• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

Fracas

#fuckonami
I played 3 player split screen earlier.

I'm pretty sure the reticle on certain weapons (AR, BR, and Magnum for sure, not completely certain on everything) doesn't scale. So I get to use weapons that are incredibly inaccurate with reticles that take up 1/3 of the screen. Had huge framerate problems as well.

Local play seems like an afterthought in this game. Not a big deal for me, but for players like Hydra and Zalinkrow, this really sucks.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Watched like 10 minutes of the Social Skirmish and I had to turn it off :/

Right around the weapon despawn part. You can't really have personal ordnance without the 12 second despawn timer. I think that surprisingly, the maps don't play out like team power weapons. I've come to accept the fact that if I die with a power weapon, I probably won't get it back. So, I'm just as careful with the weapon if not more so. I can see how it's annoying to people because we've been so used to the old way for so long but I don't get how it's such a big deal.

watership

It's weird playing Halo 4 with a bunch of friends and really enjoying it and coming onto gaf and reading about how absolutely horrible Halo 4 is. It's like a subspace bubble.

Right around the weapon despawn part. You can't really have personal ordnance without the 12 second despawn timer. I think that surprisingly, the maps don't play out like team power weapons. I've come to accept the fact that if I die with a power weapon, I probably won't get it back. So, I'm just as careful with the weapon if not more so. I can see how it's annoying to people because we've been so used to the old way for so long but I don't get how it's such a big deal.

personal ordinance isn't what we should be changing things to accomodate imo

Tashi

personal ordinance isn't what we should be changing things to accomodate imo

For some things no, but for this yes. The despawn timer is obviously an effect of the personal ordnance. They're not going to scrap a big new addition to Halo just to keep power weapons on the map for 30 more seconds

Redford

aka Cabbie

I'd prefer for it to distinguish between global and personal weapons, if that were feasible.

Ryaaan14

Banned
It's weird playing Halo 4 with a bunch of friends and really enjoying it and coming onto gaf and reading about how absolutely horrible Halo 4 is. It's like a subspace bubble.

Pretty much. I don't want to disrespect anyone but at times it almost seems like this entire thread is satire.

Pretty much. I don't want to disrespect anyone but at times it almost seems like this entire thread is satire.

I would love to see some 2,000 plus word posts about what people just love about the campaign, spartan ops and multiplayer. Like honestly, I want to read some. Anyone who truly likes the game please type out a well rounded post detailing it. I'd like to see the different perspective.

Tashi

I'd prefer for it to distinguish between global and personal weapons, if that were feasible.

I doubt that system is in place currently. Maybe there's a regular weapon drop vs power weapon but I'm not even sure if that exists either.

Ryaaan14

Banned
I would love to see some 2,000 plus word posts about what people just love about the campaign, spartan ops and multiplayer. Like honestly, I want to read some. Anyone who truly likes the game please type out a well rounded post detailing it. I'd like to see the different perspective.

Maybe sometime on my day off, but no one will give a shit after I spend like 20 minutes writing it. I'm not very well versed and my opinions are terribly unpopular here.

Maybe sometime on my day off, but no one will give a shit after I spend like 20 minutes writing it. I'm not very well versed and my opinions are terribly unpopular here.

I'd read it :)

I do want to read some long, detailed, well thought out positive posts from those who like the game. Get on it Ryaaaaaaaaaaaaan!

Redford

aka Cabbie
So far snipers, CTF and sometimes Oddball are the only lists that can get that competitive feel.. I hope Throwback is like that too.

VVV The FFA playlist on Monday.

Damn, that Council video is brutal.

Was just gonna say this lol.. Could've been presented better - overly sarcastic, very negative, but an interesting watch at least. That whale was pretty cute too ;]

When do the other Specializations launch? Debating on Wetwork or holding out for another one if they come out soon.

v Thanks Ken

Ken

Was just gonna say this lol.. Could've been presented better - overly sarcastic, very negative, but an interesting watch at least. That whale was pretty cute too ;]

When do the other Specializations launch? Debating on Wetwork or holding out for another one if they come out soon.

"Codes will be delivered to the email address associated with your gamertag by December 1," 343 Industries community manager Jessica Shea explained to a fan on Twitter.

This date is slightly off from the fine print that was included in the email announcing that everyone who played Halo 4 at launch would gain access to the Specializations.

"A download code will be sent to the email address associated with your Xbox LIVE account by November 30, 2012," the message read.

No kidding. I've been loving Halo 4 despite its quibbles.

I think a lot of the vocal frustration on here is a product of 343 being completely silent on their end. If they had a community manager who was dispensing with the details on their efforts at alleviating some issues, people wouldn't be so completely butthurt on the internet. Just imagine if they had a voice who said something along the lines of...

"We've been receiving feedback from the community since launch, and these are the areas we have planned to revisit before this year's end as a holiday gift: flinch, global ordnance despawning, Forge precision controls and lighting generation, JiP match-state thresholds and wait-to-populate, predictable ordnance drops and spawn timers, scoreboard navigation and muting, weapon, AA and package balance, and—finally—the Waypoint file share and search options support."

Something to that effect. Just knowing the wheels are turning on some of the big things. As it stands, it's frustrating to feel ignored and as if this game might never be the sexy bull it could.

FyreWulff

I doubt that system is in place currently. Maybe there's a regular weapon drop vs power weapon but I'm not even sure if that exists either.

Perhaps the old system still applies to regular on the ground weapons, but all the gametypes don't allow normal map-placed weapons to spawn.

Although it makes sense for both personal ordnance existing, and also the fact that if 16 people can call down weapons, you don't want them lingering around too long for performance reasons.

rakka

god damn was enjoying it at first but regicide is just another noobification of the game. I'm winning nearly all the matches I play on it but at times almost losing to someone who did way worse in terms of kills and deaths. where the hells a standard FFA playlist.

oh and Fuck the AR I'm almost considering using it now since 343 decided to make it so damn powerful. to whoever said in this thread DMR doesn't need skill, well, certainly requires more than the AR does.

Good games tonight err'ybody. JiP, party-splitting, broken gametypes, non-appearing lobbies, etc. aside, fun was had for the most part.

For the record, "Road Trip" is the absolute worst announcer recording in the game. We got one tonight for shits and giggles. He sounds simultaneously constipated and overly excited. "Smooth Moves", on the other hand, is pretty satisfying.

TheOddOne

grief-five-stages-300x221.jpg

ZalinKrow

Local play seems like an afterthought in this game. Not a big deal for me, but for players like Hydra and Zalinkrow, this really sucks.

It really is a pain. On maps like Haven and Adrift it's manageable. But Complex and Exile will cause the game to chug a looot. Even when I manage to out-shoot someone in it, the fact that the framerate is so slow just sucks all the fun out :/ I feel like we'll have to get a second xbox and stuff if we want to continue playing a lot. Or else just play seperately more often.

It's just so disappointing to have this be such a big issue :(

It really is a pain. On maps like Haven and Adrift it's manageable. But Complex and Exile will cause the game to chug a looot. Even when I manage to out-shoot someone in it, the fact that the framerate is so slow just sucks all the fun out :/ I feel like we'll have to get a second xbox and stuff if we want to continue playing a lot. Or else just play seperately more often.

It's just so disappointing to have this be such a big issue :(

That's what my brother and I did at the end of Halo 3's lifespan. We saw that we didn't really enjoyed playing splitscreen anymore, plus we played a lot of different games as well, which you couldn't splitscreen.

It worked out pretty well cause I was moving out of the house in 1,5 years and I'd need my own anyway. I can't imagine I would have been able to tolerate Halo Reach splitscreen for 2 years :p

aj1467

Just caught up with this thread. Feels like I'm playing a completely different game to you guys. Most fun I've had playing any game in years.

JB1981

The Lemon guy was so fucking annoying

The game has flaws, I wont argue against that.. but Im enjoying it a lot. No 2000 word posts from me though; I'd rather spend my free time playing the game rather than talking about it for now. Eventually though.

I will say that SP disappointed me though. It played better on my legendary solo run, but some parts feel so...lifeless. Like they went down a checklist of types of ;evels to put in the game. Prometheans need more variety, encounters need work, etc.

Missed Max Payne 3 but I was able to get LOTR War in the North, Dead Island and LA Noire for $30. Thanks!

For as bad as splitscreen is on larger maps, it is all sorts of fun on Haven. Solace was also too big for 2v2 lol. Krow and I won all our matches last night but 2nd and 3rd place had really close games.

There was one guy there who was meant to be really good at the game (going to some MLG event here I didn't even know existed) but he was gone for pints when I started the tourney.

Fun times though. Slayer Pro with Ordnance turned off.

nbraun80

I'd read it :)

I do want to read some long, detailed, well thought out positive posts from those who like the game. Get on it Ryaaaaaaaaaaaaan!
WARNING: long, positive OPINION incoming. This is not directed at any one person, just my opinions on the game. :)

Things I like, well first I'll start with Launch night, got home start campaign on legendary with three buddies. I was a great ride, I remember on the second level just before you get the warthog for the first time, we came over the ridge, and just stopped and stood there for a minute and said, 'wow' at how beautiful that scene was, Ive never done that in a game before. A few tough parts, like dealing with a lot of knights, but it was on the hardest difficulty so I didn't expect a cakewalk. I liked the storyline as well, just seeing and feeling cortana's emotion knowing that her time with chief may be coming to a close. I got a little choked up at a few parts like when she said, 'don't make a girl a promise you can't keep.' among other scenes. Obviously the cut-scenes where gorgeous, and amazing watching some of the facial movements. I thought the sound effects were great as well, everything sounded stronger and beefier. All-in-all just a great 7-8 hours with some buddies.

Now to Spartan Ops. I'm having a good time with these as well. It started out a little slow, but it's awesome getting new mission and great cut-scenes each week. It's really started to pick up with this 3rd episode, and I'm looking forward to the rest. I'm also doing this in a group of 3-4 people each time, and I guess I could see how people could find these less fun if they do them solo. Honestly, I'd much rather have something cool and new like this, then a monotonous horde/firefight/zombies mode, I've really been burnt out on those.

Now finally to multiplayer. Honestly I love it. I feels most like halo 3 to me and I've played thousands of games in H3 matchmaking. I tried Reach(and kept playing it off and on) and it never really sat well with me, between bad maps, bad AA, health bars, playing btb and being 1v8 and getting punished for leaving, etc I just couldn't have fun. H4 just feels so much like what I've known. AA's feel pretty balanced to me, I've seen people say camo and jetpack are OP, but I feel with camo you have a general idea where they are and can grenade them out or at least make them stand up and move, and most people with jetpack I just see get shot by multiple people as soon as they fly up.

Weapons and 'perks'. I actually like being able to pick my primary, because different levels call for different loadouts. Smaller maps I use an AR/BR combo, and larger I'll use DMR. The perks are cool, because I can kinda tailor things to my play style. I like grenades so until lvl 60 I used a 3rd grenade, and I liked getting more ammo from my ordinances so I had that on. I find none of the options to be game breaking in the least, but just small bonuses that help your playstyle. now to Flinch. I don't have a problem with it. I understand they have to do something to not make it like you're shooting a laser beam, and honestly I'd rather take a little bumpiness from enemy shots than be backed out of zoom like before. I don't get why some people say that the dmr is too powerful, and then turn around and say flinch should be removed, why to make it easier to kill with and in turn more powerful. I wouldn't have a problem with a DMR range decrease, but I also haven't had too much of a problem with it either.

Ordinance drops. I have fun with them, it's fun working towards something besides just a 'KILLING SPREE'. I understand the complaint about having too many power weapons in the game, and how someone can get a random good gun and turn the game and how that might be seen as 'unfair'. But I think it's not as big as a problem as people make it out to be. Sure Joe can get lucky and get a sniper, but she still has to know how to use the thing well, and if he's a crappy player you'll still be able to out duel him. I just don't think people camping rockets in previous games and knowing the spawn times is anymore 'fair' than this.

Spawning. I think the spawns are pretty good in this game. With sprinting and insta-respawn, I think this game could have been as much BS spawns as COD, but I haven't had too many spawns where I felt like I was screwed over. After playing BO2, this game's spawning system is a gift from god. I've seen complaints of 'if we push too far into their spawn, they'll spawn at our base'. ahh duh? That's a good system where if you infiltrate their spawn, they shouldn't have to spawn in front of you and get railed on. I'm sure spawn killing is fun, but I'm just as sure you'd be complaining more if you were on that side of the gun getting spawn killed.

Vehicles. It felt good getting back into a hog like in the H3 days. I have fun driving the vehicles, and can rack up some kills. I know it can be a lot more challenging and sometimes sucky to have people spawn with plasma pistols and stickies, but you just need to be a little more strategic with your driving and now just plow in. I have wheelman, so I'm sure that's helping me, but I've gotten a few killing sprees on ghosts, and got a guy a running riot on a gause hog, so you can get kills with them. Also I think the Mantis is a pretty good addition. It's good, but not overly powerful, and can be taken care of with some teamwork pretty quickly.

Melee, life, etc. Melee has that old H3 feeling and I'm loving it. I couldn't stand the health bar BS in reach, and with that being gone i'm using melee a lot more than in reach. Grenades I feel are pretty good, not too powerful that they're nukes, but good enough to weaken that shield.

Playlists and maps. I'm really liking some of the maps. Adrift, Exile, Longbow, vortex, rangnarock, and haven are all good maps. Of course there are some I don't like (looking at you meltdown), but overall some solid maps, and they feel leagues better than anything in reach. I understand and don't mind the streamlined playlists, people got way too spread out in like 20+ playlists, and it's good to actually have a good number of people in each. I do hope the keep adding more, but I'm having fun in BTB and SWAT.

JIP. I really like this feature. Like I said before, it was so aggravating having people leave in Reach and me being stuck 1v8, and I either have to get whopped or get punished for leaving a shitty situation. Is this system perfect in it's current state? Certainly not. I've been put in game 2v4 and never got more people, and been put in losing games, but I've also been put on winning teams, and had people join BTB games and we turned the game around. They'll work the kinks out and it'll get better.

I'll stop there. I'll just say I was honestly shocked to see such poor reactions from people on here, especially after me getting an H3 vibe from this game. Are there somethings that need fixing? definitely, but I haven't let those stop my fun. I don't know what it is, maybe I'm more accepting towards change, or better at adapting to change than some. Maybe I didn't expect perfection, and some people did and built it up to be something that could never reach their expectations in the first place. All I know is I've played Reach, and had I horrible time. I've played BO2, and got so pissed at that game, and will fight anyone that says H4 is just like COD now. I'm having a fun time killing kids with my warthog, AR, beat-down, rockets, etc. like in my H3 days and love every minute of it. :)

J10

Banned
I'm stuck at the second pylon on the level Forerunner on Legendary difficulty. If I get in a Banshee the Grunts shoot me down. While trying to deal with the grunts on the ground the Banshees bomb me. Please help.

I'm stuck at the second pylon on the level Forerunner on Legendary difficulty. If I get in a Banshee the Grunts shoot me down. While trying to deal with the grunts on the ground the Banshees bomb me. Please help.

I think I used a ghost to destroy all the things you have to and than I used it to get op to the tower. There, I killed all the Elites with carbines (Those are a pain as well) and I think I made a run for the portal.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Get in that first banshee and bomb the shit out of the elites in the tower. Try to take down the other 'shees too if possible. Then land, grab a ghost, and you should be fine.

Get into the Banshee, focuses on the two banshees in the air. (Get so high as fast as possible). Afterwards you can shoot down the cores with the Banshee bomb or with a good placed grenade in safe distance from all the enemies. That's what I did. Pretty easy.

Top Bottom