• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 - Heart of Thorns |OT| Welcome to the Jungle...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spyware

They finally made a brighter white ("white?") dye than Celestial called Permafrost. Of course it's 525 gold on the TP now.
Four of the six new dyes just look like bad bright whites on the armors I tested them on. The other two are just ugly. It's a terrible set. :O

Auraela

Banned
Just started the bloodstone fen story after finish hot. Getting great now.

My concern is the vendors sell ascended gear for blood ruby etc. Is this gonns make ascended requires for further content. They always said gear treadmill wasn't a thing.

Or is this just making that gear easier obtainable

Sonicbug

Just started the bloodstone fen story after finish hot. Getting great now.

My concern is the vendors sell ascended gear for blood ruby etc. Is this gonns make ascended requires for further content. They always said gear treadmill wasn't a thing.

Or is this just making that gear easier obtainable

The latter. I think it was a way to give PvE a way to get those stats.
(Season 3's been been pretty great, I like a bunch of those new maps a lot.)

Massicot

It's far more the latter. The main draw of the LS3 vendors is that they are a way to get the HoT exclusive stats (Vipers, etc) for ascended trinkets, which can otherwise only really be obtained by Raids in PVE.

I personally do the LS3 dailies for the maps pretty often (mostly every day ._.) so that I always have a stockpile of Rubies and the other map currencies in case I ever need a new set of trinkets.

And yea, I think the LS3 maps are some of the best content Arenanet's put out in a while. Though I do think that Bloodstone Fen was probably the best one. Mainly due to the gliding abilities.

Sonicbug

So, the new Mac 64-bit client came out yesterday. I haven't had a chance to fire it up, but people say it's more stable, got some graphically glitches, and is slow to load at the moment. I'm excited to try DS with it though. *fingers crossed*

After owning the game since near launch, I finally hit 80 with my ranger.

Druid seems pretty neat!

Gonna finish up the personal story and probably explorer the end game zones before I hit up the HoT zones.

Doing all the story dungeons before that though.

I'm glad this game is still alive and well

Sonicbug

Ok, I tested out the new Mac client in the only way I know how.... Dragon's Stand.
I made it through an entire rotation without crashing with the graphics set to beautiful. At a few points the framerate hitched up real bad but it never went down. Now I'll probably finally be able to finish Nevermore. Woo!

There are all sorts of strange graphical glitches on occasion, the framerate is kinda all over the place, and running the OSX-64 client on a machine without SSD or a fusion drive set up sounds like a quick way to kill your computer. Even so, the fans aren't kicking up as much as they used to, it's just a memory hog.

I'm still very happy with it though. I forgot how pretty Tarir is.

Massicot

After owning the game since near launch, I finally hit 80 with my ranger.

Druid seems pretty neat!

Gonna finish up the personal story and probably explorer the end game zones before I hit up the HoT zones.

Doing all the story dungeons before that though.

I'm glad this game is still alive and well

I love Ranger/Druid. It used to be my main and is still pretty much my most hours played. It's a great end-game class too with a good number of viable build setups.

Ok, I tested out the new Mac client in the only way I know how.... Dragon's Stand.
I made it through an entire rotation without crashing with the graphics set to beautiful. At a few points the framerate hitched up real bad but it never went down. Now I'll probably finally be able to finish Nevermore. Woo!

There are all sorts of strange graphical glitches on occasion, the framerate is kinda all over the place, and running the OSX-64 client on a machine without SSD or a fusion drive set up sounds like a quick way to kill your computer. Even so, the fans aren't kicking up as much as they used to, it's just a memory hog.

I'm still very happy with it though. I forgot how pretty Tarir is.

To be honest, I'm not sure any client/computer combo can run something like Dragon's Stand blobs without a few hitches or frame drops. Sounds just as good as the windows client based on that summary.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Ah darn, I was in Miami overnight and couldn't get online to run missions from my laptop. Sorry about that. And come next Sat I'll be in Colorado for my 30th birthday. Will be back the weekend after.

Remember, if people are on at 9:00PM on Saturday looking to do missions, anyone can kick them off now at no cost to the guild, so don't hesitate.

Anyone mind explaining how I should be gearing up at 80?

I have no idea what I have to run, what currency I need or anything about grabbing ascended or exotic gear.

Looking up stuff online is a bit messy because a lot of the info is old and I'm sure things are a bit different now.

Any help would be appreciated!

spiritfox

Anyone mind explaining how I should be gearing up at 80?

I have no idea what I have to run, what currency I need or anything about grabbing ascended or exotic gear.

Looking up stuff online is a bit messy because a lot of the info is old and I'm sure things are a bit different now.

Any help would be appreciated!

First get an exotic set. The Orr temples give you armor for karma, so it's the best place to start. The most common stat spread is berserker, which is available at Grenth. For accessories, you can buy ascended accessories from laurel vendors, guild vendors, or wvw vendors depending on what currency you have. Backpack and weapons are a little harder, but the TP is a good bet if you have money.

Don't worry about getting ascended armor until later. It's only needed for raids and high level fractals.

spiritfox

Thanks!

Haven't even been to Orr yet. What about gearing up by buying dungeon gear? Does it take way too long to grind for the currency?

Also, is this forum post still relevant? http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/98588-how-to-get-geared-in-guild-wars-2/

You should at least go to Orr first. It's an interesting place, and you don't need to be properly geared for the open world segments. Dungeon armors are good too, but it's a bit of a grind for the currencies, especially since now almost no one runs it.

This guide is good, though I think it's better to get the armor first before fiddling with runes, and you should go straight to ascended accessories as they add more to overall stats.

You should at least go to Orr first. It's an interesting place, and you don't need to be properly geared for the open world segments. Dungeon armors are good too, but it's a bit of a grind for the currencies, especially since now almost no one runs it.

This guide is good, though I think it's better to get the armor first before fiddling with runes, and you should go straight to ascended accessories as they add more to overall stats.

Sounds good!

Thanks for the help! 👍

god I need 500 manifestos :/

comman62cov.jpg

I'm going to have my time split between GW2 and the TSW reboot. So there goes that free time.

sca2511

GF and I joined the guild before, but became inactive after a while. Recently been playing again since we got some our friends to play and we finally bought the expansion. If there is any room left in the guild, we'd like to join. Our IDs are acs.7205 and kten.2576 .

We had dungeon running down to its own art form too. I'm not sure many people were around long enough after the very beginning to see where things really developed.

Every class in the game at this point is brought for very specific roles in meta team comps, beyond just DPS, so I don't know what else they want.

Massicot

Even in fractals I would take a group with a good berserker, druid, and Chrono at least over one with 5 tempests just trying to out DPS each other.

Kalentan

This thread showed up on gaming side.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1401132&page=1

So many people talk about the chaotic no-role natures of dungeons and not being able to "heal" or "tank". Those guys would like raiding I think, but I guess it's not my job to tell people what to like.

Basically.

The thread is trash. Hell, the thread is under the notion that GW2 is unpopular... When it's still one of the most played MMOs...

Massicot

I wouldn't call the thread trash. More just that people seem to have cemented opinions from their failed 2013 runs of ascalonian catacombs or something. Which is fine, first impressions are hard to break.

Kalentan

I wouldn't call the thread trash. More just that people seem to have cemented opinions from their failed 2013 runs of ascalonian catacombs or something. Which is fine, first impressions are hard to break.

It stems from a belief on GAF that what's popular and not popular on GAF is the majority's opinion. After all, this is the same place that thinks no one plays Infinite Warfare just because it's thread isn't that active... Despite it still being a very active game.

Maledict

Players been conditioned to Trinity, those players will never break...they will die on Trinity ship...

Plenty of people are happily playing MMOs that don't rely on the trinity. It's just that for a lot of people, Gw2s method of removing it left a lot of people unsatisifed with how group play works. It wasn't what they advertised the game as at all beforehand, and although clearly it's working for them and the current player base, it will always be one of my biggest dissapointments in gaming.

Kalentan

Honestly Guild Wars 2 joins Halo, CoD, and other games where there is literally zero point to making a Gaming side thread. You get the same responses ad nasuem with little variance between them.

Some games you just can't talk about on GAF.

Massicot

BTW, I guess I should mention that there's a free wintersday in july type thing in the gemstore. I only got some tonics and icecream but hey, you might get a winter infusion.

Massicot

Two (three?) days in a row where servers seem to be lagged up. Right at my group's raid time too :( Not unique to GW2, since I see people complaining about Wildstar and stuff as well. I wonder if it's a DDOS specifically targeted for the July 4 holiday or if it's something more innocuous than that.

Auraela

Banned
talking about the gw2 thread in the main section, what ive noticed on gaf is most mmo threads here are very small tight communities and one would believe most mmo games are dead if they come to neogaf looking for thread.

the main mmos ( gw2, wow, eso and final fantasy and for extra measure a toss up between black desert and blade and soul )

they all offer widely different things and are all very popular.

i have noticed with neogaf tho theres some genres of games or just certain games in general that dont really take off on here

also im now up to crack in the sky living story. i made a ranger have been playing through content all the way, i must ask why did they add hearts back into maps ?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Most of the MMO generals are not as active too so there's that illusion. GAF generally doesn't really foster MMO communities well.

Massicot

i must ask why did they add hearts back into maps ?

To add some degree of replayability to the maps. I still don't like their design in general but I do think they work slightly better as some daily bonus rather than what their role was in the initial release.

Anastasis

edit: Answered in the other thread.

I haven't played in years, but thinking about jumping back in with some nice prices on the expansion. But then I remembered how the price of the expansion worked last time (same price for base+expansion and expansion), plus rumors of a new expansion, would it be better to wait and get both expansions for one price (if they keep the pricing model for the new expansion)?

Goldrush

Most of the MMO generals are not as active too so there's that illusion. GAF generally doesn't really foster MMO communities well.

I don't know about that. I mean this thread and the guild was very active for a good few years. I think it only really slowed shortly prior to the start of Season 3, right?

Ashodin

talking about the gw2 thread in the main section, what ive noticed on gaf is most mmo threads here are very small tight communities and one would believe most mmo games are dead if they come to neogaf looking for thread.

the main mmos ( gw2, wow, eso and final fantasy and for extra measure a toss up between black desert and blade and soul )

they all offer widely different things and are all very popular.

i have noticed with neogaf tho theres some genres of games or just certain games in general that dont really take off on here

also im now up to crack in the sky living story. i made a ranger have been playing through content all the way, i must ask why did they add hearts back into maps ?

FWIW, GW2 was the largest and most stable GAF MMO community to date until Heart of Thorns.

FWIW, GW2 was the largest and most stable GAF MMO community to date until Heart of Thorns.

The content drought really hurt this game. The game would be in such a better place if they capitalized on the bump from HOT by getting LWS3 out the door in a timely manner. At least it seems clear that with an expansion team and the LW team, balance, raiding, and fractal teams this shouldn't happen again next expansion. It feels especially bad because I personally think the game itself is better than it's ever been and I haven't been happier with it. I wish some of the people who had problems with it or left because of the content drought could give it a 2nd look.

Massicot

The content drought really hurt this game. The game would be in such a better place if they capitalized on the bump from HOT by getting LWS3 out the door in a timely manner. At least it seems clear that with an expansion team and the LW team, balance, raiding, and fractal teams this shouldn't happen again next expansion. It feels especially bad because I personally think the game itself is better than it's ever been and I haven't been happier with it. I wish some of the people who had problems with it or left because of the content drought could give it a 2nd look.

Yea. The ~9 month drought before and after with the only real updates being raids (which I like, but are a small % of the population) and back-patches to adjust the HoT maps was a really dark time T_T

The balance *seems* a lot better now. We've had casualties such as no more super-extravagant legendary collections but the trade-offs seem to be appropriate so far.

Yea. The ~9 month drought before and after with the only real updates being raids (which I like, but are a small % of the population) and back-patches to adjust the HoT maps was a really dark time T_T

The balance *seems* a lot better now. We've had casualties such as no more super-extravagant legendary collections but the trade-offs seem to be appropriate so far.

The thread in the main forum was kind of a bummer to read through. Like GW2 isn't going to be for everyone, the combat system in particular is love it or hate it, but there are so many complaints about the game in that thread born out of misunderstandings, or have changed as the game improved over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom