• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 - Heart of Thorns |OT| Welcome to the Jungle...

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you guys bind your keys? I'm quite overwhelmed by the number of keys to bind, and the default controls are not the optimal way to play at all. I need some suggestions. I'm playing guardian and necromancer atm.

I bind 6/7/8/9/0 to R/Z/X/C/V. I never really needed to change much else.

Quenk

How do you guys bind your keys? I'm quite overwhelmed by the number of keys to bind, and the default controls are not the optimal way to play at all. I need some suggestions. I'm playing guardian and necromancer atm.

I bound 7890 to QERC. I also have dodge and about face on mouse buttons for quick access.

I normally love a ranger but sonetimes i get bored because it isnt or doesnt feel as engaging. Im not fussed by min maxing skills just wanna hsve some fun. And as a mmo this looks awesome for exploring maps etc.

Guardian looks fun with the mechanics guardian great sword looks awesome so does the dragonhunter spec.

I have hot aswell n revenant seems like hassle having to keep swapping between stances in battle. Otherwise id probs have picked revy over guard

If you want something flashy and bad ass maybe look at Elementalist? As for Revenant, you can only have two legends equipped at a time and for just running around the map and casual play, you can totally camp in Glint if you want. The only time I bother swapping between both legends when I play my Rev is when I'm taking on bosses or challenging content.

Taffer

Nobody ever rebinds Tab or Capslock. Chunky obvious buttons that do nothing. One of them has a light on it, how can you not?

Yeah i find it hard to tap the tab or caps lock or ctrl buttons (either using pinky or ring finger) while my other fingers are still on the movement buttons. Hitting shift without any problem tho.

Finally figured out how the bells work for Wintersday. I get the whole Guitar Hero concept but the engagement point for making the hits was driving me mad. Once you get the timing down it is super easy, and pulling a thousand karma per song is a nice little bonus.

Do people just not run the Jungle Wurms in Sparkfly anymore? I've been trying to work on bringing those down and have yet to find a party large enough to tackle them. Ends up being a halfassed walk to the boss followed by half the group giving up and leaving.

Sylvari is such a underrated race. They are so much more than just "plant elfs". I've never appreciated them enough. It's amazing how much expression they have and how much players get out of them. Their illumination and the way their racial clothing integrates into their skin is cool. Sylvari was the one race that really lacked in diversity when the game came out, but Kirsten had added some insane hairstyles and faces to it. It was the right call to re-design them.
They are really, really cool. Not a lot of gaffers appreciate Sylvari. Most Gaffers always played humans / Asura / Charr.

tumblr_o28v3lfrMQ1rdoqc4o1_500.gif
tumblr_nxibhaWQlb1rdoqc4o1_500.gif
tumblr_nus9on2jwd1rdoqc4o1_500.gif
tumblr_nmhqnrVl5j1ttl0tpo1_250.gif
tumblr_n5t1400jkV1ttl0tpo4_400.gif
tumblr_nbt0rg7g2E1ttl0tpo1_400.gif
tumblr_niav2zobzW1td5ihgo1_400.gif
tumblr_o3vcw7qfiY1radjcvo2_540.gif
tumblr_nwbzj4boGD1rdoqc4o2_540.gif
tumblr_nxaib76uWd1ttl0tpo2_540.gif
tumblr_o2we4qc35P1radjcvo1_540.gif
tumblr_npgxizlpdG1ttl0tpo2_r1_540.gif
tumblr_nxlg1mqNOK1r5h7mqo3_r1_500.gif
tumblr_o1e62uWPhA1ttl0tpo1_500.gif
tumblr_nyqaz36Gs51ttl0tpo1_500.gif
tumblr_nyqv7t5MKn1r5h7mqo2_500.gif
tumblr_nplel1B1Lt1r5h7mqo2_r1_500.gif
tumblr_nxlg1mqNOK1r5h7mqo3_r1_500.gif
tumblr_no4opx1N6T1u9nf87o1_500.gif
tumblr_nn3pxuBKlM1ttl0tpo2_500.gif
tumblr_njf1nhlz881ttl0tpo2_500.gif
tumblr_njrjdkEFko1ttl0tpo1_500.gif
tumblr_nk82bzZwEd1ttl0tpo1_500.gif
tumblr_njf1nhlz881ttl0tpo1_500.gif
tumblr_nn3pxuBKlM1ttl0tpo1_500.gif
tumblr_neowjsLd401ttl0tpo2_500.gif
tumblr_nmucqoGDar1ttl0tpo2_500.gif
tumblr_neq7ckQKyu1ttl0tpo2_500.gif
tumblr_nmucqoGDar1ttl0tpo1_500.gif
tumblr_nbt0rg7g2E1ttl0tpo1_400.gif
gif[/IMG]
tumblr_nm0qbm2DYS1ttl0tpo1_500.gif
tumblr_nckoh3aiUy1ttl0tpo2_400.gif
tumblr_nc6bcoXHDb1ttl0tpo1_400.gif
tumblr_nc6bcoXHDb1ttl0tpo2_400.gif
tumblr_naxtc371gE1ttl0tpo4_400.gif
tumblr_naxtc371gE1ttl0tpo5_400.gif
tumblr_n6j5e2ILXe1ttl0tpo3_400.gif
tumblr_n6j5e2ILXe1ttl0tpo1_400.gif
tumblr_n8ic44Kd851ttl0tpo5_400.gif

tumblr_nzkvgvoB3u1u06pv5o2_r1_400.gif
tumblr_nzkvgvoB3u1u06pv5o1_r1_400.gif
tumblr_nv0a70PXza1rdoqc4o3_400.gif
tumblr_ofzhm2ZPl71royk4lo1_400.gif
tumblr_ofzhm2ZPl71royk4lo2_400.gif
tumblr_nv0a70PXza1rdoqc4o1_400.gif
tumblr_ntnvcvXoiS1uyd0djo1_400.gif
tumblr_ntnvcvXoiS1uyd0djo2_400.gif
tumblr_n9mkkjw9r81ttl0tpo2_400.gif
tumblr_n9mkkjw9r81ttl0tpo1_400.gif
tumblr_n8yr6hATla1ttl0tpo2_400.gif
tumblr_n8yr6hATla1ttl0tpo1_400.gif
tumblr_n8a9yrpXzG1ttl0tpo4_400.gif
tumblr_n8a9yrpXzG1ttl0tpo5_r1_400.gif
tumblr_nxeqkvaxqt1qljgf8o1_250.gif
tumblr_nxeqkvaxqt1qljgf8o2_250.gif
tumblr_nxexik0Oa91qljgf8o2_250.gif
tumblr_nxexik0Oa91qljgf8o1_250.gif

Fashion Wars <3

With that being said ArenaNet still have the potential to take it to another level. Game changers could be:

• Beards, piercings, tattoos, scars, horns. I think there is a very real and worthy opportunity here.
  • Dyeable weapons. They've said in the past that it's not possible, but if they could come over the technical limitation it would be insane. Even if it meant not being able to dye the effects on most weapons.
  • Capes and Cloaks. It will require physics rendering to make sure it doesn't clip through the weapons on the characters back.
  • Revamped pet systems. The pets and summons leave a lot to be desired. Many of the pets need new character models and everything should have customization and growth to them. It never was as satisfying to collect pets as a ranger as it could have been, and it didn't feel like other classes summons had a life of their own.
  • Moods, so your characters default facial expression and stance could reflect specific things like /angry /anxious /cheerful /lollygagging. It would add some cool flair and personality to the world. We know they have the animation rigs in it, so it's just about implementing it.
  • Fully covered helmets - With more helmets and headpieces that take up the entire face you don't have to worry about hair clipping and such. They could add many cool new ones.
  • A wings toggle options. I'd like to be able to off toggle peoples Aion wings.

Fishious

Sylvari is such a underrated race. They are so much more than just "plant elfs". I've never appreciated them enough. It's amazing how much expression they have and how much players get out of them. Their illumination and the way their racial clothing integrates into their skin is cool. Sylvari was the one race that really lacked in diversity when the game came out, but Kirsten had added some insane hairstyles and faces to it. It was the right call to re-design them.
They are really, really cool. Not a lot of gaffers appreciate Sylvari. Most Gaffers always played humans / Asura / Charr.

Fashion Wars <3

With that being said ArenaNet still have the potential to take it to another level. Game changers could be:

• Beards, piercings, tattoos, scars, horns. I think there is a very real and worthy opportunity here.
  • Dyeable weapons. They've said in the past that it's not possible, but if they could come over the technical limitation it would be insane. Even if it meant not being able to dye the effects on most weapons.
  • Capes and Cloaks. It will require physics rendering to make sure it doesn't clip through the weapons on the characters back.
  • Revamped pet systems. The pets and summons leave a lot to be desired. Many of the pets need new character models and everything should have customization and growth to them. It never was as satisfying to collect pets as a ranger as it could have been, and it didn't feel like other classes summons had a life of their own.
  • Moods, so your characters default facial expression and stance could reflect specific things like /angry /anxious /cheerful /lollygagging. It would add some cool flair and personality to the world. We know they have the animation rigs in it, so it's just about implementing it.
  • Fully covered helmets - With more helmets and headpieces that take up the entire face you don't have to worry about hair clipping and such. They could add many cool new ones.
  • A wings toggle options. I'd like to be able to off toggle peoples Aion wings.

What? Surely everyone understands how awesome the Sylvari are. Gaffers especially should know better!

But seriously, the large range of skin tone options alone allow for some fantastic color coordination with armor/outfits. The variety of faces and hairstyles are just icing on the cake. In regards to the general fashion wars stuff, I'm pretty much in agreement. I feel like there's also a lot of headpieces that should potentially have their own slots. Things like the glowing eyes or face paint would ideally be usable with other headgear options. My necro needs to be able to wear a hat, but I won't give up the demon masque.
UpiCQ2q.jpg

Only issue I have with the salads is that while they look fantastic in racial stuff, a lot of normal outfits, especially ones that show a lot of skin, tent to look very odd. Half the time I get the feeling they look like corpses in them.

Still made two of them though. Hair kits are a must have for that race.

BTW, is there a list of easy to get hero points for the expansion areas? Trying to level up my professions on all the alts, but wow is it taking a long time.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Ugh, part IV of HOPE is frustrating because many of it is locked in HoT events, and no one plays HoT maps anymore

What? Surely everyone understands how awesome the Sylvari are. Gaffers especially should know better!

But seriously, the large range of skin tone options alone allow for some fantastic color coordination with armor/outfits. The variety of faces and hairstyles are just icing on the cake. In regards to the general fashion wars stuff, I'm pretty much in agreement. I feel like there's also a lot of headpieces that should potentially have their own slots. Things like the glowing eyes or face paint would ideally be usable with other headgear options. My necro needs to be able to wear a hat, but I won't give up the demon masque.
UpiCQ2q.jpg

My wife has like... ten Sylvari characters. Then she infected me and I have three salads now.

Vanethyr

After being absent from the game since the launch window, I decided to download it again over the weekend and man am I loving it.

Saw an ad for Heart of Thorns which triggered some crazy nostalgia trip, prompting me to look into what I've missed over the course of time and I'm kinda upset I waited so long to get back into it (Guild Wars 1 was my first real MMO back when it came out and I have a real soft spot for Maguuma Jungle, hence it pushing me to investigate further).

I found all the changes pretty overwhelming, and was completely lost as to what I was doing on my level 80 Guardian after being away for so many years, so I decided to make a fresh start with a Revenant. This class is hitting so many right notes for me, to the extent that I think I'll make this my new main if the enjoyment keeps up like this (made it to level 32 last night, so there's still time for the honeymoon period to end).

The only real problem is that all of my friends and colleagues stopped playing the game around the time I did, and they were so turned off by the state of the game back in 2012 that they won't even entertain the notion of giving it another try (despite virtually all of their and my complaints being addressed). As such it's feeling a little lonely playing an MMO without a guild... any chance there's a GAF-based one on Desolation I could join? Long shot I know, but at least there'd be a little familiarity. Just a warning though, I'd probably consider myself a total casual and an utter noob given my absence, so don't expect much out of me :p

Fishious

After being absent from the game since the launch window, I decided to download it again over the weekend and man am I loving it.

Saw an ad for Heart of Thorns which triggered some crazy nostalgia trip, prompting me to look into what I've missed over the course of time and I'm kinda upset I waited so long to get back into it (Guild Wars 1 was my first real MMO back when it came out and I have a real soft spot for Maguuma Jungle, hence it pushing me to investigate further).

I found all the changes pretty overwhelming, and was completely lost as to what I was doing on my level 80 Guardian after being away for so many years, so I decided to make a fresh start with a Revenant. This class is hitting so many right notes for me, to the extent that I think I'll make this my new main if the enjoyment keeps up like this (made it to level 32 last night, so there's still time for the honeymoon period to end).

The only real problem is that all of my friends and colleagues stopped playing the game around the time I did, and they were so turned off by the state of the game back in 2012 that they won't even entertain the notion of giving it another try (despite virtually all of their and my complaints being addressed). As such it's feeling a little lonely playing an MMO without a guild... any chance there's a GAF-based one on Desolation I could join? Long shot I know, but at least there'd be a little familiarity. Just a warning though, I'd probably consider myself a total casual and an utter noob given my absence, so don't expect much out of me :p

Glad to hear you're enjoying it. I just recently came back after about a year off and had to make a few adjustments, but I have to imagine jumping back in after all this time has been crazy for you. If you have any questions we'll try to help.

Regarding servers, everything is region based. So technically you can be in a guild based on a different server and play with all those guild members regardless of what server you're playing on. Heck, all the maps you normally play on are filled with people from various different servers. Unfortunately I believe Desolation is an EU server and GAF guild is US based. Also GAF guild is currently pretty dead. It's possible to transfer servers either by deleting all your characters (I think this still works, might want to verify before trying) or buying a server transfer. Given how dead the guild is, it may be better to find an active EU guild. Still, if you did decide to transfer I'm sure one of the still active GAF officers would add you.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Indeed- and Vanethyr if you do decide that and the funding for the transfer over to NA is an issue, we can help out with an in-game gold donation. But it is certainly pretty quiet these days- wouldn't blame you if you want to seek out an active guild on EU you can jump into. We'll be here if and when things pick up again if you feel like transferring in the future :)

You aren't truly a Revenant until you have the glory that is Glint so if anything, you should love it even more later on :) Welcome back and glad you're enjoying the game! You're one of a handful of new posters recently so perhaps if enough new blood collects the guild will become more active again. I think plenty still keep an eye on the thread at least. FFXV is dominating my gaming time but I'll definitely be back when I finish.

I've actually been playing quite a bit as of late for some reason. Really just trying to fill out my masteries, which have been quite neglected the last year or so.

Maps are still active, if you get shuffled into the right one. Sadly, it seems to keep giving you 'few players on this map, transfer y/n" even when the meta is actively being done.

Spyware

My little brother is visiting over the holidays and he was hoping we could finally get him to 30 points in HoM. So we've been playing a great amount of GW1 all of a sudden. I have not played it for two years but we still jumped straight into Slaver's Exile (in HM) and Glint's Challenge to get him a destroyer weapon, rank points/book entry and hero armor. It's going so much smoother than I imagined it would.

After he's done, I want to get 40 points in HoM for my fav thing on that list (the Flameseeker title) and I can combine that with getting GWAMM which would be nice. It won't be easy solo but I'm gonna try. :)

Vanethyr

Glad to hear you're enjoying it. I just recently came back after about a year off and had to make a few adjustments, but I have to imagine jumping back in after all this time has been crazy for you. If you have any questions we'll try to help.

Welcome back to you too in that case! :3 I think I was a little too optimistic hoping that I would just need to make a few adjustments, but yeah, figured I can find my feet by levelling a new char and then pick up my Guardian at a later date if I feel like slipping back into an old pair of boots.

Regarding servers, everything is region based. So technically you can be in a guild based on a different server and play with all those guild members regardless of what server you're playing on. Heck, all the maps you normally play on are filled with people from various different servers. Unfortunately I believe Desolation is an EU server and GAF guild is US based. Also GAF guild is currently pretty dead. It's possible to transfer servers either by deleting all your characters (I think this still works, might want to verify before trying) or buying a server transfer. Given how dead the guild is, it may be better to find an active EU guild. Still, if you did decide to transfer I'm sure one of the still active GAF officers would add you.

Ahhh, I thought that was the case but wasn't quite sure if I was just making that up while explaining it to a friend, glad to hear that is actually how it is!

I had a feeling someone would say that the GAF guild is US based, so I guess that confirms it >.< think I'll try my luck with an EU guild for now. Not ready to give up on trying to convince my friends and colleagues to come back just yet, and since they were mostly on Desolation as well I'll likely have an easier time persuading them if I'm still on the same server.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to me, I really appreciate it :)

Indeed- and Vanethyr if you do decide that and the funding for the transfer over to NA is an issue, we can help out with an in-game gold donation. But it is certainly pretty quiet these days- wouldn't blame you if you want to seek out an active guild on EU you can jump into. We'll be here if and when things pick up again if you feel like transferring in the future :)

Aww! Thank you so much for the thought ^ ^ as touching as the offer is, I think I'm going to see what I can find in regards to an EU guild first. I'll bear in mind that you guys are on the US server in case I change my mind later, but will no doubt see you around in the OT as I intend to frequent it going forwards :)

You aren't truly a Revenant until you have the glory that is Glint so if anything, you should love it even more later on :) Welcome back and glad you're enjoying the game! You're one of a handful of new posters recently so perhaps if enough new blood collects the guild will become more active again. I think plenty still keep an eye on the thread at least. FFXV is dominating my gaming time but I'll definitely be back when I finish.

I just had a look at that stance on the Wiki and eeep! I need to get levelling because I want it bad! Was a bit worried I might lose interest in the class (especially since I have yet to see anyone else playing a Revenant so I wasn't sure if there was something wrong with it in the endgame) but to say that has lit the fire is an understatement xD

Thanks! It's good to be back :) I'm sure there's a lot for me to catch up on but I'm having an absolute blast with it so at least it won't be a chore.

I'm delighted to hear I'm not alone in returning to the game (and to see just how densely populated it still is), so if it turns out that the US guild becomes more active as a result, or I don't get anywhere with convincing people to give the game another try, I'll seriously consider just biting the bullet on a transfer ^ ^ one of my friends and fellow GAFers decided to give the game a try last night, so I'll see how he fares with it before making a decision as well.

Hehe, I know the feeling with FFXV! I only just managed to tear myself away from it after completing it since my colleague who also bought it received a dodgy copy that won't work, so I lent him mine for the time being while the retailer sorts out his replacement. Probably worked out well in the end or I'd still be playing that instead of this!

Boss Doggie

Whew. Only need 2 more components - the Vinetooth Prime and Chak Gerent.

I've always miss out good Gerent runs lately :(

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Aww! Thank you so much for the thought ^ ^ as touching as the offer is, I think I'm going to see what I can find in regards to an EU guild first. I'll bear in mind that you guys are on the US server in case I change my mind later, but will no doubt see you around in the OT as I intend to frequent it going forwards :)
Cheers :)
Hehe, I know the feeling with FFXV! I only just managed to tear myself away from it after completing it since my colleague who also bought it received a dodgy copy that won't work, so I lent him mine for the time being while the retailer sorts out his replacement. Probably worked out well in the end or I'd still be playing that instead of this!
i SHOULD be having my time be occupied by FFXV but instead it keeps being Let it Die o_O

Massicot

Played through both Episodes 2 and 3 over the last couple of days. The story feels pretty disjointed by beelining to place to not-nearby place etc, but it's coherent and justified. Still far better than Season 1.

Ember bay is pretty cool. Obviously it's nice to have a sort of callback to Guild Wars 1. I wish there were hydras running around though :p

Bitterfrost Frontier..I'm less high on. It's just kinda boring and big and empty? But I do LOVE that these maps don't have something all funneling into one super overt meta (of course there are overarching events) but it makes them feel more like actual places rather than undisguised game machinations.

I do love how Bitterfrost looks though. I think the map is boring but pretty. Ember Bay is more fun but less to look at.

I even got a Winter Aura thinger, which I used to help finish a few collections (Primordus and Jormag, seems fitting!), winter's presence, and the Koda heart thing. So now I'm getting a bit over the top in end game fashion.

P5KiwQU.jpg

I'm becoming what i hated most

Boss Doggie

Looking back, I remember a poster saying that once you crafted your first legendary, it'd feel like it's easier crafting the rest.

...he's kinda right lol

also fuck man, Mystic Coins are like 1g now lol

Looking back, I remember a poster saying that once you crafted your first legendary, it'd feel like it's easier crafting the rest.

...he's kinda right lol

also fuck man, Mystic Coins are like 1g now lol

I want pics when you finally get HOPE. I'll hang it next to my monitor with the caption "THIS COULD BE YOU".

Massicot

Trying to play this game on my parent's shiity bumfuck midwest internet connection is probably the least enjoyable thing I could be doing right now, haha.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
New Years's machinations are preventing me from being around tonight so no missions, but I will post in here before running some tomorrow for anyone who is interested.

I hope you all have safe and happy and excellent celebrations tonight and here's to an outstanding new year.
Finally finished Ad Infinitum. As usual gift of fortune is the worst.
Congrats on that. Great looking piece

Massicot

Just got ascended aquabreathers for all my characters.

I never want to see another winterberry ever again.

Edit: Finally finished my 7th World Completion and 19th (what am i doing) legendary. I'm inflating that number a bit by counting Eternity and backpieces though.

g36Zf64.jpg

CtuhiVH.jpg

This one took me an extra long time to make, and I'll treasure it a little more than all of the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom