and actually put one away.

How many clubs were in the Europa this season?

We had Birmingham for their cup win, Stoke for finishing runners up to Man City in the FA cup and Spurs for finishing fifth.

Looks like it does work that way. But then it's only the Europa league so you don't want to be in it anyway...

That doesn't prevent 5th and 6th from a spot in the qualifiers/tournament though.

Not that I care obviously :p

FootballFan

casillas and valdes have the easiest jobs in the world sometimes lol

Yeah but it is hard to play like them, be watching the game for 50minutes then out of the blue having to make a save. Both do their job really well when needed.

So excited for Milan-Barca tomorrow!! Wooo. Messi might add to his 12 CL goals this season and break the record for most goals in a single CL campaign. Ibrahimovic vs Pique will be good too.

Carbonox

I don't think it works that way...

They'd get a Europe spot because the team they'll play (either Spurs or Chelsea should Chelsea go through to the final) are pretty much guaranteed a Europe spot already. That means the spot passes down to the runners up in the final. This also means that a spot is removed from the league standings.

Liverpool already have a Europa League spot also due to winning the Carling Cup, so that only leaves one final English team getting in, which would be 5th spot.

That's if I'm understanding it correctly. It's a fucking complicated rule. :(

As a side note: I'm eating my first bit of solid food since before my surgery on Friday. FEELS GOOD MAN.

Obviously. The referees do all the work for them!

Haha, Robben is going to rape him.

DiMariaAlegria%28Alex%29.jpg

Overall performance of Benfica was not special. They're the home team, they had more possession. SHOCK AND AWE!

Chelsea had better chances and actually put one away.

They did not have more possession. 50|50. They had more attacks, shots on targets, shots off target.

Sloosha

And their chances second half don't even compare to the goal we scored.

I was just about to say the same. Arguing stats is starting to get into Doicare territory. Anyway, Benfica were unlucky with the penalty decision and maybe a draw would have been the fair result, but in the end arguing about who deserves to win a game is a futile endeavor.

Omikron

West Ham United have equalled the club record for away league wins in a season, matching the eleven achieved in 1922/23 and 1957/58.

Pity they have had so many home draws.

elseanio

You got four credits on your card? I missed the Oldham game (Have three credits) so will have to see if I get sorted or go through another ballot to see if I can get a ticket.

Was hoping for a Sunderland win purely for selfish reasons of wanting an easy ticket.

Yeah, I opted for the autocup from Oldham. Ballot will be a lot less than the CCF I reckon. You have a decent chance with 3 stubs

It kinda compares to the goal from the penalty that should have been called.

Absolutely, but we were talking about overall performance. Also, the uncalled penalty.

Again that pen that the pundits think wasn't a pen and that the officials don't think was a pen either.

Oh but that's right, you can't trust English pundits according to murph, but yet we are supposed to take his word despite him admitting to be bias toward Portuguese teams.

However will we solve this one?

Chelsea hit the post (should have scored). What did Benfica do?

Ask Čech.

Also in case you missed it:

Benfica | Chelsea

Attempts on target: 8 | 3
Attempts off target: 9 | 7
Attempts against woodwork: 0 | 1
Corners: 8 | 4
Attacks: 38 | 30
Offsides: 0 | 4
Fouls commited: 9 | 17

More chances. Right.

Again that pen that the pundits think wasn't a pen and that the officials don't think was a pen either.

Oh but that's right, you can't trust English pundits according to murph, but yet we are supposed to take his word despite him admitting to be bias toward Portuguese teams.

However will we solve this one?

Really? How do we solve it? LOOK AT THE FOOTAGE!

It's that freaking obvious.

FootballFan

4-0 at Allianz
1-3 at Madrid

Your left winger is dead. Lahm plays as RB.

Ronaldo is their LW.. Not many out there that can stop him. Puyol does it regularly and Alves has done it couple times. Lahm vs Ronaldo would be awesome to watch though.

Kyoufu

Ask Čech.

Benfica | Chelsea

More chances. Right.

Torres created a goal. That means these statistics mean nothing :p

Andrefpvs

Chelsea hit the post (should have scored). What did Benfica do?

David Luiz cleared the ball on top of the goal line, Cardozo missed a one-on-one chance in the first half, Gaitan missed an arguably easy header right on top of Cech. And once again, the penalty.

Chelsea had an average shot from Meireles from outside the box, a pretty good chance to score (the one that hit the post), and the goal.

Are you serious? Just because they take a really awful dog shit shot from 25 yards away that goes into the Z Row doesn't mean they're playing better.

Now I'm thinking you just didn't pay attention to the game. Did you really miss all those plays I just wrote above?

ShogunX

It feels like Gary Neville is in this thread.

Maybe the Portuguese version of him. Only one fact matters at the end of a football match and that's the final score. Doesn't matter how well you think a team has played or how much possession, shots or clear cut chances they had it all means nothing if they don't put the ball in the net.

Torres created a goal. That means these statistics mean nothing :p

*edit* Too slow for Ninja edit. Guess you changed your mind.

Read:

David Luiz cleared the ball on top of the goal line, Cardozo missed a one-on-one chance in the first half, Gaitan missed an arguably easy header right on top of Cech. And once again, the penalty.

Chelsea had an average shot from Meireles from outside the box, a pretty good chance to score (the one that hit the post), and the goal.

Seriously, did you watch the game?

Ask Čech.

Benfica | Chelsea

More chances. Right.

Really? How do we solve it? LOOK AT THE FOOTAGE!

It's that freaking obvious.
I looked at the footage, I took various factors in to consideration, I even looked at your wonderful stats that aren't a kick in the arse off 50|50. I listened to the guys who get paid to analyse the games. Best of all I looked at the score line.

All that said, the only people who seem to be in disagreement are a few guys who support Portuguese teams, one of which (you) who admitted to being bias.

elsk

Banned
ronaldo-laugh-2-cristiano-ronaldo-19817037-200-178.gif

and if it does happen, we'll just buy your best players :D

You already did: Altintop.
Yeah, like you did with Ribéry 2 years ago, right?

Ronaldo is their LW.. Not many out there that can stop him. Puyol does it regularly and Alves has done it couple times. Lahm vs Ronaldo would be awesome to watch though.

If Alves can stop him, then Lahm is going to make him disappear haha. Lahm is the best full back out there.

Luiz had a really great game tonight. The match was fairly even as far as I see Benefica was nothing special neither was Chelsea but you won't find me complaining about the win.

ShogunX

Oh I see. I mean, I don't care about Europa but obviously the fans and club do so meh.

I'd still rather see Liverpool lose to Everton :p

Everybody in the thread bar Liverpool fans want us to lose to Everton. A weekend without a bit of Suarez hate or some good old Lolerpool is a pretty bad weekend on here.

I looked at the footage, I took various factors in to consideration, I even looked at your wonderful stats that aren't a kick in the arse off 50|50. I listened to the guys who get paid to analyse the games. Best of all I looked at the score line.

All that said, the only people who seem to be in disagreement are a few guys who support Portuguese teams, one of which who admitted to bias.

Bwahahaha. Because scores always represent the fairness of a game right? Specially 0-1 scores.

Also I never admitted, I was accused and tossed it aside. I think my previous post history here shows how much I dislike Benfica.

Kyoufu

Everybody in the thread bar Liverpool fans want us to lose to Everton. A weekend without a bit of Suarez hate or some good old Lolerpool is a pretty bad weekend on here.

Nothing against the club, but Everton are the underdogs so it'd be nice to see them have something to cheer about. Heck, if they win the FA Cup it'd be amazing.

MPW

You already did: Altintop.
Yeah, like you did with Ribéry 2 years ago, right?

If Alves can stop him, then Lahm is going to make him disappear haha. Lahm is the best full back out there.

ronaldo > ribery

plus, ronaldo can selll jerseys, unlike ribery

if madrid really wanted someone from bayern, we would probably get him, make a crazy offer (like ronaldo for 80m)

Only if you're a Liverpool fan and its mainly done because you guys (over)react so well. ;P

Can see where you are coming from but I wouldn't want anybody associated with Everton FC win a raffle never mind an FA cup!!

SAVED!

Pretty obvious to anybody with a pair of eyes that you may be a die hard Porto supporter but you want Portuguese teams to do well in Europe against foreign opposition.

Bwahahaha. Because scores always represent the fairness of a game right? Specially 0-1 scores.

Also I never admitted, I was accused and tossed it aside. I think my previous post history here shows how much I dislike Benfica.
Tell you what mate, you win. All other factors, opinions professional and amateur alike, score line and bias aside. You got this one, I think it was your stats that were as near like for like as be damned.

FootballFan

Alves' defending is underrated seeing as he plays right-wing most of the game lol. I am not saying he is Maldini but he certainly is no Bosingwa when it comes to defending.

I don't mind Liverpool. Carroll, Henderson, Downing and Adam do make it hard to like them. Speaking of Liverpool I watched the Istanbul final dvd yesterday, so good. Kaka was a beast. The interviews right after the game though, I could not understand Carragher lol.

elsk

Banned
ronaldo > ribery

plus, ronaldo can selll jerseys, unlike ribery

if madrid really wanted someone from bayern, we would probably get him, make a crazy offer (like ronaldo for 80m)

Ronaldo was 100m euros, iirc. You can't buy players from the starting XI of Bayern, or german internationals.
Someone offered 80m for Ribéry, and they rejected it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom