• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth1 |OT| PS Vita Finally Joins the Moe Moe Console Wars

baekshi

Banned
iQC3mRmdJtX0w.png

iNNYqL26wpNgt.png

Title: Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth1
Platform: PlayStation®Vita
Genre: JRPG
Release Date: 8/26/2014 (NA), 8/27/2014 (EU)
Release method: Retail/PSN (North America) PSN Only (EU)
Player: 1

ipBmA0VeXPPmH.png

A world protected by four goddesses, known as CPUs.
These four CPUs are locked in a conflict with one another for world domination.
Later, this battle would come to be known as the Console War.
The land where humans reside has been overwhelmed by monsters released
by someone known as Arfoire.

During the Console War, one of the goddesses—Neptune—was defeated by the other three,
and was exiled from Celestia to the lower realm.

It is there that Neptune meets IF and Compa.
Under the guidance of Histoire, she begins her journey to explore
the four lands of Gamindustri...​
ibzUcXM2deSB6A.png

iTRnka6EvGFzc.png

iRZ21SNcY3U6I.png

iI7zGxXWcQVK.png
iRhUQvlIzIiHY.png

ibuCf9NAjPAJ43.png

i8aLbbTz4Qsie.png

Special thanks to suppadoopa for screenshots,Phoenixus for half the title

SerTapTap

Woah dat Marvelous--are the franchise characters DLC in this one or included base game? Or are they not playable? I know you had to buy Cave and Falcom in Mk2.

On a scale of 1 to 10, how much will I regret ordering this

If you enjoy turn based combat and have a sense of humor they're pretty fun

Percy

Banned
Wait, this doesn't get a physical release in EU even though that idol sim garbage spin off did? lol!

SerTapTap

So uh, is this a a decent to good JRPG?

If a JRPG to you is combat style, lots of dialog (mostly humorous in nature) and character interactions, yeah it's pretty decent.

If JRPG is teh epix storyline, probably not. If you can't appreciate the humor, the only reason to get it is the combat.

So how unbelievable is the fan service in this game?

It's rated Teen. And significantly less so than Senran Kagura (granted that's also a Teen). It's really pretty minor outside of some awkward scenes, at least if it's anything like Mk2 or Victory, and of course the CPU forms.

Really? What happened to NIS?

NISA is still handling some limited edititions so they seem to be on good terms, but IF has an international branch now and has been using it.

Ibuki

Banned
Stay up late and pay 60 bucks for the LE or just wait until Wednesday and pick it up for 30 or so for the regular copy. I can't decide!

Ken

If a JRPG to you is combat style, lots of dialog (mostly humorous in nature) and character interactions, yeah it's pretty decent.

If JRPG is teh epix storyline, probably not. If you can't appreciate the humor, the only reason to get it is the combat.

Does it pick up quickly?

So uh, is this a a decent to good JRPG?

Fun references and the story isn't too bad.

Thankfully they are using the Victory's battle system so it isn't trash like in the original game's.

I imagine the shares system is still in though, so that's a horror in itself.

It's rated Teen. And significantly less so than Senran Kagura (granted that's also a Teen). It's really pretty minor outside of some awkward scenes, at least if it's anything like Mk2 or Victory, and of course the CPU forms..

I suppose that's what I compare all potential fan service in games to be...boobs aren't going anywhere but the bouncing, mind of their own, TRIPLEDDDDDDDDXD don't need to be everywhere.

Volcynika

Is this on sale at midnight to prevent minors from purchasing it

No. They're selling it via their (IF's) store on Amazon Marketplace, and apparently there is a restriction on sellers where they can't offer a pre-order option. So no selling till the release date, aka midnight PDT.

SerTapTap

Does it pick up quickly?

Not sure--Victory picked up quickly, and this is a remake of the first game bringing the lessons they've learned since Victory. Iv'e only played the second and third games though, since I heard the non-rebirth version of the first game had bad combat (most of the reason it was remade).

I suppose that's what I compare all potential fan service in games to be...boobs aren't going anywhere but the bouncing, mind of their own, TRIPLEDDDDDDDDXD don't need to be everywhere.

Like half the characters are flat until CPU form anyway--it's actually a running joke between Blanc and Vert. If you can bear to look at the CPU forms (some CPU parts are more revealing than others) you can play the game IMO--jiggle isn't very significant or even noticable mid-combat, other than the obligatory couple moves with Suspicious Camera Angles (mostly on Vert).

Volcynika

since I heard the non-rebirth version of the first game had bad combat (most of the reason it was remade)

The mechanics of the first game were awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwfullllllllllll. I couldn't finish it. Everyone that stuck with it said the script was really one of the series best, but wow that gameplay. Glad they're using Victory's systems now.

The mechanics of the first game were awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwfullllllllllll. I couldn't finish it. Everyone that stuck with it said the script was really one of the series best, but wow that gameplay. Glad they're using Victory's systems now.

What was so bad about the original battle system?

SerTapTap

Yeah I'll probably buy the first PS3 game just for collection purposes, heard awful things. Glad this is coming out so I can enjoy it more. Amazing how much the series has grown in 4 years. Seems the combat's gone from totally awful in 1 to pretty good with significant flaws in mk2 to quite fun in Victory

Volcynika

Just lots of dumb things, I can't remember too much, should be able to find if you do a search around here and there. One of them I think was you couldn't even heal yourself outside of battle. The shares system was so confusing and getting those to get specific endings was just a hassle. I'm not sure if they've changed the shares system though, but hopefully. Heard the load times are much better too.

It was slow, boring and at the same time really easy.

The item usage system was pretty confusing from the get go (healing being made a % instead of the normal way) though I did like it was customizable during battle.

The dungeons were all the same looking and boring.

And basically, your main character learned a skill at level 20 or so that breaks the battle system into tiny little pieces, lol

SerTapTap

Just lots of dumb things, I can't remember too much, should be able to find if you do a search around here and there. One of them I think was you couldn't even heal yourself outside of battle. The shares system was so confusing and getting those to get specific endings was just a hassle. I'm not sure if they've changed the shares system though, but hopefully. Heard the load times are much better too.

Oh god the shares in Mk2 drove me nuts--not too bad if you know exactly what you're doing, but nerve-wracking for a first playthrough. I'd personally recommend just ignoring it if it's still a big factor, it was easy enough to replay/load an earlier save and screw with stuff in Mk2 and it had like a butt ton of endings.

So tempted to buy this. How are the waifus?

Must not waifu war. Must not be one of Them. But I rather like some of the characters.

Top Bottom