• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyper Light Drifter [Kickstarter = Funded] Wii-U Stretch at 550K, Ends Oct 12

kidko

WOW! So much as happened since I left my computer last night! $100K stretch goal knocked out, BOOM. So glad we'll see a co-op feature. That's amazingly good frosting on this tasty cake of a game.

I would love a copy for my Vita but would probably only play it if I could transfer my save over to it somehow. Maaaaan that would be tite.

Updated the stretch goals image. I will refrain from adding all the new art and vids and stuff as people can easily find that on the KS page... plus it goes so fast, I need to get back to work, etc...

jaosobno

This is the very first Kickstarter I ever backed. The game looks absolutely incredible and the music from the trailer...Dear god, the music from the trailer is just mind blowing!

Hoping to get it on PS4!

iCmwuNBWKnMqk.jpg

reminds me of Evangelion going berserk

tumblr_m9508l6Y6H1rw7n3jo1_500.gif

Ibuki

Banned
The visuals remind me of Radio the Universe, which I also backed. I already backed this at the early bird price, such a great looking game. I am curious how the competitive mode will end up?

Vire

Love love the visuals and main character design. Will be keeping an eye on this one for sure.

Hope it comes to PS4!

Kinda OT, but this isn't my first kickstarter/crowdfunding donation, but what is your first kickstarter/crowdfunding donation?

For me was Star Citizen.

Naito

Kinda OT, but this isn't my first kickstarter/crowdfunding donation, but what is your first kickstarter/crowdfunding donation?

1. Project Eternity
2. Torment: Tides of Numenera
3. Divinity: Original Sin
4. Stonehearth
5. Double Fine's MASSIVE CHALICE
6. Satellite Reign
7. LIONESS
8. Project Phoenix
9. Mighty No. 9
10. Hyper Light Drifter

Lovely coincidence with Mighty No. 9 being my ninth Kickstarter :)
All these Kickstarter campaigns are ruining my finances..!

Hope it comes to PS4!

I suppose it is pretty safe to expect all current stretch goals to be met. Even though it has slowed down a bit, it should reach $220k.

1. Project Eternity
2. Torment: Tides of Numenera
3. Divinity: Original Sin
4. Stonehearth
5. Double Fine's MASSIVE CHALICE
6. Satellite Reign
7. LIONESS
8. Project Phoenix
9. Mighty No. 9
10. Hyper Light Drifter

Lovely coincidence with Mighty No. 9 being my ninth Kickstarter :)
All these Kickstarter campaigns are ruining my finances..!

I suppose it is pretty safe to expect all current stretch goals to be met. Even though it has slowed down a bit, it should reach $220k.

My friend actually paid for a version of Original Sin so that he will give me his extra copy.

Naito

My friend actually paid for a version of Original Sin so that he will give me his extra copy.

Well makes sense, extra copies are for gaming buddies for maximum enjoyment!

Regarding this topic, I have to say that the coop mode for Hyper Light Drifter doesn't excite me as much as I would like to:
perhaps I still mainly envision this title as a single-player experience (at least, with comparing this to a A Link to the Past like experience).
Not saying it isn't a welcome feature!

Shocked Wasteland 2 isn't among them.

Well, in my defence I have to say that I wasn't into backing Kickstarter projects when Wasteland 2 was around;
it is also one of the projects that I regretted to have missed :(

Then Torment: Tides of Numenera came and I pledged a tier that includes it.

kidko

Well make sense, extra copies are for gaming buddies for maximum enjoyment!

Regarding this topic, I have to say that the coop mode for Hyper Light Drifter doesn't excite me as much as I would like to:
perhaps I still mainly envision this title as a single-player experience (at least, with comparing this to a A Link to the Past like experience).
Not saying it isn't a welcome feature!

I see it as a new game+ type of experience personally. I'll wait until I get through it once, then play around with some co-op.

1. Wasteland 2 - my first donation and will be my first KS game to release. Hoping this lives up to the hype.
2. Auditorium 2: Duet - A promising idea but the delays and lack of regular communication is a bit unnerving. They have been picking up development lately, though, so we'll see.
3. A Giant Ball Pit in an Abandoned House, Naturally - got shot down by local officials for stupid political reasons.
4. Project Eternity - this and Torment are my two most anticipated projects (and are both going to take forever to come out :( )
5. Radio the Universe - my first really underground/indie donation. Communication has been pretty regular and I like the guy's sense of humor.
6. Torment: Tides of Numenara - the most funded game software Kickstarter to date (Star Citizen technically has more but earned most of it outside of KS). Impressions from WL2 are gonna be crucial in predicting how up to task InExile are to create these kinds of CRPGs.
7. Shovel Knight - kind of backed on a lark, but looks fun enough. Actually seems superceded a bit by the recent Might No. 9, but I'm sure it'll be worth it on its own merits anyway.
8. Armikrog. - loved Neverhood, loved Earthworm Jim, this was a no-brainer.
9. Mighty No. 9 - sharing in the frustrations of Mega Man fans everywhere at the franchise's neglect, this KS is the greatest middle finger the fas could possbly give to Capcom, regardless of what Inafune says.
10. Octopus City Blues - a quirky VGA-styled non-linear adventure game. I just made a thread here, highly recommend any old/new school adventure gamers to check it out.
11. Hyper Light Drifter - it's almost a little too retro pandering-y (TBF, though I think it's more bordering on my own personal burnout on pixel-art KS's than with HLD itself), but it looks so gosh darned good I just had to.

Naito

With all these intriguing Kickstarter projects, 2014-2015 will be a very hectic and crowded timeframe to enjoy games.

I could safely guess that Project Eternity and Torment: Tides of Numenera are enough to satisfy the cRPG's hunger,
but then it's not like you can ignore titles like The Witcher 3: WIld Hunt and other AAA productions that will come.

It's like an RPG storm will hit in 1-1.5 year and you will have to prepare yourself.

wilflare

I really do hope all these KS deliver.
I have missed a number of good ones as well :(

(and it's scary how much they get you to spend without you realizing)

and Hyper Light Drifter smashes through another stretch goal :D

Jac_Solar

The stretch goals mention extra levels, a larger world - so, how many levels were there originally supposed to be, and how big was the world supposed to be?

Naito

The stretch goals mention extra levels, a larger world - so, how many levels were there originally supposed to be, and how big was the world supposed to be?

That's not detailed. More refinement is also vague and may look like a not so exiciting goal.
You'll have to trust the developer that with these funds he'll deliver a larger, and hopefully also a better, gameworld.

is it slowing down?
Aye, but it's standard procedure. Personally I also believe that this new batch of stretch goals ($120k-$160k-$180k-$220k)
isn't as much interesting as the original one – the only prominent goal seems to be the PS4/VITA port.

Jac_Solar

That's not detailed. More refinement is also vague and may look like a not so exiciting goal.
You'll have to trust the developer that with these funds he'll deliver a larger, and hopefully also a better, gameworld.

Aye, but it's standard procedure. Personally I also believe that this new batch of stretch goals ($120k-$160k-$180k-$220k)
isn't as much interesting as the original one – the only prominent goal seems to be the PS4/VITA port.

So he might make the same amount of levels he was planning to do, and make the world the same size. Saying that we'll get more levels or a bigger world is pointless if he hasn't stated the amount or size beforehand - might as well just say that he'll make a bigger game.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Backed.

This KS is straight up crushing right now and the game concept is fucking awesome + godlike looking. The addition of the PS4/Vita versions sealed the deal.

NotSelf

Beautiful game very fez inspired backing when I have some loot.

So far.

1.Mighty No. 9
2.River City Ransom: Underground
3.Hyper Light Drifter

catabarez

So he might make the same amount of levels he was planning to do, and make the world the same size. Saying that we'll get more levels or a bigger world is pointless if he hasn't stated the amount or size beforehand - might as well just say that he'll make a bigger game.

Who's to say he'll even get another person to work on it? Might just pocket the extra change.

Come on.

Gbraga

For me was Star Citizen.

1) Shovel Knight
2) Among the Sleep
3) The Realm
4) A Hat in Time
5) LIONESS
6) Shadow of the Eternals
7) Candle
8) Ghost Song (had to cancel because I'm an idiot and didn't save enough credit for it, I was the very first backer :( )
9) U55 - END OF THE LINE
10) Shantae: Half-Genie Hero
11) Hyper Light Drifter

it's almost a little too retro pandering-y (TBF, though I think it's more bordering on my own personal burnout on pixel-art KS's than with HLD itself), but it looks so gosh darned good I just had to.

Unlike most of the pixel-art games that have hit recently, though, this game has a very unique (and not particularly retro) visual style.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Mother help me... why does this look like the most visually interesting videogame of all time?

Hesemonni

Banned
Mother help me... why does this look like the most visually interesting videogame of all time?
The animation needs to be more fluid, but besides that I have pretty much sure complaints about how the game looks. The animation's bound to be fixed after hiring an extra animator via stretch goal.

Ryu

The visuals remind me of Radio the Universe, which I also backed. I already backed this at the early bird price, such a great looking game. I am curious how the competitive mode will end up?

OT, but I didn't back that one and the updates are for backers only. How is that game coming along?

Verelios

I seriously can't believe how much money I'm sinking into Kickstarter.

Mighty 9
Phoenix
Shantae
And now Hyper Light Drifter

You're a bad influence GAF.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Kickstarter is just brilliant. I daresay it's one of the best things to happen to gaming in a long time.

I don't care what people say about scammers, or projects over-promising and under-delivering, or pitches sometimes just being straight-up laughable shit... Kickstarter over the past year and a half has made videogames really exciting for me again. I'm excited for Broken Age, I'm excited for Wasteland 2, I'm excited for Armikrog, I'm excited for Mighty No. 9, and now I'm eagerly anticipating this potential little gem. And evidently first parties feel the same way, considering the number of Kickstarter game projects being courted early on by Nintendo and Sony especially.

I'm wondering if Mighty No. 9 will open things up even more for Japanese developers to use it. We could be getting spiritual sequels to Sparkster and Gunstar Heroes pitched for our enjoyment this time next year.

Excitiiiiing!

Top Bottom