• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bombcast - 08/30/16 - Episode 445

daydream

Banned

gbcv_deckdzsco.png

Episode 445: Irish Tax Loophole - Date: 08/30/2016 - Duration:
03:09:35
- Download - Premium Live Video Archive

This is the true story of five dudes picked to sit in a room and start getting real about cheap foreign insulin, the brothers Myst, the No Man's Sky refund kerfuffle, Rocket League pangs, the Q4 video game outlook, large anime men, and Adam Jensen's metal behind.

Notes: Live video archive is for premium members only.

gbcv_castibsha.png

gbcv_250px_bradiusyl.png
gbcv_250px_jeffg8shk.png
gbcv_250px_drewxjstt.png
gbcv_250px_jasonk7sc1.png
jA4IjmR.png

tonka

Danny leaves early and they blame him for the length ha

Also, I like the barkerville sign. Great thread as always

Skyzard

Banned
I'm so glad they let it run "live" for a longer time. I caught it near the end, I'm basically still 2 hours in and still listening to it without that "stream is no longer live" / "it's offline!" message.

Saves me from having to wait ages for the edit and upload.

Thanks a lot.

jaina

I only noticed Simon Says on my second visit to this thread.

(I meant to repost youtube timestamp's, but nobody over there has done the work, yet)

Curufinwe

They talk about the weirdness of modern kids wearing Nirvana shirts and 90s kids wearing Beatles shirts, without mentioning their absent coworker whose work wardrobe is made up of t-shirts from bands from the 60s/70s.

convo

They also said the japanese realease date for Yakuza 6 ,but that still doesn't have a guaranteed english release date. But we will get Yakuza Zero early next year. It's too bad no one on the west coast has even seen a good recent Yakuza game being played.

LiK

They also said the japanese realease date for Yakuza 6 ,but that still doesn't have a guaranteed english release date. But we will get Yakuza Zero early next year. It's too bad no one on the west coast has even seen a good recent Yakuza game being played.

also no Austin so i doubt we'll get another good Beast crew QL for it.

Johndoey

Banned
It's mostly low hanging fruit and hasn't had much variety since the early ones
Yeah, some of it can be alright, but it really is on the nose and repetitive now.

I guess there is value in being blunt but none of the satire is insightful or clever.

Megasoum

Banned
They talk about the weirdness of modern kids wearing Nirvana shirts and 90s kids wearing Beatles shirts, without mentioning their absent coworker whose work wardrobe is made up of t-shirts from bands from the 60s/70s.

The difference os that Dan actually likes those bands and their music. He's not wearing this to be trendy.

tonka

The difference os that Dan actually likes those bands and their music. He's not wearing this to be trendy.

Indeed, there are many weird and sometimes frustrating things about Dan Ryckert, but I've always felt he was earnest in his enjoyment of Skynrd and Thin Lizzy et cetera

"Lupin" is classical French literature first, anime second. I feel like Brad would have known that.

Brad also knew a good bit about Trails of Cold Steel 2 during those release talks but is trying to keep that naughty "Anime Editor" sign off his desk again ever since Austin left but we're on to you, Brad.

It's mostly low hanging fruit and hasn't had much variety since the early ones

A bunch of stuff Jeff comment on is just theming at this point. I don't believe that Rockstar continues to do "ammunation" because its still funny as much as they know a large percentage of their audience expects that to be in their GTA game. The story of GTA V wasn't much of a commentary of America as it was a parody of the A-team.

Volcynika

Brad also knew a good bit about Trails of Cold Steel 2 during those release talks but is trying to keep that naughty "Anime Editor" sign off his desk again ever since Austin left but we're on to you, Brad.

Well, at least for the 404'ing it panel at PAX, it does list this:

Brad Shoemaker [Anime Editor, Giant Bomb]

IT WILL NEVER LEAVE HIM.

For anyone on the Bombcast looking in and wondering how Polyphony keeps going, is Sony propping them up? They simply sell lots of copies. GT5 cost 60 million to make, even being very conservative factoring in price drops it has to have done 200-250 million and you also had some decent DLC for GT5. GT5P probably paid for GT5 before hand.

g5Zb.jpg

I doubt GT6 cost anything close to 60 million to make, should be a decent profit there even though they released while PS4 was out and was kind of silly. I skipped it but bought the previous titles and will get a PS4 one day for GT Sport.

GT6 also passed 5 million, this is an older picture

For anyone on the Bombcast looking in and wondering how Polyphony keeps going, is Sony propping them up? They simply sell lots of copies. GT5 cost 60 million to make even being very conservative factoring in price drops it has to have done 200-250 million and you also had some decent DLC for GT5. GT5P probably paid for GT5 before hand.

g5Zb.jpg

The old joke was that basically every single GT game on its own (pre GT6) outsold the entire Forza franchise at the time. Gran Turismo was a sales beast. GT6 not so much but it was released at a bad time on the wrong platform.

Still... PD are a shit studio who have been coasting or making bad decisions since GT3. Kind of want GT Sport to fail just to light a fire under them.

Yeah, future of GT might not be so rosy, I think GT6 was a misstep others claim the genre or GT is dying. We'll have to see what GT Sport is, how much it cost to make and sales first. I would've thought a GT7 on PS4 releasing in 2018/19 would've been back to business for PD but we'll never know.

Regarding Forza sales, with Horizon and Motorsport releasing each year I'm sure they do well these days.

.JayZii

Banned
The huge popularity of GT was always a bit baffling to me. It's so technical.
It's good to interrogate every person wearing a band shirt from before their time to make sure they are actually a huge fan of those bands. If not, one must rend their garments with rage. How dare these people?

cabelhigh

Neo Member
Yeah was very non-plussed at their GT sales ignorance. Like, hasn't that series *always* sold gangbusters? I'm pretty sure they're allowed to take their time because they make their investment back, not because Sony is propping them up for sentimental reasons.

Trojan

I listen to a lot of gaming podcasts, and this week I've heard the No Man's Sky refund controversy mentioned on Giant Bombcast, The Patch, DLC, and the Giant Beastcast.

Each one had slightly different takes, but they all were pretty consistent in saying that playing any game for 25-30+ hours and requesting a refund afterwards seems unreasonable. Interesting that all those separate groups had essentially the same viewpoint when there's been such an outcry over it in forums. Even guys like Jeff Gerstmann, who routinely bash broken or poorly optimized games, said they thought it was excessive.

Top Bottom