• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 - Heart of Thorns |OT| Welcome to the Jungle...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made the new shinything. It's beautiful and I love it.

unknown.png

Massicot

I really don't like that the warrior F1 Sword Burst now uses the legendary projectile instead of fireballs. I know it doesn't really change anything, but I can barely see it now. I wonder if it's better on the new sword.

Time to make something like infinite light or some other non-legendary to use on the warrior instead.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Honestly bolt looks better.

I'm still curious what the scepter legendary projectiles look like though.

Also I'm slightly getting the hang of the new ability but I'm confused, basically the dirge isn't a passive, must be casted or else it will vanish, and you can only replenish it in shrines?

Hey all

I'm about to jump back into GW2 since being absent since just after launch

Is there a good Youtube channel to watch gameplay for the Elite Specializations?

Not to sure what class to roll.

Thanks

Edit: Not just gameplay but a rundown of how the Class/Elite Spec plays etc.

Wooden Potatoes did videos on all of them when they were initially announced for the Heart of Thorns expansion.

I think Metabattle is updated with the most "meta" builds that give a general briefing on the various strengths and play styles of the classes in all modes of play. http://metabattle.com/wiki/MetaBattle_Wiki

Honestly I'd pick what seems fun and roll with that. GW2 is a game where once you get a max level character the game starts throwing free levels at you for your other characters like candy making it one of the most alt friendly games around.

But generally

Warrior>Berserker: Solid damage and essential party damage buffs. Can do direct damage and condition damage well.

Guardian>Dragonhunter: Dragonhunters in PVE generally take the changes and utility from the elite spec while keeping their usual weapons so not too much has changed. The general role of the guardian is to bring damage, break bar damage and throw Protection on the party. In PVP, dragon hunters use their longbows and traps to dart in and out of melee combat while bringing a ton of self healing, blocks, and invulnerability. One of the weaker PVE classes but probably the strongest PVP class with 4 of the top 10 players maining Guardian last time I checked.

Revenant>Herald: Revenent game play seems to primarily be focus on complaining about Revenants on reddit and the official forums.

Mesmer>Chronomancer: Primarily a tanking and buff vehicle. Chronomancer's most important role is keeping quickness and alacrity (Increased action speed and cooldown speed respectively) on the party at all times. Has several other utilities like party wide invulnerability, projectile reflection, portals.

Necromancer>Reaper: Reaper is an example of an elite spec that failed at what it set out to do but still has a place. Reaper was supposed to be a slow, beastly fighter that does colossal but slow hits. Unfortunately the numbers have never really been in right place for this to work. Instead, most necromancers run reaper and focus on heavy condition damage. Necro is probably the best class for fractals, the main 5 man party content of the game, do to their deathshroud mechanic providing them with safe, easy, reliable damage.

Elementalist>Tempest: Can run damage and support fairly well. Damage tempests focus on using and cascading their various AOE attacks on top of each other for absurd levels of damage. Very much your classic fantasy wizards in many regards. You'll only ever see support eles in PVP.

Engineer>Scrapper: A highly survivable tanky bruiser spec. Focuses on melee combat and it's quirky gyros. One of the few elite specs that is rarely run in PVE. You'll only really see it in PVP. Engineers in general are all about having an absurd amount of options in combat with their various kit utility skills.

Thief>Daredevil: Takes the thief's high mobility and burst and cranks it up to 11 while giving it more sustain and team fight capacity. Thief perhaps more than all the elite specializations embodies being a direct upgrade to the class.

Rangers>Druids: Druids heal. In PVE druids focus entirely on healing so that they can enter their Celestial Avatars and heal some more, granting party members a unique damage buff in the form of Grace of the Land. I've seen Druids tank raids as well. Rangers will often not run Druid and go with a condition damage build that's one of the most in demand damage builds right now.

Edit: I should have just dug up this https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/4sduhr/which_class_should_i_play_2016/

Wooden Potatoes did videos on all of them when they were initially announced for the Heart of Thorns expansion.

I think Metabattle is updated with the most "meta" builds that give a general briefing on the various strengths and play styles of the classes in all modes of play. http://metabattle.com/wiki/MetaBattle_Wiki

Honestly I'd pick what seems fun and roll with that. GW2 is a game where once you get a max level character the game starts throwing free levels at you for your other characters like candy making it one of the most alt friendly games around.

But generally

Warrior>Berserker: Solid damage and essential party damage buffs. Can do direct damage and condition damage well.

Guardian>Dragonhunter: Dragonhunters in PVE generally take the changes and utility from the elite spec while keeping their usual weapons so not too much has changed. The general role of the guardian is to bring damage, break bar damage and throw Protection on the party. In PVP, dragon hunters use their longbows and traps to dart in and out of melee combat while bringing a ton of self healing, blocks, and invulnerability. One of the weaker PVE classes but probably the strongest PVP class with 4 of the top 10 players maining Guardian last time I checked.

Revenant>Herald: Revenent game play seems to primarily be focus on complaining about Revenants on reddit and the official forums.

Mesmer>Chronomancer: Primarily a tanking and buff vehicle. Chronomancer's most important role is keeping quickness and alacrity (Increased action speed and cooldown speed respectively) on the party at all times. Has several other utilities like party wide invulnerability, projectile reflection, portals.

Necromancer>Reaper: Reaper is an example of an elite spec that failed at what it set out to do but still has a place. Reaper was supposed to be a slow, beastly fighter that does colossal but slow hits. Unfortunately the numbers have never really been in right place for this to work. Instead, most necromancers run reaper and focus on heavy condition damage. Necro is probably the best class for fractals, the main 5 man party content of the game, do to their deathshroud mechanic providing them with safe, easy, reliable damage.

Elementalist>Tempest: Can run damage and support fairly well. Damage tempests focus on using and cascading their various AOE attacks on top of each other for absurd levels of damage. Very much your classic fantasy wizards in many regards. You'll only ever see support eles in PVP.

Engineer>Scrapper: A highly survivable tanky bruiser spec. Focuses on melee combat and it's quirky gyros. One of the few elite specs that is rarely run in PVE. You'll only really see it in PVP. Engineers in general are all about having an absurd amount of options in combat with their various kit utility skills.

Thief>Daredevil: Takes the thief's high mobility and burst and cranks it up to 11 while giving it more sustain and team fight capacity. Thief perhaps more than all the elite specializations embodies being a direct upgrade to the class.

Rangers>Druids: Druids heal. In PVE druids focus entirely on healing so that they can enter their Celestial Avatars and heal some more, granting party members a unique damage buff in the form of Grace of the Land. I've seen Druids tank raids as well. Rangers will often not run Druid and go with a condition damage build that's one of the most in demand damage builds right now.

Edit: I should have just dug up this https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/4sduhr/which_class_should_i_play_2016/

Aha, I just found that reddit thread earlier. Much appreciated for the reply though. Definitely going to go with what I feel most fun, just interested to see how the playstyle varies when you go into the Elite.

Thanks again!

Auraela

Banned
just so you know depending on what ur doing dont feel as though you gotta be forced into the meta. im loving ranger and im not following the meta im just crusing along as a longbow and sometimes using a greatsword, its fun and others have commented in game how its nice to see something that isnt using the bog standard condi etc.

just play around with each class they all have fun things and there will be one that suits u more

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Oh wow the projectile update made Juggernaut really great, especially on Revenant.

DF3LYUtVYAEfTte.jpg

DF3Laa6VYAAV6IG.jpg

DF3Laa5UwAA9MOR.jpg

DF3Laa9VoAEGbUb.jpg

Really helps that Juggs has a really good weapon trail, so the projectile ends up looking "massive". It's like I'm hurling paint!

Ashodin

just so you know depending on what ur doing dont feel as though you gotta be forced into the meta. im loving ranger and im not following the meta im just crusing along as a longbow and sometimes using a greatsword, its fun and others have commented in game how its nice to see something that isnt using the bog standard condi etc.

just play around with each class they all have fun things and there will be one that suits u more

Yeah same here. I actually play a might/healing based Guardian so I dish out AOE heals a plenty while in combat so I'm very handy to hang around.

Running all Power/Precision/Healing.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
anyone having some weird lag spikes. my ping is at 3k for some reason, but my internet seems fine? just want to know if it's a game server issue, or is it truly my internet.

Error

I went with Guardian because I liked the blue flame theme of it.

Very superficial yeah, but I'm very superficial in MMO. Mostly based everything on looks, and I liked the paladin archetype in these games. I mained a Paladin in FF14.

was happening to me in the new Orr map
Was thinking it was just me.

Don't run Meta, Meta is for brain dead fuckers who rather have someone tell them how to play their class than actually learning..

tumblr_mllin8jVuJ1s5746vo2_500.gif

I'm mean if you're just running around in the open world, sure. Open world, especially core Tyria poses next to 0 threat to you so it's perfectly fine to run around will all sorts of wacky builds. But in actual hard content and against real players there is a reason the meta happens. No one is going to clear a raid wing with 10 nomad shout heal warriors no matter how much they enjoy the build.

Ashodin

No one is going to clear a raid wing with 10 nomad shout heal warriors no matter how much they enjoy the build.

lol

As if that would get attempted anyway

But on the real, most hard content isn't "hard" to the point where you "need" specific builds. Just tweaks to skills you're using so that you can break bars, pick up a hammer instead for knockback, and you're good.

Meta is for people who love numbers and want to push those numbers to the best they can be. It's all about efficiency for those who follow it.

But it's not necessary. Everyone plays the game to their standard of "fun".

I'm mean if you're just running around in the open world, sure. Open world, especially core Tyria poses next to 0 threat to you so it's perfectly fine to run around will all sorts of wacky builds. But in actual hard content and against real players there is a reason the meta happens. No one is going to clear a raid wing with 10 nomad shout heal warriors no matter how much they enjoy the build.

Let me clarify a bit...
Learn your class first, don't copy and paste shit, you will never learn the strengths and weakness of the build, do i check on meta builds? yes, my Engineer runs one of the raid meta, but I didn't copy and paste that shit, i learn it from testing 1, 2, 3, over and over, also run WvW build, and PvP from pure testing, my friend copy and paste and I see him dying a lot because he has no clue what the weakness of the build, also for some situations may call for you to change traits from bottom to top, but players who copy and paste don't know this, I call Meta brain dead for a reason, it teaches players this is the way to win, with out learning shit...

Auraela

Banned

But thats the thing im not here for PvP fractals or raids. I love guild wars for its story. N as an mmo nothing compares too it for exploration and rewarding you for that. The sheer content is incredible n i love how im not forced into content that i dont desire like other mmo

Let me clarify a bit...
Learn your class first, don't copy and paste shit, you will never learn the strengths and weakness of the build, do i check on meta builds? yes, my Engineer runs one of the raid meta, but I didn't copy and paste that shit, i learn it from testing 1, 2, 3, over and over, also run WvW build, and PvP from pure testing, my friend copy and paste and I see him dying a lot because he has no clue what the weakness of the build, also for some situations may call for you to change traits from bottom to top, but players who copy and paste don't know this, I call Meta brain dead for a reason, it teaches players this is the way to win, with out learning shit...

I mean just taking Chronomancer for example as that's what I main, without being aware of the meta I doubt the vast majority of Chronomancers are going to be aware that they can get 100% up time of quickness and alacrity. They might be aware that mesmers can provide a large amount of quickness to the group but I doubt they'll come to that conclusion as it requires being aware of how to get to 100% boon duration with specific foods, utilities, sigil of concentration, and specific combinations of Commander's or Minstrel's gear. No one person could ever really come up with something and it's just about the best thing a Chronomancer can provide for the group in a PvE setting.

I don't consider it brain dead at all. Quite the opposite in fact. It took a community of players going through Heart of Thorns, meticulously charting all the new stat types, traits, and runes, with plenty of people mixing and matching armor+weapon+trinket combinations and rune and sigils not to mention figuring out the perfect rotations. And together, people gravitated towards two particular builds; the Berserker and Minstrel boonshare Chronomancer builds.

If it wasn't for the community coming around the meta you'd have ten thousand mesmer builds doing poor damage, not tanking, not providing boons, not pulling mobs and not really contributing much of anything to the group and I don't think that's anywhere near as interesting and thoughtful as the current meta build pushing the Chronomancer's effectiveness to it's limit.

Metabuilds are the community as a whole teaching itself the most effective way to win. And I think that's pretty darn neat. I'm know I'm enjoying the game more now that I have more confidence that my entire party would get themselves killed off in fights immediately leaving me to mostly solo the instance like the bad old days before the expansion and the meta fully formed.

Grudy

Man that story was just all over the place. I think overall I prefer the story in season 2 over 3, even though the latter is crazier and bigger. The buildup and finale of season 2 was really well done. Season 3, on the other hand, feels convoluted and messy, with the writers trying to one up themselves at every turn in an attempt at keeping players interested. I was a much bigger fan of the stories in GW1 when they felt personal and focused; kinda had a sense of adventure to them that I haven't felt sine we went off exploring Dry Top and Silverwastes, though it could be nostalgia speaking. I just wish Anet would take us to a new location of the world again. The existing lore feels more like a crutch to them than an aid at this point.

The Lyssa and Dwayna portions of the new map was worth it though. The level design in this game continues to outshine everything else by a mile.

Man that story was just all over the place. I think overall I prefer the story in season 2 over 3, even though the latter is crazier and bigger. The buildup and finale of season 2 was really well done. Season 3 feels convoluted and messy, with the writers trying to one up themselves at every turn in an attempt at keeping players interested. I was a much bigger fan of the stories in GW1 when the stories felt personal and focused, kinda had a sense of adventure to them that I haven't felt sine we went off exploring Dry Top and Silverwastes, though it could be nostalgia speaking. I wish Anet would take us to a new location of the world again. The existing lore feels more like a crutch to them than an aid at this point.

The Lyssa and Dwayna portions of the new map was worth it though. The level design in this game continues to outshine everything else by a mile.

Season 2 definitely had it's strengths. I made an elementalist last year and played through the whole story again for the first time in years and Season 2 has a great cohesion to it and has some great instanced boss content. I don't think in terms of gameplay any of the bosses in Season 3 stand up to either fight with the Shadow of the Dragon and even a lot of the smaller boss fights are unique and well designed. Getting every achievement solo for LWS2 was a challenge I felt really proud of doing at the time.

Season 2 unfortunately meanders at points, most notably with Caithe and the egg and all the episodes where you had to play as her which I personally couldn't stand.

I think it's biggest problem is that it's too narrow in scope. The season takes place mostly in two maps that look pretty similar. They're great levels,but I play games like these to go on globe trotting adventures and spending all that time cooped up in the desert or backtracking to areas that weren't interesting the first time just got old.

Apples and Oranges i think the Meta is brain dead, you think it helps, not going to get into some shit in this dead community, GW2 is dead on GaF..

Error

Ten more levels until I finally get to 80 with my Guard.

I dont know on which class I should use the level 80 boost.

Massicot

Ten more levels until I finally get to 80 with my Guard.

I dont know on which class I should use the level 80 boost.

My recommendations would be either Mesmer or Ranger. Mesmer because it's pretty annoying to level conventionally, and Ranger because they are highly versatile as max level druids.

Edit:The downside is that Mesmer takes a while to learn, so skipping to 80 would still leave you not really sure how to play the class.

Auraela

Banned
Man that story was just all over the place. I think overall I prefer the story in season 2 over 3, even though the latter is crazier and bigger. The buildup and finale of season 2 was really well done. Season 3, on the other hand, feels convoluted and messy, with the writers trying to one up themselves at every turn in an attempt at keeping players interested. I was a much bigger fan of the stories in GW1 when they felt personal and focused; kinda had a sense of adventure to them that I haven't felt sine we went off exploring Dry Top and Silverwastes, though it could be nostalgia speaking. I just wish Anet would take us to a new location of the world again. The existing lore feels more like a crutch to them than an aid at this point.

Doesnt help when ur rabid fanbase demand i want Cantha i want elona i want tengu.

Those 3 things have been demanded so much anet will never make people happy if we get jusr new entirely areas. Everyone will be like this isnt Cantha or elona wtf

I can't wait for Tuesday. I want to see what they'll do with the
mounts system and new classes. I'm also wondering if that whole purchasing waypoints thing ties into the mount system. It'd be a good way to encourage you to use your mount to travel, assuming they provide a noticeable improvement to movement.

Error

any reason why i get 20 stacks of might with scepter sometimes? which passive?

also I swear I saw a passive that makes symbols last longer and be bigger, but now I can't find it.

My recommendations would be either Mesmer or Ranger. Mesmer because it's pretty annoying to level conventionally, and Ranger because they are highly versatile as max level druids.

Edit:The downside is that Mesmer takes a while to learn, so skipping to 80 would still leave you not really sure how to play the class.
I have a mesmer at level 40, I think I'll just use tomes of knowledge to level him.

Massicot

any reason why i get 20 stacks of might with scepter sometimes? which passive?

also I swear I saw a passive that makes symbols last longer and be bigger, but now I can't find it.

I have a mesmer at level 40, I think I'll just use tomes of knowledge to level him.

The scepter symbol gives might if you stand in it. You might also have the Zealous Scepter or Empowering Might traits on. The bigger symbols trait is in Honor.

Grudy

Doesnt help when ur rabid fanbase demand i want Cantha i want elona i want tengu.

Those 3 things have been demanded so much anet will never make people happy if we get jusr new entirely areas. Everyone will be like this isnt Cantha or elona wtf
It's always been my opinion that Anet listens to their community a bit too much. Obviously the devs should listen to feedback about missing features, bugs, and how certain elements are received, but Anet goes all the way and it sometimes feel like the community is designing the game by metric of how many people rage about something on reddit. I can't cite any examples at this moment because my memory is crap, but that was the general notion I had pre-HoT. I guess WvW is the clearest example here but I remember that mentality leaking into the PvE from time to time. I guess none of it was important enough to remember.

Error

The scepter symbol gives might if you stand in it. You might also have the Zealous Scepter or Empowering Might traits on. The bigger symbols trait is in Honor.
I miss the mobility of the sword 2 and the extra protection focus gives with focus 5. But the scepter/torch combo seems pretty nice from a dps perspective with all the might stacking.

Ashodin

While I agree with you, meta is a dirty word round here, BEWARE slides back into the closet

I'd say it's less of a dirty word and more of a "different strokes for different folks" word.

I love having huge symbols that heal! I have to drop back into Guardian to get both I think though.

Ashodin

Scepter has a symbol now?

I need to use more of my weapons... >.>

Yeah totally changed the gameplay of Guardian a bit, also was totally needed. The abilities worked similar to Symbols (Scepter way too much so) and Sword used a boost.

Error

Going as a Norn to the human zones is funny. You really notice the height difference. All these puny humans.

I feel like Ranger is the choice. Not only are they always valuble, I do think leveling a mesmer is important for teaching you about the class because it's so unusual and complicated compared to others.

Metabotting destroyed GAF.

Anet did that with Horrible tunnel vision maps in HoT..i hope the new expansion is larger than HoT, content is king for any MMO, and when you charged $50 for content that was probably $30 you gonna lose players, if they didn't learn that lesson from HoT, they are going to see more players leave, some of my friends playing FF14 want to come back to GW2, but they don't want to waste money, if the content review shows this new expansion is also trash, they will stay in FF14...

Prophecies...Great.
Factions..Shit.
Nightfall..Great.
Eye of the North..Shit.
GW2..Great..
Heart of Thorns...Shit.
Going by this pattern the Expansion should be good....at least i hope..

Error

Anet did that with Horrible tunnel vision maps in HoT..i hope the new expansion is larger than HoT, content is king for any MMO, and when you charged $50 for content that was probably $30 you gonna lose players, if they didn't learn that lesson from HoT, they are going to see more players leave, some of my friends playing FF14 want to come back to GW2, but they don't want to waste money, if the content review shows this new expansion is also trash, they will stay in FF14...

if, going by the leaks, they are
introducing mounts
there's no way they'll do normal sized maps with that mechanic. I expect the zones to be really really big.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom