• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 - Heart of Thorns |OT| Welcome to the Jungle...

Status
Not open for further replies.
so i did the caladbolg quest, picked the sword but haven't picked the stats yet.

i'll continue to get HPs on all my characters...and next i'll probably tackle LWS3.

i already have weaponcrafting and armorsmithing at 400 so i was thinking about leveling them to 500, but looking at gwcrafts things are so expensive, and they recommend buying insignias (that you can't craft?) off the TP.

this is my wallet to show what i'm working with, i stopped playing a while ago

so i'll probably hold off on crafting for now, there's no urgent need for it...as far as i know?

Spend some of those laurels on mats to sell, there’s not much to do with them after hoarding 200 or so. You’ll have a big gold boost from that.

Goldrush

Silly me for thinking the Heat mechanic for Holoforge was suppose to combat the piano gameplay of Engi. Now, in addition to learning a new rotation, Engi will need to keep a good rhythm going to keep that heat up.

Wanderer5

Renegade is okay. Shortbow is kind of nice, along with some of the traits and Citadel Orders, but I am not really sure about the Utility skills for the new stance.

Spellbreaker was neat enough that I'll probably bring my war back into WvW with for a support ish build.

SourBear

Banned
The Renegade marks or whatever that spawn the warband members don't work correctly on uneven terrain. In fact its pretty broken.

jmartoine

Started Living World season 3, in the hour and a half I spent on it I had more fun in Bloodstone Fen that at the start of Heart of Thorns when the Mastery system felt like a great roadblock.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
The guild wars 2 subreddit is crazy if they extend the Heat mechanic of Holo to every Engi skill the what would be the point of using anything other than Holo for engi.

I like that holo fills a niche that engi didnt have and that it doesnt rely on kits.

One thing I agree is the CD for tomes with Firebrand, if you select one error and the switch to another then the one selected on error goes on a ~30 seconds CD. Not fair.

Stuart444

So I decided to count up how many of certain materials I have and...

1091 Bloodstone dust
1027 Dragonite Ore
786 Empyreal Fragments
663 Mithril Ore
533 Piles of Auric Dust

In that order from most to least of the ones past 500.

I had no idea I built it up so much. and nothing to really use them on either :(

We have converters that eat Bloodstone Dust, Dragonite Ore, and Empyreal Fragments, they will give you items back, basically RNG game with what you get..

Also Gleam of Sentience new converter....

Stuart444

We have converters that eat Bloodstone Dust, Dragonite Ore, and Empyreal Fragments, they will give you items back, basically RNG game with what you get..

Also Gleam of Sentience new converter....

Huh, I'll look into them, thanks.

They are easy enough to get anyway, so not a big deal if I end up needing them later on I guess.

Spyware

1091 Bloodstone dust
1027 Dragonite Ore
786 Empyreal Fragments
663 Mithril Ore
533 Piles of Auric Dust

I had no idea I built it up so much. and nothing to really use them on either :(
You don't have Herta/Mawdrey, Princess and Star of Gratitude? I feed them whenever I reach over 400 of Bloodstone/Dragonite/Empyreal. I was so happy when I finally got Mawdrey. I had about 5k Dust to get rid of by then. :D

Dunno what to do with Mithril tho. I have 2467 of the stuff. Pretty much the same with Ectos (2315) and Watchwork Sprockets (2690). Don't want to sell "because I might need them later" (yeah right)

Edit: That's what I get for leaving the computer and not updating before I respond. Ohwell. I really recommend the converters! Princess is pretty fun to get :)

Huh, I'll look into them, thanks.

They are easy enough to get anyway, so not a big deal if I end up needing them later on I guess.

Gleam of Sentience should be your goal since this converter doesn't require a trip to your bank, it can be used any where....

the menu when you open Gleam
gw305qes69.jpg

Also with the older converter the number of uses were random, Gleam tells you you can use it 6 times each different conversion...

Morokh

1091 Bloodstone dust
1027 Dragonite Ore
786 Empyreal Fragments
663 Mithril Ore
533 Piles of Auric Dust

Bloodstone/Dragonite/Fragments are used in Raid/Fractal food and it's quite easy to make money with the Bloodstone/Fragments ones.
The recipes might be a little tricky to get if you're a new player cause i think they can only be acquired at Pact Supply Agents these days. (Look-up for the Toxic Sharpening Stones /crystals etc ..)

With Bloodstone dust you can also make Ley-Line infused tools that are used in Guild upgrading and still sell for a decent price.

Mithril, save it if you'll ever think you'll be making a legendary at one point, and transform it in Lumps of Mithrilium daily, (same advice goes for elder wood) you'll be glad to have a supply of them when you get into ascended/precursor crafting.

Piles of Auric Dust only have purpose if you want to craft the Auric weapons, or a gen 2 Legendary iirc.

Other than that yes, as others have said get yourself some 'Eaters'

Error

Man I like condi builds just seeing all those number appearing on an enemy is oddly satisfying.

Stuart444

You don't have Herta/Mawdrey, Princess and Star of Gratitude? I feed them whenever I reach over 400 of Bloodstone/Dragonite/Empyreal. I was so happy when I finally got Mawdrey. I had about 5k Dust to get rid of by then. :D

Dunno what to do with Mithril tho. I have 2467 of the stuff. Pretty much the same with Ectos (2315) and Watchwork Sprockets (2690). Don't want to sell "because I might need them later" (yeah right)

Edit: That's what I get for leaving the computer and not updating before I respond. Ohwell. I really recommend the converters! Princess is pretty fun to get :)

Don't think I have them no. (and yeah, don't want to sell incase is why I haven't sold my ectos which is currently at 67ish or so)

Gleam of Sentience should be your goal since this converter doesn't require a trip to your bank, it can be used any where....

the menu when you open Gleam
gw305qes69.jpg

Also with the older converter the number of uses were random, Gleam tells you you can use it 6 times each different conversion...

Man, all the collection achievements. (just looked it up)

I'll work on it when I'm not working on my alts I guess. I mean the maps aren't too big so they seem like they should be reasonable enough.

Bloodstone/Dragonite/Fragments are used in Raid/Fractal food and it's quite easy to make money with the Bloodstone/Fragments ones.
The recipes might be a little tricky to get if you're a new player cause i think they can only be acquired at Pact Supply Agents these days. (Look-up for the Toxic Sharpening Stones /crystals etc ..)

With Bloodstone dust you can also make Ley-Line infused tools that are used in Guild upgrading and still sell for a decent price.

Mithril, save it if you'll ever think you'll be making a legendary at one point, and transform it in Lumps of Mithrilium daily, (same advice goes for elder wood) you'll be glad to have a supply of them when you get into ascended/precursor crafting.

Piles of Auric Dust only have purpose if you want to craft the Auric weapons, or a gen 2 Legendary iirc.

Other than that yes, as others have said get yourself some 'Eaters'

Thanks for the info. I'm not a new player and have access to the supply guys :) (been playing since day 1 but have had multiple extended breaks so I'm probably behind people who started only a year or two ago)

As a side note: I really want to get the Druid specialization collection weapon. (And the tempest but I don't use Warhorn much. so I'm not as bothered about that as I am with the Druid weapon we can get from it)

Don't think I have them no. (and yeah, don't want to sell incase is why I haven't sold my ectos which is currently at 67ish or so)

Man, all the collection achievements. (just looked it up)

I'll work on it when I'm not working on my alts I guess. I mean the maps aren't too big so they seem like they should be reasonable enough.

The Hardest one is Ember Bay since you need to get into the JP, you can knock these out in a day or 2 with a guide, it's basically the scavenger hunt, you collect 4 different Eaters from 4 different maps and put them in the forge and it becomes the Gleam of Sentience...

Holosmith is too good, the photon forge is some really good shit. The kind of ebb and flow gameplay with the heat level is awesome as fuck
Holosmith combines both the advantages of initiative burst that thieves enjoy and the skill duration from legend energy build-up that revenants use. There's no downtime.

Are all the Holo primary skills from recycled animations?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I'm doing the tiger sb legendary and at part 2 already!

how does Chuka/Chapawat compare to Astralaria/Nevermore/HOPE in terms of tasks

The Hardest one is Ember Bay since you need to get into the JP, you can knock these out in a day or 2 with a guide, it's basically the scavenger hunt, you collect 4 different Eaters from 4 different maps and put them in the forge and it becomes the Gleam of Sentience...

yeah it's the only one I haven't obtained (though I got the two ones in the JP thanks to the mesmer portal help)

they're far too long and frequent even though I love Ember Bay

PatzCU

I tried out Scourge today just messing around in the PVP lobby. I actually think it's pretty fucking cool. It seems very complicated on first pass but I think once I get some repetitions with the usual rotations, it should be fairly easy to use. No clue where it will fall in terms of 'competitive' dps or support but I do like that it seems to provide support whilst damage dealing when using the sand shrouds. Also, the spell effects are amazing.

Loving that Necro now has a brawler elite (reaper) and a caster elite (scourge).

Stuart444

Just curious since I've begun work on my Druid. while I have no interest in Raids or 'high level' fractals really (I want to work my way up to 40ish at some point since I see plenty of people talking about 40 fractals being good farming or something), but want a good mix of support/healing and DPS, is full Berserker really a good idea? I saw a few builds like that which makes dmg good but the heals weaker.

Is it still best to do it like that or should I mix it up by making one or two pieces cleric instead of Berserker or what?

Just curious since I've begun work on my Druid. while I have no interest in Raids or 'high level' fractals really (I want to work my way up to 40ish at some point since I see plenty of people talking about 40 fractals being good farming or something), but want a good mix of support/healing and DPS, is full Berserker really a good idea? I saw a few builds like that which makes dmg good but the heals weaker.

Is it still best to do it like that or should I mix it up by making one or two pieces cleric instead of Berserker or what?

If you want a healing set on a druid, Magi's is the way to go. It's also super cheap on the TP.

I'm doing the tiger sb legendary and at part 2 already!

how does Chuka/Chapawat compare to Astralaria/Nevermore/HOPE in terms of tasks

yeah it's the only one I haven't obtained (though I got the two ones in the JP thanks to the mesmer portal help)

they're far too long and frequent even though I love Ember Bay

I gave a Mesmer Tips he was doing the entire JP with the tokens, i already completed the JP, but was missing 2 Tokens, mes got 3 gold for saving me from that headache lol..

Goldrush

Am I missing something with the renegade? The other elites seem to have new mechanics, but Renegade just seem like a skill drops.

Man I like condi builds just seeing all those number appearing on an enemy is oddly satisfying.

I went full condi prior to condi meta just for that sole reason.

Ashodin

I've added two more channels to the discord:

Number Crunch

Basically you can talk all about which spec does insane damage, qT benchmarks or w/e go here. Math nerds have fun!

memes

self explanatory

jmartoine

What are the best Heart of Thorns metas to level up masteries? So far I'm doing Dragon Stand and Auric Basin as they give 250-500k exp but are there any others that are better?

Azzurri

Hey guys,

So I have not played GW2 since release, but with PoF coming up I'd like to give it a shot. I do have HoT xpac, so I do have the 80 boost.

Anyways, I was looking at professions and Necro to be looks to be up my ally. The biggest question I have is it seems like the DPS rotations seem to be super confusing no matter the build. I play WoW and the rotations for the most part are pretty basic and not super difficult, but from reading and watching vids, rotations for GW2 seem super confusing. I don't know if it's the weapon switching that throws me off, or what.

Is it as difficult as I make it or is it much simpler when you start to play?

Thanks!

Hey guys,

So I have not played GW2 since release, but with PoF coming up I'd like to give it a shot. I do have HoT xpac, so I do have the 80 boost.

Anyways, I was looking at professions and Necro to be looks to be up my ally. The biggest question I have is it seems like the DPS rotations seem to be super confusing no matter the build. I play WoW and the rotations for the most part are pretty basic and not super difficult, but from reading and watching vids, rotations for GW2 seem super confusing. I don't know if it's the weapon switching that throws me off, or what.

Is it as difficult as I make it or is it much simpler when you start to play?

Thanks!
The notation used on metabattle, qtfy, etc. makes things seem way more convoluted than they are. Generally you'll have a skill priority (things you should use on cooldown) and then a filler. Just like WoW. Again like WoW, you'll take a bit to really udnerstand the rotation and get to the point where you don't have to actively think about it, but once you get to the point it's really just about how to use your active defenses without losing dps, which is pretty fun and offers some ability to play proactively.

If you're worried about it, the only class i'd really not recommend is condi engineer.

Spyware

Starting to explore the LW3 maps for the first time.
Loving Bloodstone Fen. I almost wanna name it my fav map. It looks amazing and is a joy to traverse.

Then I reached Ember Bay.
Let's just say that I find it very fitting that the name of one area means "trash" in swedish.

Error

The notation used on metabattle, qtfy, etc. makes things seem way more convoluted than they are. Generally you'll have a skill priority (things you should use on cooldown) and then a filler. Just like WoW. Again like WoW, you'll take a bit to really udnerstand the rotation and get to the point where you don't have to actively think about it, but once you get to the point it's really just about how to use your active defenses without losing dps, which is pretty fun and offers some ability to play proactively.

If you're worried about it, the only class i'd really not recommend is condi engineer.
What but condi engi is so cool!

Nothing like setting a Big Ol' Bomb and send the enemy flying off 5 feet away all while shooting it in the with Poison Darts and burning them with Blowtorch.

Also my engi is an asuran the little fuckers look with all that superb animation!

Don't worry about optimal rotations, unless you are raiding or doing High Level fractals I guess. Just pick a class and have fun, learn the ins and outs of the class settle on a playstyle you like with the class and then figure out an optimal rotation for it.

There's metabattle for meta builds for each class but dont worry about that, just go with what you like.

Dizzy-4U

So I've got this exotic berserker ring as a drop doing the winterberries farm. To my surprise, this thing sells for 20 gold in the trading post.

I don't get it, why buy an exotic ring like this when you can get ascended ones so easily?

Not complaining though, this is the best drop I've had so far.

Boss Doggie

So I've got this exotic berserker ring as a drop doing the winterberries farm. To my surprise, this thing sells for 20 gold in the trading post.

I don't get it, why buy an exotic ring like this when you can get ascended ones so easily?

Not complaining though, this is the best drop I've had so far.

leftovers prolly

Freeman76

I think Bloodstone Fen is still my favorite LS3 map. The sixth episode map is still pretty good though.

Lake Doric, Bitterfront and the Orr maps are my favourites. That vertical exploration doesnt work for me in the other maps, although Bloodstone Fen isnt as bad as Ember Bay, I couldnt wait to leave that map.

Boss Doggie

Giving up Dragonhunter means no more elite trap and spinning sword trap :(

but that fire damage tho

I guess if I go firebrand it's axe/torch scepter/torch

jmartoine

I really like how some of the LW3 story missions take place in the open world rather than being completely instanced. Started on Ember Bay last night, still prefer Bloodstone Fen so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom