• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 - Heart of Thorns |OT| Welcome to the Jungle...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashodin

Soulbeast F skills

Armor Fish
F1 – Protection
F2 – Chomp

Bear
F1 – Bite
F2 – Defy Pain

Bird
F1 – Swoop
F2 – Quickening Screech

Canine
F1 – Crippling Leap
F2 – Brutal Charge

Devourer
F1 – Tail Lash
F2 – Devourer Retreat

Drake
F1 – Chomp
F2 – Tail Swipe

Jacaranda
F1 – Call Lightning
Calls lightning to small area (15s CD, Five hits, 1 vuln per hit, ground targetted)
F2 – Photosynthesize
Restore health, gain regen and remove (2) conditions
(20s CD)

Fanged Iboga
F1 – Crippling Anguish
Launch a projectile that inflicts conditions
(6s CD – 3 confusions, 1 torment)
F2 – Narcotic Spores
Spit a glob of confusing spores at a foe, inflicting confusion for a while at that location.
(15s CD, AoE 6 pulses, 1 confusion per pulse)

Feline
F1 – Bite
F2 – Maul

Jellyfish
F1 – Healing Cloud
F2 – Dark Water

Moa
F1 – Harmonic Cry
F2 – Frenzied Attack

Porcine
F1 – Maul
F2 – Brutal Charge

Saurian
F1 – Sharpen Spines
F2 – Rain of Spikes

Shark
F1 – Charging Bite
F2 – Fear

Smokescale
F1 – Takedown
F2 – Smoke Assault

Spider
F1 – Entangling Web
F2 – Poison Gas

Wyvern
F1 – Tail Lash
F2 – Wing Buffet

F3 (Beast) Skills

Deadly Pets – Primal Cry
Tap into your primal essence and unleash a debilitating roar._
(20s CD 3 Bleeds, 9 Vulns – 3 pulses, 1 bleed per pulse, 3 vulns per pulse)
This is the Condi? Archetype – Attribute bonuses are Extra Precision and Extra Condition Damage

??? Pets – Prelude Lash
Pull foes toward you and bind them briefly
(25s CD)
This is the Control Archetype

??? Pets – Spiritual Reprieve
Restore health to your allies and grant them a reprieve from conditions
(40s CD – mega heal burst + resistance 3s for 5 allies in a 600 radius)
This is the Healing Archetype

??? Pets – Worldly Impact
Jump up and slam the ground beneath you, severely damaging nearby foes.
(25s CD, high damage, leap finisher, 240 radius, 5 targets)
This is the Power? AoE? Archetype

The weaver is truly insane in terms of the sheer number of skills it's getting, but the Soulbeast is no slouch in that regard, either.

It does seem like Anet is going all out on the specs this time around, though I suspect Chronomancer, Druid, and Berserker to stay PVE meta, unless something comes around that's better.

Massicot

Most (all?) of those are just the pet skills that they already have. I mean, some of those would be super nice to be able to do on command, like Maul, Wing Buffet, Tail Swipe. But if you lose the current F2 ability? Hmm. Will be interesting to try out.

Dizzy-4U

So I've got this sweet viper chestplate for my condi warrior. Do I really need to finish HoT with several characters to have the full set? There is no other way?

Edit: Oh wait, I guess it can be done by crafting also. Damn, I'm screwed.

Massicot

So I've got this sweet viper chestplate for my condi warrior. Do I really need to finish HoT with several characters to have the full set? There is no other way?

Edit: Oh wait, I guess it can be done by crafting also. Damn, I'm screwed.

You can convert ascended armor over as long as you can craft the insignia. As for exotic, you have to craft completely afaik.

It does seem like Anet is going all out on the specs this time around, though I suspect Chronomancer, Druid, and Berserker to stay PVE meta, unless something comes around that's better.

Agreed on Chrono, Druid, and Zerker. The devs have said that Spellbreaker is straight up the PvP warrior spec like Scapper was for engineer. I think the PvE meta is going to look like:

Heart of Thrones Elites:
Condi Berserker
Druid
Chronomancer
Daredevil
Herald

Path of Fire Elites:
Power Holosmith
Condi Weaver
Condi Scourge
Condi Firebrand

Some specs like Mirage Soulbeast will be viable dps in PvE if there is already a chrono and Druid.

I really don't think spellbreaker is going to be as bad in PvE as people are saying. More or less convinced everyone saying spellbreaker is a purely PvP spec hasn't looked at its skills.

It has might on the dagger auto attack, might on all burst skills, +damage vs enemies with no boons (most of end game PvE), and there's nothing that says PS can't be taken with it. If anything, it'll be an alternative to PPS. If raids or fractals implement more boons, then I wouldn't be surprised to see it outclass PPS.

I really don't think spellbreaker is going to be as bad in PvE as people are saying. More or less convinced everyone saying spellbreaker is a purely PvP spec hasn't looked at its skills.

It has might on the dagger auto attack, might on all burst skills, +damage vs enemies with no boons (most of end game PvE), and there's nothing that says PS can't be taken with it. If anything, it'll be an alternative to PPS. If raids or fractals implement more boons, then I wouldn't be surprised to see it outclass PPS.

Do we know if the Dual Wielding trait in arms will effect daggers? I'd have to imagine it would.

I think spell breaker is going to be good for open world stuff and soloing. Like full counter has an 8 second base cooldown. There is lifesteal on crit. That is a really low cooldown to ignore damage on command.

But even taking into account that you can still run phalanx strength on it, there is so way it can out damage berserker. So it won't get run.

Plus the devs have straight up told us this.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Druid is good for PvE? They're too supportish for me. The only reason I keep it is for the pseudo-switfness.

Do we know if the Dual Wielding trait in arms will effect daggers? I'd have to imagine it would.

I think spell breaker is going to be good for open world stuff and soloing. Like full counter has an 8 second base cooldown. There is lifesteal on crit. That is a really low cooldown to ignore damage on command.

But even taking into account that you can still run phalanx strength on it, there is so way it can out damage berserker. So it won't get run.
I think it's really just down to how the numbers shake out. If it turns out that the extra might generation from dagger means that other classes can shift points around, or if running D/Sh + M/Sh or similar offers better CC than current PPS, or if the +damage vs foes with no boons damage buffs compensate for the loss of berserk passably, then like i said, we might see an alternative. A 9/10 to berserker PPS 10/10, perhaps.

If, on top of that, the mass boon rip and interrupts (particularly that ult) allow for certain mechanics to be skipped/gimped, then I imagine spellbreaker will be very relevant.

Really, though, my point isn't that it will be super good in PvE or anything, just that writing it off as being as irrelevant as scrapper seems premature as it has all the tools to be good in PvE if encounter design and balance are willing.
Plus the devs have straight up told us this.
they also told us reaper was a power dps spec, tbf.
Druid is good for PvE? They're too supportish for me. The only reason I keep it is for the pseudo-switfness.
Druid is pretty godly in raids. PS Warrior, Druid, and Chrono is pretty much the raid core afaik.
My b, didn't read your second post. I used a condi druid through half my time with HoT and found it was pretty good in open world and story instances. Strong defensive options, good condi dps, fairly good movement options with the right weapon switches. Has some of everything. Idk how power is. Magi is iffy, ofc.

I kind of hate how you had to unlock them points wise for every last class/character you had. Sucks having to do the same skill points again and again, given how some of them are not too popular to do.

I think i still have yet to max a single elite spec.

I kind of hate how you had to unlock them points wise for every last class/character you had. Sucks having to do the same skill points again and again, given how some of them are not too popular to do.

I think i still have yet to max a single elite spec.
Lots of HP trains going around lately. Jump in on one of those and let a commander carry you through. ezpz.

Morokh

Lots of HP trains going around lately. Jump in on one of those and let a commander carry you through. ezpz.

HP trains have been a thing for a while and many people running them usually go the extra mile and guide you towards the nearest Poi / Vista / Mastery points on the way which makes those runs a great thing for map completion as well.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Swapped from XB1 controller to Dualshock and it certainly feels better. The bumpers 100% suck for holding down.

Now I just need to get a bluetooth adapter so I don't have a long USB cord across my living room.

There is a bug with the action camera that I reported several times but they never fixed. Anything to the left of 50% on the Vertical Postion Far slider resets to 50% height when you go into action camera, so it shifts the camera up. The slider will still say it's at what you set it at so the normal camera will shift back down when you exit action camera. There is no way to counter that. The only way you can get the height consistent between both modes is keeping that slider at 50% or higher and adjusting the others to see if you can get something more to your liking.

Thanks! That did it - what a terribly odd bug. Adjusting vertical position to 50% is a bit of a bummer but if it means switching from glitchy autohotkey, I'm all for it.

Interesting... I never even consider disabling it during combat so I'm not sure, I'll try to play around with it. What is the benefit of turning it off for strafing?

It's for quick use of moving the cursor around the battlefield. I find it super useful when there are multiple enemies around.

Does anyone use an XB1 controller to play this? Any tips/recent guides?

Anything in particular you want to know? Did you already set yourself up with control scheme? I would link the controller guide by Hawkian/Weltall but I'm not sure if it still holds up.

Dizzy-4U

Created a thief yesterday just for fun and my goodness, the movement speed is insane. Signet of Shadows + small bow teleport is so crazy. I think I'm gonna like this profession.

Some of my Characters...
My 3 Slyvari characters.
Guardian.. Necro...Rev..
guardianw9sqk.png
necro1t4syk.png
revodse4.png

Humans
Thief.........Mesmer
thief4nsjc.png
mesmer74shw.png

My Necro in his Pimp Outfit lol...
necro26sa2.png

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Does anyone use an XB1 controller to play this? Any tips/recent guides?
I play almost 100% of the time with a 360 controller using Xpadder with Action cam. Don't think there are any major differences between XB1 and 360 so I'd think it should work fine

I just saw that they added a "hold to disable Action cam" keybind which is wonderful because that's how the best iteration of the controller scheme used to work before action cam became a thing. I am going to slightly rework my xpadder profile to support this and will post a link tonight to the latest. If you want to try my solution for it you can check it out
Yep, I'm totally keeping the thief. I've been watching some videos and looks great.
thieves are the best :3

I just did Episode 6. Very nice stuff. I like Sirens Landing a lot. Very, very nice map. Best Orr map ever!

Spellbreaker looks amazing, but I don't PvP. D:

I've never played Ele, but I think this expansion is all about Weaver. They CAN WEAVE ATUNEMENTS.

WEAVE.

ATUNEMENTS.

THIS IS SOME OF THE MOST BONKERS THING I'VE EVER SEEN OR HEARD.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Any way to fix Autohotkey? The old script no longer positions the cursor dead center for me.

Action Camera is terrible for Mesmer - the targeting attached to the crosshair causes a lot of issues, especially in PvP. One of the Mesmer's strengths is casting when enemies are behind or off to the side and Action Camera limits that a lot. (seems to be no way to turn off the AC's targeting system)

Yep, I'm totally keeping the thief. I've been watching some videos and looks great.

Very nice. Hopefully my characters can look like that someday.

Daredevil is definitely one of the best Generation 1 elite specs. The theme is excellent. Staff is a great weapon choice and very fun and fluid to play with and the physical skills are super cool, especially the Fists of Fury attack. The damage tuning is quite good. It perfectly embodies taking a traditional thief to the next level as a straight upgrade, giving room for more unusual take on thieves like the Deadeye.

Ashodin

I just did Episode 6. Very nice stuff. I like Sirens Landing a lot. Very, very nice map. Best Orr map ever!

I've never played Ele, but I think this expansion is all about Weaver. They CAN WEAVE ATUNEMENTS.

WEAVE.

ATUNEMENTS.

THIS IS SOME OF THE MOST BONKERS THING I'VE EVER SEEN OR HEARD.

BRO ARE YOU KIDDING

FIREBRAND

I GET MY TOMES BACK

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Any way to fix Autohotkey? The old script no longer positions the cursor dead center for me.

Action Camera is terrible for Mesmer - the targeting attached to the crosshair causes a lot of issues, especially in PvP. One of the Mesmer's strengths is casting when enemies are behind or off to the side and Action Camera limits that a lot. (seems to be no way to turn off the AC's targeting system)
Sorry, I don't really know... Action Camera itself does what autohotkey was doing before by positioning the crosshair. I don't use autohotkey at all anymore (just Xpadder) nor do I ever switch off action camera during combat.

I mean you obviously don't have to use action camera at all, if it isn't beneficial for you. In theory just fudging mouselook by using a script to permanently hold doing the RMB still works. But if you can't get autohokey to do what you want with the mouse then I'm not sure. If it's just that it positions the cursor somewhere other than you want, but is still able to reset the cursor in the first place, I'm sure it can be modified.

edit: In rereading my old posts about this, I realize I was never able to get AutoHotKey working properly with Windows 8, let alone 10, and Action Cam was what basically saved me in order to still be able to play GW2 with a pad at all after upgrading. So I have no idea about the best solution to the way you use cursor aiming. :(

In the new iteration here Cursor Mode is also back to being a "hold"- I'm not sure if this makes it more or less annoying to use for you. In playing around with it I know what you mean about the cursor not resetting if you're going to aim like that frequently. You can manually "drop off" the cursor back in the position you want it after you cast the skill, which is not an ideal solution at all but might help you.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Alrighty, so I updated the stuff to play with a a 360 pad here. In theory all these bindings should work with any pad that has the same button/stick availability as the X360 pad does, and there's a link in there to a simple controller emu app that makes your PC pretend you're using a 360 pad.

If you've never used this all the instructions and controls are in there. If you have, all that has potentially changed since the last iteration is this:

-Need to Bind F12 to "Disable Action Cam." When you start your game, you'll have to hit F9 once on the keyboard to get into Action Cam mode.
-Hold the Back button down to enter Cursor Mode, rather than hitting it to toggle. This should finally solve the pet peeve of mine that popped back up after Action Cam was released: occasionally getting stuck in the wrong button set (if you've ever had a menu open up when you thought you would use a skill, that's what I mean). If a menu is open, you'll still get a cursor and can "click" with X even if you aren't in Cursor Mode. Remember you can always close open windows with Start (ESC)
-RB + D-pad Right: Special action key (story-specific skill/mechanics)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So sorry for the triple post, just want to mention Guild Missions in 20 minutes, we have had a lot more people on than usual since the annoucement which is awesome and this week we have the Branded for Termination challenge which we could feasibly get done with 8 people and Save Our Supplies which needs 12-ish.

Enjoyed the missions I did. Idk how long you kept going, but I had to dip so i could finish the goal for the day (ascended trinkets for the PoF toon) before hitting the sack.

Dizzy-4U

Alright, I'm ready for my crafting:

I have 2 item boosters that increases the critical chance by 50%. Any other booster that I should have to maximize leveling? Like food, potions or something?

Edit: Oh wait, that booster increases the chance of leveling the crafting profession faster, right? I should use the XP boost if I want to level up my character instead?

Massicot

Er, whoops, I'm misremembering. I think the critical chance is all you set? I haven't leveled crafting much since they changed all the boosters.

Dizzy-4U

Er, whoops, I'm misremembering. I think the critical chance is all you set? I haven't leveled crafting much since they changed all the boosters.
I've been reading a little and apparently the critical chance booster only benefits the crafting profession (which is kinda useless since I already bought all the items for 0-400) and the XP booster benefits the character level.

Screw it, won't lose much sleep over a couple of additional levels.

Edit: Aaaand done! Up to lvl 404 anyways. That wasn't so bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom