• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bombcast - | 09-09-2014 |

Volotaire

These naturebox adverts are brilliant.

EDIT: I've really wanted to try food cooked sous vide. Maybe I should get a sous vide machine. Dan's cooking habits never cease to amaze me.

Celegus

My god. Dan did the impossible. Jeff was worried and disturbed about someone else's eating habits. JEFF. What is the world coming to?!

I didn't get very far into it, but Attack on Titan seems like it would be up Dan's alley if he's trying anime.

Jeff gave a nice big yawn early in the podcast while they were talking about the Siri stuff I think. Point being, Jeff and Brad are completely switching roles.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Jeff gave a nice big yawn early in the podcast while they were talking about the Siri stuff I think. Point being, Jeff and Brad are completely switching roles.
Or Jeff is sitting in the sleepy chair. Must be like a comfy lazy boy or something.

Slixshot

Banned
The way they talk about destiny makes me not want to play it... Still waiting for it from the post but god damn, it sounded like they had nothing positive to say other than that it looks good and the core mechanics are solid.

Three hours. That Destiny discussion should be interesting.

It was 43m of Jeff groaning about Destiny bookended by Naturebox spots :\

Wow they make Destiny sound not that great.

Jeff was never going to like that game, tbh. I would've much rather had Drew be the one to give impressions. Drew seems to have his expectations for what the game is and isn't tempered but is still looking forward to playing it with his friends. I think that's a healthy place to get some good impressions from. With Jeff, at times it seems that there is a pit of cynical anti-hype that a title-- especially one that has received a lot of press-- needs to crawl out from in order to make a dent with him.

The word of mouth on that game [The Evil Within] has been pretty bad since they first began showing it. I'm nervous about that game, want it to be good, but...

I was right there with you up until the most recent Game Informer preview. It sounds like it has made tremendous strides since its initial reveal. I still don't know if I'll grab it day 1, but I most likely will pick it up now at some point-- maybe if it's on sale during Black Friday. I really hope they give it to Patrick to review.

Still waiting for it from the post but god damn, it sounded like they had nothing positive to say other than that it looks good and the core mechanics are solid.

If you didn't play the Beta and are on the fence about the game. Definitely wait a week or two for people that you actually might play with, like people here on GAF, to settle in with the game and give some more balanced feedback.

eliochip

Why? He's a big fan of Borderlands and Diablo 3 and seemed willing to give the game a chance. All of his impressions come off as honest and not based off of some preconception.

He also played the shit out of Borderlands and got burnt out on that type of game a long time ago. Maybe he's just done with RPG FPS?

Why? He's a big fan of Borderlands and Diablo 3 and seemed willing to give the game a chance. All of his impressions come off as honest and not based off of some preconception.

He also played the shit out of Borderlands and got burnt out on that type of game a long time ago. Maybe he's just done with RPG FPS?

Jeff LOVED borderlands, Phantasy Star Online, and the Mass Effect series. Seems to be pretty into Diablo 3 and Deus Ex Human Revolution, as well. He has also reviewed previous bungie efforts and had given them 4/5. By all accounts, Destiny is a game that looked to be right up his alley.

To say that this game isn't for him and that he's jaded is to be in denial of all of this. If anything, I have often found that Jeff actually gives scores that are HIGHER than i would give them, like the controversial 8.8 he gave to Twilight Princess. So, i'd venture to say that he is more likely to give an inflated score than to ding a game for more than it should be dinged.

Bacon

Jeff came off the Destiny alpha with pretty strong impressions. If the game offered more varied mission structure, I could easily see Jeff enjoying this game a lot more than it sounds like he is.

LiK

Jeff came off the Destiny alpha with pretty strong impressions. If the game offered more varied mission structure, I could easily see Jeff enjoying this game a lot more than it sounds like he is.

Yea, Jeff was blown away by the first Borderlands but felt the second one was stale. I don't see how Destiny could hold his interest since it has even less things to do.

Dragon

Banned
"Man this bums me out" the video game, quotations brought to you by Jeff Gertsmann

Yea, Jeff was blown away by the first Borderlands but felt the second one was stale. I don't see how Destiny could old his interest since it has even less things to do.

Destiny mission design is awful, no getting around that. I won't reiterate my point about Jeff though, I already said it in the main thread.

Jeff was never going to like that game, tbh. I would've much rather had Drew be the one to give impressions. Drew seems to have his expectations for what the game is and isn't tempered but is still looking forward to playing it with his friends. I think that's a healthy place to get some good impressions from. With Jeff, at times it seems that there is a pit of cynical anti-hype that a title-- especially one that has received a lot of press-- needs to crawl out from in order to make a dent with him.

Jeff's criticisms are completely valid, though. It's not like he's stretching to make Destiny sound bad when, for example, he says the missions structures are all too similar and repetitive. If you've played the alpha/beta and watched all of the gameplay they've posted from review copies, it is incredibly repetitive.

All right, the truth behind Dan cheesing his way through college is fucked up in just the right ways for me to not hate him for it.

Still doesn't seem to grasp just what a lucky motherfucker he is though

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Also it's not like the destiny OT is full of positive impressions that run counter to everything that jeff said.

Fatbody

Which multiplatorm games looked worse on Xbox compared to PS2? MGS2 is the only one I can think of, otherwise everything else I remember looked and ran better on Xbox.

hamchan

Drugs Bunny?
The Stoner Brothers: Rick Scott & Scott Rick?
Link and Scorpion?

Man I need to watch this wrestling show.

BearPawB

Banned
I am level 15....Destiny is a really weird game.

The shooting is top notch.
Encounters are fun.

But...i find myself agreeing with Jeff. The structure of the game, just isn't compelling.
Like, it is flawed on such a fundamental level.

I have heard at max level it opens up...but that kind of gets to Jeff's point again

Which multiplatorm games looked worse on Xbox compared to PS2? MGS2 is the only one I can think of, otherwise everything else I remember looked and ran better on Xbox.
They didn't look worse, but EA didn't support Live for like a year or two whereas they were doing online gaming on the ps2.

But yeah, I can't really recall any game outside of mgs2 looking worse on the OG Xbox.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Jeff LOVED borderlands, Phantasy Star Online, and the Mass Effect series. Seems to be pretty into Diablo 3 and Deus Ex Human Revolution, as well. He has also reviewed previous bungie efforts and had given them 4/5. By all accounts, Destiny is a game that looked to be right up his alley.

To say that this game isn't for him and that he's jaded is to be in denial of all of this. If anything, I have often found that Jeff actually gives scores that are HIGHER than i would give them, like the controversial 8.8 he gave to Twilight Princess. So, i'd venture to say that he is more likely to give an inflated score than to ding a game for more than it should be dinged.

probably should repost/bookmark/take note of this post in the future when his review does eventually come out and people start shitting on him (again).

psylah

I talked to my dad, who has a restaurant selling smoked and grilled meat and other soul food, about Sous Vide. His response:

"Man, white people. They think up the stupidest ways to eat something normal."

Bacon

I can't imagine him giving Destiny less than a 3/5 but damn, what if he does? The meltdowns and jeff is just jaded posts would be a sight to see.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Agree with everything Jeff said after playing Destiny to level 4 last night and doing a few missions. It's decidedly "plain" so far.

With that said, I do have some of Brad's hope as well. I want to like the game, and just hope it gets more interesting very soon.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
From your first selectable mission in Destiny, you can select Hard modes. I did this myself.

From what I can tell from trying it just once, all it does is make enemies do more damage and turn them into bullet sponges. Seems like enemy numbers and tactics stay the same.

"My bathtub is clean there's always soap in there!"

Dan.

Dan. Dan please you're going to kill yourself.

Dan is going to be like one of those people who live into their 90s despite being a two-pack-a-day smoker. He's basically invulnerable.

Edit- I still think Girls Und Panzer would be the appropriate combination dumb and funny that Dan would appreciate.

Deadstar

Jeff doesn't play games with friends. Destiny seems like a game that you have to play with friends to have the most fun.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Can't help but feel my complete inability to get hyped about Destiny has been validated for all the same reasons I was skeptical about it.

Top Bottom