• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

Maybe not sexism, but she's a walking stereotype almost as bad as the cole train.
Kat was a well-written female character, she held her own in a squad of men without having to be insulting and obnoxious all the time.
Kat was just another one of the Spartans in the squad though, and she had her moments of aggression too, "I'll take that Six, [swipes the card out of Six's hand] watch your domain". Palmer is the senior officer, so I find her attitude excusable. In regards to never wearing a helmet, I haven't played anything past episode 2 of SpOps but as far a I know she's never been on the field yet, so she doesn't really have a reason to.

rakka

yeah I don't really care about the challenges as much as i did in reach. hard to keep track of them, too many, not mention same monthly challenge again?

and linking commendations to unlocks? ugh.

challenges and commendations both done wrong in 4.

Buddermilk

Neo Member
Anyone else complete the Monthly Challenge last night and not receive any XP? I even checked after winning my last match, and it said it was completed :-/

Omni

Anyone else complete the Monthly Challenge last night and not receive any XP? I even checked after winning my last match, and it said it was completed :-/

XP from challenges doesn't come up at the end of game. If it says you completed it, you got the credits.

I don't believe I received any either. Although I don't think commendation exp shows up in the post-game exp total. It may automatically be applied mid-game. Not sure. Weird.

IHaveIce

Banned
I don't believe I did tho, I was at SR55 before beginning the match of my 117th win, and still currently am. I definitely would have noticed if 17k XP were added.

Weird, you are already the second or third one who says this. Did you play much games? Maybe you hit the credit cap?

Buddermilk

Neo Member
Weird, you are already the second or third one who says this. Did you play much games? Maybe you hit the credit cap?

No, I came home from work knowing I only needed 4 more wins for the weekly. I played 6 matches before I accumulated the wins, and then wasn't awarded my XP. I wouldn't care but I worked like 16 hrs yesterday, and stayed up late getting the Challenge when I had to work at 4 AM today. I would b ok with being tired and feeling shitty all day if I had gotten my XP :p

Wait. Really?

Really?

343 has some 'splaining to do.

Nzs7.png

70 instead of 117.

blamite

So, we have more time, to complete an easier challenge, that's worth more XP?

The fuck? Feels like 343's already used up all their challenges already.

Petrichor

Watching this vid really makes me miss Halo 1.. Why Bungie? Why did you change the formula so much?? What was wrong with it? ;[

That list is horrible - what on earth are the pit and guardian doing on it? Hell - Haven and Solace are better maps.

My top ten would be something like (no particular order):

Midship (H2)
Lockout (H2)
Headlong (H2)
Relic (H2)
Zanzibar (H2)
Coagulation (H2)
Ivory Tower (H2)
Ascension (H2)
Waterworks (H2)
Haven (H4)

Striker

That list is horrible - what on earth are the pit and guardian doing on it? Hell - Haven and Solace are better maps.

Remove Relic, Ascension, and Haven, and put in Turf, Terminal, and Sanctuary.

Had to split myself to some, because that still leaves out Warlock and Beaver Creek.

Watching this vid really makes me miss Halo 1.. Why Bungie? Why did you change the formula so much?? What was wrong with it? ;[
It was already mentioned, but lulz at exile being on there. Perhaps without the DMR being so good at distance, and the plethora of vehicles and power weapons raining from the sky, it might actually be fun. As it stands, though, the map is so chaotic it's awful, and I love chaotic, just not that much. I think that I basically feel that way about all the halo 4 big team battle maps. There's just too much going on for any kind of honest competitive or strategic play.

Last Resort is a poor man's Zanibar. Also, while Midship isn't my personal favorite map, it should have been on the list.

Midship (H2)
Lockout (H2)
Headlong (H2)
Relic (H2)
Zanzibar (H2)
Coagulation (H2)
Ivory Tower (H2)
Ascension (H2)
Waterworks (H2)
Haven (H4)
My favs from previous halo games.
Halo CE: Damnation, Hang'em High, Wizard, Prisoner, Boarding Action, Chill'out, Longest, and Derelict.
Halo 2: Ivory Tower, Lockout, Headlong, Colossus, Warlock, Sanctuary and Zanzibar.
Halo 3: Standoff, The Pit, Construct, Citadel, Rat's Nest, and Narrows.
Halo 4 (no IS): Haven, Abandon, Solace, and Meltdown

You're assuming the Halo 1 multiplayer maps were made with any sort of formula other than "turn to page 56 in this How to 3DS Max in 24 Hours book".

The gameplay formula*

I actually think Halo 2 had the best maps. Maybe if Halo 1 had DLC though..

The gameplay formula was entirely based around campaign :p

Keep old maps in the past, take the ideas into the future. Direct remakes should only ever be free DLC.

lol nice, I was just reminiscing about how fluid/unique the game felt compared to Halo 2+ and that IGN vid reminded me of that. For the maps though, I could really see a lot of past Halo maps work with this sandbox that may not have worked as well in previous games.

Take Standoff for example. If you take the equivalent of Halo 3's settings for Standoff (Chain Gunner Hog, no DMR, no AA's, Classic Settings etc.) and put them in Halo 4 the map would play beautifully. In Halo 3 that map was dominated by either the Hog or the Laser because the BR was too inconsistent at medium-long range

FyreWulff

The gameplay formula*

I actually think Halo 2 had the best maps. Maybe if Halo 1 had DLC though..

The gameplay formula was entirely based around campaign :p

The previous games had nice maps but I always prefer the idea of the map to be taken forward but not the map itself, so it works in the new game. Valhalla was a progression off Blood Gulch and Coagulation, then we had Tempest that tried to fix Valhallas problems (coming up a bit short on the base backs to prevent camping), but now Valhalla's design is exposed by giving everyone a 3x scope weapon off spawn. And they didn't even attempt nor allow for alternate "fixed" version ala Anniversary's maps, where there could have been a tweaked version and then the ability to go classic via Forge.

Keep old maps in the past, take the ideas into the future. Direct remakes should only ever be free DLC.

There's a story in Spartan Ops?

Apparently.
There is more, and better realized storytelling in Spartan Ops than in the campaign, by far. We've had, what, 20 minutes of CGI scenes, that all tie directly together, with some minor bits and pieces here and there to set up or close out objectives in-mission. Compare that to the campaign where not much is explained, and the CG bits don't connect in either space or in time, with in-mission objectives that do little to advance the story.

Buddermilk

Neo Member
There is more, and better realized storytelling in Spartan Ops than in the campaign, by far. We've had, what, 20 minutes of CGI scenes, that all tie directly together, with some minor bits and pieces here and there to set up or close out objectives in-mission. Compare that to the campaign where not much is explained, and the CG bits don't connect in either space or in time, with in-mission objectives that do little to advance the story.

+1

Halo 4 was supposed to be the return of Chief. Instead he gets shit on in the campaign, and all the real narrative is found in SpOps.

GhaleonEB

I started Spartan Ops Episode 3 last night. And the CG intros are indeed very well done, even if I think Palmer and the portrayal of the Spartan IV's cheapens the fiction. The story telling in-game, during missions, is pretty bad, though, especially compared to what the Campaign pulls off. It feels like the entire story could be told through the CG cut scenes, because nothing is really progressing during the missions themselves. They almost feel developed separately; I couldn't figure out what I was doing in mission 1 that had anything to do with the intro.

Omni

Is it bad that I didn't realise that the Spartans in the CGI and Crimson team were two different groups until the end of the second week? :s

343i could've been a little clearer on that. I was confused as fuck

Booties

Banned
I started Spartan Ops Episode 3 last night. And the CG intros are indeed very well done, even if I think Palmer and the portrayal of the Spartan IV's cheapens the fiction. The story telling in-game, during missions, is pretty bad, though, especially compared to what the Campaign pulls off. It feels like the entire story could be told through the CG cut scenes, because nothing is really progressing during the missions themselves. They almost feel developed separately; I couldn't figure out what I was doing in mission 1 that had anything to do with the intro.

I only watched the cut scenes and didn't notice any gaps in the story. They probably were created separately as they are more focused on the actual mission* and not the story. The fact that they even have a mission designer kinda proves the point. What is David Ellis excited about? The story or how the combat flows*

*read, how many enemies to kill before I can press a switch.

Disagreed muchly with that top 10.

Off the top of my head, in no particular order:

Haven
Valhalla
Lockout
The Pit
Blood Gulch
Midship
Sandtrap
Terminal
Beaver Creek
Hang Em High

Blissful

Neo Member
Join in progress has to be the worst implementation ever to be brought forth in Halo. 90% of my losses are because I join games that are fucking 5 kills from being over and I have to be the man to bring back a team with 4 kills. I hate you 343

Akai__

+1

Halo 4 was supposed to be the return of Chief. Instead he gets shit on in the campaign, and all the real narrative is found in SpOps.

I'm sure 343i has a reason, why Master Chief was treated this way in campaign. Maybe this is the way, the military/UNSC treats missed soldiers/Spartans. I don't know...

Halo 4 spoiler:
My favourite part about Master Chief was, when he declined Del Rio's order. Del Rio was so helpless in this situation and he deserved it.

Story related question (not really a spoiler, but just in case):
What happened to Del Rio?

Edit:
Join in progress has to be the worst implementation ever to be brought forth in Halo. 90% of my losses are because I join games that are fucking 5 kills from being over and I have to be the man to bring back a team with 4 kills. I hate you 343

You should use the trick, where you wouldn't join a game in progress, if it bothers you too much. I know, it can be very frustrating.

Halo 4 spoiler:
My favourite part about Master Chief was, when he declined Del Rio's order. Del Rio was so helpless in this situation and he deserved it.

Story related question (not really a spoiler, but just in case):
What happened to Del Rio?

Lost his job after they found out he didn't give the chief a hand.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Disagreed muchly with that top 10.

Off the top of my head, in no particular order:

Haven
Valhalla
Lockout
The Pit
Blood Gulch
Midship
Sandtrap
Terminal
Beaver Creek
Hang Em High

List time? List time

In no order besides Midship being the greatest ever.

Midship
Lockout
The Pit
Narrows
Beaver Creek
Prisoner
Warlock
Sanctuary
Construct
And if you put a gun to my head to pick a 10th, MLG Zealot

So game night was last night. Played Halo 4. About an hour into the night, three of the four guys playing with me - the ones I mentioned earlier, asking what tips to give them so they'll like the game, and life-long Halo fans and big Reach players - say 'fuck it, this game is no fun' because of their K/Ds and jump over to...

...MW3.

For the rest of the night.

WTF.

Top Bottom