• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Global Starcraft II League (GSL) March 2011 - Code S FINALS

abunai

Nice work with those tallies, I'll remember to post predictions next season (or the team league, whatever)

Just watched the VODs, the production was really good this season. So impressed.

Aaron

Is the inability of the zerg to make an effective proxy attack a serious weakness? I've been thinking of MC's builds, and it seems they were designed to take advantage of the larger map sizes, flipping around what should be an advantage for the zerg. The only flaw I could see in his build is it's weak to early pressure, since he has so many sentries, opposed to more damage-dealing units. In fact, the one map he lost was close positions, I think because he knew it was a weakness, and built too many cannons.

The distance was normally too far to send an effective group of speedlings, much less slow ass roaches, but another protoss or a terran could have proxied pylons or barracks. Even if their rush ultimately failed, they would either drain or kill sentries, weakening MC's attack when it eventually did come, and not risk much in the process. Of course, MC has different builds for other races, but the zerg are going to get destroyed by protoss until they find a way of countering this.

Won

ghst said:
i'm all up for a balance discussion regarding force fields, but to use this match as the prime motivator is pretty myopic given the context.

mc reacted to the community's claims that late game pvz is heavily tilted in protoss favour, and that toss tier 1/1.5 units are crippled in such a way that t3 balances it out, by absoloutely decimating the second best sc2 player in the world with pure t1. he didn't even build a robo, nor did he use a straight four-gate.

can you name one element of the game that july even came close to matching mc in? he was mind-fucked, micro-fucked, macro-fucked, always left guessing and every engagment played into mc's advantage, including those instigated by july. even during what seemed like crushing all-ins, mc was still transitioning into his next play with a macro lead.

you watched an artist paint his masterpiece, and all you can concern yourselves with is the brush he used. sc2 is still in its volitile youth and balance is an organic, evolutionary thing. all we can take from tonight is that mc can force fields look broken. that's what mc does.

True, but the force field talk isn't exactly new. It will come up again and again.

V_Arnold

Aaron said:
Is the inability of the zerg to make an effective proxy attack a serious weakness? I've been thinking of MC's builds, and it seems they were designed to take advantage of the larger map sizes, flipping around what should be an advantage for the zerg. The only flaw I could see in his build is it's weak to early pressure, since he has so many sentries, opposed to more damage-dealing units. In fact, the one map he lost was close positions, I think because he knew it was a weakness, and built too many cannons.

The distance was normally too far to send an effective group of speedlings, much less slow ass roaches, but another protoss or a terran could have proxied pylons or barracks. Even if their rush ultimately failed, they would either drain or kill sentries, weakening MC's attack when it eventually did come, and not risk much in the process. Of course, MC has different builds for other races, but the zerg are going to get destroyed by protoss until they find a way of countering this.

Exactly. And with active scouting, it would not be too hard not to see a proxy hatchery being based right outside your neutral, so that you can proxy a few spine crawlers, with roach support just in case. It should be nice if that would have worked in some ways, but you gotta rush lair AND overlord speed to do that :D (Suggestion: make it so you can research ovie speed without lair!)

Aaron

V_Arnold said:
Exactly. And with active scouting, it would not be too hard not to see a proxy hatchery being based right outside your neutral, so that you can proxy a few spine crawlers, with roach support just in case. It should be nice if that would have worked in some ways, but you gotta rush lair AND overlord speed to do that :D (Suggestion: make it so you can research ovie speed without lair!)
Zerg can't proxy without risking a hatch. They can't scout without risking getting supply blocked... what's the advantage to playing zerg again? Heck, even getting detection is a bitch, though it's not a sure thing for the protoss either.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
MC interview translated by TeamLiquid:

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=202819

Highlights:

Q. You didn't use any colossi today.
A. I was confident in my gateway unit control. I didn't purposely neglect them, but I just played according to every situation. ST_July didn't force me to make collosi, so I played based on gateway compositions.

Q. With the second title, you have become the best. Who do you think can catch up to your career?
A. I don't think anyone can catch up to me. I don't know about second places, but I will always keep winning. As per each race, I think MarineKingPrime and IMMvp are the 2 best terrans, but IMMvp was knocked down to Code A recently, so it narrowed down to just MarineKingPrime. I think IMNesTea, ST_July and oGsZenio are the best zergs, and SlayerS_Alicia and sanZenith are the best protosses. I'm also expecting a lot from other oGs protosses.

Q. What are your goals in the World Championship and GSTL?
A. I want to win in GSTL and that's pretty obvious. However, I want to put winning aside for now and work well with my teammates first. For the World Championship, Korea will be battling against other foreigners, and I don't think I even need to play, so I'm not putting too much focus in that.

Q. Are you planning ahead for the group selection for next season?
A. Many players are tackling me. MarineKingPrime and TSL_Rain want to get revenge on me, so I'm thinking of picking them. I want to ask everyone if they want to play against me and pick them if they wish to. I think oGsTheWind has been in Code S for too long. I want to knock him out so he can focus on coaching. (T/N: LOLLLLLL)

Deadly

Daaamn how much money do you think the guy's made? 2 GSL tournaments + the code S salary...You've gotta wonder what he does with it considering he plays SC2 the majority of the time...

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
awesome interview. some one on TL was ranting about MC having no emotions. WTF.

dude has more personality than 90% of the players

p.s. evilore you may now notice my tag.. lol.

edit: nvm :( tags been changed.. now i'm nekkid

farnham

Banned
HolyCheck said:

p.s. evilore you may now notice my tag.. lol.

edit: nvm :( tags been changed.. now i'm nekkid
wut?

NeoCross

Just got home and watched the finals, and it turned out how I expected it. A crushing victory by the President Toss <3

And it's kind of funny how in every GSL some people find something new to whine about. From colossus, void rays, templars etc. Some people are even favoring the amulet removal cause they can't kill Tier 3 toss tech with their 50 mineral T1 unit. And now people have found something new to cry about, force fields.

As panda and some Z's said on the thread, July should've adjusted his builds. He knows MC like to attack with sick timings early game. Why not get burrow, cause MC didn't even have observers and a robo out. Or few more spines like how Zergs in BW make an ass ton of sunkens in their expansions. With the Flux vanes nerf, inevitable amulet nerf and now that people are complaining about FF it'll most likely make Blizzard think about doing something to it. If that happens the Toss would just be a gimped race.

F#A#Oo

Banned
twofold said:
Give it some time.

Coming out now and claiming "the game is unbalanced!" is premature and foolish.

Remember Artosis's claims that 2 rax was unbeatable in TvZ? Yeah..

Tbh it's Artosis...lol the guy exaggerates a ton...his state of the game appearances are the best example of him exaggerating.

NeoCross said:
Just got home and watched the finals, and it turned out how I expected it. A crushing victory by the President Toss <3

And it's kind of funny how in every GSL some people find something new to whine about. Previously Z had been bitching about colossus, then VR/Colo. T is favoring the amulet removal cause they can't kill Tier 3 toss tech with their 50 mineral T1 unit. And now people have found something new to cry about, force fields.

As panda and some Z's said on the thread, July should've adjusted his builds. He knows MC like to attack with sick timings early game. Why not get burrow, cause MC didn't even have observers and a robo out. Or few more spines like how Zergs in BW make an ass ton of sunkens in their expansions. With the Flux vanes nerf, inevitable amulet nerf and now that people are complaining about FF it'll most likely make Blizzard think about doing something to it. If that happens the Toss would just be a gimped race.

Not really FF has been the one balance topic that gets revived the most...and it never goes away.

What has happened though is FF has not taken precedent over what others think are more important imbalances...

NeoCross

F#A#Oo said:
Not really FF has been the one balance topic that gets revived the most...and it never goes away.

Yeah forgot about constant FF topics and I do agree that FF is the least of everyone's problems regarding balance now. People just saw first hand how a top level player demolish an SC legend with it so it's kind of in the spotlight now.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Zzoram said:
Wait, what the hell happened to Teamliquid? It's not loading. Also, is there is a TSL3 thread yet?

TL is down for whatever reason. And no, no volunteers for creating the TSL thread yet.

Zzoram

HolyCheck said:

A lot of that is anti-Korean sentiment. People are afraid of Koreans winning all the foreign tournaments and are criticizing Korean players to create excuses to exclude them from tournaments.

EviLore said:
TL is down for whatever reason. And no, no volunteers for creating the TSL thread yet.

We should wait until TL is up and use whatever banners and stuff they have in their TSL3 threads.

Zzoram

HolyCheck said:
We've already nominated you to make it in the sc2 thread due to your asking if there is a thread :) you have 15 minutes

should it be a TSL3 thread, or Ro32 thread, or Ro32 day 1 thread?

Zzoram

What should be the title?

Teamliquid Starleague 3 |TSL3|

?

I'm not sure how to title it in a way that would make anyone who isn't already a fan click

HolyCheck

Zzoram said:

?

I'm not sure how to title it in a way that would make anyone who isn't already a fan click

Up to you!

but aslong as you have starcraft 2 in the title for the newbies, and I dunno! :)

V_Arnold

Zzoram said:

?

StarCraft II TSL3 Tournament |OT| of Koreans dominating Yet Again

Mindlog

watervengeance said:
MC wanting to knock oGsTheWind out so he can coach. :lol
Yeah I liked that one as well.

I believe™ people are missing the key point on sentries. Force fields are goddamn boring. Part of the reason I enjoy watching Starcraft is because of the army micro. Tension builds all game until a major engagement. As the game is about to get exciting: wshcschwe wchswhh swchhchs (FF sound effect.) Oh. Again? Neat. I guess.

I have no comments on the balance of the ability. I understand the role sentries play and their cost. I'm still more entertained by storms, fungal and supply drop.

Raelson said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swdspAisUPg

This was the only thing i could think about during this final. lol
I do see.

HolyCheck

Raelson said:
StarCraft II TSL3 Tournament |OT| Koreans own white dudes

This reminds me, I showed a video of some APM at uni for a presentation I had to do on RTS games

and one guy let out a "so that's why they're so good at piano"

I lold :(

Top Bottom