• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 - Heart of Thorns |OT| Welcome to the Jungle...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmartoine

But I am not the one to ask if you want to be competitive or care about what works in groups. I play mostly solo and open world PvE. I couldn't care less of what the meta is or what gives the most DPS. I just play whatever I find fun.

That pretty much sums my play style up. I mainly do open world PVE such as world bosses and metas, don't PVP or raid and have sub-optimal gear/ abilities picked. I just play to have fun.

docbon

5MeRmYM.png

Estuans interius

Ira vehementi

Estuans interius

Ira vehementi

SourBear

Banned
Revenant really needs a shake up

My ideas:
  • Make some of the weapon skills generate energy, auto attacks for example
  • Remove energy reset on legend swap
  • Rework utilities with an eye towards reducing cool downs and giving us reasons to legend swap beyond the previous behavior of resetting energy
  • Remove weapon swap and instead make utilities for each legend ALSO be affected by the wielded weapon (think elementalists attunements)
  • Have weapon and utility skills do different things depending on energy level (think holosmith heat mechanic interactions for example)

SourBear

Banned
This was actually the original design of the class, but they added weapon swapping after community feedback.

As far as I recall from the betas utilities didn't change based on weapon & legend - which is what I'm purposing. They were fixed, just as they are now, to the legend only.

By having the utilities change based on both the weapon and legend you have more customization options than the original design had, and even more choice than the current iteration has because you would need to design a set of utility skills for each weapon + legend combo. Which is far more skills than the Revenant currently has - but still not nearly as many as Elementalist has. Still, I think this would offer the variety and choice players want from the class that is lacking - even after taking away the weapon swap to compensate.

Technically taking away the weapon swap isn't necessary - but it does bring the Revenant back to a core design choice that I think was changed only because of player feedback and the lack of time to properly fix it. I view the addition of weapon swap to Revenant so late in the betas as a band aid for a problem that couldn't be fixed properly in time for shipping. So, its probably too late now to go back to no weapon swapping. Even with my other changes.

Oh well. Revenant is still.. kinda fun I guess.

th3dude

What's the best thing to do with looted gear for each rarity?

I assume salvage all blue and green.

What about Rares? Salvage, sell on trading post, or mystic forge? I'm a complete forge newb and have no idea how to use it.

#1 use of the mystic forge is to make mystic salvage kit. If you have some mystic forge stones, I recommend doing so. Saves you a decent amount of gold over time. Very convenient too.

Basic salvage anything green or lower.

Mystic/master salvage kit for rares. Mystic forge the rare sigils and runes you get.

Exotics you'll want to sell on trade post unless they're below about 50-60 silver or you like the skin. Then you just master/mystic salvage unless it has a rune you want or is valuable. In that case, use a black lion salvage kit if you have one.

This presumes you don't want to keep the exotic drop for yourself.

th3dude

#1 use of the mystic forge is to make mystic salvage kit. If you have some mystic forge stones, I recommend doing so. Saves you a decent amount of gold over time. Very convenient too.

Basic salvage anything green or lower.

Mystic/master salvage kit for rares. Mystic forge the rare sigils and runes you get.

Exotics you'll want to sell on trade post unless they're below about 50-60 silver or you like the skin. Then you just master/mystic salvage unless it has a rune you want or is valuable. In that case, use a black lion salvage kit if you have one.

This presumes you don't want to keep the exotic drop for yourself.

Thank you very much! Makes a lot of sense!

What can I hope to get from forging the rare sigils?

Edit: Another noob question: I'm starting to get a big stock of Bloodstone Dust and Elder Wood Logs (too much for my 500 capacity collection), among other things. What should I be crafting? How do I know?

Mystic forging rare sigils can lead to getting exotics.

Bloodstone dust and elder wood are used in a number of recipes for ascended equipment and other neat stuff. Dust can also be fed to Mawdrey II, if you have done the collection chain for her.

The exact things you should craft depend on what classes you want to play and what weapons you want to use.

th3dude

Mystic forging rare sigils can lead to getting exotics.

Bloodstone dust and elder wood are used in a number of recipes for ascended equipment and other neat stuff. Dust can also be fed to Mawdrey II, if you have done the collection chain for her.

The exact things you should craft depend on what classes you want to play and what weapons you want to use.

Ok thanks again. I'll start looking into more specific crafting goals.

Azzurri

Can anyone give me Some info on Guardian builds. I know Metabattle and qtify have decent Raid and Fractal ones. But I'm looking for a general open world PvE build which none really shows.

I really want to use GreatSword in the builds because it looks the coolest and I like the skill sets, but the other weapons don't really matter

Massicot

Can anyone give me Some info on Guardian builds. I know Metabattle and qtify have decent Raid and Fractal ones. But I'm looking for a general open world PvE build which none really shows.

I really want to use GreatSword in the builds because it looks the coolest and I like the skill sets, but the other weapons don't really matter

You can make some very slight modifications to the the raid/fractal builds for open world and it works pretty well as is even if you don't.

Depending on preference, swap out Scepter for Sword or Torch for Focus. You might like the mobility of sword more in the open world and the blocks on focus.

I would take Right Hand Strength and Radiant Fire (if on torch) instead of the Retribution traits seeing how your retaliation uptime might not be stellar outside of a raid group. Of course if you want to hit those high bursty numbers on the greatsword or are running some extra retaliation (stand your ground or something), you still could just run the retaliation stuff too. If you decide to not base your build around retaliation/retribution you might want an accuracy sigil in your greatsword.

You could always run virtues if you like some of the extra condi cleanse, more sources of retal (if you swap out Zeal for it) or lower cooldowns or Unscathed Contender buffs. Personally I don't care for running Virtues but some people like to see how well they can keep Aegis up for the damage bonus.

Lastly I would still take Shelter, Bane Signet, and Procession of Blades, but the third utility you could treat like a wild card (I honestly just usually take Retreat) and I would take the quickness shout for your elite since you likely won't have a chrono giving you quickness.

And since very little in the open world survives very long against the burst that a guardian can do (outsde of champs), I often just lay down both weapon symbols back to back instead of spacing them out "properly".

Spyware

They don't show it because anything works in open world! :) Just check the traits and pick and choose what suits your style best.
Figure out if you want condi cleanse, boons, wanna set stuff on fire, general survivability, what utility category you want to buff, if virtues matter to you and so on. :)

Edit: Haha, here you have the two different ways of playing the game :D I would stop playing in an instant if I felt I had to care that much for open world PvE.

Massicot

I mean, the sentiment of your post is correct and I agree with it. But I also feel that I would be pretty miserable running around on something like Honor/Valor Staff/Hammer.

There are also some fun condi builds too. I forget what my condi build is exactly, but it's mostly just putting on all the Burning related traits (Radiance and Virtues iirc) and using the GS spin inside Purging Flames or Hallowed Ground. Balthazar runes would be cheap and work pretty well for it and you don't really need much if any Viper gear to get the burning duration up really high thanks to those runes and Smoldering sigils (which would be much easier to get than Viper gear).

Spyware

Oh, uhm...
My main for about 3 years:
Valor – 1. Strength of the Fallen – 2. Strength in Numbers – 1. Altruistic Healing
Honor – 3. Protector's Impact – 1. Honorable Staff – 1. Pure of Voice
Virtues – 1. Unscathed Contender – 3. Glacial Heart – 2. Battle Presence
Hammer/Staff – Shouts

;D

SourBear

Banned
Engineer aficionado's I want your help!

I just finished running an Engineer through a HoT HP train and would like to use him to get Hot map completion before PoF hits. I'm looking for a murder things fast build that doesn't require a lot of kit dancing. Does such a thing exist?

Thanks for the help.

Massicot

Engineer aficionado's I want your help!

I just finished running an Engineer through a HoT HP train and would like to use him to get Hot map completion before PoF hits. I'm looking for a murder things fast build that doesn't require a lot of kit dancing. Does such a thing exist?

Thanks for the help.

I am not an engineer main at all, but I saw this video being shared around a couple months back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDnTD0JxlKM

And if you meant power I've heard about this one earlier in the year too but I believe power engi was hit harder in the recent changes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fe5pvGDgoSg

Note according to the comments in that last video, there might be some small errors.

You know, I've been playing engie for years and I don't think i've ever actually kit danced. Is there some breakdown on how exactly that works/optimal attack order?

Ashodin

Oh, uhm...
My main for about 3 years:

;D

That's a cute build. I imagine you enjoy seeing the frost splash every time Glacial Heart triggers. I'd get a freeze signet in there too for double freeze!

I played around with the idea of a freezing guardian, was good times

Sonicbug

I wonder how long it took anyone to notice and recognize that Gnashblade post. I didn't check the site update yesterday...

Also, his backstory is kinda f'd up.

Taffer

Do people even check his news post? I always do since they have some nice in-character dialog.

Not normally but I do like his catty blog posts. If he'd won the election and become an Important Story Person he wouldn't be able to snipe from the sidelines like this.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
stolen from reddit

Somebody once told me the world would chew me up and spit me out.
Somebody once told me the world is gonna roll me
She never recognized my intelligence—but her condescension and arrogance made a fool of her.
I ain't the sharpest tool in the shed She was looking kind of dumb with her finger and her thumb In the shape of an "L" on her forehead
I hit the ground running after that, and as the years go by I'm more convinced than ever that I was right to go my own way.
Well the years start coming and they don't stop coming Fed to the rules and I hit the ground running
Listen—it doesn't make sense not to live for yourself.
Didn't make sense not to live for fun
Maybe you've honed your common sense, but it can dull your edge if you're not careful.
Your brain gets smart but your head gets dumb
You've got a lot to do, so who cares if you're navigating the back roads for now?
So much to do, so much to see So what's wrong with taking the back streets?
You'll never reach the top if you don't start somewhere.
You'll never know if you don't go You'll never shine if you don't glow
Go do your thing, and make sure they pay you for it.
Hey now, you're an all-star, get your game on, go play Hey now, you're a rock star, get the show on, get paid
You've got to be like a shooting star—shake up the status quo.
And all that glitters is gold Only shooting stars break the mold

th3dude

I feel like such a noob.

I've done the octo vines a few times at AB and had fun.

Last night I finished it and in general chat I see someone say "good luck with your chests".

Chests? What chests?

Yea, I didn't know that the city basement opened up and provided all those chests, including the massive ones.

20 minutes looting those chests was so much fun. Definitely going to keep looking for that event.

I wonder what other things I'm missing?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I feel like such a noob.

Last night I finished it and in general chat I see someone say "good luck with your chests".

Chests? What chests?

Yea, I didn't know that the city basement opened up and provided all those chests, including the massive ones.

20 minutes looting those chests was so much fun. Definitely going to keep looking for that event.

that's pretty much what they meant by good luck on the chests

Massicot

Are dual daggers for an ele still pretty decent for solo pve play? I find i'm just getting destroyed using a staff

I've always liked D/D the few times I've played elementalist. It feels less about placing aoes and more about movement and combos, even if it doesn't really have much of a place at "endgame" at the moment. Evading an attack with a well timed fire slide always felt like WOOOOOOO

I feel like such a noob.

Chests? What chests?

You playing now after AB multi-map was nerfed :(

See how you looted that one room? imagine looting it 6 times..

AB multi-map allowed players too loot another instance of the map as long as other players were in that map, form a squad and put players in different instances hoping all maps would complete.

One of my Guilds is named AB, we changed to something after AB nerf, i don't even remember lol, basically the guild paid an anchor 5-7 gold to stay in the map never change maps, we only looted the grandchest , so we had 9 maps, 7 completed, at the first chest loot maps 1-7 then move to the second grand chest, on your first character you not going to get all the maps because sometimes maps are full, but the second, third or even fourth character will get to all 9 maps, a crappy run is 60rares, a great run is over 110 rares, I made 7 Legendary weapons with ease thanks to this farm, RIP AB farm..

Are dual daggers for an ele still pretty decent for solo pve play? I find i'm just getting destroyed using a staff
I adore ele staff in solo pve. It's so versatile. The swiftness skill of Air #4 is awesome because it's a shout in disguise, but with a shorter cooldown. You can perform the skill next to a mob and still be out of combat. So good.

I enjoy playing Staff + Arcane utilities. It's almost like I'm playing the skill bar backwards, with Arcane skills being my DPS and Staff skills kinda sorta playing support. Instant blasts and crits on demand from my utility bar? Yes, please!

Then I got my Tempest unlocked and sacrificed my staff + Arcane for warhorn + shouts. I'm forcing myself to enjoy warhorn since none of my characters used that weapon. Playing warhorn + shouts so far has not been fun. I'll continue to tinker around, probably drop the shouts.

Silver Fed Salvage o Matic is totally worth it
I was looking in to this recently and was under the impression the silver fed one was essentially never worth it, while the copper fed one was. Isn't the silver one more expensive than the standard kit? Unless you're constantly filling up on rares and exotics, it seems pretty unnecessary when mystic kits exist.

Azzurri

So I've been basically been just doing spvp after I did the core Tyrian stuff like personal story and lws2 and some mastery points too. I did do the intro to HoT so I could get gliding.

Anyways I'm doing verdant brink and I literally have no clue how to navigate it. I'm literally just running
And gliding around getting vistas and hero points and poi but I have no idea what I'm really doing.

Is there an easy way to navigate this stupid zone? It's little things like this the piss mr off. I really hate zones that are so shit to navigate. I just wanna log out and not log back.

Massicot

To be honest, knowing I will never have to see the mystic forge UI again just to make a salvage kit is reason enough for me. ¬_¬

Massicot

So I've been basically been just doing spvp after I did the core Tyrian stuff like personal story and lws2 and some mastery points too. I did do the intro to HoT so I could get gliding.

Anyways I'm doing verdant brink and I literally have no clue how to navigate it. I'm literally just running
And gliding around getting vistas and hero points and poi but I have no idea what I'm really doing.

Is there an easy way to navigate this stupid zone? It's little things like this the piss mr off. I really hate zones that are so shit to navigate. I just wanna log out and not log back.

The short answer is no. A lot of people dislike the HoT maps for this reason. The way that might make it more palatable would be to find a hero point train in the lfg: most will assume you don't have the waypoints and often will assume you might not have every mastery.

SourBear

Banned
VB and AB really aren't that bad once you get used to them - like learning to navigate a big city after you've lived there awhile. Tangled Depths on the other hand is shit tier garbage. TD is the one map I'd be afraid that no one bothers with post PoF.

Indignate

VB and AB really aren't that bad once you get used to them - like learning to navigate a big city after you've lived there awhile. Tangled Depths on the other hand is shit tier garbage. TD is the one map I'd be afraid that no one bothers with post PoF.

Tangled Depths isn't really that bad once you get use to it - like learning to navigate a big chak-infested city after you've lived there awhile.

Dead

well not really...yet
Tangled Depths is mad fun when running with experienced groups. But yeah when it goes bad it's kinda infuriating...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom