• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G1 Climax 24 |OT| New Japan Pro-Wrestling

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghostmind

This is a must-win for Shibata to stay in contention.

Gallows sucks at timing and selling and pretty much everything,

Whelp.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
This is a must-win for Shibata to stay in contention.

Gallows sucks at timing and selling and pretty much everything,

Whelp.

did...did shibata just lose to gallows? o_O

ghostmind

Gallows threw his arms up to protect himself when Shibata did his flying drop-kick.

Take it like a man you little big bitch.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Im watching Shibata vs Honma day 8

im a grown ass 35 year old man

I cant sit still in my chair im like a child I sware to god

This is the future of the company, and it's shitty as hell.

If you really think Doc Gallows is the future of the company, I don't know what to say - Shibata wasn't winning the whole thing this year, but he got big wins over Tanahashi & Nakamura. Isn't that enough? I guess not.

Only you could be so utterly pessimistic about New Japan amid one of the best tournaments in recent memory.

Rhaknar

HONMA JUST DID A STANDING FLYING HEADBUT TO SHIBATA AND IT LOOKED RIDICULOUS AND AMAZING

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
If you really think Doc Gallows is the future of the company, I don't know what to say - Shibata wasn't winning the whole thing this year, but he got big wins over Tanahashi & Nakamura. Isn't that enough? I guess not.

Only you could be so utterly pessimistic about New Japan amid one of the best tournaments in recent memory.

Every G1 is 'one of the best tournaments in recent memory.' I'm sure I could find posts of you saying the exact same thing last year and the year before that. This tournament has been incredibly disappointing to me because of A) the lack of new talent and B) The lack of a build for new talent other than two slobs who shouldn't be in the tournament in the first place. No matter how amazing the matches might be, it doesn't matter when I know what it's building up to and what ti's not building up to. Just like Ricochet won Super Jr, and I have yet to see ANYTHING built off of it. It's like New Japan decides 'ok tournaments over back to your regular programming' and this will be no different.

Sorry if I'm not going to get excited about G1 where the big push wins are Shelton Benjamin, Festus, and Bad Luck Fale. And the usual Tanahashi, Shinsuke, Okada-fest. I don't even like AJ, but he's been one of the few spotlights on this tournament of someone different.

Sorry, it may be a little over the top, but I'm not excited about NJPW's future if they keep drifting like this. It's all in the now. There doesn't feel like a bright future being built.

ghostmind

Fale is leagues better than Gallows in New Japan. That dojo training probably has a lot to do with that.

I'm totally ok with them giving him the monster push.

Great match!

Dragonzord, you'd have a point if only there weren't like 15 MOTY contenders from this G1.

They're winning today, tomorrow will take care of itself. Or not, whatever.

You're still bent out of shape about Naito, amazing. Not sure what New Japan are supposed to do about a significant section of the audience turning on him.

Every G1 is 'one of the best tournaments in recent memory.' I'm sure I could find posts of you saying the exact same thing last year and the year before that.

You probably could, because the match quality in the G1 is always off the charts, especially last year with the tough schedule and even more so this year.

Dragonzord said:
Just like Ricochet won Super Jr, and I have yet to see ANYTHING built off of it. It's like New Japan decides 'ok tournaments over back to your regular programming' and this will be no different.

They didn't build anything off it because a) he's an outside guy not contracted to New Japan and b) because he fucking LOST his title shot. Also, how the fuck can you say it'll be no different for the G1 when the winner (presuming it's not AJ) wins a title shot at the biggest show of the year and the next 4 months will be spent building towards that?

Dragonzord said:
Sorry if I'm not going to get excited about G1 where the big push wins are Shelton Benjamin, Festus, and Bad Luck Fale. And the usual Tanahashi, Shinsuke, Okada-fest. I don't even like AJ, but he's been one of the few spotlights on this tournament of someone different.

The big pushes, beside Okada/Shinsuke/Tana, have been Shibata, Fale, Styles, Suzuki & Naito. Also, you might be sick of Okada/Shinsuke/Tana, but the paying audience aren't and New Japan have two domes to sell out in the next four months.

*edit, I get your point about there being no 'bright future' that they're building towards - they need a rival for Okada from his generation and there aren't any candidates.

Rhaknar

so whats happening guys? is it looking like Nak v Okada at least?

and I assume Tanahashi v AJ now that shibata cant?

Yeah, Styles got dumped on the point of his skull by that spider German from Makabe, looked rough.

Rhaknar said:
so whats happening guys? is it looking like Nak v Okada at least?

and I assume Tanahashi v AJ now that shibata cant?

As it stands, the final is Nakamura vs Styles - however, if Tanahashi wins then Nakamura is out of the running, so it'll be Tanahashi vs Styles, but if Okada beats Suzuki then Styles will be out of the running, so yeah, some combination of; Tanahashi/Nakamura vs Styles/Okada for the finals.

Rhaknar

jesus christ Okada, I know yujiro is a dick but you dont have to almost decapitate the man with Rainmaker o_O

I had to watch it again it was so stiff lol

you guys werent kidding about day 8, and I assume Tanahashi vs Nakamura wont disapoint either

This.

Shibata's big wins already means he is credible title challenger.

ghostmind

Okada was clearly out of his element against Suzuki, but he persevered.

So hyped for the finals!!!

NAKAMURA VS. OKADA

FINALLY!

Rhaknar

will the final day have more matches than the ones announced on the OP?

seems like a small show if not

also Nak vs Okada and Tana vs AJ both could be amazing

Suzuki's bump on the Rainmaker was disgusting, what a match though - Suzuki is a fucking master at structuring his bouts, while Okada sold like a goddamn champ for him (the way he crumbled after the big punch from Suzuki, for instance. Perfect).

Rhaknar said:
will the final day have more matches than the ones announced on the OP?

seems like a small show if not

Yeah, it'll likely have 10 matches - probably some random tag matches, but also maybe a NEVER or Intercontinental Title defence.

NJPW, "G1 CLIMAX - FINAL", 2014/08/10
Seibu Dome

15:00 JST | 08:00 EU | 07:00 UK | 02:00 EDT | 23:00 PDT

01. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Titles: Time Splitters (Alex Shelley & KUSHIDA) © vs reDRagon (Bobby Fish & Kyle O'Reilly)
02. Special Tag Match: Jushin 'Thunder' Liger & Captain New Japan vs Adam Cole & Mike Bennett
03. G1 Climax Special Singles Match:
Hiroshi Tanahashi vs AJ Styles
04. 24th G1 Climax FINAL:
Shinsuke Nakamura vs Kazuchika Okada

Surprised they're going with Okada/Nakamura so early. I thought they would save that for Wrestle Kingdom. Still super hyped, though. Tana/AJ should be a lot of fun too. Can't wait for the finals.

Rhaknar

Surprised they're going with Okada/Nakamura so early. I thought they would save that for Wrestle Kingdom. Still super hyped, though. Tana/AJ should be a lot of fun too. Can't wait for the finals.

isnt wrestle kingdom the january show? wont that be Okada vs AJ rematch for the title? thats what I thought this whole G1 was leading to

isnt wrestle kingdom the january show? wont that be Okada vs AJ rematch for the title? thats what I thought this whole G1 was leading to

I think it'll be Nakamura vs. AJ. A fresh match-up would mean more for that show than the 4th match between Styles and Okada.

The working theory was that Okada defeats AJ on the opening night of the G1 to set up a title shot (which he did), loses to Shinsuke in the final, wins the belt from Styles at the next PPV and then defends the belt vs Nakamura at Wrestle Kingdom.

I thought either Okada or Nakamura would win the G1 while the other would beat AJ prior to Wrestle Kingdom. A CHAOS civil war type angle seemed like a big thing to me. Not that I mind though. AJ's been so fantastic since going to NJPW that he can hold that title as long as he wants as far as I'm concerned.

The working theory was that Okada defeats AJ on the opening night of the G1 to set up a title shot (which he did), loses to Shinsuke in the final, wins the belt from Styles at the next PPV and then defends the belt vs Nakamura at Wrestle Kingdom.

I don't see Styles dropping the belt before WK. If that was the case and they planned on doing Nak vs. Okada in January, why do it now and not let WK be the first big match-up between the two?

I think the more likely scenario is that Styles keeps the IWGP belt and Tanahashi wins the IC belt between now and WK. Then you have Tana/Okada for the IC belt and Nak/Styles for the IWGP title.

I don't see Styles dropping the belt before WK. If that was the case and they planned on doing Nak vs. Okada in January, why do it now and not let WK be the first big match-up between the two?

Because there hasn't been any build for it - this way Nakamura can beat Okada to really set up their rivalry and the implications it'll have for CHAOS as a whole. Then the pay-offs at Wrestle Kingdom.

Because there hasn't been any build for it - this way Nakamura can beat Okada to really set up their rivalry and the implications it'll have for CHAOS as a whole. Then the pay-offs at Wrestle Kingdom.

Maybe. I'd be fine with either scenario honestly. They both make sense and would lead to great matches.

Kymbo

Watch Day 4, if you haven't already. Day 7 and 8 are two of the other top days so far.

If you want to see what the Wrestlemania-equivalent for NJPW is like, then seek out Wrestle Kingdom 8. That will also give you a taste of what the other divisions (Juniors, tag, etc) in NJPW are like.

Thanks for the info, I'll be catching up with G1 over the weekend and will definitely be having a look at Wrestle Kingdom.

Maybe. I'd be fine with either scenario honestly. They both make sense and would lead to great matches.

Definitely, Nakamura vs Styles would be a great main event for the Tokyo Dome, but it'd mean they either ignore Okada's win over AJ or Okada takes another loss to Styles.

Incidentally, now the block stage is done, here's the potential title challengers for the various belts;

IWGP Heavyweight Title: Styles vs Okada, Naito

IWGP Intercontinental Title: Bad Luck Fale vs Shelton, Kojima, Gallows, Davey Boy

NEVER Openweight Title: Yujiro Takahashi vs Goto, Tenzan, Suzuki, Anderson, Okada, Styles

For the NEVER belt you can obviously discount Okada & Suzuki who ain't got time for that shit, Anderson & AJ because they're Bullet Club, leaving Goto & Tenzan as possible challengers. For the IC title Gallows wouldn't challenge as a fellow Bullet Club member, but Shelton, Kojima & Davey Boy could be pretty good matches for Fale. I'd like to see Kojima get a run with the title, or Davey. Lastly, the IWGP title - if Styles is holding the belt until Wrestle Kingdom, then defences against Okada & Naito will cover him until Power Struggle in November, which is usually the final defence before Wrestle Kingdom.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Seibu Dome show announced in full:

1. Special Eight Man Tag Match: Lance Archer, Davey Boy Smith Jr., TAKA Michinoku & El Desperado vs. Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Satoshi Kojima, Tiger Mask & Ryusuke Taguchi
2. Special Six Man Tag Match: Bad Luck Fale, Doc Gallows & Yujiro Takahashi vs. Togi Makabe, Yuji Nagata & Manabu Nakanishi
3. Special Six Man Tag Match: Mioru Suzuki, Takashi Iizuka & Shelton Benjamin vs. Toru Yan, Kazushi Sakuraba & YOSHI-HASHI
4. Special Tag Match: Jushin Thunder Liger & Captain New Japan vs. Adam Cole & Michael Bennett (w/ Maria Kanellis)
5. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Title: Alex Shelley & KUSHIDA (c) vs. Kyle O'Reilly & Bobby Fish
6. G1 Climax 24 Special Singles Match: Tetsuya Naito vs. Tomoaki Honma
7. G1 Climax 24 Special Singles Match: Tomohiro Ishii vs. Karl Anderson
8. G1 Climax 24 Special Singles Match: Hirooki Goto vs. Katsuyori Shibata
9. G1 Climax Special Singles Match: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. AJ Styles
10. G1 Climax - Final: Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Kazuchika Okada

Please god let Nakanishi rest.

jred2k

G1 Tournament over and we're right back to Yano vs. Suzuki. Not a lot of compelling stuff going on in that first half of the card, but from the tag title match on it's gonna be real fucking dope. I'll be interested to see how Adam Cole does in New Japan. Couldn't care less about Bennett, but at least he'll probably bring Maria along.

Kornflayx

HONMA JUST DID A STANDING FLYING HEADBUT TO SHIBATA AND IT LOOKED RIDICULOUS AND AMAZING

It was indeed amazing

eVHLQBm.gif

Amjtoam.gif

XenoRaven

There's a certain charm to Honma's gimmick, but he's a legit wrestler when his number is called which makes me sad that he always loses.

Seibu Dome show announced in full:

1. Special Eight Man Tag Match: Lance Archer, Davey Boy Smith Jr., TAKA Michinoku & El Desperado vs. Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Satoshi Kojima, Tiger Mask & Ryusuke Taguchi
2. Special Six Man Tag Match: Bad Luck Fale, Doc Gallows & Yujiro Takahashi vs. Togi Makabe, Yuji Nagata & Manabu Nakanishi
3. Special Six Man Tag Match: Mioru Suzuki, Takashi Iizuka & Shelton Benjamin vs. Toru Yan, Kazushi Sakuraba & YOSHI-HASHI
4. Special Tag Match: Jushin Thunder Liger & Captain New Japan vs. Adam Cole & Michael Bennett (w/ Maria Kanellis)
5. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Title: Alex Shelley & KUSHIDA (c) vs. Kyle O'Reilly & Bobby Fish
6. G1 Climax 24 Special Singles Match: Tetsuya Naito vs. Tomoaki Honma
7. G1 Climax 24 Special Singles Match: Tomohiro Ishii vs. Karl Anderson
8. G1 Climax 24 Special Singles Match: Hirooki Goto vs. Katsuyori Shibata
9. G1 Climax Special Singles Match: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. AJ Styles
10. G1 Climax - Final: Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Kazuchika Okada

Please god let Nakanishi rest.

That final 6 looks fantastic.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Naito vs Honma should be a lot of fun and he might get a win there, even though it's after the fact. How will Naito be received at the Dome?

Naito should be fine, it's only the Korakuen & Osaka crowds that seem to have a problem with him - I don't think Honma's winning though, as Naito has a win over AJ and will likely be in line for a title shot at some point. He's not in the best position to put Honma over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom