• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

House Intel Panel hearing on Russian involvement (3/20, 10am ET, livestream)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Trump is impeached for treason, why would his choices in government stand? I feel like everyone he bought in should be fired, and every Eo/Bill he signed thrown out. Rationally, you'd think that's how it'd work.

Reading this thread, I feel like people need to keep expectations in check.

What if the investigation finds nothing to impeach Trump?
Even if Trump is impeached, how does Pence becoming President improve anything?
Yes, Pence will really suck for social issues and domestic issues.

But internationally, he would restore the Republican Party back onto the historic mainstream of keeping the Western alliances strong.

Trump is an aberration and conspiracy theorist pretending to be ''anti-globalization'' in the guise of weakening the Western alliances at the benefit of the Mafia State of Putin's Russia

Russia is not our friends.

The best case scenario short of impeachment is Democratic landslide election victories in 2018 and 2020.

(If Notorius RBG can hang on that long, we can also preserve a somewhat balanced SCOTUS)

KHarvey16

What said today contradicted Clapper's statements?

Honest question, I couldn't watch the conference and GAF was in chat-room mode / reaction mode not information mode lol.

They clarified that Clapper was talking about a specific report unrelated to any ongoing investigation.

Nafai1123

Banned
This hearing was proof that we desperately need a independent committee. Republicans just revealed their hand that they will do literally anything to deflect and obfuscate this investigation and have absolutely no interest in following the evidence wherever it leads them.

Steel

Banned

Honest question, I couldn't watch the conference and GAF was in chat-room mode / reaction mode not information mode lol.

What was actually said is that Clapper was talking about the public report and had no part or knowledge in the FBI's investigation, so Clapper is right in that the report says nothing about Trump-Russian connections, but also that the report had nothing to do with Trump-Russian connections.

rambis

Banned

Comey directled stated that this has nothing to do with their investigation.

Mahonay

Banned
This hearing was proof that we desperately need a independent committee. Republicans just revealed their hand that they will do literally anything to deflect and obfuscate this investigation and have absolutely no interest in following the evidence wherever it leads them.
Yup.

Although we're still a long way off fro this scenario, don't underestimate the turmoil impeaching a president under a cloud of treason would do to that party. Even if Pence manages to avoid impeachment in the event Trump doesn't, he's going to be a far weaker president of a far more vulnerable party.

There's no avoiding a Republican presidency until Jan 20, 2021, that's true. But getting Trump impeached would be quite a victory if you're anti-Trump and anti-GOP.

Also, for what it's worth, I'm a little less nervous about the idea of Pence having nuclear launch codes.

SerTapTap

Pence becoming president improves things by removing Trump, Bannon and Miller. That is an unquestionably better scenario for the country.

Pence instantly saves millions of dollars a year going to protecting Trump's horrible wife and mar a largo vacations and takes countless business interests out of the picture. Even if Pence were completely identical to Trump policy-wise it'd be a huuuuuuuuuuge win.

Surfinn

Isn't this completely dependent on republicans? Whether or not theirs gunna be an independent committee?

jstripes

Banned
This is what I think some of the investigators are counting on. You fire up a flare and let the rats scurry, thus leading you to further evidence.

I said as much earlier in the thread. It's totally calculated.

Now that it's been confirmed that an investigation is well under way, and has been for a while, people without the ability to keep a cool and level head are going to panic and potentially slip up. The IC already has their eyes on these people.

If Trump is impeached for treason, why would his choices in government stand? I feel like everyone he bought in should be fired, and every Eo/Bill he signed thrown out. Rationally, you'd think that's how it'd work.

typically, there'd be the assumption that after an impeachment and conviction, the replacement president would put in some due diligence on reviewing his predecessor's work and fixing what needs fixed. EOs could be rescinded. Appointments could be changed (though IDK if there's minimum appointment lengths for anything?). I don't think we've ever thought there'd be a need to mandate this kind of review process before.

unfortunately, many of the things that make the current administration a danger to humanity are basic components of the republican platform. I doubt Mattis and the military will be able to convince the party to reverse its stance on profiteering over the environment.

anyone with any russia-stink on them would probably get kicked to the curb. They'd probably replace carson with someone with actual experience relevant to HUD. If some EOs were in limbo in courts, the administration might abandon the least-popular among them.

zulux21

Pence instantly saves millions of dollars a year going to protecting Trump's horrible wife and mar a largo vacations and takes countless business interests out of the picture. Even if Pence were completely identical to Trump policy-wise it'd be a huuuuuuuuuuge win.

he also likely wouldn't build a wall.

though he would likely attack the LGBT community more.

Didn't get to watch any of this. Think I generally understand the content. But I'm curious: how was the tone? Trying to figure out if this is going to lead to anything or if it's more perfunctory to set up a "nothing to see here, guys."

Mahonay

Banned
Jesus. That was amazing.
Watching that Heck speech live I felt like one of the volunteer fighter pilots in Independence Day during President Bill Pullman's battle rally speech.

giphy.gif

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Didn't get to watch any of this. Think I generally understand the content. But I'm curious: how was the tone? Trying to figure out if this is going to lead to anything or if it's more perfunctory to set up a "nothing to see here, guys."

Comey: The country is in real, present and ongoing danger from these ties and this smoke is coming from a fire. The investigation has turned up serious shit that is happening right this second and endangers our democracy.

GOP: But leaks, you guys have leaks therefore any investigation you do is faulty. Leaks. Did I say leaks? Leaks.

KoopaTheCasual

It means bye bye Bannon, Miller, (and hopefully/optimistically) Sessions. It also is going to hang over the GOP in a massive way at least for the short term which is the 2018 mid-terms (crucial for killing gerrymandering) as well as the 2020 elections.

It won't stick, and people will forget come next election cycle in 2022-2024, but it will kill any good will the GOP has for the near future.

Ponn

Banned
Isn't this completely dependent on republicans? Whether or not theirs gunna be an independent committee?

Depends on how far they are willing to sink their own party over this. They have an opportunity to throw Trump under the bus, look like they did the right thing and have some integrity and still have Pence in office and still have majority control for 4 years. You would think it would be a win-win, unless Trump has shit on the GOP that he can go scorched earth with.

Maxim726X

What was actually said is that Clapper was talking about the public report and had no part or knowledge in the FBI's investigation, so Clapper is right in that the report says nothing about Trump-Russian connections, but also that the report had nothing to do with Trump-Russian connections.

Huh. I guess I missed that part...

That's actually pretty big news, because when Clapper came out and said that he knew of no meaningful information found on a potential link to Russia, I thought all was for naught.

Apparently not the case.

Depends on how far they are willing to sink their own party over this. They have an opportunity to throw Trump under the bus, look like they did the right thing and have some integrity and still have Pence in office and still have majority control for 4 years. You would think it would be a win-win, unless Trump has shit on the GOP that he can go scorched earth with.

I'm sure a lot of them are willing to throw Trump under the bus if that's all it would be, but it's looking more and more like the majority of the damn GOP leadership has connections to Russian businesses/Putin and they're worried that the investigation will lead to their dirty laundry coming out as well.

Is the Senate hearing private? Or is it just that the conclusions of their investigations are private and can only be disclosed with the President's permission?

pigeon

Banned

Traditionally accidental nuclear war has been considered a risk to be avoided

Mahonay

Banned
For the love of God, McCain. If there was ever a "last call" to man-up, it would be now. Do the right thing, and actually stop tripping over yourself to tow the party line.
Seriously. Like this is it. This the spot where he can show people that he still maybe has a shred of integrity tucked away, after he just bent over for Trump even after he was attacked personally.

Zolo

I'm sure a lot of them are willing to throw Trump under the bus if that's all it would be, but it's looking more and more like the majority of the damn GOP leadership has connections to Russian businesses/Putin and they're worried that the investigation will lead to their dirty laundry coming out as well.

Yeah. The investigation's turned out to be bigger than most people thought (which was already huge) since it's now looking like it's not just the Trump administration that's compromised, but a decent number of Republicans (including leaders).

Seriously. Like this is it. This the spot where he can show people that he still maybe has a shred of integrity tucked away, after he just bent over for Trump even after he was attacked personally.

McCain is not up for re-election and is 80, he has nothing to lose. For God's sake John, show some spine!

McCain is not up for re-election and is 80, he has nothing to lose. For God's sake John, show some spine!

It's not that simple, he still needs to have backup on this. If he's the only one out there on the GOP side it can backfire and turn him into a out cast with them. Not trying to defend him, if he wants to come out against Trump, he needs to finally back it up with action. I'm just saying it's more complicated than just reelection, he still needs to be able to work with these people on a day to day basis.

3rdman

For the love of God, McCain. If there was ever a "last call" to man-up, it would be now. Do the right thing, and actually stop tripping over yourself to tow the party line.

I have no faith left in that man...he sold his soul in 2008 and has been a shell of himself since.

Jobbs

Banned

He's only 80? He looks 100

And I think people are getting a bit ahead of themselves... I can't even imagine a scenario where republicans impeach Trump, and I can imagine a lot

- GOP base won't believe Trump is guilty no matter what the evidence is because they live in their own reality and everything they don't like is fake
- GOP is afraid of their base
- that's all there is

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom