• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 public Beta is here for pre-purchases! [Stress Test June 27th]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jira

They had the same exact thing in GW1. Good to see it made its way into this game too. What they did not have was this ability to deposit into the bank from anywhere though... that would be amazing. Was that working in the beta? I completely missed it if so.

Into your bank bank, no, you'd need a golemn butler to do that.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hawkian's gamepad guide about 10 pages back was extremely useful. I ended up creating my own profile though as I preferred a different layout, but it was excellent for inspiration and the end results were pleasant. Circle strafing enemies is so stupidly easy, and I can't possibly play with mouse/keyboard now. Gamepad is seriously the way to go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHDMD6FNcHk

I ended up mapping my wired 360 controller this way:

Left Analog = Movement
Right Analog = Camera
LB = Dodge
RB = Tab Targetting
A = Jump
X = 1
Y = 2
B = 3
RT + A = Interact/Loot
RT + X = 4
RT + Y = 5
RT + B = 6
LT + A = 0
LT + X = 7
LT + Y = 8
LT + B = 9
Select = Swap Weapon Set
Start = Map
Left Stick Button = Autorun
Right Stick Button = Toggle Mouse Cursor
D-Pad Left = F1
D-Pad Up = F2
D-Pad Right = F3
D-Pad Down = F4

You can't go completely mouse-less with this set-up like you can with Hawkian's, but I found it more intuitive for combat, and I prefer to just grab the mouse in the event that I need to interact with the map or menus anyway. The analog stick just doesn't have the precision I need.
Very cool!
3AQmK.gif
And I definitely have to agree with the bolded.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 ...

ASUS P8P67 DELUXE (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

SAPPHIRE 11196-00-40G Radeon HD 7950 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B

Corsair Force Series GT CSSD-F120GBGT-BK 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

ASUS VW246H Glossy Black 24" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor

COOLER MASTER GX Series RS650-ACAAE3-US 650W ATX12V v2.31 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible Intel ...

i can has free money plz?

KKRT00

Oh i'm not commenting on the quality of your shots, just that some screens might not be representative of the actual visuals in game. Fraps is probably the best way since you get an accurate shot no matter what though.

Yes i know, just saying that with FRAPS all effects are in :)

Thoraxes

Ha, yeah I could easily have saved money in multiple areas but I decided to just really beast as much as I felt was reasonable. I'm going to OC it, of course. Probably to 4.5-4.7 or so. This system should last me quite a while. As for internet, We have the highest package deal with Cox, but I unfortunately have to resort to a wireless NIC which I also purchased with all this other stuff. Should be really strong signal and I also have a repeater set up in my office so I should be alright. Would be nice to have a direct connection to the router but it's in my roommate's office :|

You'll still have beta performance issues until they optimize it near retail though :/

But congrats on the new rig!

Hawkian's gamepad guide about 10 pages back was extremely useful. I ended up creating my own profile though as I preferred a different layout, but it was excellent for inspiration and the end results were pleasant. Circle strafing enemies is so stupidly easy, and I can't possibly play with mouse/keyboard now. Gamepad is seriously the way to go.

You can't go completely mouse-less with this set-up like you can with Hawkian's, but I found it more intuitive for combat, and I prefer to just grab the mouse in the event that I need to interact with the map or menus anyway. The analog stick just doesn't have the precision I need.

While there's still optimization to be done, it was nice running Guild Wars 2 at 2560x1440 on my iMac under bootcamp. I had to turn shaders to medium and shadows to high, but everything else was maxed out and FXAA was running. The only time my framerate dropped into the teens was when I'd come out of the water and had all the droplets with the distortion effects on my screen. I usually was sitting in the mid 30s, so I'm excited to see how the game runs when it starts utilizing my GPU more effectively.
Too bad I can't play staff elementalist without a mouse.

Absinthe

Left Analog = Movement
Right Analog = Camera
LB = Dodge
RB = Tab Targetting
A = Jump
X = 1
Y = 2
B = 3
RT + A = Interact/Loot
RT + X = 4
RT + Y = 5
RT + B = 6
LT + A = 0
LT + X = 7
LT + Y = 8
LT + B = 9
Select = Swap Weapon Set
Start = Map
D-Pad Left = F1
D-Pad Up = F2
D-Pad Right = F3
D-Pad Down = F4

Did this as well, slightly different keybindings, but I was really impressed.

One thing that is frustrating is picking up loot, I select it with "interact" and then have to move the mouse over and hit the mouse button to put in in the inventory. Unless you or hawkian know of a better way to do this.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
One thing that is frustrating is picking up loot, I select it with "interact" and then have to move the mouse over and hit the mouse button to put in in the inventory. Unless you or hawkian know of a better way to do this.
There is a checkbox in the options that is called "auto-loot" that loots everything when you press interact.
I even use it without a gamepad because screw using a mouse to select each item.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Did this as well, slightly different keybindings, but I was really impressed.

Uh, hell yeah. Go into the settings and check "auto-loot" :p

So glad the gamepad love is spreading! I hope Anet considers adding native support, it really is glorious fun.

edit: Beaten! How can this be!

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Having GW2 withdrawal now.

I keep opening the client for no reason.
I'm also having withdrawal. I'm already thinking about my second character I'm going to create and I'm not even level 1 with my main character.

I'm also very much looking forward to trying the game out with a gamepad. Too bad the instructions were posted after I already had to stop playing the game due to work.

inky

I didn't like the crafting UI. I don't like drop down lists of million of things you can do plus it didn't seem to have a 'collapse/expand' all option either.

I'm not sure exactly how to explain it, but I think with a little bit more work they could have done a better design. Basically a mix of drop down menus for the top categories and in the graphical part of the UI a tree-like design that showed the different variations depending on the materials you use. I dislike how crafting feels more grindy than grinding on some MMOs, and other than it being faster it doesn't seem like ANET did too much to break the paradigm. At least on first sight.

Valnen

Daaaamn. Perfect MMO for dat comfy couch confirmed.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm also having withdrawal. I'm already thinking about my second character I'm going to create and I'm not even level 1 with my main character.

I'm also very much looking forward to trying the game out with a gamepad. Too bad the instructions were posted after I already had to stop playing the game due to work.
I'm sorry about that! WvW is really hard to pull yourself away from :(

Daaaamn. Perfect MMO for dat comfy couch confirmed.
I played the last 2-3 hours of the beta lying down looking at it in 1080p on a 103'' projection screen <3

Trey

Uh, hell yeah. Go into the settings and check "auto-loot" :p

So glad the gamepad love is spreading! I hope Anet considers adding native support, it really is glorious fun.

Hawkian, you magnificent bastard. I've been contemplating rocking a 360 controller in this game for a while now. I definitely will be switching some buttons around, but on the whole it's close to how I would have bound the keys.

NeededSleep

/cry they should at least leave the settings(want to set up the 360 controller now! :D) up with us to play around as well as the character creator! *_*

*edit*
Anyone know if they are creating some sort of account security token/smart phone addon?
With the idea of using their gem store with CC info im kinda reluctant to use it until they add a feature.
Or does the CC info have to be added each time and not stored?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hawkian, you magnificent bastard. I've been contemplating rocking a 360 controller in this game for a while now. I definitely will be switching some buttons around, but on the whole it's close to how I would have bound the keys.
It's great because it's completely customizable with TGC basically to any specs you could possibly want. Like you see above with Parn' setup, he doesn't even rely on skillset toggles at all (although I really like it). But yeah, you can really make it suit your style.

Once I solved the camera issue with AutoHotKey, it was all gravy from then on. The remaining issues I have with it are seriously so minor as to be negligible. I'll be playing the whole game this way!

/cry they should at least leave the settings(want to set up the 360 controller now! :D) up with us to play around as well as the character creator! *_*
You can set up the controller completely without using the game! You need a control sheet... one sec....

Proven

Left Analog = Movement
Right Analog = Camera
LB = Dodge
RB = Tab Targetting
A = Jump
X = 1
Y = 2
B = 3
RT + A = Interact/Loot
RT + X = 4
RT + Y = 5
RT + B = 6
LT + A = 0
LT + X = 7
LT + Y = 8
LT + B = 9
Select = Swap Weapon Set
Start = Map
D-Pad Left = F1
D-Pad Up = F2
D-Pad Right = F3
D-Pad Down = F4

While there's still optimization to be done, it was nice running Guild Wars 2 at 2560x1440 on my iMac under bootcamp. I had to turn shaders to medium and shadows to high, but everything else was maxed out and FXAA was running. The only time my framerate dropped into the teens was when I'd come out of the water and had all the droplets with the distortion effects on my screen. I usually was sitting in the mid 30s, so I'm excited to see how the game runs when it starts utilizing my GPU more effectively.
Ok, this set up is perfect for me. I'm using this next beta. What's the link for the program again?

Trey

So I didnt get to play much of the beta, was it really as outrageously difficult as that earlier poster was saying?

It varied. I think people just needed to get more used to the game, but there were some events which were unfairly scaled that made being in melee range a nightmare.

Absinthe

There is a checkbox in the options that is called "auto-loot" that loots everything when you press interact.
I even use it without a gamepad because screw using a mouse to select each item.

Awesome! That will help for sure in the next beta.

Controller-GAF is catching on.

Retro

Alright. I'm back, after staying up until 3am for the closing event and spending the day in recovery mode.

Still decompressing, but if there was any doubt about this game before, it's gone now. I posted some thoughts on the second day, but I hadn't hit WvW or really gotten into a groove at that point.

My goal for the BWE was to decide which class I want to start as at launch, Warrior or Guardian. I played both to level 11. Guardian took longer for me to get a feel for, but I feel like I had a skewed experience on my warrior since I was solo a lot and that had me relying on my Rifle more than melee. I still don't know which I want to experience first, but I know for sure I will have one of each (they were unique enough in their playstyle that I would want to play them both).

I also know I will probably not roll a norn. I had the same problem with Tauren in WoW; Cool race (especially when you get them armored) but their size makes it feel like you're moving slower. Switching back to a human was like sprinting, and it's all about perception.

Also, obligatory Image dump: http://imgur.com/a/mINSt

That fucking Picnic thing was incredible, no event or anything, just... random world flavor. Very cool.

For anyone who's curious, some dude on MMO champ has found the list of dungeons and taken screenshots of some of the armors.

Hey, he found Dougal too. Very cool.

And holy shit, a Kodan Sanctuary dungeon?

ayZZh.jpg

FUCK YEAH!

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Controller setup...

Damn you guys, really nice setups. Will that only work with a 360 controller or are PS3 controllers fine too?

I also know I will probably not roll a norn. I had the same problem with Tauren in WoW; Cool race (especially when you get them armored) but their size makes it feel like you're moving slower. Switching back to a human was like sprinting, and it's all about perception.

Good man.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
This is probably a stupid question but is there a way to use the gamepad + keyboard, mouse for the stuff that may be harder to use when out of combat (like crafting, chat window, other various options)?

That would be my only issue. I can't see the gamepad being an efficient way to do all that stuff but I could be wrong. I also know if I use the gamepad, I'll be using voice chat for grouping and the like.

Card Boy

Banned
I really just hope Anet works hard to improve the game for the next beta event based on the feedback they received, and not rest on their laurels.

Other than the carebears that complained the game was too hard, there was alot of good feedback i saw on the GW2 forums.

Symphonic

Had a ton of fun with the weekend. Reeeaaaallly want to play more, especially WvW and PVP with a group of people that know what they're doing.

I hope they raise the guild limit for the next BWE, being split into two guilds is kinda strange and inconvenient.

edit: Forgot to ask, is GAF staying on Henge?

Bree

Did anyone happen to see the Claw of the Khan-Ur? I know it was supposed to be in the Black Citadel in the Imperial Core, but I never saw it. Screenshots????

Deitus

Damn you guys, really nice setups. Will that only work with a 360 controller or are PS3 controllers fine too?

Windows has native support for the 360 controller, provided you have a wired controller, or a bluetooth adaptor (since no data is sent over the play and charge kit's USB cable, that will not work).

To get a PS3 controller working with windows, you will need a free program called "MotionJoy." With this, you can use a Dual Shock 3 or Sixaxis controller (3rd party controllers are unfortunately not supported) to either funcation as a PS3 controller or emulate a 360 controller, as well as some other options. No additional hardware is necessary, just the USB cable that you use to charge your controller. The PS3 controller option allows for pressure sensitive buttons and analog triggers as well as Sixaxis functionality, but it requires you to calibrate everything, and quite frankly doesn't do a good job of explaining what it wants you to do.

The 360 controller emulation, however, just works. Choose the option, and windows will recognize it as a 360 controller, and automatically download all of the necessary drivers for a 360 controller. This is what I did, and following Hawkian's tutorial for keybindings it worked like a charm.

SDBurton

Had a ton of fun with the weekend. Reeeaaaallly want to play more, especially WvW and PVP with a group of people that know what they're doing.

I hope they raise the guild limit for the next BWE, being split into two guilds is kinda strange and inconvenient.

edit: Forgot to ask, is GAF staying on Henge?

Doubt it. Pretty sure there was talk to moving to a server where the WvW group was actually good. :lol

SDBurton

Windows has native support for the 360 controller, provided you have a wired controller, or a bluetooth adaptor (since no data is sent over the play and charge kit's USB cable, that will not work).

To get a PS3 controller working with windows, you will need a free program called "MotionJoy." With this, you can use a Dual Shock 3 or Sixaxis controller (3rd party controllers are unfortunately not supported) to either funcation as a PS3 controller or emulate a 360 controller, as well as some other options. No additional hardware is necessary, just the USB cable that you use to charge your controller. The PS3 controller option allows for pressure sensitive buttons and analog triggers as well as Sixaxis functionality, but it requires you to calibrate everything, and quite frankly doesn't do a good job of explaining what it wants you to do.

The 360 controller emulation, however, just works. Choose the option, and windows will recognize it as a 360 controller, and automatically download all of the necessary drivers for a 360 controller. This is what I did, and following Hawkian's tutorial for keybindings it worked like a charm.

Ok thanks, I just wanted to double check. Already have MotionJoy and Xpadder so I may give that a go next time. If worse comes to worse I can just either buy an adapter or a wired 360 controller.

J-Rzez

An August release is just about the longest I can wait for GW2. Not sure how I'd manage to wait longer than that without losing some interest. An open beta once a month won't really cut it either if the wait is 4+ months.

June probably for me. I'm not waiting that long considering I paid in full for the game already. I'd probably just cancel out of principal then, and purchase from GS so a middleman gets more of a cut of their money. Pre-order is one thing, pre-purchase is totally different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom