• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 - Heart of Thorns |OT| Welcome to the Jungle...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Coming back to the game for the first time in forever. Barely reached level 40 on my old account. Am I missing anything by skipping straight to 80 with my boost?
I think most people would say no but I say you definitely are missing out.... best to save that boost for your second or even third character IMO.

What I mean by this is that the leveling process (which itself is fast- going from level 79-80 takes the same amount of XP as going from 44 to 45 in this game) gives you an opportunity to just head out into and explore the zones doing whatever looks cool, and figuring out which areas of the map you really enjoy. You could do all this stuff at 80 but on most of the lower-level maps, XP is the primary reward (and you can level up even at level 70 in a level 30 map for example), so the impetus to do so once you're already at 80 is a lot less, and you'd be missing out on some of the best stuff in the game.

Once you have spent a bunch of time in a zone (100% completion, seen a ton of its dynamic events, etc.) it's a lot less fun to run through it a second time. If you open up most of the world on one character, the 80 boost is a lot more sensible on an alt.

Granted if the exploration aspect is of no consequence to you and you just want to try high-level stuff like Fractals, the big world bosses and map events, and raids, then go for it.

The guild is very much still around, it's just not as big as it once was.

OK, cool. I was gonna be disappointed if the guild wasn't still there. I may need readded. I'll post it in here when I'm ready to rock again. Time is short this week because of work.

Coming back to the game for the first time in forever. Barely reached level 40 on my old account. Am I missing anything by skipping straight to 80 with my boost?

In my opinion, yeah. Part of the fun for me is the journey. YMMV though.

Vena

Looks to me like they're going in hardcore on the parallels between Balthazar and his fanatics, and Abaddon and the Margonites. Even see the same (seemingly?) warping of the most devout followers into abominations of human+god-magic.

Of course, Abaddon was actually extremely pro-human + magic (to an extreme point of folly that would have endangered everything) whereas Balthazar just seems to be an asshole who is endangering everything for no yet clear reason.

I still don't know if ANet wanted me to see (original) Abaddon as "evil" or not because I never really perceived him as such. He's evil by the time of Nightfall because he's rather clearly gone batshit insane and mad, but the original plot wasn't exactly clear on why I am supposed to think of him as evil. Misguided, yes, but not evil.

In lieu of the whole dragons + god's running away, Abaddon ends up looking like a good guy in his attempts to empower humans (though I guess that would have resulted in the annihilation and/or enslavement of every other race).

Gala

Stormbluff Isle but it doesn't matter at all as long as you pick an NA server. If you are interested in WvW, you should consider choosing your server based on that. https://leaderboards.guildwars2.com/en/na/wvw
(SBI isn't bad by any means but again it's just not relevant as far as the guild, everything is cross server)

Thanks for the information. Otherwise I would have started on an EU server. Gonna watch some profession and elite profession videos now to see what sounds fun for me :)

Edit: I think I'm gonna go with Ranger, Druid sounds like a lot of fun later on. My account name is Gala.2857

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Looks to me like they're going in hardcore on the parallels between Balthazar and his fanatics, and Abaddon and the Margonites. Even see the same (seemingly?) warping of the most devout followers into abominations of human+god-magic.

Of course, Abaddon was actually extremely pro-human + magic (to an extreme point of folly that would have endangered everything) whereas Balthazar just seems to be an asshole who is endangering everything for no yet clear reason.

I still don't know if ANet wanted me to see (original) Abaddon as "evil" or not because I never really perceived him as such. He's evil by the time of Nightfall because he's rather clearly gone batshit insane and mad, but the original plot wasn't exactly clear on why I am supposed to think of him as evil. Misguided, yes, but not evil.

In lieu of the whole dragons + god's running away, Abaddon ends up looking like a good guy in his attempts to empower humans (though I guess that would have resulted in the annihilation and/or enslavement of every other race).
Regardless of whether Abaddon or Balth are positioned as net evil/good, in between or neither in the end... shouldn't Kormir have something to say about all this? No mention at all yet, right?

Morokh

Regardless of whether Abaddon or Balth are positioned as net evil/good, in between or neither in the end... shouldn't Kormir have something to say about all this? No mention at all yet, right?

The NPC's in the first instance they showed mention Kormir when you rescue them.

Taffer

All of the features and maps that were released to the game by Living World S2 can be accessed without either purchasing Heart of Thorns or Season 2; only the story missions themselves, achievements and associated rewards are locked. For that matter, all of the features and maps introduced by Season 3 are accessible as long as you own Heart of Thorns, with only the missions etc. locked.

I think the S3 maps require the associated S3 chapter to access?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I think the S3 maps require the associated S3 chapter to access?
Oh, really? You get an error if you just try to walk in? That blows. Definitely was not the case for the maps added in S2 so that seems like a step backward in the content scheme.

edit: Thinking about it now... Bloodstone Fen and the Ring of Fire are just unreachable by map traversal in the first place. So yeah that sucks. What about Bitterfrost Frontier though?

Taffer

Oh, really? You get an error if you just try to walk in? That blows. Definitely was not the case for the maps added in S2 so that seems like a step backward in the content scheme.

edit: Thinking about it now... Bloodstone Fen and the Ring of Fire are just unreachable by map traversal in the first place. So yeah that sucks. What about Bitterfrost Frontier though?

I checked the LFG in-game and each Season 3 map except Bitterfrost includes a warning that you need HoT & the LS Episode to access. Bitterfrost just has a normal LFG description so I don't know.

Tech-Wolf

I checked the LFG in-game and each Season 3 map except Bitterfrost includes a warning that you need HoT & the LS Episode to access. Bitterfrost just has a normal LFG description so I don't know.

(excluding teleport to friend to that map which only work if you have the chapter 3 unlocked) you need the kodan mastery to even access the map by default. Aka you need to melt the ice wall with the kodan torch. I dunno if you can train it even if you don't have chapter 3

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
(excluding teleport to friend to that map which only work if you have the chapter 3 unlocked) you need the kodan mastery to even access the map by default. Aka you need to melt the ice wall with the kodan torch. I dunno if you can train it even if you don't have chapter 3
Eh that's probably in there exactly for that reason (to prevent regular travel). I bet the mastery track is tied to that specific chapter unlock.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Did WvW ever become fun again? I miss the small skirmishes when the game came out - before people figured out sticking as a mindless herd was more efficient.

you could go to their forum about it

I managed to remove my authenticator because that shit didn't work with me

Ended up going to T-Mobile just now and having them temporarily revive the line long enough to get the code so I could change the number for authentication. Took only 5 minutes so it was painless.

Is there a command to see your ping or latency in-game?

I'm from Pakistan, playing on the Europe servers and I'd like to know the exact delay.

Ashodin

I'm expecting Rytlock to have seen either Balthazar or the other gods in the mists.

I haven't been able to look up all the expansion info to the degree I want to yet but the footage I've seen of the zones looks great and I'm very pleased with how they implemented the mounts. I personally wouldn't have complained if they were simply to get around large zones faster but this is so much better and shows they put thought into the addition and how it will impact their world. It sounds great that the direction and focus is on exploration but perhaps most importantly, the very brief impressions I've seen of the elite specializations look cool and even better than the last batch. I'm really just waiting for the walk through videos of the new skills for the specializations. As I went back to my Ele, I'm namely focused on Weaver and the concept sounds great, looking forward to seeing how it will actually play. Bounties sound cool too, much easier to do these than guild oriented ones for a lot of people.

Also, OMG PALAWA JOKO!!!! We dared hope for this but man it's awesome to see it confirmed! Hype really up with this addition :D Balthazar minions, Joko minions, AND Kalk minions? Sounds like a fantastic lineup of enemies.

On another note, I'm really bummed I didn't go for my favorite Legendary, Bolt now that Eles are getting sword :( I'm too far in to Nevermore to not complete it, I can't just repurpose the items for Bolt. Well, some I could as I haven't gotten around to buying up T6 mats or collecting the last few clovers but I'm super close to completing Nevermore, I could literally just buy the last bit of ingredients. You can't sell Nevermore, right? In which case I could do that and buy Bolt straight up. At least I already have ascended zerk swords made for my Mez and Rev that I can give to my Ele.

Reani

i have a question about s2 living story pack for gems that is on sale:
is it just a collection of story missions or there is reasonable unique stuff and perks for completing it?
if its just story i couldnt care less

Massicot

Oof. This one is kind of rough. Needed badly, but still rough. There isn't any utility that particularly benefits Zerker Chronos that they've listed. I wonder exactly how many extra pieces of commander gear I'll need.

And some condition builds already barely met 100% duration. Rangers werent even there.

Gonna see a lot more Malice sigils or maybe agony. Nightmare runes too maybe?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
i have a question about s2 living story pack for gems that is on sale:
is it just a collection of story missions or there is reasonable unique stuff and perks for completing it?
if its just story i couldnt care less
Hmm not sure what you mean by perks. There are unique rewards, but I wouldn't remotely consider the price as payment for just those if the missions themselves are of no value to you.

And some condition builds already barely met 100% duration. Rangers werent even there.

Gonna see a lot more Malice sigils or maybe agony. Nightmare runes too maybe?

I don't think it's the end of the world if some condition damage builds just can't get to 100% condition damage duration. Rangers are still doing 34k realistic DPS without it right now. I mean yeah, it's the most valuable stat and now there is less of it and that sucks. But the condi meta is getting out of control.

I remember laughing when the devs said the Berserker stats meta would end in Heart of Thorns.

Plus this is happening with a full on balance patch. You're going to see all sorts of adjustments. Wooden Potatoes hinted at a big condi reaper nerf, power reaper buff during the Expansion show yesterday for example, to help make room for Scourge who do get 7% condition damage converted into duration.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
So what do I concentrate next after reaching level 80? for group content like fractals do I need the best gear available, do I concentrate on leveling my crafting or keep on with map completion?

So what do I concentrate next after reaching level 80? for group content like fractals do I need the best gear available, do I concentrate on leveling my crafting or keep on with map completion?
Depends on what you want to do. For fractals, you do eventually need ascended equipment because of agony, but outside of that no content (even raids) absolutely requires it.

Do what seems fun.

Wallach

Looking forward to getting back into this again. No shroud Necro sounds super weird, but I'm down to mess with it. I think I'm a little more interested in the Spellbreaker though. Heavy armor dagger-wielding anti-mage sounds like my kind of "fair."

Edit - actually now that I've had a chance to look over their details a bit more the Scourge is probably what I'll focus on first.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Definitely make a goal out of getting a set of level 80 exotic armor and weapons with runes and sigils you like, regardless of what endgame activities you're going for. This will serve you well through very nearly everything except the super highest level fractals which require Ascended.

But you can acquire Exotic gear in an enormous number of ways, so as far as your more general question about what to focus on, you should try a little bit of everything to see what you like.

Kalentan

Well I tried to do Raids and even joined a guild for it. Turns out my Warrior build isn't Meta and the closest Meta one around isn't what is needed so they want me to go Condition Damage Warrior which involves me basically throwing out everything I have... I think not.

Don't think Raiding is happening for me.

Ashodin

Looking forward to getting back into this again. No shroud Necro sounds super weird, but I'm down to mess with it. I think I'm a little more interested in the Spellbreaker though. Heavy armor dagger-wielding anti-mage sounds like my kind of "fair."

Edit - actually now that I've had a chance to look over their details a bit more the Scourge is probably what I'll focus on first.

gimme that lightsaber wielding holosmith what conjures weapons from thin air

Gummy

Neo Member
Like many, I was impressed with the expansion reveal.

However, I don't think I can come back to the bags inside of bags inside of boxes loot-shenanigans that has plagued this game. Have they ever acknowledged this problem, let alone talk about plans to fix it?

However, I don't think I can come back to the bags inside of bags inside of boxes loot-shenanigans that has plagued this game. Have they ever acknowledged this problem, let alone talk about plans to fix it?
Ummm... you can now right click a salvage kit and select "salvage all greens and blues."

Ashodin

Lots of stuff is now using map currency + karma off vendors, so they're moving away from less and less "bags in bags". But there's still the usual rare bag from a Champion that has items in it. It's just WAY easier to deal with now with the "Salvage All Rares / Uncommon" etc. It used to be a chore but the game automates a lot of it now.

Massicot

The one word answer to this question is: no, it hasn't fundamentally changed. I do think however that between

• Material Deposit
  • Extended Material Storage (they just made several dozen more items able to be deposited)
  • Salvage All

That things are really manageable. The only missing thing is that I still think that there should be a toggle to flag minor/major runes and sigils as "junk" items so that they can be sold with a single click. It's not a perfectly elegant solution but I think it would still be worth the option.

Jira

Yeah that is also on my list. I just logged in earlier and there was some really dope techno armor that I'm gonna put on my Engineer.

Glad to see you back Wallach. I'm glad they dropped shroud in favor of something else because if they went with it again, I feel it would have just been another new skin so to speak. Awesome that it's looking like a condi/support Rit like spec.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I tried engi once but those were too many keys to press :p

Holosmith does look cool, though.

In other news Personal Story 8 is looooooong.

Wallach

Glad to see you back Wallach. I'm glad they dropped shroud in favor of something else because if they went with it again, I feel it would have just been another new skin so to speak. Awesome that it's looking like a condi/support Rit like spec.

/wave

Yeah, it's good to mix the class up more since both regular Necromancer and Reaper lean on the shroud mechanics so hard.

On the other hand it obviously raises a lot of questions about how the Scourge is supposed to actually deal with not having access to shroud. I didn't really see an abundance of stability in the tooltip previews, so I suspect the class will probably get mopped up pretty bad in group PvP. Seems like it will be a very PvE focused specialization due to that, though that sits fine with me.

Spellbreaker seems super cool to me but I also wonder if it will have much PvE use as it does look a bit PvP oriented.

Vena

I just can't stand the Revenant. Its attacking animations/styles just feel like they have no weight behind them.

I just can't stand the Revenant. Its attacking animations/styles just feel like they have no weight behind them.

The Rev fill a heavy armor roll, but IMO that should have gone with Paragon, or even a revamp Dervish after 250 years they wear Heavy Armor, as i have stated before not getting a new class for Po,F i think it's time to retool Rev...

jmartoine

Reinstalled the game last night. Didn't realize I only had 2 story missions left for Heart of Thorns when I stopped playing, once I finish Crash 3 I'll jump back into this. I mained a ranger but didn't really like the Druid elite spec, disappointed me but I enjoyed having a different role in the group content.

Does GAF have an EU guild or is it just NA?

Ashodin

Reinstalled the game last night. Didn't realize I only had 2 story missions left for Heart of Thorns when I stopped playing, once I finish Crash 3 I'll jump back into this. I mained a ranger but didn't really like the Druid elite spec, disappointed me but I enjoyed having a different role in the group content.

Does GAF have an EU guild or is it just NA?

Just NA. EU Guild was merged in because the servers weren't really terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom