• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 public Beta is here for pre-purchases! [Stress Test June 27th]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
As long as your have a fairly recent gpu your graphics card is NOT gonna be affecting performance heavily this weekend. This is coming from ANet directly.

Vesper73

Why must games compound their crappy view distance by adding a static bitmap in the background to simulate distant terrain??? I hate that so bad. It looks like shit!

Why must games compound their crappy view distance by adding a static bitmap in the background to simulate distant terrain??? I hate that so bad. It looks like shit!

What res are your textures at? I've heard that the static bitmaps have the brush stroke effect and actually add a lot to the visual appeal.

Vestal

Gold Member
If you are seeing Black Purple or Green screen and see the UI then u must turn off Depth of Field..

Been moving around a bit, I was expecting some better graphics but hey its alright.

Trey

As long as your have a fairly recent gpu your graphics card is NOT gonna be affecting performance heavily this weekend. This is coming from ANet directly.

People are used to certain specs achieving certain performance feats, and are ignoring the good folks telling them why it's different this time.

Vesper73

What res are your textures at? I've heard that the static bitmaps have the brush stroke effect and actually add a lot to the visual appeal.

Everything on highest settings... I'm just trying to imagine a group sitting around a table and agreeing with that direction. Nothing pulls you out of a world faster than a damn bitmap in the background.... It's 2012!!

Oh lets see, we have distance fog a stones throw away, let's make it worse by putting a crappy bitmap there!

nataku

Wait, a guy running it with a 4850 is doing great? That was my OLD card, before I upgraded to the GTX 560. That's hilarious.

Again, the game is CPU bound. Your GPU will do little to affect performance. It's the reason why changing in game graphic settings have little to no affect on performance.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
People are used to certain specs achieving certain performance feats, and are ignoring the good folks telling them why it's different this time.
Expected of course- there are hundreds of thousands of people giving this a shot. I'm just going to keep saying it as often as possible
KuGsj.gif

Vesper73

I really like the look of it.

....you like that shit?

I went ballistic on SWTOR for the same thing. What the hell. Even Wow used one level of detail for near ground and another lower level that you could see for a couple of kilometers. Seriously.

Disclaimer: This says nothing about the gameplay, merely a comment on the engine...... static terrain bitmap....sigh.......

Trey

Again, the game is CPU bound. Your GPU will do little to affect performance. It's the reason why changing in game graphic settings have little to no affect on performance.

This is the one thorn forseeable in Anet's marketing plan: people who don't bother to read.

For all those people with really expensive cards getting terrible performance, you may trade me your current PC for my C2D e8400 rig and you will get great performance in the beta.

Glad to know others have performance issues. Thought I was having problems until I realized I was getting the same frame rate under max settings and lowest settings.

Game wise, I love it for the most part. It's taking awhile to get used to how everything works after having played so much WoW off and on but since I already bought it I have no problem learning it. I'm not a huge fan of the personal story quests though. And I wish you were automatically put into the same "server" / overflow as party members. If you want to group up you should have the option to join the overflow to play together.

Amneisac

Glad to know others have performance issues. Thought I was having problems until I realized I was getting the same frame rate under max settings and lowest settings.

Game wise, I love it for the most part. It's taking awhile to get used to how everything works after having played so much WoW off and on but since I already bought it I have no problem learning it. I'm not a huge fan of the personal story quests though. And I wish you were automatically put into the same "server" / overflow as party members. If you want to group up you should have the option to join the overflow to play together.

So is it possible to group up at all if you're in different overflows?

Kapoios

Neo Member
sogood.gif

dat chain

Also, do those high-res screenshots also use the high-res textures? Because when you go to options it only goes up to medium but i the ones in those screenshots are medium-res.

edit: nevermind, apparently now i can use high textures, huh.

ksimm

Client downloaded, listening to awesome login menu music whilst trying to connect. Loving the beta so far, reminds me of Diablo 3 'Cannot connect'. :D

Heh, the music is too good for me to be bothered.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I'm not loving this so far :(

My gf and I are in a party but got sent to 2 different overflow servers. Is there a way to switch or port to where they are?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hmm so normal auto attack is a combo of sorts? I need to read up on what combo finishers and fields mean.
Two different combo things.

Skill chains: Some not all skills have follow-up skills if they connect, like your normal attack whatever it is

Combos (can be cross-profession): Initiator (field) + Finisher (Blast, Projectile, etc) = Combo effect

So I assume the normal trend of dumping the EU off has continued amongst MMO developers. Seems the only people having connection problems are those in the EU (and we can't access the forums to complain about it!).

OH WOE IS ME(u)!

So is it possible to group up at all if you're in different overflows?

I partied up with my friend. Our pictures were just a blacked out default party icon saying we were in a party. Once we were finally together our character pictures filled out the black pic and we could see each other in the world.

BrettWeir

I'm glad people are finally getting to try this out. It's frustrating as hell for me, not being able to be on the same server as my son.....

Hope they let people do something about the server transfer or choose to start from scratch.

Dusky

I'm glad people are finally getting to try this out. It's frustrating as hell for me, not being able to be on the same server as my son.....

Hope they let people do something about the server transfer or choose to start from scratch.

Try guesting?

Why is my client redownloading all files from scratch??

They posted a 'solution' about dragging the client files into a new folder and running as administrator but that did nothing

any solutions GAF?

I'm only getting an average of 35fps. I have an i5-2500k and a GTX 480, and graphics settings are not really affecting anything (except shadows).

Maybe there are chipset drivers I need to update or something.

zon

I'm only getting an average of 35fps. I have an i5-2500k and a GTX 480, and graphics settings are not really affecting anything (except shadows).

The current build is CPU based, graphics card has nothing, or very little, to do with performance.

Trey

v

It's all CPU based, graphics card does very little.

The current build is CPU based, graphics card has nothing, or very little, to do with performance.

Sure, I suppose, but I mean, I'm not exactly running a junk CPU here. I find it weird that a game being targeted at the masses would need an i7 or something to run well. Could that be optimizations?

Jiraiza

Wow, the human city is freaking HUGE. Oh man, this is too good. For now, I'll be playing a Human Guardian but I've been thinking Char Guardian too, decisions, decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom