• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 public Beta is here for pre-purchases! [Stress Test June 27th]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see how that would help a Thief since their abilities have no cooldowns. They just run off of initiative.

I thought the same thing, but for other classes it could be huge.

He actually says a few things in the video that didn't make sense to me, but it could be that I just didn't grasp some of the mechanics. Like I don't know why exactly after battle he would always switch his weapons and take fall damage. I get why he would waste his steal weapon, to get the shadow step back, but the fall damage I didn't understand. Also he was saying something about restoring his sigils somehow but I didn't catch that either. Guess I'll go do some research.

I was just looking at it, seems he has some of those sigils which give you different effects after swapping your weapon set. It's possible that falling damage puts you into combat mode for a small amount of time, since he swaps weapon sets after that and it goes on the normal weapon swap cooldown, which only happens in combat.

Jira

Haha, That PvP video with the thief is doing something so simple and genius but I never thought about it. Using the same weapons in both weapon swaps. If you have an ability that your build is dependent on, you now have two of those abilities instead of being reliant on one with the cooldown.

But Thieves have no cooldowns on weapon skills so that didn't make sense to do that.

I was just looking at it, seems he has some of those sigils which give you different effects after swapping your weapon set. It's possible that falling damage puts you into combat mode for a small amount of time, since he swaps weapon sets after that and it goes on the normal weapon swap cooldown, which only happens in combat.

Yeah, I am not sure. But he made sure he did it after every encounter so it must be important.

But Thieves have no cooldowns on weapon skills so that didn't make sense to do that.

Yeah it was basically the idea more than the use of it now. :lol Just that he made me realize it. Like put this idea with the Warrior from earlier, suddenly he has that stun up a lot more often.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I wasn't even thinking about it being a thief, just that that's another option for any class, a double set to get two rounds over your skill cooldowns at the cost of an alternate set of skills. Really clever.

Based on what he was saying seems he swapped for extra damage on his stealth attack so he could crit for over 10k each time.

I think we're only scratching the surface on what kinds of crazy builds will come out of this.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Based on what he was saying seems he swapped for extra damage on his stealth attack so he could crit for over 10k each time.

I think we're only scratching the surface on what kinds of crazy builds will come out of this.
Seems like it'd still be in his best interest to have a separate offhand weapon on one of the two sets...

Seems like it'd still be in his best interest to have a separate offhand weapon on one of the two sets...

This is his reply on the youtube video as to why he uses duel daggers on both sets.

"So I can switch them for sigil of doom and intel (give 100% crit and 30% more damage on next attack) so I can get huge damage on backstabs. Can also switch mid combat for some big heartseeker damage."

So he can essentially get the buff twice I guess, but that still doesn't explain why he doesn't have say a pistol or a sword on one of them. Since it isn't a duel attack.

Not sure what I am missing... :/ I'm still just floored by the idea of using two sets of the same weapon combo. :lol

gunbo13

Sounds like the story hasn't changed much recently. Player skill isn't there yet so you get false reports and incomplete scenarios. I typically don't worry about many of these things but they are worth getting opinions on. If something is broke I'll probably use it, not complain. etc...

My concerns lie with whether I am going to dig the combat. And I'm just going to have to cycle through some videos and probe some questions. I don't want to play a particle fest, a PvP system that runs stale quickly, or a completely imbalanced setup. I'm not saying those exist but I'm going to have to do my best going through the checklist. I will admit that the more action oriented combat of Tera grabbed my interest. But then I read that the GvG and stuff is pretty much pointless. No tourneys and stuff, just possible e-cred on being part of a bully guild. I'm not sure if that is true either though. ;)

So I'm also curious about players who have played both. Haly, you there?

jkoch

Please change the title. I hate seeing beta is live :(

Can't wait for the next BWE. I'm not like some of you that manage to learn everything about a game without ever having played it. I went in not knowing anything, and because of that did a lot of things wrong. Since then I've learned a lot though, so I'm dying to give it another try. Hoping for a BWE in May, although please don't let it be the 12th-13th...I'm going away that weekend.

This is his reply on the youtube video as to why he uses duel daggers on both sets.

"So I can switch them for sigil of doom and intel (give 100% crit and 30% more damage on next attack) so I can get huge damage on backstabs. Can also switch mid combat for some big heartseeker damage."

So he can essentially get the buff twice I guess, but that still doesn't explain why he doesn't have say a pistol or a sword on one of them. Since it isn't a duel attack.

Not sure what I am missing... :/ I'm still just floored by the idea of using two sets of the same weapon combo. :lol

Heartseeker is the second skill on the dagger in main hand. So using a sword would be out of the question since that's main hand only. I guess he prefers to have the cripple and more stealth available on both sets.

I think I'm sticking to the Warrior. I loved the way they described it in the Q&A/Blog and if I don't feel worthless as ranged during major sieges I'm all for it.

Going to have to do some major testing in PVP when the next BWE comes around and sort of avoid the PVE stuff for live and adventuring.

ShaneB

Please change the title. I hate seeing beta is live :(

Can't wait for the next BWE. I'm not like some of you that manage to learn everything about a game without ever having played it. I went in not knowing anything, and because of that did a lot of things wrong. Since then I've learned a lot though, so I'm dying to give it another try. Hoping for a BWE in May, although please don't let it be the 12th-13th...I'm going away that weekend.

Same here really, I knew very little about the actual game in terms of gameplay mechanics and all that, so one thing the final product needs will be tutorials suited towards folks that do know absolutely nothing.

Jira

Same here really, I knew very little about the actual game in terms of gameplay mechanics and all that, so one thing the final product needs will be tutorials suited towards folks that do know absolutely nothing.

Yeah they already said that was one of the big 3 things they're working on now.

Ferrio

Banned

Hrm, surprised he has enough time to switch skill sets before stealth wears off.

Conditions thief for me though. I'm going to make it work!

DJIzana

My most enjoyed character will be a Male Sylvari Guardian... but it'll be my second character. xD

I'm playing a Female Human Elementalist first time around because I haven't played a caster or ranged character in YEARS. (Yes, I know Guardian has some ranged attacks but I just mean that sort of play style in general.)

Ferrio

Banned
Hrrmm signet of malice isn't a life leech. That's good... thought I was gimping myself since i was low power+precision on my thief.

demolitio

Does anyone know if the Norn have any armor that's similar to barbarians or Germanic tribes? I've always liked the armor in GW that looked like it could be from real life but fits in the fantasy world of the series. I figured the Norn "were-form" and armor mix might look similar to some barbarian clothing.

I think I might play as a Norn because after reading their story, we have a lot in common, lol.
The norn normally have the appearance of large humans, but they are able to shift into a were-creature of one of the Spirits of the Wild. In their human form they are not only tall, at around nine feet, but their proportions are much broader and more heavily muscled than a typical human. Norn typically have light or pale skin, while those living in Lion's Arch have their skin tanned by the sun. According to Kranxx, norn generate a considerable amount of body heat at the slightest exertion.

The norn do not fear death as they believe the bold and strong can achieve immortality, but they do fear they will be weak and end up forgotten. Norn are a hearty, proud people - quick to anger but then quick to forgive. They are, by their nature, a race of optimists, keeping a positive outlook even though they have been driven from their homelands. A setback is seen as just another challenge to overcome. They respect those who can best them in a fight so brawling among norn is common.

Besides the whole part about them being really healthy, it's very similar because I'm tall like my dad with broad shoulders and pale due to some of the health problems I told some of you about, but also because my pituitary gland and temperature control don't work well at all now so I actually have a base temperature of 97 degrees and shot up to 100 after 10 minutes of physical therapy so they found out I overheat really easily and don't want me in the sun much anymore...I told my mom that I didn't fear death once we started talking about the medical problems and she looked at me like I was crazy, but that might be the military mindset you had to have in certain jobs at least.

Hell, I'm even a hairy beast so I could have a were-form and just not know it! :p

Was I meant to be a Norn in this game? Obviously there's a lot of differences too, lol. Man, see what I resort to talking about without GW2 to play? It's on my mind!

Also, Is there a good place to look at all the armor that's been released or seen ingame? I found a lot of great ones on polycount where artists like to show off their talents and some of that guy's work amazed me.

Elcheris

Neo Member
Hey guys, long time lurker here. I made a first impressions video with a couple friends after the first weekend: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDXvneUQRwU

Check it out if you want to hear our opinions on how it ran, let me know what you think! Im going to be uploading some ranger pvp with commentary over the next few days too.
EDIT: As promised, here is some ranger pvp! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4RoE0dCyfw&feature=youtu.be

As far as the thief discussion is going, I played a bunch and they do have really good damage output. Then again, that may have just been against the light armor classes running the default builds, which I found to be extremely squishy.

demolitio

Hey guys, long time lurker here. I made a first impressions video with a couple friends after the first weekend: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDXvneUQRwU

Check it out if you want to hear our opinions on how it ran, let me know what you think! Im going to be uploading some ranger pvp with commentary over the next few days too.

As far as the thief discussion is going, I played a bunch and they do have really good damage output. Then again, that may have just been against the light armor classes running the default builds, which I found to be extremely squishy.

Thanks for the video. The start of the video reminds me how much I hated the hair options in the beta. My one pet peeve in an MMO is lack of shit like a lot of hair choices simply because the games are all about being unique characters that come together and cosmetic choices help that area out a lot. I guess a lot of people think it doesn't matter since a lot of characters will have helms or hats on anyway. I was surprised at how much my character ended up looking like me though.

I did enjoy the thief once I learned to use him properly. The best part is having a ranged weapon as backup if you need it during a raid on WvWvW if the fighting is too busy for the thief to make out what's going and who to attack...lol. A shortbow would do decent AoE damage but the daggers basically made you a pest if you got passed people and could keep backstabbing them with those two skills and then escaping easily. Hell, even the sword was awesome since you can set up from a distance, use the third skill and teleport to the enemy and hit him, then use the skill again to teleport back out of danger. It was a class that was good with everything really once you got the hang of it. Oh, and right as the beta expired, I got an awesome piece of armor that blew mine away and made my character look even more like a mix of me and an assassin from Assassin's Creed...lol

How's the warrior class in your eyes or anyone else's for that matter? I've awesome liked their weaponry and their armor is always the most badass but I didn't get a chance to play as one yet. Is it a good role even in melee during PvP? Everyone talks about how melee sucks in PvP so I was kind of curious. I originally planned on doing a rifle/greatsword class before the beta and didn't get around to it.

I think I will start as Norn the more I read about them because the similarities are kind of hilarious and random. What developer decided to dive so deep into the race that they actually talk about them overheating in battle? That's some serious attention to detail and extremely coincidental how it matches up with me.

Elcheris

Neo Member
For the little bit of warrior I played in pvp, it was some of the most fun. With the default loadout you got there was a lot of survivability and decent damage output. I had a great run where we were fighting for about 5 minutes and I could have died so many times but managed to barely stay alive. The banner look like an infinite source of entertainment too!

Syrionus

Neo Member
Does anyone know if the Norn have any armor that's similar to barbarians or Germanic tribes? I've always liked the armor in GW that looked like it could be from real life but fits in the fantasy world of the series. I figured the Norn "were-form" and armor mix might look similar to some barbarian clothing.

I think I might play as a Norn because after reading their story, we have a lot in common, lol.

So you shapeshift?

demolitio

So you shapeshift?

As mentioned in the post:
Hell, I'm even a hairy beast so I could have a were-form and just not know it! :p

Was I meant to be a Norn in this game? Obviously there's a lot of differences too, lol. Man, see what I resort to talking about without GW2 to play? It's on my mind!

I put that in there to stop that question from coming up and it still didn't work apparently.

JonCha

Considering for the first time building my own PC. I'm running 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB of RAM (needs to be re-opened, as the other 4GB stick isn't registering) and NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256MB MacBook Pro. I know the beta was only using one core, so should I see how optimised the game is or start pricing up?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The little people took over this thread, Halp!
j2XtNl.jpg

You have to imagine the falling sunglasses and "deal with it," I'm at work.

Menelaus

Banned
So maybe it's old news, but I just found out about custom soundtracks today. Sounds insanely awesome!!

I know that many of you are fans of Jeremy Soule’s soundtracks. Rest assured, everything you love about the music of Guild Wars will be back in Guild Wars 2, but naturally with quite a few improvements.

One of the key features is the ability to tie any audio cue (including music) to our game’s dynamic event system. For example, if a fort comes under attack by centaurs, you might hear the music change to increase the tension of the situation. Even beyond this, the music system will work intelligently whenever you’re out in the world. By analyzing nearby friends and enemies and keeping track of what everyone is doing, it tries to gauge what’s happening in the world, and will switch up soundtracks accordingly, while still trying not to make the transitions too frequent or jarring

Finally, no matter how fantastic a game’s music is, when you hear the same music for the thousandth time, you start wanting to change things up a bit. Many players will simply turn the game music off and play their own collections. The problem is that an external music player has no context as to what’s going on in-game. Guild Wars 2 will offer a solution for this as well. We’re giving players the option of choosing external music playlists that the game’s audio engine will use as a replacement for the default in-game music. Players can choose different playlists for background ambience and battle music, for instance. Additionally, when appropriate, such as during cinematics, the game can revert back to in-game music temporarily to give the best possible cinematic experience, then resume the custom playlist when it’s done.

Here's a link on how to do it if you want to play around and start making your playlists for the next BWE!

It’s actually in and working, but the feature wasn’t publicly documented. Here’s how it currently works: Under [Your Name]\Documents\Guild Wars Gw2Dev folder, you’ll see that GW2 creates a Music folder next to the Screens folder (where screenshots go). All you need to do to get your external music collection playing in the game is to create a playlist of the appropriate name and type in this folder.

Supported playlist formats are .wpl, .m3u, .pls, .asx, and .wax. Supported audio types are everything FMOD supports by default, which includes .mp3, .ogg, .flac, .wav. aiff, and a bunch of old-school music formats, like .mid or .it files.

There are eight specific playlists the game recognizes, and these are designated simply by the playlist’s file name. They are: Ambient, Battle, Underwater, City, Crafting, BossBattle, NightTime, and MainMenu. Hopefully these are somewhat self-explanatory in terms of when you might expect to hear them play.

So, for example, if you create a playlist called Ambient.m3u, anything in that playlist will be heard instead of the standard in-game ambient music (the general music you hear when running around in the world).

Each internal playlist can designate a primary and secondary playlist to look for. Most of the playlists will fall back to Ambient if they do not exist. This means that if you’d like to simply replace the majority of the music in the game, you can just create an Ambient playlist, or maybe just Ambient and Battle.

However, if you really want to customize your playlist in detail, you can create the more specialized playlists such as NightTime or Crafting.

The easiest (and at the moment, the only) way to test this is with a MainMenu playlist, since that will replace the music at the login screen.

Trey

Considering for the first time building my own PC. I'm running 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB of RAM (needs to be re-opened, as the other 4GB stick isn't registering) and NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256MB MacBook Pro. I know the beta was only using one core, so should I see how optimised the game is or start pricing up?

May as well do it anyways.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Perfect response.
I wanna try actually making that into a Deal With It gif unless somebody can beat me to it.
Team Asura Domination GAF (T.A.D.G.A.F.)!
Oh hell yeah. Pwning bookahs since 2012.

May as well do it anyways.
Tragically, JonCha is the first person to ask in this thread about their configuration that I would actually recommend an upgrade to regardless of the upcoming optimizations. Those stats are just getting a little long in the tooth, particularly an under 2.5ghz clocked dual-core and a 256MB framebuffer on the videocard. It's time to look to the future :-[

Menelaus

Banned
Tragically, JonCha is the first person to ask in this thread about their configuration that I would actually recommend an upgrade to regardless of the upcoming optimizations. Those stats are just getting a little long in the tooth, particularly an under 2.5ghz clocked dual-core and a 256MB framebuffer on the videocard. It's time to look to the future :-[

Agree, my wife has a better rig and it ran like hot garbage even at low resolutions.

Anyone here in some friendly GW guild that would accept a newb? I really need that chatter while I game. I got this urge to finish Nightfall and Eye of the North but can't do it "alone" :)

Originally my brother who couldn't make it into the beta wanted to find out just how well it ran on his 2008 PC that he's been contemplating to upgrade. Originally before the first patch it ran absolutely terrible medium and low, so I didn't want to try out high.

Specifications:
Nvidia Geforce 9600 GT
Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 @ 2.2Ghz
2GB DDR2 RAM
1680x1050 Monitor

However, afterwards...
It runs max above usually at around 40FPS but drops down pretty low in heavy combat in World v World, I'm pretty amazed at how well this runs. It's pretty similar to the performance of the PC that I built recently! Sure, the beta isn't exactly optimized but it surprises me that even at this state it runs well on this PC.

And just so people know, I was Kotipelto on the GAF Guild.

ShaneB

Originally my brother who couldn't make it into the beta wanted to find out just how well it ran on his 2008 PC that he's been contemplating to upgrade. Originally before the first patch it ran absolutely terrible medium and low, so I didn't want to try out high.

Specifications:
Nvidia Geforce 9600 GT
Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 @ 2.2Ghz
2GB DDR2 RAM
1680x1050 Monitor

However, afterwards...

It runs max above usually at around 40FPS but drops down pretty low in heavy combat in World v World, I'm pretty amazed at how well this runs. It's pretty similar to the performance of the PC that I built recently! Sure, the beta isn't exactly optimized but it surprises me that even at this state it runs well on this PC.

And just so people know, I was Kotipelto on the GAF Guild.

Yeah, Anet is smart enough to realize that a successful MMO is built around the idea that everyone can play it, and not that the first question people ask is "can I run it??"

And, I saw you in WvWvW a bunch! :) Had I known about those Squads things, it would be fun to all run together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom