• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For you personally, what's been the best/funnest game of this gen so far?

Pure fun these three were tops for me,

1. Halo 3

I put too much time into this game. I stayed up until 3 in the morning on way too many school nights playing custom games or messing around in Forge with friends. The campaign co-op was fun enough for me to run through it at least 20 times with different groups of people, and it was always fun. I wish Reach had been able to keep me hooked like this but unfortunately that didn't happen. I'm still super hyped for Halo 4 though.

2. Crackdown

Most addicting game ever for me. Replayed it at least 30 times. Orb hunting was amazing.

3. Gears of War

Execution in the first Gears was the only thing I played from the time Gears came out until BioShock(with the exception of Crackdown). It was more about skill than most shooters now, and the community was very competitive. Lots of friendly and not so friendly trash talk that is absent from XBL these days. Despite the fact there were two sequels, neither had me hooked like the original.

Mindlog

There were so many fun games. It's hard not to mention the local zaniness of, 'You Don't Know Jack.'

However, if I had to pick one title right now that I really liked and will remember 10 years from now... it's Alpha Protocol...

I did not see that coming.
Maybe I'll come back and revisit this, but for now my answer is Alpha Protocol.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
The game I've had the most fun with this generation is Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G.

Well, technically that's last generation now... But, whatever.

dgn_little_big_planet_boxart.jpg

Including 2 and soon to be Vita. Aside from just putzing around in the creator, spending insane amounts of hours and having a blast with it in general, it actually helped me get in the games industry and even led to getting a Guinness World Record. xD

Thanks Mm. ^^

641161_225718_front.jpg

The other game I've spent (and still spend) stupid hours on and was the first game I bothered to Platinum. 4 player versus madness with solid net code, especially with GAF. With some of my favorite mobile suits on top of being an amazing and rather well balanced non-conventional fighting game, EXVS has made for great endless nights. It's no wonder this game was #1 in the JP arcade fighting game scene last year, with it's sequel in second this year close behind P4U. It's so damn great.

I hope it somehow gets brought to the States officially (or its sequel that's out in JP arcades now) so a lot of y'all can experience this fucking gem of a game.

ultrazilla

Duke Nukem Forever

Terribly, terribly underrated and not deserving of all the bad press nor reviews imo.

Kaisersoze, where are you?

Dota 2, World Of Warcraft, Team Fortress 2, Dawn of War 2, Mass Effect 2, League Of Legends, Demon/Dark souls are my personal favorites over the last 8 years.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm afraid to admit this but...

Cooking Mama (NDS)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Probably Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. I must have completed it at least half a dozen times by now. I realise that Uncharted 2 is the better game overall, but there's just something about the original that I love. Maybe, at least partially, it's the setting; an uncharted (ha!) island tickles my inner child, which read Wally's World and Wally's History of the World while wondering about long-lost civilisations and treasures.

Revan

SMG/SMG2
MGS4
All the Assassin's Creed games (especially the first one - the setting and period are things I've always wanted in a game)
Red Dead Redemption

Razek

Banned
Borderlands. Hopefully Borderlands 2 takes that spot.

I still cannot believe people call this game 'boring'. It was amazing for me.

Runner Up:
2.Oblivion PS3

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Mario Galaxy 1/2

Burnout Paradise

xJavonta

Banned
Nevermind, just looked to the left of me and was reminded of what the best game of this gen was.

Rock Band.

So many hours put into that game, and sooo much money. All of it was worth it though, since the late night Rock Band sessions with friends/family are ridiculously fun and I'll always smile when playing it.

Tobe

so many games, brawl with casual friends, sf4 and super sf4, then marvel. single player bayonetta i had lots of fun hell i got everything in that game. catherine also.

Deadbeat

Banned
Stalker.

iavpC.jpg

Its survival horror singleplayer had the best atmosphere going. Exploration for loot and artifacts above ground while fighting mutants underground. The game catches you off guard many times.

Multiplayer was also amazing but never caught on sadly except in the combloc where the iron curtain guarantees a ping of at least 250ms. The multplayer feels a bit like counterstrike in terms of buying equipment with money. Different weapons and upgrades along with equipment and armor. Even the bigger maps were great with small player amounts based on the ambiance and the map layout. The game never gave the hint but you could climb most buildings and perch yourself on ledges. This means anyone could be anywhere. The game got really hard because of this but it was something special while it lasted.

Probably Gears of War 1. Even though remember being really disappointed at no Brumack fight.

I really feel like it was the first next gen experience, as such it's hard for what comes after to capture that amazing feeling.

Just like the current Halo's may be good games, but they cant recapture that amazing feeling Halo 1 had, by nature. Because it was the first one.

Shadybiz

I had a lot of fun with BLOPS, but only because I had never been able to play with 6 friends at a time before. Every Thursday night, we would get on and dominate in Ground War.

Vaporak

These are, I think, the best games in their respected categories that have come out this "gen".

PC: Starcraft 2: Wings of Liberty.
Console: Darksouls.
Handheld: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney.

-Stranger-

Just a few that come to mind...

EDIT: Read the title as funniest lol

Battlefield 3 - For pure fun factor, probably suck nearly 300hours into multiplayer.

Acrylic7

kz2 multiplayer
Gears 1 multiplayer
Resistance 1 Fall of Man. split screen Co-op was the best.

The true answer for everyone in this thread should be Twisted Metal but alas....... Matchmaking error :/

Top Bottom