• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I was told to 'kill myself with a gun' tonight while playing Rocket League

accx

I bet you did it too, didn't you OP, you absolute madman

But seriously, experiences similar to yours are commonplace and you shouldn't let them get you down. I know that's sad and shouldn't happen but it does and that's the reality of the Internet.

Yea it is sad and it is still happening. Hopefully it'll change once everyone starts condemning it instead of accepting it. I mean, obviously you can't have 100% tolerant people in any situation (statistics 101), but we could at least aim for it.

Agreed.

No one should ever accept being insulted, wherever it take place - real life, virtual life, no matters. It is just called lack of culture.

It's called being a borderline psychopath (in the real sense, not what media's talking about).

yeah, like i'm gonna "deal with it" because some guy on the gaf who I never met is telling me to and finds it hilarious

you do you. but i'm never gonna be okay with this shit
Keep fighting the good fight. I don't have the energy or care to report idiots in MP games but if you do all the more power to you.

It takes an incredible amount of mental gymnastics to believe that being told to kill yourself for no reason does not register as 'actual' bullying.

Bullying has 3 core elements:

1. intentional malicious actions
2. perceived imbalance of power
3. actions repeated over time

What you've described is rude, annoying etc, but not bullying.

Been getting crazy remarks, sometimes racist, thrown at me since Halo 2. I used to report every single incident, but I didn't really know if anything was being done or not.

accx

Bullying has 3 core elements:

1. intentional malicious actions
2. perceived imbalance of power
3. actions repeated over time

What you've described is rude, annoying etc, but not bullying.

"One essential prerequisite is the perception, by the bully or by others, of an imbalance of social or physical power, which distinguishes bullying from conflict.[1] Behaviors used to assert such domination can include verbal harassment or threat, physical assault or coercion, and such acts may be directed repeatedly towards particular targets. "

One could argue that, while not being told repeatedly that you should kill yourself, it can't constitute as bullying.
But i feel like we're going down the road of semantics and i'd rather let the one being harassed be the judge of whether or not they feel like they're being bullied or not. You are of course welcome to disagree but at that point i feel like you're just downplaying the issue or deflecting it (Not you you, but in general). A similar (but oh so different) scenario, i don't tell rape victims whether or not they've been raped or not, according to pure definition of the word.

Been getting crazy remarks, sometimes racist, thrown at me since Halo 2. I used to report every single incident, but I didn't really know if anything was being done or not.
I feel like all those reports go to the same spot all of the letters written to Santa Claus go

The incinerator

accx

I feel like all those reports go to the same spot all of the letters written to Santa Claus go

The incinerator

I've been thinking about this a lot and i dunno what one should do about it.
Should the one providing the game post statistics? On one hand it'll show how rampant the hate is (which is bad PR for the game) but on one hand it'll show how much are being done about it (good PR).
Companies love keeping the status quo though...

EDIT:
I guess showing statistics about how much toxic shit talk is going on would be inviting for most.
Just look at Every MOBA ever made.

MAX PAYMENT

Ignoring is the same as enabling.

If we talk about it and highlight the shitty nature of being a fucking racist/misogynist/random hate speech advocate, we might actually begin to signal that "this is not okay, this shouldn't ever be okay" and we can evolve from it and become better.
Just saying "ignore it and it'll go away" has proven time and time again that it does not work.
In what world has a problem solved itself with just not thinking about it, beyond just sheltering yourself from it? You're creating your own, desensitised bubble that only protect you, without giving fuck all about the next person. Is that the world we should live in?
No.

Don't worry, it's just banter.

I see your point, I really do. But this world has far, FAR greater issues than Internet bullying. There are tangible things people can go out and physically do to help make the world a slightly better place. Someone raising their hand and saying "I'm offended" on a video game console on their high speed Internet from the comfort of their couch screams "first-world problems."

accx

I see your point, I really do. But this world has far, FAR greater issues than Internet bullying. There are tangible things people can go out and physically do to help make the world a slightly better place. Someone raising their hand and saying "I'm offended" on a video game console on their high speed Internet from the comfort of their couch screams "first-world problems."

So again, we should just ignore it because there's bigger issues?
Are you not capable of caring about different things? Can you only type, or can you only eat, or can you only sleep? (i'm well aware of the hyperbole).
I mean, it's absolutely essential to be a normal human being to be able to care about and think about different things.
It's a first world problem in the sense that we have the luxury to care about something that's somewhat miniscule compared to the destruction of the whole planet.
Ignoring it however, what does that accomplish? Fuck it, let's all just be shithead nihilists and start kill each other because fuck it, it's just first world problems.

EDIT:
Why should we care about the morality regarding killing one another or stealing from one another if we shouldn't care about threatening one another?
Why care about anything at all? We should just spend time complaining about other people being treated like shit instead! That's my fucking life goal.
(I meant complaining about people "complaining" about being treated like shit. You know what i meant.)

EDIT2:
I'm going to die on this hill aren't i.

EDIT3:
Natels comment down below is where i bow out. Jesus christ. I'm staying over at the OT from now on.

fireflame

The sad thing is, insult and threat are normalized and almost taken as a normal thing. I believe this is a problem. People say this is just Internet, but Internet is made by humans for humans. The same issues happen at school, and they arent taken seriously enough yet, which can lead to tragic consequences or life term damages. Some people keep sequels of insults years after they were said, this hurts their self confidence, they do not trust other anymore, avoid going out.

So yes, perhaps an insult during a game should not be taken seriously. I dont think this is first world problem. This happens behind a screen, but that says something about society. There are people who never insult and people who keep insulting. Is this acceptable just because it is Internet.

And by saying that i am not considering myself a member of the left wing or the right wing. It is about making sure the quality standards of mankind do not drop.If a kid is harrased at schol, do you have to wait for him to get into a depression or try to hurt himself to take actions? I am sure that many problems happen because we once thought "there are worse problems" and let things get worse.

Keep fighting the good fight. I don't have the energy or care to report idiots in MP games but if you do all the more power to you.
the last 2 games i've been pouring hours into are yakuza 0 and Uc4 online. yakuza 0 is of course mostly a single player game but i've been playing Uc4 online, only with a friend though so there's party chat. i haven't had to deal with complaints like what OP went through in a very long time. it's disgusting that it is a reality though.

RalchAC

The sad thing is, insult and threat are normalized and almost taken as a normal thing. I believe this is a problem. People say this is just Internet, but Internet is made by humans for humans. The same issues happen at school, and they arent taken seriously enough yet, which can lead to tragic consequences or life term damages. Some people keep sequels of insults years after they were said, this hurts their self confidence, they do not trust other anymore, avoid going out.

So yes, perhaps an insult during a game should not be taken seriously. I dont think this is first world problem. This happens behind a screen, but that says something about society. There are people who never insult and people who keep insulting. Is this acceptable just because it is Internet.

And by saying that i am not considering myself a member of the left wing or the right wing. It is about making sure the quality standards of mankind do not drop.If a kid is harrased at schol, do you have to wait for him to get into a depression or try to hurt himself to take actions? I am sure that many problems happen because we once thought "there are worse problems" and let things get worse.

I usually try not to say anything in the Internet that could get myself punched in the face in real life. I wish more people thought like that.

That why I haven't played much online in the last few years. Mostly co-op stuff with friends and Discord. I don't know when it was that people started being so toxic, but when I played WoW before and around 2010 I don't remember people being THAT toxic. And I liked to casually play BGs, which were full of people trying to command the group only to grow frustrated because nobody listened to them.

I would like to see an experiment where 2 servers are set up. One all trash talking and one with zero tolerance. I want to see which one has a bigger population after a few months.

On a side note growing up playing basketball, lacrosse, football. Being told to kill myself with a gun doesn't even register to myself as an insult...its so tame I guess. Especially if your playing a game where the objective is to literally kill someone with a gun.

Blindy

Rocket League has really gone downhill as far as the begging for keys where people will not play the game and would rather waste a slot and chat it up trying to trade for keys.

I was told the other day to "Sell my PS4" because an idiot(With a mic) has no concept of hockey/soccer. I pass the ball to our back to take a long distance shot or to get a better shot that I would and this idiot misses the ball(Which did cost us a goal and a win 2-1 we lost by) and then continues to chipe that why am I passing the ball backwards. In my head, my response was to pass it to the goalie to give them a good shot to get the ball cleared and I wanted to tell him please educate yourself and watch some soccer or hockey to see what it means to give the ball to your goalie in your zone/area to avoid danger.

I have been called the N word on Overwatch(PS4) a few times probably due to my PSN name but I am the palest fucker you will find so I just laugh at that uncreative nonsense. Doesn't bother me one bit.

Blindy

Rocket League also has idiots who just fuck around on the goal and even try and stop their own teammates shots. Such a waste of time, I did respond to one of those idiots saying to stop wasting everyone's time in the text chat.

There's just no honor or class anymore in multiplayer, I always appreciate a good 1vs1 in Souls games but people are too weak to give such and need to rely on the numbers game. Proves absolutely nothing to yourself and to the opponent to win a 2vs1 battle.

Maybe I am in the minority but I think it is more fun to 1vs1 someone if given the chance to? More of a challenge. I know this happened quite a bit with Playstation All Stars Battle Royale a few years back where I got partnered with a rando and that person timed out and I got teamed up on. Proves absolutely nothing.

Losing a 1vs1 fair and square irritates me more than losing a numbers game so in that regard, the trolling doesn't really work on me and if anything gives me vindication that I was better than them to have one of their guys on the ropes only to fall back and rely on a buddy to try and win and then get cheap shots in. If I lose a 1vs1 and barring crappy connections or anything of that nature, I can blame no one but myself for the loss and can say I lost fair and square to someone who is better or at least was better in that match/duel.

Given plenty of GGs and positive praise for people who deserve it, I am more along the lines of rewarding positive play than shitting on people.

Zakalwe

Banned
I think Trump rallies showed that's not exactly true either...

I'm talking about the kind of people who wouldn't attend those rallies.

The term "internet tough guy" is true many times. There's no doubt a lot of the things said online, even with full name on display, wouldn't be said in person as the parties involved would be too cowardly.

Distance, detachment, whatever it is, there is absolutely something that gives people the ability to shit-talk online when they wouldn't have the stones too IRL.

Skyzard

Banned
I just get people adding me saying I have a nice voice, especially from Overwatch lol

A bit more hate messages since I started playing For Honor. Probably standard for a fighting game though I've had some nice messages from that too.

It takes an incredible amount of mental gymnastics to believe that being told to kill yourself for no reason does not register as 'actual' bullying.

Like I said if you're comparing this to actual bullying then you're really downplaying what actual bullying is.

Zakalwe

Banned

Bullying is almost always repeated or habitual, I don't think a random one-ff shit-comment from an overly charged idiot counts and I think it takes away from actual instances of bullying by labelling these encounters that way.

Telling someone to kill themselves even once IS bullying//harassment/intentionally malicious behavior.

Y'all can put your fucking dictionaries away on this one jesus fucking christ

No, not if it's a single comment made in the heat of the moment it's not.

Okay, well you're wrong. My edit is a little clearer, but you're still wrong and the "heat of the moment" means literally fucking nothing.

Are we really trying to consider the intent of a person who tells people to kill themselves? Because that's unbelievably fucking stupid.

"Oops I'm sorry I didn't actually mean to tell another human being they should end their life I was just kidding/angry/not thinking."

you poor poor child. Except your not a child, if you were you would have been called worse by now, assuming you use voice chat.

Zakalwe

Banned
Okay, well you're wrong. My edit is a little clearer, but you're still wrong and the "heat of the moment" means literally fucking nothing.

I'm not though. If I say "go kill yourself, idiot" because I get made you killed me in a CoD match, I didn't bully you. If I repeatedly make comments over the course of said match in an effort to intimidate/upset you, I bullied you.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Honestly, trash talk in highly competitive games like this doesn't bother me. Kinda comes with the territory these days. Especially in games that people take super serious, like CS or MOBA's.
So instead of saying he's fucking your mother he went to some other edgy remark. It's just kids getting heated over a loss. They'll say whatever dumb shit enters their brains.

And I don't think it's bullying unless it's targeted specifically to you. You could have been any other player out there beating him in RL and you would probably get the same shit hurled towards you. Its indiscriminate offensiveness.
Just report and move on. And turn off chat forever.

CSJ

I've been bullied, mentally and physically in person in my youth, many years ago.

This is not bullying, this is just people being morons on the internet, it's not targeted and relentless from the same person or people over and over, they're not going out of their way to do this.
You can block them, you can laugh at them because there's literally nothing they can do except hurl random shit.

Bullying on the internet exists, but for those who actually suffer with it today, they're going to laugh at you thinking this is anything close.

I'm not though. If I say "go kill yourself, idiot" because I get made you killed me in a CoD match, I didn't bully you. If I repeatedly make comments over the course of said match in an effort to intimidate/upset you, I bullied you.

Okay, let's change from "bully" to "psychologically intimidate and harass."

Ah much better :)

Whether you like it or not, you don't get to define the consequences of actions like this. "Kill yourself" is absolutely not on the same level as raging at someone and saying other things. It isn't. Period.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Okay, let's change from "bully" to "psychologically intimidate and harass."

Ah much better :)

I'd call it an edgelord talking trash because he lost a match. Because that's what it is.

And if 'Kill yourself' is where you draw the line then I guess you haven't played online much. Kids these days will say anything to get a reaction from you.

Telling someone to kill themselves even once IS bullying//harassment/intentionally malicious behavior.

Y'all can put your fucking dictionaries away on this one jesus fucking christ

No it's not. I was bullied for years in school and it was absolute hell. Waking up every day knowing that I'm going to get terroriesed physically and verbally for 6 hours and not being able to do anything about it, being completely helpless. I can't count the number of times I sat in my room crying before getting the bust to school knowing what was ahead of me.

You can't go to adults for help because that makes things worse in the long run. You can't stand up for yourself because you're usually not being bullied by just one person. That feeling of absolute helplessness and patheticness will never leave me.

If you're comparing that to a comment someone made online, that isn't personal and can literally be ignored by pressing a button then you are insulting anyone who has ever had to deal with real bulling. A single throwaway comment is not bullying. Unless someone is following you from lobby to lobby and spamming you with insults it's not bullying nor harrassment, it's just some guy being a dick. You don't get to play the 'I'm being bullied' card when you have the power to completely block communications from anyone you don't want to speak to.

Zakalwe

Banned
No it's not. I was bullied for years in school and it was absolute hell. Waking up every day knowing that I'm going to get terroriesed physically and verbally for 6 hours and not being able to do anything about it, being completely helpless. I can't count the number of times I sat in my room crying before getting the bust to school knowing what was ahead of me.

You can't go to adults for help because that makes things worse in the long run. You can't stand up for yourself because you're usually not being bullied by just one person. That feeling of absolute helplessness and patheticness will never leave me.

If you're comparing that to a comment someone made online, that isn't personal and can literally be ignored by pressing a button then you are insulting anyone who has ever had to deal with real bulling. A single throwaway comment is not bullying. Unless someone is following you from lobbly to lobby, spamming you with insults it's not bullying nor harrassment, it's just some guy being a dick. You don't get to play the 'I'm being bullied' card when you have the power to completely block communications from anyone you don't want to speak to.

Indeed. Well said, and sorry for what you had to go through. I experienced bullying too, so I have a lot of empathy here.

It's not harassment if its one comment, so nope.

I'm not sure if you're aware, but inducing people to commit suicide is not something you look good arguing semantics on.

I can tell you're going to continue to fight me hard for your right to tell people to kill themselves and be fine with yourself, so I'm bowing out of discussing this with you. But my last word on the subject is that telling another person to kill themselves EVEN ONCE is a malicious act that can have serious consequences regardless of "intent" (lol), and doing do is absolutely not on the same level as spouting off in other ways, even if you think otherwise to make yourself feel okay about doing it.

I'm not sure (will read the GAF ToS), but I have a feeling you'd get banned from GAF for saying it to someone. So take from that what you will.

Septimius

I'm not though. If I say "go kill yourself, idiot" because I get mad you killed me in a CoD match, I didn't bully you. If I repeatedly make comments over the course of said match in an effort to intimidate/upset you, I bullied you.

I don't think comments like these should be downplayed like this. While these types of comments are way too common online, they are not OK to make. Even if it is "just once". It's the same battle as downplaying rape by using it in hateful comments, and using "fag" as a derogative term. None of these things are OK, and it being in the heat of the moment doesn't change the fact that it's an utterly despicable comment to make. In an utter consequence, you can make it to the wrong person and do actual harm. If the focus then is that "the person was already on the edge" or anything of the likes, is nothing but disregarding the fact that there's never a reason to say something as outright deplorable as this. The fact that it's because you're mad someone killed you in CoD should make it even more ridiculous.

nkarafo

I don't think a random avatar saying mean things to someone else's avatar counts as bullying.

When someone harasses you, personally, the person holding the controller, then sure. But it's impossible for some random kid who doesn't even know you to harass you. He is just harassing a random avatar online. As far as he/she is concerned, you could be anyone besides you. And for all you know, he/she could be a 10 year old kid with attention span issues. We are all adults here (i think) so i'm asking, would you feel you are being bullied by a 10 year old yelling insults and death threats at you?

People need to stop taking this so seriously.

CSJ

You don't get to play the 'I'm being bullied' card when you have the power to completely block communications from anyone you don't want to speak to.

Makes me wonder, what kind of sheltered life people who think this is actually bullying had to think like that. Makes me think they cannot have been bullied at all like you or me to think like that. When you have perspective in the actual matter then they'd understand.

You'd hope.

Zakalwe

Banned
I don't think comments like these should be downplayed like this. While these types of comments are way too common online, they are not OK to make. Even if it is "just once". It's the same battle as downplaying rape by using it in hateful comments, and using "fag" as a derogative term. None of these things are OK, and it being in the heat of the moment doesn't change the fact that it's an utterly despicable comment to make.

I'm saying it's not bullying, I'm not saying it's ok.

I'm not sure if you're aware, but inducing people to commit suicide is not something you look good arguing semantics on.

I can tell you're going to continue to fight me hard for your right to tell people to kill themselves and be fine with yourself, so I'm bowing out of discussing this with you. But my last word on the subject is that telling another person to kill themselves EVEN ONCE is a malicious act that can have serious consequences regardless of "intent" (lol), and doing do is absolutely not on the same level as spouting off in other ways, even if you think otherwise to make yourself feel okay about doing it.

I'm not sure (will read the GAF ToS), but I have a feeling you'd get banned from GAF for saying it to someone. So take from that what you will.

I'm not the only one calling you out here. You're wrong, it's not bullying, but stick to your guns if you want to.

And lol at ths spin you tried to make here to paint me as supporting people's right to tell others to kill themselves. Really, dude?

Septimius

I'm not the only one calling you out here. You're wrong, it's not bullying, but stick to your guns if you want to.

And lol at ths spin you tried to make here to paint me as supporting people's right to tell others to kill themselves. Really, dude?

It's distasteful to argue semantics to this extent when the obvious matter is that saying someone should kill themselves is not something you should ever do.

Just to make the case against you, the dictionary says:
bully
- to act the bully toward; intimidate; domineer.

Bullying can be systematic and over a long period of time, but it can most definitely also be a single act.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I don't think comments like these should be downplayed like this. While these types of comments are way too common online, they are not OK to make. Even if it is "just once". It's the same battle as downplaying rape by using it in hateful comments, and using "fag" as a derogative term. None of these things are OK, and it being in the heat of the moment doesn't change the fact that it's an utterly despicable comment to make.

Nobody says that it is OK for people to be saying these things.
But it's just how bad apples in every gaming community happen to behave right now.

These people have short tempers, are emboldened by their anonymity and hurl expletives without care, without thinking.
Do they actually want the OP to kill himself with a gun? Hell no, they want to offend you in the worst way and then quickly disconnect to find another match to play.

The cycle will continue unless people report them en masse and they get banned.

Top Bottom