• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bombcast - | 09-09-2014 |

K.Sabot

Kill la Kill is a bad anime, despite being made by good anime makers, and that's how they trick you into watching it.

I'm convinced that's how the people I know will themselves into thinking it's good.

"It's craaazier and more random than Gurren Lagann, it has to be good"

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
While I think kill la kill is ok it pretty much ticks every box of stuff that people who dislike anime, think what anime is.

K.Sabot

Now we can speculate what type of anime dan would like in the gb ot.

I'd say something not too serious but not at all stupid. Would have to be actiony.

Probably something like a Cowboy Bebop or Darker Than Black Season 1. Can't be too thematically complex either.

That means Destiny 2 will be one of the best games of this gen

If they take that art style and core gameplay but make a better game around it and actually tell a story with the story missions and streamline the orbit system and let you can start story missions while in the explore mode. Maybe.

The beta felt like they removed a bunch of cutscenes and dialogue to avoid spoilers. Knowing the entire game is razor thin like that is a real bummer. Makes the in game story of something like Borderlands 1 look like Skyrim or The Wticher in comparison.

K.Sabot

Certainly one of the better podcasts this year, I was cracking up nearly the entire time (save for the destiny bummer talk).

studyguy

Studio Trigger alone is an example of just how different things can be from show to show. On one end they have Kill la Kill and on the complete opposite spectrum is Little Witch Academia which blows it the fuck away imo. All in the same studio. Granted it's different directors, but still.

tumblr_mmwwnaEr5S1s3cymjo1_500.gif

vs
npfygqgdstojazqlrwo8.gif

Anime is a great many things, not one of them has to be the same from show to show. Also just give him something vanilla for suggestions. Doesn't even need to be a show, just give him some OVA or film.

Also Destiny talk is pretty much what I expected.
Why are we still talking anime? Why are we not talking wrasslan

Alfredo

Someone's going to ruin anime for Dan now, and a charity will be deprived money, lol.

Someone send Dan Perfect Blue and Millennium Actress, and trick him into watching them by saying it inspired movies like The Wrestler (which is true, btw).

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Yeah, this seems to be exactly the kind of show people would watch and make a judgement on the entire medium with.

...Um, why would he watch 10 minutes of Kill la Kill, of all shows?
To be fair, people in public and on this very board talk up that show to be the next coming of Gozer. It's truly a piece of shit, but anime fans generally haven't had great taste in a decade.

Man Jeff's Destiny opinions match how I felt coming off the "beta", which was exactly the same thing as the "alpha", save the last day Moon addition. I was so tired of just doing that again that I let most of the beta go by. Having not purchased the full game, I wont sit here and rail on it too much, but "Light on content", "Small as hell", and "No matchmaking for raids" were exactly why I felt the need to give Destiny a pass.

Kyou

Watching Kill la Kill as an introduction to anime is like wanting to try out recreational drugs and starting by injecting heroine into your eyes

Yeah Destiny is going to get 3/5

Just starting out (never played the beta or alpha) but when my second mission was go back to the place you were the first time I audibly groaned. Im going to give it till the end of my days off next Tuesday and then sell it I think, too many good games this fall to keep this.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Wait, am I to understand dans introduction to anime is with Kill La Kill? Good lord lol

I haven't finished KLK yet, got kinda bored near the end. At first I thought it was really smart for being a parody of other fan service amines, but when a parody is doing the same things or worse, is it still a parody?

I still liked it but yeah, watching that as a first anime is crazy

The last email was great, and makes me wish I bought a China Don't Care shirt.
Also I still miss Ryan... :(

Was Brad trying to reference the Noir genre?

The first half of KLK (besides the pilot) is liquid shit. But everything from the School Tour and onwards is preeeeeetty fun.

Way better things Brad could be spending his time doing than putting up with that first half, though. Like watching JoJo's.

I am not a anime guy but someone told me to give Kill La Kill a look. The Wikipedia cover art looked ok. The mostly naked anime lady fights where a bit of a surpris when I actually watched it.

It turns out cartoon smut isnt for me.

Bacon

If you get naturebox, it's mandatory that you get at least one package of Sriracha Roasted Cashews. Seriously, they're fucking amazing.

Top Bottom