• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bombcast Live - 08/23/16 - Episode 444

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Biggest BS about Modern pentathlon is that there's a horse lottery. One hopeful I followed had bad luck and her horse didn't want to do anything and she was out of the whole thing because of it.

The ratings in the US were apparently not good.
It was down like 10%, still crushed everything else on TV for two weeks.

faridmon

The olympics talk was a bit dumb. I mean, it's one of the biggest (if not the biggest) sporting events in the world. "who watches it?" is a dumb thing to say.

Like, I get not being interested but it's not a fringe thing.

Trust me, the interest on this Rio Olympics have been very minimal. At least in the UK. Almost no one I know have watched it.

Trust me, the interest on this Rio Olympics have been very minimal. At least in the UK. Almost no one I know have watched it.

Most people I know followed it, also UK.

The time difference didn't help, most of the good stuff was on late at night and the replays were in the day during working hours.

The olympics talk was a bit dumb. I mean, it's one of the biggest (if not the biggest) sporting events in the world. "who watches it?" is a dumb thing to say.

The Olympics are just not on the same level as the International.

kiguel182

The ratings in the US were apparently not good.

The Olympics is watched all over the world.

Because of time zones in Europe has been hard to watch. Saying "I don't know anyone who watched it" really means nothing. It has no statistical relevance.

The Olympics here were on like 4 channels every day.

The Olympics are just not on the same level as the International.

Yup, Giant Bomb only covers the really relevant sports.

I often think when they talk about how they get a little frustrated with how the mainstream press talk about games, it must be how I feel listening to the bombcast talk about any sport in depth (especially when dismissing it).

I could have understood that post until the bolded part. Everyone I knew, at work and friends were all watching it. Different circles of friends
5.gif

Joey Ravn

Banned
Hyrule Warriors, trash? Oh, Alexa. I really liked you... but I can't anymore solely on principle.

Hyrule Warriors is a-ma-zing. And I give jack shit about Musou games!

It's my least favorite Bombcast thing.

Can't wait for them to dislike and complain about something in the future that gains a modicum of popularity and therefore they end up preemptively disliking it.

The opening to this almost makes me not want to continue. Why kick off the show with Jeff ranting? :

killroy87

It's my least favorite Bombcast thing.

Can't wait for them to dislike and complain about something in the future that gains a modicum of popularity and therefore they end up preemptively disliking it.

The opening to this almost makes me not want to continue. Why kick off the show with Jeff ranting? :

This isn't even close to peak Bombcast ignorance. They've been way worse than this.

J_Viper

Kind of a slow episode

Guess that's what happens when only Jeff played any new releases worth talking about, those being the TF2 beta and Deus Ex

Also, Brad's the man, but Jesus these e-mails...

Kusagari

I really wish someone else could curate the emails. It's incredibly obvious when someone else does it that Brad either intentionally picks shitty ones or just has no idea how to pick good ones.

This isn't even close to peak Bombcast ignorance. They've been way worse than this.
I didn't imply it is. It's just a pet peeve and beyond old to me at this point. It's also a crappy way to kickstart a multiple hour program with acting above the most mainstream thing of the moment. Compare it to a Beastcast opening. One invites you to be excited about listening, the other sometimes feels like a chore you do out of habit.

ScottFarRoad

Neo Member
I have a fear (maybe dumb) that if people grumble about Jeff's opinion about the Olympics not being very popular, which is perfectly reasonable, he might never talk about stuff in the popular culture again. It was just his anecdotal opinion. I loved the Olympics this year due to being British and having access to the BBC, yet I know people who aren't even aware it started.

I feel Jeff is already very hesitant about expressing his viewpoints on non-gaming stuff (see Batman vs Superman). I wish he'd be more carefree about it in general as I'd love to hear his thoughts on all sorts of stuff. He has a lot to say about non-gaming subjects than perhaps even he realises.

kvothe

I really wish someone else could curate the emails. It's incredibly obvious when someone else does it that Brad either intentionally picks shitty ones or just has no idea how to pick good ones.

Yeah, really. So often the emails now are just rehashes of emails or topics from last week but they add basically nothing interesting to the conversation.

Last week: Maybe No Man's Sky is for stoners.

This week: Hey Bombcast, I smoked weed and didn't enjoy No Man's Sky.

Whoa!!

Khezu

Jeff, don't listen those crazy people, Stand Alone Complex is just as boring if not more so then the first movie.

LiK

they barely mentioned the awesome Tokyo 2020 presentation with Mario at Closing Ceremony. It was hard to avoid on Twitter and GAF. At least Alexa watched it but I was hoping they all watched it.

they barely mentioned the awesome Tokyo 2020 presentation with Mario at Closing Ceremony. It was hard to avoid on Twitter and GAF. At least Alexa watched it but I was hoping they all watched it.

Was it awesome though?

While I enjoy a lot of the sports, I can't stand the pomp and garishness of the Olympics opening/closing ceremonies.

"this is too anime for me"

"that's not a road I can walk down"

"I only got halfway thru. I had to turn it off"

Brad. Please. Brad. BRAD. You ain't foolin' no one.

That 4K pores thing is something to think about; I remember people talking about the HD jump causing much more makeup usage.

Yeah 4k is a nightmare if isn't sports. I don't want to see peach fuzz or pores of actors and actresses or the realization that the background isn't a cave but styrofoam spray painted grey.

Olympics coverage in the US was a nightmare. You never got to see the odd sports and the highlights didn't put the event into perspective. No way to rewatch stuff unless you DVR it. So much diving and swimming but no shooting, wrestling, boxing. Would have been nice to at least get some of it besides waiting for track and field stuff to start.

Yeah 4k is a nightmare if isn't sports. I don't want to see peach fuzz or pores of actors and actresses or the realization that the background isn't a cave but styrofoam spray painted grey.

That's exactly what I want. Tear down the edifice. Or, you know, actually make them film on location.

Do you 4k naysayers also prefer 30 fps because it's more cinematic?

Seriously though, you guys have seen effective resolutions greater than 4k in the theater for decades and it hasn't been a problem.

Top Bottom