• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 - Heart of Thorns |OT| Welcome to the Jungle...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading the qtfy benchmarks and realizing that I've actually gotten pretty good at powerPS warrior. Doing pretty decent damage and giving out consistent might. Bummer the class is so awful lol.

Hoping the delta between berserker and spellbreaker isn't too big so I'm not totally required to go condi in the future.

CrimsonN0

Can't say I am too happy about those Flame and Festival Boxes because i had a few of those skin in my storage like Scarlet's Kiss and now I just lost a couple thousand gold of value...
Same.
I had around 4 Desert Rose skins which were going for around 500g each, but are now just 80g and falling. Kinda a pain since I was planning on selling them soon because I'm in the middle of crafting Ad Infinitum and bought Howl with plans to make it into Howler.
At this rate, I'll probably just sell Howl back.
Also, probably should have just gone for The Ascension for a Legendary Backpack since I'm pretty sure I just need stacks of t6 mats at this point instead of stacks of t6 mats and like 3 Ascended Armor that I need to salvage to make Ad Infinitum (apparently a guide says I should only need 1 Ascended to salvage, but it looks like something went wrong somewhere).

Freeman76

Same.
I had around 4 Desert Rose skins which were going for around 500g each, but are now just 80g and falling. Kinda a pain since I was planning on selling them soon because I'm in the middle of crafting Ad Infinitum and bought Howl with plans to make it into Howler.
At this rate, I'll probably just sell Howl back.
Also, probably should have just gone for The Ascension for a Legendary Backpack since I'm pretty sure I just need stacks of t6 mats at this point instead of stacks of t6 mats and like 3 Ascended Armor that I need to salvage to make Ad Infinitum (apparently a guide says I should only need 1 Ascended to salvage, but it looks like something went wrong somewhere).

this is why its a gamble and you can never guarantee anet wont put something out to piss on your camp fire when saving up skins to profit. You could have let them all go af 500 and been quids in...hold on too long and anet may just pulverise your plans in the backside lol. Live and learn eh lol

Massicot

Reading the qtfy benchmarks and realizing that I've actually gotten pretty good at powerPS warrior. Doing pretty decent damage and giving out consistent might. Bummer the class is so awful lol.

Hoping the delta between berserker and spellbreaker isn't too big so I'm not totally required to go condi in the future.

Remember when Condi PS was just kinda this experimental thing that was interesting but no one would actually take over Power? Pepperidge farm remembers.

CrimsonN0

this is why its a gamble and you can never guarantee anet wont put something out to piss on your camp fire when saving up skins to profit. You could have let them all go af 500 and been quids in...hold on too long and anet may just pulverise your plans in the backside lol. Live and learn eh lol

Yeah, though, I guess I didn't really lose gold.
I got 2 of them as drops way back and the other 2 I bought when they were still 20g.
Mostly just means it'll take me longer to craft some stuff while I try to grind for gold to get mats.
Though, its also disappointing that I only got 1 Black Lion Sprocket out of the free box.
That's only good for like 100 Blade Shards.

Spyware

People also should know by now that very few things in GW2 are gone forever. Might be a pain to get them, they might be gotten by gambling, you might have to wait quite a while, but items will come back one day.

Vena

People also should know by now that very few things in GW2 are gone forever. Might be a pain to get them, they might be gotten by gambling, you might have to wait quite a while, but items will come back one day.

Grinning Ghastly Shield.

Where my special box for Chak Egg Sac? been hunting that sucker for over 15months..

Spyware

Grinning Ghastly Shield.
I dunno if you wanted to point out an item that was a good example of what I was saying or the opposite :p
It is a good example tho!
Could be gotten in a raffle during Halloween 2014, could then be gotten at some point in a BLC (or wait, is it the other way around? Gotten from BLC first in 2012, then the raffle? Whatevs!), can now be gotten whenever by the Wardrobe Unlock in BLC. I actually got the Scythe Staff Skin from one of those recently, it's from the same set.

Stuart444

God fucking damnit, I keep getting disconnected in the middle of the Minster of Minsters mission. It has a long ass intro, long ass segments and is pretty long and this is the second time I've been disconnected.

And I have to restart the instance of course.

gdi, I forgot how much I hate being DC'd during a long instance. :/

edit: 3rd time lucky, yay.

edit: not sure if anyone here used it but BGDM's creator got banned

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/6txv55/farewell_gw2_people/

(I don't know much about why or anything, I just know it was one of the two dps meters people use for GW2)

Spyware

(I don't know much about why or anything, I just know it was one of the two dps meters people use for GW2)
That was an... interesting read. Thanks.

TLDR: Crybaby got warned because he made what was at first a fine tool into an illegal tool. He ignored the repeated warnings and kept working on it "but just for the Chinese version buhuuu"... as if that would matter.
Pff, haha!
I couldn't be more glad to see the back of them, good riddance I say.

Vena

Well. The abbadon helmet was a waste of 140g. Its got that dumn sheen on it and doesn't match with heavy armor very well.

Oh well.

Massicot

So I'm not sure if my memory is playing tricks on me, but the ascended amulets that you got for completing the Vigil/Priory collections (or whatever it was). If I remember correctly, before you could never salvage them. Now you can, and amulets supposedly have the chance for giving that $$$$ collection item.

Talking about stuff like this:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Whisper's_Secret

I wasn't lucky enough to get the Salvaged Excellence drop :(

I'm not sure when they made these salvageable, but I freed up some bank space at least. Yay.

Edit: I guess this change was made a month or two ago but I didn't know T_T

Massicot

It's possible that they are locked out from being able to drop the item. But regular amulets have a minuscule drop rate anyways, so might as well try.

Ashodin

Oh well, I didn't want the neck anyway but I'm working toward the Vigil Warmaster pack. I love the white spikes.

It's rough though, I just got the golden wing backpiece, which has a beautiful four winged glider.

Since I saw this question being asked on the FFXIV reddit, why do you log in every week?

People are lamenting only having dungeon grind and 4 latest raid floors to do in FFXIV for current/latest content (if you don't care about crafting) so I'm wondering what reasons people who play GW2 will give.

I have a few guesses but I want to see some answers.

Ashodin

I've been playing more heavily and there's a FUCKTON of achievements and things to earn in the game that makes every log in something new and fresh to go after.

Like a Cat Scavenger Hunt, or a certain piece of gear to try to get, there's always something.

Dizzy-4U

Messing around with the options, I accidentally discovered the "Lock ground target at maximum skill range" option. This is soooooooo much better, I don't have to calculate teleport range when in a hurry anymore.

Since I saw this question being asked on the FFXIV reddit, why do you log in every week?

People are lamenting only having dungeon grind and 4 latest raid floors to do in FFXIV for current/latest content (if you don't care about crafting) so I'm wondering what reasons people who play GW2 will give.

To me, doing the same raids and dungeons over and over again is not fun and it goes against everything I want to get out of a MMO. I hate taunt mechanics and "roles" where you're doing one thing and that's it.

I can go to this fucking thing http://gw2timer.com/ , and I have 100s of things to choose from in variety that will yield rewards for participation towards something that is useful for me, regardless of what I am trying to accomplish. The entire game is the end game. I can do all or these things, or PvP, or WvW, or craft, or personal story, or go achievement hunting. I can do guild missions, or fractals- Whatever I want to do, I can work towards the same goals.

And I like that you make your own goals and choose what you want to do. And I like you can just ignore the meta or the appropriate method forward. Is getting ascended/legendary weapons not interesting to you? You're more than welcome to ignore it and focus on something else.
I've gotten more out of getting 100% world completition with my main character, doing all the jumping puzzles, exploring all the secret areas, doing all the world bosses and so on, than I've had in any end-game activity in any other game.

My experience is that WoW and FFXIV and many other themepark games are full of toxic people (also in GW2 in sPvP lobby) but people generally have been nice in the main game, and that makes it a lot more fun to play. I'm more social in GW2 with other randoms I'm not grouped with.

I like that GW2 has horizontal growth. the mastery system doesn't make you stronger, stat wise, it just expands your characters movement and control. I like how the elite specialization just make you wider. Every specialization they add, brings us closer to GW1 style meta where you choose a card deck. Now it's going to be really strategic and interesting to choose between one elite specialization + core specs. And with all the rune and sigil sets, I find that I can make some really interesting and diverse builds.

Lastly, I just like how I can just play this game, put it on the backburner, and then come back later and I am not outlevelled or outgeared. Because Guild Wars has never been about that. I'm not motivated at all by doing shit just for better stats. Fuck that.

Massicot

I mostly just collect stuff. I was going to say something endearing like I learn to play new classes at a (semi) high level but mostly Im just filling collections and achievements. Luckily these kinda take you all over the map and game space as it is. Competing Aurora required me to revisit some jumping puzzles, I got to mob some classic maps with some large squads to get the anomaly tonic, and I'm slowly working towards the wvw back piece. Before I started that, I had no idea what the desert borderland layout was like at all.

But I do also raid every week and do fractals mostly every day.

I also play some weird functional game of Barbie. Like I put together a condi daredevil once I saw how effective they can be. I haven't raided with him yet (mostly because I'm stuck on other classes in raid) but i put one together and dolled it up in ascended gear. I have a lot of characters like that.

Massicot

If it's wasn't for gw2 I wouldn't have changed CPUs as often as I have. I wish coffee / cannon lake wasnt going to require new mobos..

I will probably still upgrade.

Remember when Condi PS was just kinda this experimental thing that was interesting but no one would actually take over Power? Pepperidge farm remembers.
Feels bad. I'm mostly doing fractals these days anyway but it's silly that my condi set is lacking major pieces but does tons more dps.

This guy whined and moaned on reddit about being some sort of victim before for the same shit lol. Guy's petulant, glad he's gone.

Stuart444

Well right now I'm just going through story stuff I missed from LWS3 but outside of that. I just log in to do stuff I find fun? Map Completion, World Events,Achievements, etc. just whatever. (I did do some fractals but not many, only at Fractal level 7 - gonna try it again sometime though)

I even do Alts and I'm happy to do them :D.

And because of no sub, I can take breaks, I can play both FFXIV (a sub MMO) and GW2 without feeling pressured because only one of them has a sub.

So yeah, to answer why I log in once all story stuff is done, it's to have fun by doing events, Mapping, Achievements and playing Alts.

The minute I stop having fun (cause of burn out or whatever), I take a break as well :)

Well right now I'm just going through story stuff I missed from LWS3 but outside of that. I just log in to do stuff I find fun? Map Completion, World Events,Achievements, etc. just whatever. (I did do some fractals but not many, only at Fractal level 7 - gonna try it again sometime though)
I was fractal level 6 last week and found pubbing really intimidating before. Getting groups for dailies and looking for people at a similar scale isnt as bad as i'd thought. Just open the wiki page for the fractals and read the boss mechanics while clearing the way to it.

Just my 2c since I just did ths.

Stuart444

I was fractal level 6 last week and found pubbing really intimidating before. Getting groups for dailies and looking for people at a similar scale isnt as bad as i'd thought. Just open the wiki page for the fractals and read the boss mechanics while clearing the way to it.

Just my 2c since I just did ths.

Yeah I know, but I remember when I tried before.

Falling during jumping sections, getting lost (there was one where we had to do something at the start very quickly or something and people just knew - both me and my fiance ended up letting the other 3 do it >_> ) or dying because I'm bad (I mean I consider myself an average player but I did die a lot before)

We had 3 patient people before which made it go okay but I know that LFG is basically pot luck.

Heck non-fractal related, I put up an LFG for a story mission in LWS3. I had 3 people join us (taking it off the LFG tool). One left after 2 seconds, 1 had a string of numbers as his name and was on his level 79 necro and one seemed okay. But they all said absolutely nothing, not even a hi. Then the other high level guy left (after 5 minutes) so we were left with the necro who had said nothing. At that point, I just /sigh'd and kicked him and then got a random from LFG (who was nice) and some from one of the guilds I'm in to help.

Totally unrelated tangent ^ but shows what I mean about LFG being pot luck. Can't even say "No KB" like you can in FFXIV (due to PS4) to excuse not even saying hi to the group you joined >_>

Still we'll try fractals again, just because it's something to do. And they were pretty fun tbf though I doubt I'd go hard core at it like some people do.

Side note: I am happy that fractal progress is account bound since both me and my fiance are Eles/Tempests so I know I can at least go on my Ranger (soon to be druid - I like healing) or any other of my Alts without having to start from fractal 1 with no currency.

Massicot

Side note: I am happy that fractal progress is account bound since both me and my fiance are Eles/Tempests so I know I can at least go on my Ranger (soon to be druid - I like healing) or any other of my Alts without having to start from fractal 1 with no currency.

Just a note, a healing focused Tempest (usually referred to as "Auramancer") is a fairly viable thing. If you wanted to you could get a second set of gear to swap your tempest to and you can heal that way if you'd like. If you already did/do this then nevermind! I'm just bringing it up.

Stuart444

Just a note, a healing focused Tempest (usually referred to as "Auramancer") is a fairly viable thing. If you wanted to you could get a second set of gear to swap your tempest to and you can heal that way if you'd like. If you already did/do this then nevermind! I'm just bringing it up.

I've considered it but getting two sets of gear is kinda eh.

That said, I certainly won't rule it out. Even with my Zerker gear, I try to put out aoe heals when I can. I just like healing in GW2 XD.

I just mentioned Druid cause I doubt I'll be interested in Soulbeast in PoF anyway.

edit: looking it up, seems like a few Auramancer builds use staff? (which I already use) so it is tempting. Might wait to see how PoF changes things up though just incase.

I was going to get a third set of Ascended Gear for my Mesmer as I was going by Dulfy’s 2013 guide on the mat prices. Then halfway through buying the ingredients I realized that they changed it all to take a poop load more Elonian Leather than is used to take, and I just sold all the ingredients back.

Quenk

After a certain point, I stopped crafting ascended gear. Now I just rely on drops from fractals, raids, and PvP. Luckily I was able to buy some PvP pieces when they were cheap.

Massicot

I got an ascended armor box from a silly Guild Mission last week. Eventually it seems like the game just can't help but throw ascended boxes at you.

Thank goodness for that stat-change update for ascended gear. Best patch 2015.

Stuart444

You know, that fort mission/achievement/etc in Lake Doric is insane. There is waaay too many white mantle and jades around. On top of that, you make sure you're safe but the animation can cause you to get caught. Also no waypoint nearby so you have to run back if you die. :/

Just a small rant about how annoying this is...

edit: yay did it. Though point stands, it'd be nice to have WPs nearer places like that. Like at Saidra's Haven since that is 'mostly' safe lol.

Indignate

You know, that fort mission/achievement/etc in Lake Doric is insane. There is waaay too many white mantle and jades around. On top of that, you make sure you're safe but the animation can cause you to get caught. Also no waypoint nearby so you have to run back if you die. :/

Just a small rant about how annoying this is...

edit: yay did it. Though point stands, it'd be nice to have WPs nearer places like that. Like at Saidra's Haven since that is 'mostly' safe lol.

When you say animation I'm assuming you're talking about poisoning the food supplies or whatever?

For anybody that needs to do this heart in the future, never bother with the poison. You can fill up the heart on collecting prisoners and battle plans alone. As pointed out, the animation sucks and gets you caught more often than not and for me it hardly seemed to even work half the time.

That's Lake Doric though. All the hearts are shit and take way too long. Except for that one in the middle on the east side. I don't know why beating up a single villager fills up a heart more than killing a dozen white mantle members.

Massicot

Lake Doric is my least favorite LS3 map. The Hearts are tedious, the event chains are just kinda nebulous and boring (though I might just feel this way due to not having spent as much time there). When I had to redo the hearts for Aurora I got reminded of how lame it was to "infiltrate" the Mantle place, water flowers, put out fires, feed soldiers...bleh. I only gather 10 magic there for the daily and that's it.

I love how in Siren's landing you can do all the hearts very quickly if you do them "properly". My only nitpick here is that for 3 of them, they all involve using that Ley Scavenger 3 skill on different things: (Melandru: Risen Corpses, Grenth: Wraiths, Lyssa: Fountains).

Ashodin

Speaking of fractals, I'd like to start a Fractal Night on Sundays with the guild. So any of you who are interested, it'd likely start around 9 PM as well, so speak up!

We'll start from Fractal Level 1, so if you don't have any resistance, we can build that up with agony drops and ring drops. This will be your best time to jump in and get into 5 man content with the guild!

From there, we can work towards putting a raid group together.

Stuart444

When you say animation I'm assuming you're talking about poisoning the food supplies or whatever?

For anybody that needs to do this heart in the future, never bother with the poison. You can fill up the heart on collecting prisoners and battle plans alone. As pointed out, the animation sucks and gets you caught more often than not and for me it hardly seemed to even work half the time.

That's Lake Doric though. All the hearts are shit and take way too long. Except for that one in the middle on the east side. I don't know why beating up a single villager fills up a heart more than killing a dozen white mantle members.

Yeah, I meant that.

I like the map though, it's a nice change scenery wise from the previous maps. I agree about the hearts taking too long and stuff though.

Separate question: Items for the Item Collection Achievements, can you delete the item after getting it without affecting the achievements? Just cause, I got several items in my inventory from several collections that I don't plan on doing for a bit and wondering if I can delete them without having to find them again.

SourBear

Banned
Speaking of fractals, I'd like to start a Fractal Night on Sundays with the guild. So any of you who are interested, it'd likely start around 9 PM as well, so speak up!

We'll start from Fractal Level 1, so if you don't have any resistance, we can build that up with agony drops and ring drops. This will be your best time to jump in and get into 5 man content with the guild!

From there, we can work towards putting a raid group together.

YES. I want to join this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom