• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 - Heart of Thorns |OT| Welcome to the Jungle...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I just hope you can (expansion spoilers)
use mounts outside of the expansion maps, would kill the need to have swiftness or perma-swiftness on for fast map traversal

I know my Guard would like it.

Ashodin

use mounts outside of the expansion maps, would kill the need to have swiftness or perma-swiftness on for fast map traversal

Just like gliding I don't see it lasting long outside of without being implemented later. Likely they anticipated this.

Spyware

Just like gliding I don't see it lasting long outside of without being implemented later. Likely they anticipated this.
It would also be great in-game advertising for the expansion. "See that? Buy the expandion and you can do that too!" it will scream. Loudly.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yea they added symbols to Scepter and Sword a long time back. Might and Fury respectively.

Edit: About a year ago.

technically it was their old attacks turned into symbol

which actually makes sense and made you wonder why they weren't symbols to begin with

Ashodin

It would also be great in-game advertising for the expansion. "See that? Buy the expandion and you can do that too!" it will scream. Loudly.

Absolutely, they need to hype up the game becoming even better with each expac you own.

technically it was their old attacks turned into symbol

which actually makes sense and made you wonder why they weren't symbols to begin with

Pre-launch the classes weren't designed with such tight associations we have now, which got cleaned up with the new trait system + elite specs

Morokh

On spoiled maps
they look really large. Like they took the verticality and made it horizontal for these ones

When you look at the WwW map they did for HoT they're capable of doing both, of all the HoT masteries it really would be a shame to shelve gliding for a new thing 'just because'.

Massicot

I'm not sure how long ago I crossed the line between "admirably gaudy" and disgustingly garish.

FjKs0aN.png

The year is 2017, and Guardians still can't take screenshots without Aegis in every photo. :(

I like my Legendary weapons, but I skinned over my armor, and I'm in no hurry to make the accessory. I don't like the orbs very much.

Ashodin

The year is 2017, and Guardians still can't take screenshots without Aegis in every photo. :(

I like my Legendary weapons, but I skinned over my armor, and I'm in no hurry to make the accessory. I don't like the orbs very much.

I always get hit once before taking photos

Grudy

if, going by the leaks, they are
introducing mounts
there's no way they'll do normal sized maps with that mechanic. I expect the zones to be really really big.

Leaks below, do not click if you didn't see them. DON'T DO IT:

The maps look enormous just from the world map view. Particularly the Elon Riverlands and The Desolation looked like they can house 2 launch sized maps if I remember right.

Boss Doggie

Argh, BLTC is broken on me. The gem store, exchange, and TP won't load. Just an empty window.

Leaks below, do not click if you didn't see them. DON'T DO IT:

The maps look enormous just from the world map view. Particularly the Elon Riverlands and The Desolation looked like they can house 2 launch sized maps if I remember right.

it makes you wonder if they'll pull something like in Siren's Landing where there's only 1 wp, and there are hidden wps you must purchase.

Grudy

Argh, BLTC is broken on me. The gem store, exchange, and TP won't load. Just an empty window.

it makes you wonder if they'll pull something like in Siren's Landing where there's only 1 wp, and there are hidden wps you must purchase.

Purchase WPs? that'd be a sight to see.

I don't mind 1 WP maps but if they're too big, it becomes really annoying. The size of the silverwastes was about as far as I would be willing to accept for this concept, especially with the tunnels they implemented later on which made it tolerable. I remember one MMO had a similar design and what they ended up doing was give a bunch of classes skills to transport large groups of people to even other maps (it wasn't free either, you had to consume stones and stuff, but it wasn't expensive or anything). I can see it be done in interesting ways with the mastery system. They had something close to this idea when WPs are tied to current events, but I think it would be far better if they kept the availability of WPs in the hands of the players instead of some server clock as people wait for events to start back up.

Anyway, I think we might get the name of the expansion tomorrow by way of the trademark registration. Probably something with "Path" in it. I'm calling "Path of Fire" since one dev called it PoF on reddit.

I'm not sure how long ago I crossed the line between "admirably gaudy" and disgustingly garish.

FjKs0aN.png

That legendary trinket is pure class for mesmers. It's next on my agenda after getting The Shining Blade.

tumblr_ll6grkUlvO1qajvi6.jpg

Spoilers for the expansion leaks but based on what we've seen

The maps are basically 2X the size of Cursed Shore from the looks of it.

Auraela

Banned
Purchase WPs? that'd be a sight to see.

I don't mind 1 WP maps but if they're too big, it becomes really annoying. The size of the silverwastes was about as far as I would be willing to accept for this concept, especially with the tunnels they implemented later on which made it tolerable. I remember one MMO had a similar design and what they ended up doing was give a bunch of classes skills to transport large groups of people to even other maps (it wasn't free either, you had to consume stones and stuff, but it wasn't expensive or anything). I can see it be done in interesting ways with the mastery system. They had something close to this idea when WPs are tied to current events, but I think it would be far better if they kept the availability of WPs in the hands of the players instead of some server clock as people wait for events to start back up.

Anyway, I think we might get the name of the expansion tomorrow by way of the trademark registration. Probably something with "Path" in it. I'm calling "Path of Fire" since one dev called it PoF on reddit.

Prophecy of fire is my guess considering the end of this season was about finishing one prophecy

Massicot

Yea I don't like the armor or backpacks. I use the legendary glider on some characters but that's pretty much it.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Tried to play the game and got asked about SMS authentication. Forgot I changed my phone number since the last time I played. 🙃

Boss Doggie

wait so the trinket adds balls?

Tried to play the game and got asked about SMS authentication. Forgot I changed my phone number since the last time I played. 🙃

you could go to their forum about it

I managed to remove my authenticator because that shit didn't work with me

Error

FjKs0aN.png

sword looks nice.

are the dungeons worth doing? I saw some neat weapon skins from the dungeon vendor in lion's arch.

The leak seems to show
5 new maps, which is somewhat disappointing. If they really are massive, which appears to be the case, that might still be ok.

What are all your thoughts on LW3? Personally I was not a fan of the story, but the new maps and fractals were all great content.

Kalentan

The leak seems to show
5 new maps, which is somewhat disappointing. If they really are massive, which appears to be the case, that might still be ok.

What are all your thoughts on LW3? Personally I was not a fan of the story, but the new maps and fractals were all great content.

LW3 was such a huge step up.

LW2 was decent but the bite sized additions to the two maps made things feel not all that grand. LW3 really feels like a season. It makes me hyped for LW4.

Honestly...
5 maps seem fine since I feel like LW4 will just do what LW3 did and just add new maps that take advantage of HoT expansion additions.

Massicot

sword looks nice.

are the dungeons worth doing? I saw some neat weapon skins from the dungeon vendor in lion's arch.

I would say so. But at the same time, I have no idea what running a dungeon is like in 2017. They were a lot more popular a couple years ago than they are now. Fractals have pretty much taken up the same real estate these days.

That said, some of the dungeon skins are pretty good.

Ashodin

The leak seems to show

imagine all the verticality added to HoT Maps. Now imagine that as huge expanses of land. That's what we're getting.

I will finish this episode when they fix the horrible lag and disconnecting, 5secs of freezing lag every 30secs on the new map is horrible..

Jira

The leak seems to show

Do note that even if the xpack is 5 maps (this is fairly standard honesty), 2-3 months later LS4 starts and they're gonna start putting Elona in.
We got 6 new maps in 12 months, which is something other MMOs do not do. Also, the landmass of the new maps is greater than the HoT maps by a huge margin.
Hence the mounts, the combat abilities and traversal abilities play a big part in getting around a desert.

Error

It's crazy in about 36 hours we're getting the big expansion reveal. Who is making the Gaming side thread for that?
Why make threads for a dead gaem guys, am i rite?

No seriously, expect a lot of sarcasm and people saying this is worst mmo ever because there's no gear treadmill.

Jira

Why make threads for a dead gaem guys, am i rite?

No seriously, expect a lot of sarcasm and people saying this is worst mmo ever because there's no gear treadmill.

Well of course I mean that's to be expected isn't it? People have a hard time grasping the concept that people like things they don't like. Gear treadmills bore me to tears now after a decade of it. None of it matters when it's just replaced a few months down the line. I'd rather work towards something that I know I can say this is mine forever and it won't ever become worthless. Not just items but content too.

Error

Well of course I mean that's to be expected isn't it? People have a hard time grasping the concept that people like things they don't like. Gear treadmills bore me to tears now after a decade of it. None of it matters when it's just replaced a few months down the line. I'd rather work towards something that I know I can say this is mine forever and it won't ever become worthless. Not just items but content too.
I agree. I stopped playing FFXIV like 6 months ago, I know that if I go back to it now all my shit is worth crap and I have to do a massive grind to catch up. That already puts me off massively. Don't get me wrong the game entertained me for hours, but it was starting to feel like job. And I hated how my Pally was like everyone's else, I mean whats the point?

In other news Sylvaris glow in the dark why didnt I make a Sylvari before?

Freeman76

No huge point if they dont add new stuff to do in the old zones. While there are always people who make alts, and new players coming through, the vast majority of the population will be looking for new stuff to do and not necessarily revsiiting old maps just to use a mount.

That being said, mounts will no doubt be usable all over the place.

GW2 is one of my favourite games a
of all time btw, I've ploughed over 3k hours into this. Something felt off about HoT for me though, and I really hope they can come up with some great stuff in this new xpac.

Even though I dont play regular I log in a few times to week to flip my stock in the TP, up to 9.5k now, hoping to hit around 15k for the expac :)

Kalentan

No huge point if they dont add new stuff to do in the old zones. While there are always people who make alts, and new players coming through, the vast majority of the population will be looking for new stuff to do and not necessarily revsiiting old maps just to use a mount.

That being said, mounts will no doubt be usable all over the place.

GW2 is one of my favourite games a
of all time btw, I've ploughed over 3k hours into this. Something felt off about HoT for me though, and I really hope they can come up with some great stuff in this new xpac.

Even though I dont play regular I log in a few times to week to flip my stock in the TP, up to 9.5k now, hoping to hit around 15k for the expac :)

9.5K gold..?

Holy crap.

I've played for over 1k hours and the highest I've ever gotten was like 800g.

Boss Doggie

LW3 was such a huge step up.

LW2 was decent but the bite sized additions to the two maps made things feel not all that grand. LW3 really feels like a season. It makes me hyped for LW4.

Honestly...
5 maps seem fine since I feel like LW4 will just do what LW3 did and just add new maps that take advantage of HoT expansion additions.

to be fair though, DT and SW didn't come out as it is

LW2 slowly build up the maps so there's more "intimacy" to them, like if you played LW2 as it came out, DT only had one section of the map, then as chapters go you unlock each portion, same with SW (first didn't have tunnels and underground and meta boss)

Gothos

Only one thing could make me come back to the game. Completely revamped dugneon system. But it's impossible with lack of holy trinity, so... Nevertheless I'm curious what they're gonna offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom