• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 - Heart of Thorns |OT| Welcome to the Jungle...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart444

I adore ele staff in solo pve. It's so versatile. The swiftness skill of Air #4 is awesome because it's a shout in disguise, but with a shorter cooldown. You can perform the skill next to a mob and still be out of combat. So good.

I enjoy playing Staff + Arcane utilities. It's almost like I'm playing the skill bar backwards, with Arcane skills being my DPS and Staff skills kinda sorta playing support. Instant blasts and crits on demand from my utility bar? Yes, please!

Then I got my Tempest unlocked and sacrificed my staff + Arcane for warhorn + shouts. I'm forcing myself to enjoy warhorn since none of my characters used that weapon. Playing warhorn + shouts so far has not been fun. I'll continue to tinker around, probably drop the shouts.

Well it's not like you need to use Warhorn. Staff is still one of the best even as Tempest. The Shout utilities can be pretty useful at times but outside of "Wash the Pain Away" (which is pretty good), none of them are that good that you should force yourself to use them.

Morokh

So I've been basically been just doing spvp after I did the core Tyrian stuff like personal story and lws2 and some mastery points too. I did do the intro to HoT so I could get gliding.

Anyways I'm doing verdant brink and I literally have no clue how to navigate it. I'm literally just running
And gliding around getting vistas and hero points and poi but I have no idea what I'm really doing.

Is there an easy way to navigate this stupid zone? It's little things like this the piss mr off. I really hate zones that are so shit to navigate. I just wanna log out and not log back.

The maps get gradually easier to navigate as you get all the masteries and learn how to use them in each zone.
Mobs can be annoying and deadly but once you know them it'seems easy to avoid what they do or avoid them period unless you HAVE to fight them.

Spyware

So I've been basically been just doing spvp after I did the core Tyrian stuff like personal story and lws2 and some mastery points too. I did do the intro to HoT so I could get gliding.

Anyways I'm doing verdant brink and I literally have no clue how to navigate it. I'm literally just running
And gliding around getting vistas and hero points and poi but I have no idea what I'm really doing.

Is there an easy way to navigate this stupid zone? It's little things like this the piss mr off. I really hate zones that are so shit to navigate. I just wanna log out and not log back.
That stoopid zone made me quit playing for almost a year.

When the disappointment over HoT had faded I came back with a completely different mindset. I let it take time, made sure not to just look at the map but actually check my surroundings and try to see ways to get to a point that I decided was my goal to reach.
I would have enjoyed that immensely if the zone wasn't full of crappy mobs and group events. Ohwell, I learned VB that way and almost like it now, AB isn't bad at all map-wise but sucks due to mega horrible enemies everywhere and TD is still the worst zone in any MMO I've played. Yuck.
HoT is stupid :(

Azzurri

That stoopid zone made me quit playing for almost a year.

When the disappointment over HoT had faded I came back with a completely different mindset. I let it take time, made sure not to just look at the map but actually check my surroundings and try to see ways to get to a point that I decided was my goal to reach.
I would have enjoyed that immensely if the zone wasn't full of crappy mobs and group events. Ohwell, I learned VB that way and almost like it now, AB isn't bad at all map-wise but sucks due to mega horrible enemies everywhere and TD is still the worst zone in any MMO I've played. Yuck.
HoT is stupid :(

Yea, I'm just watching YT videos and following the guides for all the crap to make it easier. Once I got some masteries it gets easier, but I still hate how it's a puzzle to get around maps. I believe that an MMO should never make open world maps a PITA to navigate just for the sake of being annoying. When I play in the open world I want to have an enjoyable time, not pulling my hair out and watching YT videos just to figure shit out.

I also couldn't get into HOT at first and left for about a year. It was a lot of stuff all at once. I was trying to use the elite spec while not having it fully unlocked so I was underpowered, enemy mobs in the world and bosses in the events were leagues harder than they were previously, Verdant Brink was incredibly hard to navigate and even wrap your head around at first.

A year later I came back and after finally working through all those issues it became some of the most fun I've had in gaming.

Honestly that might have been the most perfectly timed hiatus ever since I left right before the content drought and came back once they were getting ready to start launching LWS3.

SourBear

Banned
Regarding LWS3.

Is it just me or are the mobs in Bloodstone Fen way easier than the mobs in Lake Doric? I have no problems in Bloodstone Fen but I die all the time in Lake Doric and I feel like the mobs are just way beefier and harder hitting.

Regarding LWS3.

Is it just me or are the mobs in Bloodstone Fen way easier than the mobs in Lake Doric? I have no problems in Bloodstone Fen but I die all the time in Lake Doric and I feel like the mobs are just way beefier and harder hitting.

It's not you. Lake Doric mobs are the most overtuned basic and veteran mobs in the game. Basic enemies have 25-35k health (The average is about 15k) and veterans can have like 60k health. I'm not sure why they never tuned them down a bit to be more inline with everything else in HoT and LWS3.

-Opaque-

By having the utilities change based on both the weapon and legend you have more customization options than the original design had, and even more choice than the current iteration has because you would need to design a set of utility skills for each weapon + legend combo. Which is far more skills than the Revenant currently has - but still not nearly as many as Elementalist has. Still, I think this would offer the variety and choice players want from the class that is lacking - even after taking away the weapon swap to compensate.

Yeah that sounds way better. Rev just feels kind of awkward, I like some bits of it but having no real customisation on the utilities does suck and the energy mechanic doesn't feel great either. The new elite spec is kinda cool and I'm debating if I should use my 80 boost for it, tossing up between rev, guardian and ele.

Ashodin

Regarding LWS3.

Haven't fought too many enemies there, but I'm interested in how hard they are!

Anno

Isn't Lake Doric the one where you get a bunch of stacking buffs as you do stuff around the map? I imagine the enemies are overtuned because of how much more damage you can do.

Massicot

If you were stock piling proofs of heroics to insta unlock the new elite specs in PoF you can forget about it. They are introducing a new currency to unlock PoF points.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/wuv/Will-vendors-be-updated-for-PoF/first#post6743184

This sounds like to me you could still use Proofs of Heroics to unlock Hero Points on Core/HoT maps to have Hero Point currency for the new Spec. Just not actually clear the Hero Point objects on the new maps (or insta buy 6 of some new awesome rune).

Topper

I jumped back in recently and just pre ordered the deluxe version of PoF, any suggestions on what to use the 4000 gems on? I have never bought anything from the gem store yet so not sure what is best value/useful to have upgraded.

Ashodin

I jumped back in recently and just pre ordered the deluxe version of PoF, any suggestions on what to use the 4000 gems on? I have never bought anything from the gem store yet so not sure what is best value/useful to have upgraded.

copper salvage o matic

put it in your free shared inventory slot

mistlock sanctuary item, put that in your other one

The copper and silver fed salvagematics are solid purchases, as are bag and bank slots, shared inventory spots and increased material storage in my opinion.

Massicot

Copper Fed Salvage o Matic - This one is non negotiable.

I would also get:

A set of infinite gathering tool (these rotate out periodically with different types with differing animations)

Silver o Matic (read up)

If you have a clear "main", I personally would max out bag slots for it.

And I like getting more Material Storage Expanders and bank tabs but I know some people would just prefer to make mules.

Am I the only one who couldn't do the color puzzle in the first part of LS3?

Half the time I failed the first or second phase.

I made it to the last phase only once before I gave up and just skipped it.

Made me feel bad that I can't even remember 3 colours that were just shown to me.

Stuart444

Made me feel bad that I can't even remember 3 colours that were just shown to me.

Nah, I had issues with it as well but I had my partner remember it while I did the inputs. Worked out well considering how fast the later patterns go (I could remember the first two of the later ones, I just had my partner remember the later ones)

If I was alone, yeah, I'd have not gotten it without looking it up on the wiki,

I said them out loud so I would remember them easier.

Aim_Ed

Anyone else feel like the deluxe editions are very underwhelming?

GW is one of the few PC franchises I buy physical copies of.

Anyone else feel like the deluxe editions are very underwhelming?

GW is one of the few PC franchises I buy physical copies of.

Deluxe for GW2 is great, got a 2 week banker, Elite Skill.. once a bug with the bankers, if you put the banker in your bank, then delete the character the banker became available to all characters...I still have a few bankers left over...

Hot Deluxe is a lame Glider
PoF Deluxe is a horrible outfit and special area....meh.

Aim_Ed

Deluxe for GW2 is great, got a 2 week banker, Elite Skill.. once a bug with the bankers, if you put the banker in your bank, then delete the character the banker became available to all characters...I still have a few bankers left over...

Hot Deluxe is a lame Glider
PoF Deluxe is a horrible outfit and special area....meh.

Lol, I forgot all about the wolf.

I just think it's big missed opportunities that they're not offering physical collector's editions.

I'm thinking about getting into this game, I've decided on playing 1 of 3 professions to start.
Warrior, Guardian, and Thief are the three that I'm currently looking at.

I'm mainly curious about elite specializations and how significant of a role they play in your profession for endgame. If I decide to play Thief will I be stuck using a rifle because of the Deadeye specialization? If not, and I decide to mainly use daggers would I be putting myself at a huge disadvantage?

Ashodin

I'm thinking about getting into this game, I've decided on playing 1 of 3 professions to start.

I'm mainly curious about elite specializations and how significant of a role they play in your profession for endgame. If I decide to play Thief will I be stuck using a rifle because of the Deadeye specialization? If not, and I decide to mainly use daggers would I be putting myself at a huge disadvantage?
No and no. You can play largely how you want. There are suggested builds for raids and fractals, but nearly everything can be completed playing exactly how you want

Fishious

Using an elite specialization is optional. Depending on the class there are sometimes meta builds that only use the core specialization lines. And once PoF is out, thieves will have the option of running either Daredevil or Deadeye as their elite specialization so if you don't like one, you can always use the other. Lastly, using an elite specialization does not mean you have to use the elite specialization's weapon. There are LOTS of meta builds for most classes that use the HoT elite spec, but don't use their new weapon.

Ashodin

And different weapons are better for different builds. A guardian focusing on healing power would use a staff or mace, for example.

No and no. You can play largely how you want. There are suggested builds for raids and fractals, but nearly everything can be completed playing exactly how you want

Using an elite specialization is optional. Depending on the class there are sometimes meta builds that only use the core specialization lines. And once PoF is out, thieves will have the option of running either Daredevil or Deadeye as their elite specialization so if you don't like one, you can always use the other. Lastly, using an elite specialization does not mean you have to use the elite specialization's weapon. There are LOTS of meta builds for most classes that use the HoT elite spec, but don't use their new weapon.

Awesome, thanks guys.

I think I'll try out Warrior for now, and give the other two a shot later depending on how things go.

Azzurri

Hey guys,

Can you craft ascended gear w/o the time gating of some of the materials you need? Or do you have to craft it and not buy it off the TP?

Taffer

Hey guys,

Can you craft ascended gear w/o the time gating of some of the materials you need? Or do you have to craft it and not buy it off the TP?

The once-a-day ascended refined materials are account-bound but the ingots/planks/whatever they are used in can be sold on the TP (or bought in your case).

Massicot

Finally got excess hero points and weapons ready on all my characters so I should be able to try out whichever elite spec of whichever general stat spread with PoF right away (unless it's something off the wall like healy Holosmith or something bonkers.) Been building up Karma and other currencies just in case as well. Little short on gold though..

Less than two weeks!

Finally got excess hero points and weapons ready on all my characters so I should be able to try out whichever elite spec of whichever general stat spread with PoF right away (unless it's something off the wall like healy Holosmith or something bonkers.) Been building up Karma and other currencies just in case as well. Little short on gold though..

Less than two weeks!

Didn't they say that they are using something else for unlocking elite specs instead of hero points?

I could have sworn I read something stating that there was a different way to obtain them in PoF.

SourBear

Banned
Didn't they say that they are using something else for unlocking elite specs instead of hero points?

I could have sworn I read something stating that there was a different way to obtain them in PoF.

Hero points are still used for elite unlocks. What is changing is purchasing the completion of hero point challenges. PoF specific challenges will cost a different kind of currency than Vanilla/HoT challenges.

Massicot

They said that Proofs of Heroics would be replaced with something else for the Notary for unlocking PoF Hero Points and Recipes/etc. I'm assuming the Hero Point # in the hero panel will be the same, but I suppose there's a chance that that changes too. I'm betting against it though.

Waxy

Has anyone ever had a problem where you aren't receiving any email authentication codes when you try to log in? We got new internet at my place and now when I try to log in it says put in the code that I received in an email to authenticate my network or w/e, but I don't get an email. I created a support ticket but no word, I can't even log into the GW2 site to look at my account. It's really frustrating cause I want to finally beat HoT before PoF.

Auraela

Banned
reshade now allows removal of fog

37032811511_fa5244b2ac_o.png

note players arent rendered where the fog normally is, all you see is the textures that have always been rendered when the fog was there.

npcs players objects dont get shown any different to before

sca2511

Are dual daggers for an ele still pretty decent for solo pve play? I find i'm just getting destroyed using a staff

I'm currently a dual dagger elementalist and it's pretty good for solo pve. I'm using an assassin/berserker hybrid for stats and since I'm using a fresh air build. So I'm mostly in air attunement, usually switching to fire when my air overload is on cool down.

If I have condition damage equipment, I switch to the fire attunement with a fire + arcane build, really good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom